HK MR556 Upper

Talk about your favorite longguns here.
Vortec MAX
Gold Member

HK MR556 Upper

Post by Vortec MAX » 23 Jan 2013, 13:23

Anyone seen these?

http://www.botachtactical.com/hkmruprekit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A friend had me order one for him using my credit card (he paid me). When it came to the house, I liked it so much, I ordered one for myself. Then, my brother saw it and had me order one for him too.

It does fit on a Colt LE6920 or LE6940 lower. It does not fit on a pre-ban "Sporter" because they have a sear block.

I can't wait to try it out.

Mike

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Re: HK MR556 Upper

Post by Vortec MAX » 25 Jan 2013, 12:22

I just watched one of these uppers sell for $3,375.00 on GunBroker. Apparently the bidders are not aware that they can get them for $1,895 from the link above. I am tempted to buy an extra just to sell on GB. People are acting very irrationally these days.

Mike

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 25 Jan 2013, 12:56

Vortec MAX wrote:I just watched one of these uppers sell for $3,375.00 on GunBroker. Apparently the bidders are not aware that they can get them for $1,895 from the link above. I am tempted to buy an extra just to sell on GB. People are acting very irrationally these days.

Mike
You should do it! I wouldn't even raise an eyebrow about you selling one to HK fanboys. Not that what I think matters, it's your money! Personally, I wouldn't do it, but I'm not applying my values to you, and I think you should :lmao:

If it were a CZ, then I'd feel bad.

HK?

Nope.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 26 Jan 2013, 13:16

you mean BOTACH actually shipped something without a 6 week backorder?

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 26 Jan 2013, 13:22

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think he got it yet. His friend did though.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 26 Jan 2013, 14:19

flyingirish04 wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think he got it yet. His friend did though.
So far I have ordered five and received three. They have been doing alright with these. Don't get me started on my past experiences with these bozos however. They have the worst customer service on the planet! You can e-mail all day and never ever get a response. If you use online "chat" or call, they will just say "e-mail (insert bozo name here)." Then said bozo will ignore you forever.

Mike

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 26 Jan 2013, 16:57

Ive had more problems with palmetto state armory than I have woth botach. And ive bought way more from botach.

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 28 Jan 2013, 19:02

I discovered a potentially expensive issue with these uppers today. My Geiselle Hi-Speed DMR trigger is not compatible with this upper. I have to purchase a HK MR556 specific Geiselle trigger that costs 465.00 or go back to the factory Colt trigger parts. The stock trigger pull on my rifle was not what I would call desirable, thus the change out to a Geiselle. Looks like this project is going to cost me more $$$.

Mike

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 29 Jan 2013, 09:06

Not sure why the hype about the H&K upper.. Think I would stay with my Colt for $1900.00 (Just my opinion)
$1800.00 would buy a complete weapon in most configurations.

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 29 Jan 2013, 12:17

Don't have a ton of experience with the MRs, but their mil relatives far outshine anything colt has ever made in terms of reliability, durability and accuracy. I loathed our Colt M4s. Loved our HK416s. My .02.

As far as for civilian use, my main problem with colt was their politics up until they started losing mil/leo contracts. They used to be blatantly anti-civilian firearm ownership.

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 29 Jan 2013, 12:51

flyingirish04 wrote:
As far as for civilian use, my main problem with colt was their politics up until they started losing mil/leo contracts. They used to be blatantly anti-civilian firearm ownership.
Lol, and HK isn't?

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 18 Feb 2013, 08:43

Actually went to range to test fire upper. Clicks all day, booms it does not.

A little research reveals that it is the shape of hammer that is causing it not to fire. The late model Colt lowers we are using have a "notch" cut into the upper portion of the striking face of the hammer. The shape (with the notch) won't disengage the firing pin safety on the HK. We are having the change out the hammer to a "mil-spec" hammer that looks like a full-auto hammer with the sear hook milled off.

A picture is worth a thousand words, so here's to saving a thousand words:

Mike
Last edited by Vortec MAX on 18 Feb 2013, 09:09, edited 1 time in total.

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 18 Feb 2013, 09:04

srt-4_jon wrote:
flyingirish04 wrote:
Lol, and HK isn't?
No they aren't. In fact HK has been at forefront fighting gun legislation, even though they have military contracts.

HK has long been a supporter of civilian ownership. Even in the EU.

