WTB: 5.7x28 once fired brass

Anything from firearms, ammunition, accessories, etc...
Forum rules
1. Prices MUST be listed. No "make offer" ads.

2. No links to auction sites.

3. List your location in either the title, thread content or your profile.

4. Dealers must subscribe or email me at [email protected] to discuss options.

5. You must have a minimum of 50 posts on this board to post WTS advertisements, or have a paid membership. Insignificant posts and smilies do not count.

6. Do not bump your ad unless it is no longer visible on the 1st page.

Thank you for your cooperation. If you have any questions, feel free to PM or email me.
Stevenav

WTB: 5.7x28 once fired brass

Post by Stevenav » 29 Aug 2013, 10:20

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy some 5.7x28 brass if you have it. Looking for once fired brass mind you.

I'm not rich but I am willing to pay a fair price for 5.7 brass so I can reload it

Thanks in advance

Mister Freeze
custom title: 159.6

Re: WTB: 5.7x28 once fired brass

Post by Mister Freeze » 30 Aug 2013, 04:28

What's the going rate? I have 400+ 1x ss197 brass...

fd57

Post by fd57 » 30 Aug 2013, 05:20

Going rate is really whatever someone will pay. :)

That said, been paying up to $.15 per case, averaging $.10 per case.

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 01 Sep 2013, 21:34

I have a stockpile, but frankly, I won't sell for anywhere near 15 cents per case. Sorry. I don't need to sell, so selling for what I can buy for is pretty nonsensical to me.

But if you really need some, PM me. As fd57 has said though, you shop around you should be able to find some for 15 cents a case.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

fd57

Post by fd57 » 02 Sep 2013, 04:45

If you can't find a buy price consider sourcing from your local range or scrap yard.

You might be amazed at how much brass you can acquire at your scrap yard.

bobapunk
Gold Member
custom title: EA's range buddy

Post by bobapunk » 02 Sep 2013, 06:29

I have some. I'll need to count and see how much I have.

Stevenav

Post by Stevenav » 02 Sep 2013, 11:13

Okay, considering the following.

Prices are falling all over the place as the hoarders and panic buys are running down and stock is flowing in. I go to my local gunstore and I can pretty much always find fn 5.7x28 factory boxes of 50 for 32.00 (be happy to give the place in pm if you're near redmond area in WA.) I'm gonna say that you can expect a fair price to be 5 to 8 cents per case or 5 to 8 bux per 100 brass. That's about 10% which seems fair to me.

anyone expecting $15 per 100 is frankly nuts imo. Maybe at the height of the panic you could get that.. but 5.7 is a finicky round to reload, has limited reload life compared to other rounds (two to 3 reloads before youre getting into dangerous stress levels), and has very limited powder data (confining it to less than a handful of "approved" powders.) It's an exotic round to reload and can be tough as heck to master with only a handful of guns that use it. IMO that should figure into the cost for the brass (lowering it a bit)

So for the ppl asking what's fair... that's what I think is a fair price. Limited life, difficulty, and failing ammo prices are forcing the fair price down imo. If you disagree, your opinion is just as valid and I'll not gainsay you that. I simply gave my opinion on what I think is fair. .05 to .08 a case seems neither over generous nor over stingy for this imo.

fd57

Post by fd57 » 02 Sep 2013, 16:43

Just look at GB to see how outrageous some asking prices are.

Worse, look at the completed auctions on GB and see what fools paid for their brass!

Would have had more fun buying SS197SR, shooting it, collecting the brass, and loading using their own brass! :)

bobapunk
Gold Member

Post by bobapunk » 02 Sep 2013, 16:44

Wouldn't limited life make once fired brass more valuable?

DarkWater

Post by DarkWater » 02 Sep 2013, 16:46

At the height they went for way more....there were closed auctions on gb for $800 for 2k pieces of brass ...(i know that's nuts, but I saw plenty others close to that as well around January/February)
now its quite a bit lower, but good luck trying to find it for 5c per piece, doubt that happened during the best of times...

NWmissouriman
Gold Member

Post by NWmissouriman » 02 Sep 2013, 17:14

Sorry man, I'd send some your way but I don't have any more yet. I gave some away on here a couple weeks ago :) , you're just a couple weeks too late. When I get some more rounded up I'll see if you have found any.
Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

NLVMike

Post by NLVMike » 02 Sep 2013, 18:37

I don't reload, so I sold what I have picked up from my shooting. I sold it here on this forum for $60/1,000 plus shipping of $10. The range I shoot at lets you pick through the brass for $.03/piece. You can pick up your own for free. There are not enough 5.7 shooters to make picking through the brass worthwhile, but it would make a lot of sense for other reloaders.

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 02 Sep 2013, 18:59

Stevenav wrote:Okay, considering the following.

Prices are falling all over the place as the hoarders and panic buys are running down and stock is flowing in. I go to my local gunstore and I can pretty much always find fn 5.7x28 factory boxes of 50 for 32.00 (be happy to give the place in pm if you're near redmond area in WA.) I'm gonna say that you can expect a fair price to be 5 to 8 cents per case or 5 to 8 bux per 100 brass. That's about 10% which seems fair to me.

anyone expecting $15 per 100 is frankly nuts imo. Maybe at the height of the panic you could get that.. but 5.7 is a finicky round to reload, has limited reload life compared to other rounds (two to 3 reloads before youre getting into dangerous stress levels), and has very limited powder data (confining it to less than a handful of "approved" powders.) It's an exotic round to reload and can be tough as heck to master with only a handful of guns that use it. IMO that should figure into the cost for the brass (lowering it a bit)

So for the ppl asking what's fair... that's what I think is a fair price. Limited life, difficulty, and failing ammo prices are forcing the fair price down imo. If you disagree, your opinion is just as valid and I'll not gainsay you that. I simply gave my opinion on what I think is fair. .05 to .08 a case seems neither over generous nor over stingy for this imo.

