Rye Whisky

General discussion.
Oldbindlestiff
Gold Member

Rye Whisky

Post by Oldbindlestiff » 27 Jan 2015, 21:16

I'm on a rye whisky jag. I've tried several. Bulleit is the current sippin' favorite. Suggestions?
Karma. Serving up justice one a**hole at a time.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Re: Rye Whisky

Post by panzermk2 » 27 Jan 2015, 22:55

Yeah moonshine made with rye.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ » 28 Jan 2015, 07:47

Don't know if its rye, but the best bourbon ever is Basil Hayden's

Oldbindlestiff
Gold Member

Post by Oldbindlestiff » 28 Jan 2015, 07:50

Plenty of homemade whisky around here. The town has just approved the legal production of liquor. There are two distilleries here already. Legal 'shine appears to be the next "hot" thing.

White whisky doesn't have the flavor profile of whisky aged in wood. Potent, though.

Oldbindlestiff
Gold Member

Post by Oldbindlestiff » 28 Jan 2015, 07:56

Hayden is a lovely bourbon, but, not rye. Moved from Scotch/Irish whisky to bourbon in the 70's when I worked in Virginia. There are very many excellent bourbons but my income doesn't allow indulging in much of the single barrel offerings. Just exploring different rye whiskies for taste and sipping. The days of getting wasted on Black Jack or Turkey are long gone!

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Post by Cyberfly » 28 Jan 2015, 15:50

I always preferred single malts, but recently have switched back to bourbons. Both are pretty pricy for the aged stuff.
STILL, if you want cheap and easy to swallow, nothing beats a good apple pie moonshine!
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

nrv216

Post by nrv216 » 28 Jan 2015, 19:20

I have not delved too deep into the world of ryes yet either but, out of what I've had, I really like Whistlepig.

nrv216

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 28 Jan 2015, 19:24

Cyberfly wrote: nothing beats a good apple pie moonshine!
:thumb:
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 28 Jan 2015, 23:37

Oldbindlestiff wrote:
White whisky doesn't have the flavor profile of whisky aged in wood. Potent, though.
Maybe I need to try that. I used to be a fan of whiskey but a few years ago something changed and I cannot stand whiskey, bourbon, or scotch. Just the smell makes me sick. I don't even like scotch-ales and certain red wines (though I don't really like ANY red wines...).
panzermk2 wrote:
Cyberfly wrote: nothing beats a good apple pie moonshine!
:thumb:
I could agree with this all day!

JCIS1

Post by JCIS1 » 29 Jan 2015, 04:12

At my age now I only drink for the taste so I only drink the best I can afford way before I decide to open it! So it produces a desire worth waiting for and leaves a good memory afterwards. Like a good woman. Or shooting a great gun with the best ammo possible like the FN5.7 and Elite Ammo.

Oldbindlestiff
Gold Member

Post by Oldbindlestiff » 29 Jan 2015, 07:00

Lots of legal moonshine is available now. Old Smoky, Popcorn Sutton, Tim Smith (of TV "fame") and a host of others. Still prefer the homemade stuff because it can be around 100+ proof. Apple pie has a nice flavor, or, drop a piece of cinnamon stick in a jar and stick it in the freezer for a while. Nice.

Considered Whistle Pig during my latest trip to buy, but, bought Templeton instead. (Not bad, but I still prefer Bulleit.) Next trip, I guess.

Still have a bottle of 18 year old Glenfiddich on hand. Well, half a bottle. Sank the other half saluting the passing of a lifelong friend who gave it to me. It is a nice whisky.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 29 Jan 2015, 11:42

Cyberfly wrote:I always preferred single malts, but recently have switched back to bourbons. Both are pretty pricy for the aged stuff.
STILL, if you want cheap and easy to swallow, nothing beats a good apple pie moonshine!
I have 2 jam containers of apple pie moonshine and blackberry moonshine... just had a great bourbon the other day, can't remember the name. It was a slim, square container. Had Glenfiddich 12, last night. Partner had the bill, so I got a little tipsy and ended it with that glass. Started out with Long Island, then went to Old Fashioned, then tequila (the liquor of my choice), then scotch.

