Welp, looking for a second pistol.

Discuss the variety of handguns out there.
Drayco

Welp, looking for a second pistol.

Post by Drayco » 28 Feb 2013, 19:29

Due to unforseen circumstances, I'm starting to look for a second pistol. I'm not unhappy with my FsN, but I AM unhappy about across the board ammo shortages. (And I'm sure everyone knows about how hard it is to get 5.7x28mm ammo. Without that, I might as well buy one of those knives that attach to the front...)

So, first things first... Trying to decide on a cartridge platform and for that, I need some help due to a lack of experience in the field.

1: Cartridge is ideally for home/self defense.
2: Controllability and the ability to toss out follow-up shots is more preferred over a round with high-recoil that punches through BG and any walls behind them.
3: Ammo has to be reasonably easy to get.

I'm leaning towards a 9mm, but I'm HOPING that there's a round that's closer to the 5.7. (I'm not holding my breath, though.) I'm in Ohio, so I don't have to worry about New York's new anti-gun laws. (NOT talking about that here, just pointing it out.)
I'm also not in any rush, so I'm willing to take my time and mull things over for a month or three, or maybe even skip the handgun and go for a rifle. (Thinking about an FN FS2000, but that's going to be some time from now as they seem like they're quite rare by now.)
So, any advice that you guys and gals could offer would be appreciated.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Re: Welp, looking for a second pistol.

Post by blueorison » 28 Feb 2013, 20:32

You're looking for a round that's closer to the 5.7x28mm?

Uhh... it's basically on its own, and a niche round.

Only the 7.62x25 Tokarev, H&K 4.6x30 and Armscor TCM .22 come close. And by close, I mean, not really. They might as well be other cartridges that come "close". All of the "other ones that come close" of which are custom cartridges that you need a conversion kit in pistol form to own. The second of which has ammo availability of 0, and firearm availability of 0 to anyone not a secret squirrel.

Just get a 9mm like a CZ or a Glock. They are high value and economical and will allow you to save up for ammo and/or reloading.

:)

You can always load an 80gr JHP from your 9mm to 1500 FPS and feel special about it, because it'll be close to the 5.7x28mm....

Ok, just trying to inject positive humor.

But really, you could.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

c1demo
Platinum Member

Post by c1demo » 01 Mar 2013, 04:17

I just got a FN FS9, a little more than a Glock~ $ 560.00. It really fits my hand well. It has 3 magazines,and comes with grip inserts. 17 round magazine, perfect for home defense. I am going to get the 40 as well.

bobapunk
Gold Member
custom title: EA's range buddy

Post by bobapunk » 01 Mar 2013, 05:46

I just pickup and FNX 9. Ammo is around, not too hard to find. .40 ammo is a lot more plentiful, at least around here.

fzr confused

Post by fzr confused » 01 Mar 2013, 11:05

I can't find 9mm anywhere near me, but 40 and 45 is there (at certain stores). I really love EAA guns, very economical and they shoot amazing! I also prefer 10mm, which is similar to the 5.7 in a strange way lol.

Mister Freeze
custom title: 159.6

Post by Mister Freeze » 01 Mar 2013, 11:47

blueorison wrote:You're looking for a round that's closer to the 5.7x28mm?

Uhh... it's basically on its own, and a niche round.

Only the 7.62x25 Tokarev, H&K 4.6x30 and Armscor TCM .22 come close. And by close, I mean, not really. They might as well be other cartridges that come "close". All of the "other ones that come close" of which are custom cartridges that you need a conversion kit in pistol form to own. The second of which has ammo availability of 0, and firearm availability of 0 to anyone not a secret squirrel.

Just get a 9mm like a CZ or a Glock. They are high value and economical and will allow you to save up for ammo and/or reloading.

:)

You can always load an 80gr JHP from your 9mm to 1500 FPS and feel special about it, because it'll be close to the 5.7x28mm....

Ok, just trying to inject positive humor.

But really, you could.