I don't know anyone asking $15 per 100. I would be a buyer at 5 cents. I am not a seller at 15 cents. And a fair price is what the seller wants being paid by the buyer. Simple.

It has to do with fact you can't really get factory new brass. So if you want to reload, which a ton of people do with this round, you have to shoot and keep brass, or buy some once shot stuff. It is worth more when you can't get virgin brass. Simple supply and demand. The rarity of the round and therefore brass actually increases its price, not decreases. Always has.

Good luck to you finding 5 cent brass though. You never know, you might find it for free at the right range.

bobapunk
Gold Member

Post by bobapunk » 03 Sep 2013, 05:30

Everything that 'Irish said, plus the fact that I can only ever find about half of the brass from my five seven seem to add to three value of once fired brass!

Stevenav

Post by Stevenav » 03 Sep 2013, 09:03

First off to the ppl that are offering some free brass or at least the possibility of it, i really appreciate it, but I prefer to repay such kindness. If not money, then if I have something I can offer I'm glad to. Good people that share and do nice things for others deserve to be repaid in kind. So as much as I'd love to accept free, in all good conscience I can't... but it is noted and

On the price of 5. brass. Actually found 2k rounds from a guy for 130 after shipping... so .05 is within the realm

As to less lifespan making it more valuable... not so much

The price for the brass is partially based on rarity so yes... but you can buy fresh factory rounds from fn for 30-33 bux for 50. If you do the simple math you get 100 brass for 60 bux AND shoot 100 rounds.

so you're paying 60 cents a round roughly... fully loaded. 15 cents is 1/4 the price of a fully loaded round. That's just insanity when you can maybe load 5.7 safely 2 to 3 times compared to something like 30-06 which you can reload multiple times safely. Never mind the dang lacquer coating flaking off big time on the 3rd reload of a 5.7 and that the neck can't be annealed to extend reasonable life due to the silly coating

Decreased lifespan in brass is a net negative because it means you get less return on your investment.

Also, while a bit hard to find someone that carries 5.7 from time to time, we're not talking gold here... scarity of 5.7 is illusiary because there is plenty of new ammo available and of shooters only a small percentage reload. Thus brass is the left overs for most people. Of reloaders only a tiny fraction of the reloading population reload 5.7 and lets be honest, it has a bad rep for being finicky and tempermental.

As to finding your brass. get a brass catcher for yoour ps-90 for heaven's sake. Don't let it go flying. can't do much for the pistol... but the ps ejects down and that' should keep the brass nice and local

bobapunk
Gold Member

Post by bobapunk » 03 Sep 2013, 10:41

I don't have a ps-90... As I said in my post, I have a five-seven, and it, even with an HD recoil spring, sends brass flying 15-20 feet or more!

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 03 Sep 2013, 13:18

Stevenav wrote:First off to the ppl that are offering some free brass or at least the possibility of it, i really appreciate it, but I prefer to repay such kindness. If not money, then if I have something I can offer I'm glad to. Good people that share and do nice things for others deserve to be repaid in kind. So as much as I'd love to accept free, in all good conscience I can't... but it is noted and

On the price of 5. brass. Actually found 2k rounds from a guy for 130 after shipping... so .05 is within the realm

As to less lifespan making it more valuable... not so much

The price for the brass is partially based on rarity so yes... but you can buy fresh factory rounds from fn for 30-33 bux for 50. If you do the simple math you get 100 brass for 60 bux AND shoot 100 rounds.

so you're paying 60 cents a round roughly... fully loaded. 15 cents is 1/4 the price of a fully loaded round. That's just insanity when you can maybe load 5.7 safely 2 to 3 times compared to something like 30-06 which you can reload multiple times safely. Never mind the dang lacquer coating flaking off big time on the 3rd reload of a 5.7 and that the neck can't be annealed to extend reasonable life due to the silly coating

Decreased lifespan in brass is a net negative because it means you get less return on your investment.

Also, while a bit hard to find someone that carries 5.7 from time to time, we're not talking gold here... scarity of 5.7 is illusiary because there is plenty of new ammo available and of shooters only a small percentage reload. Thus brass is the left overs for most people. Of reloaders only a tiny fraction of the reloading population reload 5.7 and lets be honest, it has a bad rep for being finicky and tempermental.

As to finding your brass. get a brass catcher for yoour ps-90 for heaven's sake. Don't let it go flying. can't do much for the pistol... but the ps ejects down and that' should keep the brass nice and local

SO you don't need any more brass then? Good on you. Glad you could find some.

Stevenav

Post by Stevenav » 17 Sep 2013, 10:19

@irish

Nope.

I mean I haven't gotten them yet, and as they say "there's many a slip txit cup and lip"

I sent the guy payment, but I've not seen the cases yet and till I do I don't even know if I've been sold a pig in a poke or not.

Besides, 2k rounds of brass is maybe a good start at best.

The other thing is I have a bullet maker that wants me to test run some proto type bullets (turned aluminum) for him so that'll eat up a few hundred cases for that... so I'm always looking... but as I said. I'm not looking for free brass. I'm willing to pay for what I buy... just not at crazy prices.

Last bumped by Stevenav on 17 Sep 2013, 10:19.