I've had some good Irish ones, but I'm not that into scotch. It's more for folk who want to sit and sip.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

Captan Harold D

Post by Captan Harold D » 29 Jan 2015, 13:36

What's the best Tequila these days?

Reverend Herc
Platinum Member
custom title: Outstanding!!!

Post by Reverend Herc » 29 Jan 2015, 22:26

I have 2 jam containers of apple pie moonshine and blackberry moonshine... just had a great bourbon the other day, can't remember the name. It was a slim, square container. Had Glenfiddich 12, last night. Partner had the bill, so I got a little tipsy and ended it with that glass. Started out with Long Island, then went to Old Fashioned, then tequila (the liquor of my choice), then scotch.

I've had some good Irish ones, but I'm not that into scotch. It's more for folk who want to sit and sip.
Your mix of liquors sounds like a hangover to me... :puke:
There can only be two.

Oldbindlestiff
Gold Member

Post by Oldbindlestiff » 30 Jan 2015, 09:17

Blue said about Scotch whisky: "...It's more for folk who want to sit and sip." Well, age and experience (floor-crawling, porcelaine convenience-hugging and nails driven into your forehead hangovers) will cure the taste for mixing liquors. Well, except for whisky and beer.

What tequila are you drinking, Blue?

Hobknob
Gold Member

Post by Hobknob » 30 Jan 2015, 11:37

blueorison wrote:
Cyberfly wrote:I always preferred single malts, but recently have switched back to bourbons. Both are pretty pricy for the aged stuff.

Your drinking sounds somewhat similar to mine :)
Was that whiskey Bastille by chance? bottle sounds about right and it's pretty tasty.

I'm on an XR kick at the moment for whiskey, but I did pick up a bottle of Dry Fly and it's got a nice flavor profile.

oh, and for Tequila, I like Certeza (Anejo and Reposado)

to the OP: I haven't tried a Rye whiskey that I liked even remotely close enough to buy another bottle of it. it doesn't even mix well with coke (the default way to dispose of subpar whiskey or rum).
-- Thank you for calling 911 emergency services, please hold --
~~ \|/ ~~

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 30 Jan 2015, 15:50

Girls have softball pitching practice tonight. Their coach loves to embibe and I'm taking him a jar each of my apple pie, cherry limeade and watermelon moonshines.
He'll thank me tonight.
He'll curse me tomorrow.
So goes life...

Oldbindlestiff
Gold Member

Post by Oldbindlestiff » 31 Jan 2015, 08:21

Cyberfly wrote:Girls have softball pitching practice tonight. Their coach loves to embibe and I'm taking him a jar each of my apple pie, cherry limeade and watermelon moonshines.
He'll thank me tonight.
He'll curse me tomorrow.
So goes life...

That's what friends are for! Never tried watermelon shine. Recipe?

jmz5
Site Admin

Post by jmz5 » 01 Feb 2015, 10:32

Put watermelon chunks in a blender, add to shine.
كاف

Cheef

Post by Cheef » 01 Feb 2015, 11:36

I'm surprised George hasn't shown up in this thread.
Back when I imbibed he was my choice.
Can never go wrong with a good sour mash.
http://www.georgedickel.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 01 Feb 2015, 20:02

Actually, flavored shine is easy to make. Just remember it's a 2:1 ratio. Two parts juice to 1 part shine. Add sugar to your taste (some like it sweeter to mask the bitterness of the shine) and jar it. The longer it sits, the smoother it gets.
If you want to make apple pie shine, take part of the apple juice, boil it with cinnamon sticks, a pinch of allspice, brown sugar and white sugar and a few tsp of vanilla. Let it cool, mix it back to your apple juice and then add your shine.
For the watermelon, you can buy watermelon juice at most grocery stores. Same with peach. Some folks will add flavored vodkas to increase both the artificial flavors and to add a little extra % to the alcohol, but I prefer to keep it just juices and alcohol. If you can't get moonshine, you can use 191 proof grain alcohol like Everclear or Crystal River.
I've heard people gripe, 'the proof is so low'...that's not the point. The point is, it's flavored and SMOOTH. If you make it sweet, let it mellow for a couple of months in a cool, dark place, you can't hardly taste the alcohol. You tend to drink too much in one sitting and IT WILL KNOCK YOUR D!CK IN THE DIRT.
I like to make apple pie, peach, watermelon, caramel apple (apple with caramel coffee syrup), cherry limeade and blackberry. Easily, the apple pie is the local favorite, but my personal fave is watermelon. The missus loves the peach. My neighbor is a fool for the caramel apple and my twin boys love the cherry limeade. Blackberry is something I rarely make because I tend to not let it sit long enough to mellow... :D