.22MAG. Duh.
:p

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 01 Mar 2013, 14:16

HAHAHA

Gold Star, Freeze!
Shoot more, worry less.

smpsmp

Post by smpsmp » 03 Mar 2013, 22:19

As said before, go with 9mm. That will be the most economical.

Next closest thing will be an oddball round. Although no one mentioned 9x25 dillion. You can push an 80 grain bullet well over 2000fps out of them. Just through a comp on the end, and you should be good to go (except your ears of course).

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 04 Mar 2013, 07:40

Im not sure how anyone would classify 9x25 ammo as easy to get.

Hebs

Post by Hebs » 04 Mar 2013, 22:55

Got a price range? Specific needs? (size, weight, capacity, safety features, ease of use?)

9mm or .40 cal would probably be your best option, price wise for ammo...

I'm currently using my Sprinfield Armory XD40 V10 for my Home Defense pistol. It's very accurate and the ported barrel helps with the muzzle flip. It shoots like a 9mm. They make a ported 9mm version as well.

I'd use my FN 45 tactical, but it's just too costly of a gun to leave in my night stand and in the random chance that someone robs my house when I'm gone, I'd rather they take the XD over the FN.

NLVMike

Post by NLVMike » 05 Mar 2013, 00:14

Drayco, I've been watching this thread for a while, trying to figure out what it is you need and what advice might help. I am by no means an expert, but not a novice either. I don't know how to phrase this without sounding bad, but I have a LOT of handguns to choose from around here. OK, all that aside, what would I want as gun #2? Personally, I am so infatuated with it, that I have a Fiveseven as a backup to my Fiveseven. :). Also, I LOVE shooting 1911's. I have a few of those, and only the Colt Commander would make the list of possibles.

I've given it a lot of thought, and I think if the need is the gun I want in my hand to defend my house and family, it is a Ruger 22/45 Lite. I can list all the reasons, but I will stop with the top few. I can practice a lot with cheap ammo, even at today's price. It is very dependable and easy to shoot. I can stay on target. If you go to the trouble of reading the FBI white paper, the end result of lots of study is that CALIBER REALLY DOESN'T MATTER. The best gun in the world is the one you have in your hand when you need it.

Drayco

Post by Drayco » 11 Mar 2013, 19:22

Oy... Leave a topic alone for a week or so...

Yeah, should've been specific about another thing, namely ambidextrous controls. I use my left hand to shoot, so a lefty-friendly pistol would be preferred. (One of the reasons I was drawn to the FSN in the first place.) Not really concerned about CC, but an internal hammer would be preferred, along with centerfire ammo. Single-action is also preferred, as longer trigger pulls tend to throw off my aim.
Overall, I prefer being able to make multiple quick shots over one big boom that requires a lot of time to re-acquire the target.

So, making a list that I need to research...
Glock 34 (Leaning towards this one, especially since 4th gen. Glocks have reversible mag releases.)
FN FNS 9 (Internal hammer, but double action. Does this re-cock after being fired?)
FN FNX 9 (DA/SA, external ring hammer. I'd prefer this over the FNS. Any differences with an external hammer vs. an internal one?)
Springfield Armory XD40 V10 (Indeed has a ported version, and the porting is along the sides. How badly does this mess up vision after firing?)

Sorry NLVMike, but another FSN would give me the same problems as my current FSN, no ammo to be found. And if I don't have ammo, I can't practice. No practice, and I might as well have a precision engineered paperweight. (Yes, I know every gun is going to be different, but the basic skills should be about the same.) And I'd go with a .45, but I like having a high amount of capacity in those mags, and low recoil. (FSN has spoiled me on that.)

