FNS 9mm

Discuss the FN Handgun lineup; the High Power, FNP, and FNX line.
Gramaton Cleric
Gold Member
custom title: Gun Kata

FNS 9mm

Post by Gramaton Cleric » 04 Jun 2013, 15:58

So I picked up an FNS 9mm since I am no longer an 5.7 owner, but I am a loyal FN fan. I took the FNS to the range and was disturbed at my first 10 shots, and then I adjusted my POA and lo and behold......POA=POI!!!! What I find interesting is that with the 5.7 I just pointed it and it went where I aimed, with the FNS is different........Means I need more ammo to practice with. Before I get flamed I did not search to see if anyone else has this issue of shooting low, but has anyone else exsperianced this phenomenon?
Aim small,Miss Small!
NRA LIFE Member
Prior Planning Prevents **** Poor Performance.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Re: FNS 9mm

Post by Rapier1772 » 04 Jun 2013, 16:26

That's normal with a new gun.
I know a guy who bought a FNX-45. His first time to the range, he couldn't hit squat. I tried it out & figured out where it was hitting & then I couldn't miss.
I just adjusted my point of aim a couple inches higher & that was all she wrote. Not sure if he fixed it or not yet.
My EAA 9mm was shooting well low & left when I got it (wasn't just me, I had other shooters try it & they were hitting the same). I put on adjustable sights to fix it.

You got lucky with your FsN, I had to adjust mine a lot. I've had other guns that were good out of the box but none were FNH's :laugh:
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

Gramaton Cleric
Gold Member

Post by Gramaton Cleric » 04 Jun 2013, 16:54

I just pointed and aimed with the 5.7 and just let em Rip!! I think im going to try that with these"combat" sites just put the front dot on target and let em rip :D
Aim small,Miss Small!
NRA LIFE Member

bobapunk
Gold Member
custom title: EA's range buddy

Post by bobapunk » 04 Jun 2013, 18:28

My FNX9 hits very low too. Once you figure out where to hold, is makes nice groups.

bobapunk
Gold Member

Post by bobapunk » 04 Jun 2013, 18:32

Rapier1772 wrote:That's normal with a new gun.
I know a guy who bought a FNX-45. His first time to the range, he couldn't hit squat. I tried it out & figured out where it was hitting & then I couldn't miss.
I just adjusted my point of aim a couple inches higher & that was all she wrote. Not sure if he fixed it or not yet.
My EAA 9mm was shooting well low & left when I got it (wasn't just me, I had other shooters try it & they were hitting the same). I put on adjustable sights to fix it.

You got lucky with your FsN, I had to adjust mine a lot. I've had other guns that were good out of the box but none were FNH's :laugh:
How do you "fix" that if the sights are not adjustable?

Beecher Tool

Post by Beecher Tool » 04 Jun 2013, 18:52

Buy new eyeballs....or hopefully you have adjustments for windage and elevation on your nose so your glasses can be moved. :laugh:

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 04 Jun 2013, 19:14

bobapunk wrote:How do you "fix" that if the sights are not adjustable?
The advice given to me on here (a day late but I prefer adjustable anyway) was to file the front sight down CAREFULLY & checking frequently.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

Beecher Tool

Post by Beecher Tool » 04 Jun 2013, 20:20

File a fixed sight.....IMO...at least and until I was damn sure of the issue...given the research and effort that goes into design..I would be quite reticent to file a factory fixed sight on a firearm.....

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 04 Jun 2013, 20:47

I file sights, or drift them.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Post by Cyberfly » 05 Jun 2013, 01:08

File or replace. That's really your only option.
OR, buy hotter ammo, but with the options available in these days and times, that isn't always as easy as it sounds. And getting hot 9MM isn't as simple as walking into a gun shop and plunking down your money. And, with hotter ammo comes increased risk, so,...file or replace.
A lot of people treat their handguns like they are untouchable except to point and pull the trigger, but they have no problem slapping performance enhancers on their autos. Really?
Which cost more?
Which is truly more dangerous?
Which do people become more complacent with over time?
With all of that considered, carefully filing tiny bits off the front sight seems rather minor, dontcha think?
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

bobapunk
Gold Member

Post by bobapunk » 05 Jun 2013, 04:46

I am familiar with filing down the front sight on something like a 1911 that has all black sights. I did know if it would be as effective with 3 dots since the dots will not be lining up any more.

in any case, I have a set of AmeigloGlow Night Sights that I am putting on it. Maybe that will help...?

Gramaton Cleric
Gold Member

Post by Gramaton Cleric » 06 Jun 2013, 19:03

I think I'll just practice more :D I'll figure out what point of aim is and proceed from there. 5.7 was easy.......miss that gun :( ,but I like the feel of this one more, and add the fact that I can shoot this one, well.........Sounds like range time for me! I did notice that i would 'lose' my sight picture while aiming that could be recoil related or trigger press. Perhaps I'll take a class and get my grip checked and tighten up my shoot group that way. Truthfully that seems the smart and proactive way. :thumb:
Aim small,Miss Small!
NRA LIFE Member

murphies_finest
custom title: King Thread Killer.

Post by murphies_finest » 11 Jun 2013, 10:05

Mine is still NIB I havent even fired mine yet but 9mm is dry here and do not really feel like busting into my SBR tracers or the ranger I have

bobapunk
Gold Member

Post by bobapunk » 12 Jun 2013, 04:19

I just picked up my FNS 9mm yesterday. I had not problem hitting a 9" paper plate every time. Only put about 30 rounds through it. Then I loaded about 300 more! Going to the range this weekend!

Gramaton Cleric
Gold Member

Post by Gramaton Cleric » 14 Jun 2013, 17:37

Well Im going tomorrow so I'll learn the gun or it will learn me :D Seriously though time spent.....well spent keeping proper shooting grip ext....... will go a long way.
Aim small,Miss Small!
NRA LIFE Member

Gramaton Cleric
Gold Member

Practice Time

Post by Gramaton Cleric » 15 Jun 2013, 15:50

So went to Pioneer Gun Club with my brother in law and father in law and shot steel with the FNS. Discovered that I have to aim ...not with the dot but the top of the front blade, now this vexes me for it is hard to see :wall: . Now the advice to use a file........ well....... that is valid :thumb: However More practice is needed on paper. I will figure POA/POI with the dot.
Aim small,Miss Small!
NRA LIFE Member

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Re: Practice Time

Post by blueorison » 16 Jun 2013, 08:20

Gramaton Cleric wrote:So went to Pioneer Gun Club with my brother in law and father in law and shot steel with the FNS. Discovered that I have to aim ...not with the dot but the top of the front blade, now this vexes me for it is hard to see :wall: . Now the advice to use a file........ well....... that is valid :thumb: However More practice is needed on paper. I will figure POA/POI with the dot.
This goes with all pistols I have ever known. And rifles. And shotguns. :thumb:
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.