Oldbindlestiff
Gold Member

Post by Oldbindlestiff » 02 Feb 2015, 06:33

Thanks, Fly! I can see that you are serious about 'shine. The only thing I make with Everclear is Limoncello, and it is cut with water.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 02 Feb 2015, 16:01

Too many people come to me for their fix. There are a few people around here who sell liquid rust in a jar and call it apple pie shine.
Yes, mine is sweeter than most, but that's what people like. The fellas who aren't big on the sweet stuff say that it's better over ice, the ladies like it straight or even warmed like a toddy.
Either way, the sweeter you make it, the more it masks the alcohol taste and the easier it is to get smashed.

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 02 Feb 2015, 16:55

And I'm sure all the extra sugar doesn't help the hangover in the morning ;)

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 03 Feb 2015, 10:04

Captan Harold D wrote:What's the best Tequila these days?
Oldbindlestiff wrote:Blue said about Scotch whisky: "...It's more for folk who want to sit and sip." Well, age and experience (floor-crawling, porcelaine convenience-hugging and nails driven into your forehead hangovers) will cure the taste for mixing liquors. Well, except for whisky and beer.

What tequila are you drinking, Blue?
Tequila is like Scotch in that the middle/bottom shelf ones are somewhat known to the public (ie the lower bottles of Patron). Although, scotch/Irish/Whiskey is less publicized, for some reason; probably the higher proof leading to a not-so-party/sipping atmosphere.

But once you get to the better bottles/really good bottles, it's a lot like BBQ here in Austin/Texas.

It isn't "which is the best"; it's "wow they are all so good, which one do I prefer?"

Gran Centenario and Don Julio 1942 are both touted bottles. I like neither of them; the fore because it is vegetal as ****; the latter because it is overpriced and not that great in character.

OBS; to answer your question; it depends. When I'm festive with friends, I tend to shoot blanco/repo and when I'm drinking alone (it's cold! so I do it somewhat often), I prefer anejo. All neat, just as I prefer my Scotch served.

Ok, now to more succinct and polar answers myself and others prefer;

Blanco

1. A VERY good blanco is Fina Estampa. Runs 30-40$ per and is so darn good for a blanco, I won't hype it. It is peppery, slightly smokey, and goes GREAT with the ladies when you merge it with fresh watermelon slices or in a cocktail (add an orange twist/rind).

I don't like shooting this blanco because it is really good, but I have no issues doing so when with good friends.

2. A fun shooter that is actually really good in quality and character is Cavalino. The packaging is awful, but it's like the IOM. Looks stupid as ****, but shoots great. The Anejo from Cavalino is the biggest sleeper tequila to-date. It is very solid. But again, packaging looks dumb.

Repo

1. Don Cosme - if you like smooth, but still that slight tequila oomph; this is a great bottle. The repo is slightly sweet, with vanilla and is NOT spice-y. Anise is fine, but most other spices belong in rum, not my freakin glass of tequila. I also do not like vegetal tequilas (Gran Centenario).

2. A fun repo/not really a repo comes in the form of Sotol. It's from a different plant. But it's fun. H5 Sotol.

Anejo

1. If you like scotch, this is for you. Casa Noble single barrel Anejo. Or it might be extra anejo. I don't recall. Black, porcelain/ceramic bottle. It's like honey and very fragrant.

2. If you like a richer, bolder character, go with Extra Anejos.

3. Budget Anejos that are pretty good are Antigua, Milagro, Cavalino.

p.s.

I'm sad because it's kinda rum weather, now, but freakin Ron Zacapa is one of the few rums I like to sip but I don't want to pay $50 for it. Though, I would pay $50 for a good tequila.. I guess I'm partial to tequila, more than rum.
Shoot more, worry less.