Hebs

Post by Hebs » 11 Mar 2013, 22:16

I can only speak for the XD40 V10. Outside of being sexy as hell... it fits all of your requirements. I've shot it in most light conditions. (to include pitch black just to see the flames) :) I have not had any issues with it affecting my vision in normal light conditions. You will see muzzle flash from any weapon when firing it in the dark. (if you happen to catch it and not blink and miss it.) Just make sure you don't have anything you don't want "heat treated" near the ports when you fire it is all I can add... ;)

Here's a neat lil review I found on it. (minus the ported version)

http://www.ballistics101.com/springfiel ... review.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also share the reviewer's feelings on the grip... It feels damn good in my hand. That was definitely one of the first things I noticed about it. How good it feels in your hand. It's not for everyone, but of all the pistols that put in my friends' hands, they like the grip on the XD the most. I just wish mine had tritium sights.

Good luck on your quest.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 12 Mar 2013, 00:47

CZ SP01 Shadow.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 12 Mar 2013, 06:48

panzermk2 wrote:CZ SP01 Shadow.
:(
Shoot more, worry less.

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 12 Mar 2013, 06:52

There is one in a local shop right now. It has those fugly gold grips and hammer though.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

Drayco

Post by Drayco » 13 Mar 2013, 20:44

blueorison wrote:
Okay, I'll bite. Why the sad face?

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 13 Mar 2013, 20:52

My guess is because he wants one but doesn't have one.
Kind of like if I see a pic of a DSR-1 :cry:
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 13 Mar 2013, 21:28

Drayco wrote:
blueorison wrote:
You're new, but if you go back in the threads, I started a CZ thread. After that, coincidentally, 7 or more people got CZ or CZ clones in the same month. Considerably more members own CZs, now. Most of them have realized truths, and have bought more than 2. I'm not claiming credit for that; it's not like I get points I can put on a card and turn in for a pistol.

5 of them I was in contact with; one bought a CZ as his first platform on my recommendation, after speaking with him for hours and answering his questions. Then he went out and bought multiple Shadows and Customs.

The pistol that I've always wanted, before I knew about the FsN and got it as my first handgun, he bought. On my recommendation.

That's like your neighbor never having pets, and you wanting that German short haired pointer for your entire life.

Then you have a conversation with him about it, and he goes and gets one the next day.

Yeap.
Shoot more, worry less.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 13 Mar 2013, 22:07

blueorison wrote:
Drayco wrote:
blueorison wrote:
You're new, but if you go back in the threads, I started a CZ thread. After that, coincidentally, 7 or more people got CZ or CZ clones in the same month. Considerably more members own CZs, now. Most of them have realized truths, and have bought more than 2. I'm not claiming credit for that; it's not like I get points I can put on a card and turn in for a pistol.

5 of them I was in contact with; one bought a CZ as his first platform on my recommendation, after speaking with him for hours and answering his questions. Then he went out and bought multiple Shadows and Customs.

The pistol that I've always wanted, before I knew about the FsN and got it as my first handgun, he bought. On my recommendation.

That's like your neighbor never having pets, and you wanting that German short haired pointer for your entire life.

Then you have a conversation with him about it, and he goes and gets one the next day.

Yeap.

Yeah but I was on the CZ band wagon when you were still squirting carrots out looking the same as the went in. :p
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 13 Mar 2013, 22:10

Time to get a German shorthaired pointer. And teach it to shoot pistols. Then give it CZs.

Drayco

Post by Drayco » 16 Mar 2013, 20:48

:topic:

*Reads thread... Refreshes page... Rereads...*

Huh... Topic derailed and not by me... I... I don't know what to do, here... This is a new feeling for me...

Going to gun show tomorrow, will be seeing what's there, possibly shopping around, depends on how much is left. (Third day of a show, they might all be cleaned out already.)

Hebs

Post by Hebs » 17 Mar 2013, 06:42

Suuuuurvey says?

joe_r95

Post by joe_r95 » 18 Mar 2013, 09:07

I'll throw my 2 cents in because your also a lefty. If I had to choose only 1 gun it would be a glock. The 34 is huge though, and it probably wouldnt be that one. Mine are gen 3 I put an extended mag release in them and actuate it with the third pad on my index finger. I also use my index finger(while its extended) on the slide release and give it a swift pop when I do mag changes rather then sling shotting, or reaching for it. The only reason is I run handgun courses and its the fastest way. You can toss an extended slide release on to help, but make sure it doesnt move it backwards. Mine usually just get a little tweak outwards. Its not needed, but it helps. If you dont like glocks go to a gun shop, find the caliber section your looking for, find the ones that fit your hand, and start manipulating the controls to see what works best for you. Then ask questions about reliability there and research it on the internet before you buy one. 90% of shooting well is knowing your weapon. So when you do buy one practice manipulating the controls, and drawing as much as possible for the first few weeks to build muscle memory. I'm not saying that to belittle you or your abilities in any way, but its especially important for left handed shooters manipulating right hand controls.

I've been a glock owner for about 15 years, currently own 3 all in .40, and have always been happy with their product.

Drayco

Post by Drayco » 18 Mar 2013, 09:31

Nothing there that I was looking for, most of the showings were older firearms. Saw some neat stuff (Like a Japanese camera used for targeting practice.) but nothing I was really looking for. (Picked up some accessories, so it wasn't a wasted trip.)

Went to a somewhat close but decently stocked gun store. NO 9mm handguns, but they had the .45 variants of the ones I'm eyeing. (Most of them, anyway.) Leaning more towards the Glock 34 as the rep said they're also ported. (Might also have to double as a CCW, once I can get rid of these horse thighs or get some looser pants... FSN just does not fit in there.)

Also looked at some H&K pistols, and I swear these guys took notes from Nerf as they have some VERY nice grips. Contoured and with ridges between the fingers. (Nerf actually did have some very good handles on their toys. Hell, some of the new ones still do. It's a little bit harder for gun makers to do the same as the handle also holds the mag though.)

Will have to compare the FNs to the Glock 34 and see which one I like handling more, but I don't know who would order a piece just to see how it feels.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 18 Mar 2013, 09:59

Blue's #1 while in Gun store not run by intelligent human beings: try to limit/avoid talking to anyone working there, as there is a high risk that they do not know what they are talking about and spread lies and misinformation, commonly. This isn't hateful, it is in my experience; factual. Whether they do it on purpose or not, I cannot speak to that.

The G34 is NOT ported. The slide has a lightening cut to match the specs of the cycling and spring return closer to that of the other 9mm models. In other words, it's so that the slide will cycle more effectively with ammunition that isn't spec'd for the oversprung-for-US factory plinking/target ammunition factory setup.

The new HKs aren't the size of double decker buses, anymore. I like the P30/30L, HK45. They are very fun to shoot, with the standard good HK triggers that are smooth and light. They are still $1000 for not much of a reason, than a claim.

Go call your friends and ask to try their 34s and FNS's. The FNS is more of an all-around-use gun vs the 34, which has a much longer slide and oblong shape and can lead to a more difficult draw from IWB, depending on the holster location. The 34 is slightly slimmer in feel when carrying vs the FNS. It is also less blocky (the irony) and is more contoured than the FNS, slightly. I would not carry the 34; if you want a Glock 9mm to carry, try the smaller versions that do not have the lightening cut. The lightening cut may allow debris and objects to enter the slide and cause jamming, when carrying.

The Gen 3 vs Gen 4 34s are different in feel.

I hope that helps :thumb:
Shoot more, worry less.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 18 Mar 2013, 11:51

Doesn't glock designate their ported guns with a 'C' - as in G34C?
Notice the slots in the barrel.
Regular G34 - not barrel slots.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

joe_r95

Post by joe_r95 » 18 Mar 2013, 13:00

Yep C is the designation for ported. Poor choice for home defense. You get a bright flash out of the top of the gun in the dark. Its pretty blinding depending on the ammo. Also the cut in the slide allows dirt/debris to fall right in. If your wanting a full size 9mm check out the glock 17. Its a hair shorter without cuts in the slide. If your going to carry it try out a glock 19. Theres bound to be a place that rents them somewhere close.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 18 Mar 2013, 18:44

I have never heard of a G34C.