Oldbindlestiff
Gold Member

Post by Oldbindlestiff » 03 Feb 2015, 11:17

Thanks, Blue! I am partial to the repo's but might spring for an anejo from your list if I can find it here in TN.

Captan Harold D

Post by Captan Harold D » 03 Feb 2015, 12:48

Thanks for the info Blue;
Like OBS, If I can find any of those, I'll give em a try. Do you find those brands there in Austin. I have a brother living there and will sick him on it.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 03 Feb 2015, 13:16

Oldbindlestiff wrote:Thanks, Blue! I am partial to the repo's but might spring for an anejo from your list if I can find it here in TN.
Definitely! I like repos, too. Blancos are usually shooters, unless it is Fina Estampa, then it's good for enjoying.

Both Cavalino and Don Cosme makes for a straightforward, enjoyable repo. I pulled my Don Cosme repo notes; posted, below.

Don cosme
Nose: Cool, floral. Like mountain water. Young pineapple, not roasted. 0 traces of vegetal, brine, or unwanted crap.
Tongue: Sweet on entry, vanilla and slight sandalwood. Very pleasant legs, actually has a nice thickness to it that adds value.
Character: Straightforward as a repo should be, with a very confidant body. No frills, while still maintaining a floral value. Very slight warmth.
Finish: Very slight nuttiness. Very, very slight. As in, if you had licked the shell of a cracked walnut. Buttery with a very very small hint of bitterness.

Overall: Straightforward, enjoyable, with no stupidity. Like an older woman (early 30s). Almost.

Captan Harold D wrote:Thanks for the info Blue;
Like OBS, If I can find any of those, I'll give em a try. Do you find those brands there in Austin. I have a brother living there and will sick him on it.
Yeap, Specs and Twin Liquors carries them. Specs has the best tequila selection I've seen in any store in any state I've visited.

If you like rum, etc. Go for a nice Anejo with Cavalino (again, don't let the stupid packaging fool you).

If you like something younger and lighter on its feet, go for the repo. Don Cosme is my current fave, with 4Copas on the list. El Milagro single barrel is also a good one to field, but expensive (IIRC, $60 and up).
Shoot more, worry less.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 03 Feb 2015, 13:56

I treat Tequila like C4.

Like C4's dirty little sister Semtex I prefer Mezcal.

Mezcal is the dirty little sister of Tequila I prefer to party with.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Hobknob
Gold Member

Post by Hobknob » 04 Feb 2015, 15:53

panzermk2 wrote:I treat Tequila like C4.

you just wanted an excuse to say "dirty", "sister", "tequila" , C4 and "Semtex" in the same breath didn't you?
-- Thank you for calling 911 emergency services, please hold --
~~ \|/ ~~

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 04 Feb 2015, 21:38

Hobknob wrote:
panzermk2 wrote:I treat Tequila like C4.

you just wanted an excuse to say "dirty", "sister", "tequila" , C4 and "Semtex" in the same breath didn't you?

Yep. :thumb:
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 05 Feb 2015, 01:19

Mezcal is sooo expensive. There are some $40 bottles, but mostly $80-100 a bottle.

I've always wanted to try it, but forgot. I'll give it a whirl.
Shoot more, worry less.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 14 Feb 2015, 22:05

I bought a $40 bottle of Mezcal.

It's really good, but doesn't have the body of a good tequila.

It's like the red-headed stepchild of Tequila.

No one really knows about it, it's sultry and sweet, and doesn't smack you.

Ok, it's like the blonde-headed stepchild of Tequila.

I think at the price-point, I prefer Tequila for the stronger body. Mezcal is nice, however; I like it.
Shoot more, worry less.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 14 Feb 2015, 23:46

blueorison wrote:I bought a $40 bottle of Mezcal.

It's really good, but doesn't have the body of a good tequila.

It's like the red-headed stepchild of Tequila.

No one really knows about it, it's sultry and sweet, and doesn't smack you.

Ok, it's like the blonde-headed stepchild of Tequila.

I think at the price-point, I prefer Tequila for the stronger body. Mezcal is nice, however; I like it.

It's the dirty little sister like I said.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Oldbindlestiff
Gold Member

Post by Oldbindlestiff » 15 Feb 2015, 08:19

Well, my last experience with mezcal was memorable but best forgotten. Can't find any anejo tequila, except Don Julio, anywhere within fifty miles or so. At $48 a pint, I am a bit reticent to try it.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 16 Feb 2015, 17:17

Oldbindlestiff wrote:Well, my last experience with mezcal was memorable but best forgotten. Can't find any anejo tequila, except Don Julio, anywhere within fifty miles or so. At $48 a pint, I am a bit reticent to try it.
I didn't know it was that bad, in other states.
Shoot more, worry less.

Oldbindlestiff
Gold Member

Post by Oldbindlestiff » 17 Feb 2015, 09:18

Lots of tequila, blanco and some reposados. In eastern TN, people drink to sink. Oh, wait, those are Floridians.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 17 Feb 2015, 10:47

Repos, in many cases, are more preferred than Anejos, which might be too woody.

A very good repo is Corzo. It's soft, creamy, with orange and cake notes. It is expensive.
Shoot more, worry less.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 21 Feb 2015, 22:05

Idaho has started getting stuff like the flavored moonshine y'all keep talking about & even everclear in the liquor stores.
Strange thing though, they haven't changed the laws about what can be sold here, still a limit of 151 Proof.
Checked the labels, everclear is 151 proof & the moonshine is only 100 proof.

LIES! ALL LIES!!!!
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

Oldbindlestiff
Gold Member

Post by Oldbindlestiff » 22 Feb 2015, 12:00

Most of the flavored white whiskeys sold here are 80 proof. Homemade 'shine can vary depending on the artisan who crafted it. Once found, patronize the maker!

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 22 Feb 2015, 14:02

What proof is the flavored shine though?
In my experience, which isn't a whole lot admittedly, moonshine is much more than 100 proof.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 22 Feb 2015, 15:38

Flavored can vary. Backwoods run 80 to 100.

110 being the norm drinking straight sipping shine.

Store bought can be as low as 40.

Best to get 110 sipping and blend you own flavored.

That is how I make my Apple pie.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 22 Feb 2015, 17:16

Everclear has two different strengths. 151, for those states that limit, and 190 for those who aren't nannies.

The flavored shines will BE a lot lower proof. To make it, and make it right, the ratio is 2:1. Two parts flavored apple juice to 1 part full strength shine. OR, 2 parts blackberry, peach, strawberry, watermelon, limeade...whatever. It's always 2:1.
Now, you are probably whining..er, SAYING, that it's too low to be considered shine anymore. That REAL moonshine can be used to clean the points and plugs on your car and your gullet while you're doing the tune up. Not really. Moonshine is just made (usually) illegally. Not always safely and can land your butt in jail.
HOWEVER, with that said, when I make my stuff, I add extra sugar because it masks the strength. You tend to drink way too much too fast and end up on the floor. Those who claim that 190 + proof shine is the only way to go, no longer has a sense of taste. Their nasal passages are burnt out and could probably drink gasoline and think it had a 'decent aroma, but little kick'.
There are ways to 'up' the proof on the flavored shines. I do it all the time. It adds a little extra flavor and increases the kick at the same time.
When I make a flavored shine, part of the flavoring can be flavored vodka. True, it isn't real shine, but for the 98% of the people drinking it, they won't notice that 10-15% of vodka that is added. Yes, it gives it extra kick, and can easily push it past 90 proof.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 22 Feb 2015, 18:45

I had someone buy me the good everclear from out of state on one of their trips a while back, not needing the weaker kind.

Didn't realize flavored shine was so watered down, might try it.

Oldbindlestiff
Gold Member

Post by Oldbindlestiff » 23 Feb 2015, 08:00

IMHO, 'Fly is correct in his observation that 190 proof is not drinkable. The Everclear sold here is 151 proof (75.5 % alcohol) and is adequate to make flavored liqueurs.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 23 Feb 2015, 20:38

Trust me. The flavored stuff, when done right, is flipping awesome!
It still has bite, mellows significantly when it's aged and is flavored and sweet enough that both men and women enjoy it and tend to drink too much.