Pretty sure it doesn't exist, from factory.
Shoot more, worry less.

joe_r95

Post by joe_r95 » 18 Mar 2013, 20:31

blueorison wrote:I have never heard of a G34C.

I'm pretty sure they were around at one point in time. Holster companies list them. I've personally shot a g35c on multiple occasions. Looks like the pic rap posted

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 18 Mar 2013, 21:48

joe_r95 wrote:

I'm pretty sure they were around at one point in time. Holster companies list them. I've personally shot a g35c on multiple occasions. Looks like the pic rap posted
No kidding.... that's somethin I didn't know.

Well.. if they sell them, then let me know. Till then, I still think they aren't selling the ported model.
Shoot more, worry less.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 18 Mar 2013, 22:14

blueorison wrote:
joe_r95 wrote:

No kidding.... that's somethin I didn't know.

Well.. if they sell them, then let me know. Till then, I still think they aren't selling the ported model.
They have on the past and a ported G20 was the only time I was ever really tempted to buy a block.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Drayco

Post by Drayco » 23 Mar 2013, 13:09

Well, went shopping today and settled on an FNS-9. I liked the feel of it and the trigger pull was pretty smooth, smoother than the FSN. (And short, too.) Feels about as heavy as the FSN, even though it's smaller, but I can live with that.

Probably would've gone with a Glock, but at THREE different stores, Glock has been on severe back-order. (We have a Gun World Gander Mtn. an hour or so away, and even their selection was highly limited.) So, if anybody's thinking about getting a Glock, better snap one up soon, or be prepared to wait for quite a while. Plus, I think people are really starting to get panicked about the new/potential gun control laws, making the problem worse.

Probably could've gone with something cheaper than $700, but HK were more expensive and all three stores were drawing a decent crowd. (Might be a bad idea to go gun shopping on a weekend.) Also, one of the stores were only selling ammo with firearm purchases, and the rest had a purchase limit per customer.

I'd be paranoid that the gov. is keeping control of firearms by buying up all the ammo they can get their hands on, but that sounds WAY too smart for them.

Anyway, going to let this topic die as it's a moot point now and read through the posts in the FN Handguns section on the FNS-9 before I start asking a parade of questions.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 24 Mar 2013, 08:40

PIc or it didn't happen.......... :ponder: ............just sayin........................ :p
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Drayco

Post by Drayco » 25 Mar 2013, 18:51

panzermk2 wrote:PIc or it didn't happen.......... :ponder: ............just sayin........................ :p
About what, specifically? For the Glocks, it's just what I was told by Gun World and two smaller, local-only stores. (As Blue has said, it might be bad info, but the fact that three different places had the same story is rather unusual.)
As for the ammo, even Gander Mtn. hasn't really been able to keep up with demand and their ammo shelves are a lot more bare than they were a few months ago. In fact, my parents have been showing up at out local Gander Mtn.'s doors on Friday to be some of the first people in line to pick up ammo as it comes in. (And the ones camping out before they open usually get as much as they can.)

I don't know if this is national, or just a problem in Ohio.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 25 Mar 2013, 19:29

Glock is currently over 1 mil backordered.

They ARE filling orders, as we speak.

The info is from a source within Glock.

I don't listen to gun counter staff. They are on the interwebs, too much.
Shoot more, worry less.

darklcdfeller

Post by darklcdfeller » 04 Apr 2013, 18:31

I just recently bought a FSN. I carry a fns40 all day everyday when Im not in ACU's. I love the FNS40, the only downside is finding a holster for it. I had one custom made by my local gun shop for $75 but the FNS40 out shot my glocks and my xdm40. Picked it up for 550 out the door. Very Happy with both my FNH pistols. Just my $.02

Thanks,
Ac

Cwc

Post by Cwc » 04 Apr 2013, 22:01

I like the FNS 40 and 9mm. Shoot well and fit a medium sized hand. Comfortable to shoot.