M1P90
Forum Supporter

Post by M1P90 » 25 Feb 2015, 04:38

(I hear) if you use 3lbs of sugar per gallon of water (15lbs sugar in 5 gallon bucket) with yeast you get a simple mash.
The key (I hear) is to distill it 3 times through a Megahome Countertop Water Distiller. Make sure you add more pure water after each distillation to bring the proof down to 70-80 or the pressure of distilling too much alcohol will cause the top to pop off and you loose all that good stuff. Finally pour the last batch through a Brita water filter to take out that final yeast taste. You will end up with a nice smooth product that you can Proof to your liking. :)

PEACE THROUGH STRENGTH
http://www.M1bullpup.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 25 Feb 2015, 12:51

WOW that would be a nice Rum.

Fancy set up though pricey. Checked the distiller on Amazon.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 25 Feb 2015, 12:54

I like this set up, theoretically of course.

Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Reverend Herc
Platinum Member
custom title: Outstanding!!!

Post by Reverend Herc » 25 Feb 2015, 17:12

Any recommendations on home stills would be wonderful!
There can only be two.

M1P90
Forum Supporter

Post by M1P90 » 26 Feb 2015, 06:09

panzermk2 wrote:WOW that would be a nice Rum.

Fancy set up though pricey. Checked the distiller on Amazon.
The initial set up would be a little pricey but the end result would be about $3.00 per liter (sugar, yeast, clarifier). It is very easy to run. So I hear. :D

PEACE THROUGH STRENGTH
http://www.M1bullpup.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oldbindlestiff
Gold Member

Post by Oldbindlestiff » 26 Feb 2015, 08:11

Well, one of those catch-22 situations.
http://www.ttb.gov/spirits/faq.shtml

Under regulations in part 29 of title 27, Code of Federal Regulations, the Federals (aka Revenoors) have the authority to demand that sellers of stills provide a listing of their customers.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 26 Feb 2015, 08:18

That's why you build your own, can't be that difficult. Probably loads of DIY vids on youtube

Oldbindlestiff
Gold Member

Post by Oldbindlestiff » 26 Feb 2015, 09:48

Well, you are correct, sir! Still illegal to use it to produce alcohol. :furious: Cider making equipment on order.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 26 Feb 2015, 10:18

Oldbindlestiff wrote:Well, you are correct, sir! Still illegal to use it to produce alcohol. :furious: Cider making equipment on order.
:laugh:
Shoot more, worry less.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 26 Feb 2015, 10:53

Rapier1772 wrote:That's why you build your own, can't be that difficult. Probably loads of DIY vids on youtube

The vid I posted was a DYI pressure cooker still.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 26 Feb 2015, 10:58

Oldbindlestiff wrote:Well, you are correct, sir! Still illegal to use it to produce alcohol. :furious: Cider making equipment on order.

Actually on the Federal level you can make your own for personal consumption. I forgot what the limit is. 4 or 5 quarts or so a year. It's how all the home brewers get past the law.

Now state laws vary and in some states you can't make it at all and home beer brewers are braking the law in those states.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Oldbindlestiff
Gold Member

Post by Oldbindlestiff » 26 Feb 2015, 12:59

Sorry, Jay! Much to my chagrin, distillation of alcohol is NOT legal at the Federal level. Beer or wine is legal to be produced for personal consumption. Even in Illinois. http://www.ncsl.org/research/financial- ... tutes.aspx

http://www.ttb.gov/spirits/home-distilling.shtml

When I moved to TN, I was informed by any number of insistent residents that it was legal to distill five gallons per year for personal use. While pricing small stills, I researched Federal and State law. It was a disappointing effort. While ignorance may be blissful, it isn't a defense in court. Sorry to be long-winded about this. I may still be p**s*d about it.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 26 Feb 2015, 13:03

Crap that is what I was told.

fckm you're just making clear wine.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Oldbindlestiff
Gold Member

Post by Oldbindlestiff » 27 Feb 2015, 04:51

:agree:

Beer and wine, mighty fine. Makin' whisky might be risky.