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 18 Feb 2013, 11:12

HK-USA has previously researched introducing similar commercial products, chambered in 4.6 mm, but it was determined that the final product would not have enough appeal or be legally feasible.

— Heckler & Koch USA
H&K chooses not to make the 4.6 round and its primary weapons system the MP-7 available to civilians. That and the fact that the 556A1 was orginally supposed to be a proprietory system that would not be interchangable with current "mil-spec" components.

Their politics are NO different than any other manufactuers just not a published or harped on.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009 ... se-shortly" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No different than Colt suing over the M4 designation

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 24 Feb 2013, 19:36

We have conquered the "won't fire" issue. The "mil-spec" hammer is about an 1/8" taller than the standard notched face hammer that Colt and others are using. This extra height is needed to contact the firing pin disconnect system on the HK uppers. I don't think the "notch" on the hammers that do not work is really the culprit, it is the height. We found a hammer that works perfectly.

NIB-x Coated Mil Spec Hammer at Brownell's

It says it is for a .308 AR, but they are universal. I installed one and it works perfectly. Solid, reliable primer strikes.

Mike

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 08 Mar 2013, 15:05

Just bought me a cheap scope for my HK AR project. I just bought these:

http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tact ... -qd-lt-104" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.opticsplanet.com/nikon-3-12x ... -8489.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The dang mount was half as much as the scope. I wanted a quick release because I also bought a Troy Industries Tritium sight set for. If scope breaks (it is cheap), I want to be able to get to the iron sights quickly.

I also bought the Geiselle HK trigger for it, it is much better than stock.

It's shaping up nicely.

Mike

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 09 Mar 2013, 00:26

That Nikon isn't cheap. It's Monarch Glass, and frankly for an frankenstein AR you are wasting your money buying anything more expensive. That is unless you expect to be in battle anytime soon with that setup.

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 09 Mar 2013, 10:32

flyingirish04 wrote:That Nikon isn't cheap. It's Monarch Glass...
Well I guess it isn't "cheap," but I typically spend as much as I do on the rifle for a scope. I have an Illuminated Leupold Mark 4 3-10 x 40 LR on my Remmy 700. That is still a midrange scope compared to a Nightforce or Schmidt & Bender or even the higher end Leupolds. You can spend a helluva lotta money on glass.

flyingirish04 wrote:...frankly for an frankenstein AR you are wasting your money buying anything more expensive.
The HK upper is supposed to be pretty accurate. I don't yet know how accurate. I thought a mid-range scope was probably suitable. All my other ARs (which are Colts) shoot around 2 MOA. Not that great.

flyingirish04 wrote:That is unless you expect to be in battle anytime soon with that setup.
I don't expect to have to ever engage in a battle. This country is almost a liberal utopia. The transformation is almost complete. It will soon be sunshine, lollipops, and rainbows for everyone. There won't be any crime, and thus no need for anyone to own a gun. I'm not sure why I even need an AR-15. I mean who needs 10 bullets to kill a deer? Once the transformation is complete, I will just hand it in for scrap and buy a unicorn. :D

Mike

jgreenberg01
Platinum Member
custom title: FNP-45 Cylon

Post by jgreenberg01 » 09 Mar 2013, 12:04

Vortec MAX wrote:I don't expect to have to ever engage in a battle. This country is almost a liberal utopia. The transformation is almost complete. It will soon be sunshine, lollipops, and rainbows for everyone. There won't be any crime, and thus no need for anyone to own a gun. I'm not sure why I even need an AR-15. I mean who needs 10 bullets to kill a deer? Once the transformation is complete, I will just hand it in for scrap and buy a unicorn. :D

Mike
I don't really care if you have a lollipop, but there are some girls who seem to look much better, um... "utilizing" one.

Just sayin'...

EDIT: Back on topic, I also tend to go high-end with the glass, but I have a Nikon on my 10/22 and it definitely gets the job done.
0100001101101111011011010110010100100000011000010110111001100100001000000111010001100001011010110110010100100000011010010111010000101110

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 09 Mar 2013, 14:35

jgreenberg01 wrote:I also tend to go high-end with the glass, but I have a Nikon on my 10/22 and it definitely gets the job done.
I bought Nikon P-22s for both of my kids to put on their 10/22 Takedowns. They are actually pretty good scopes. That is what made me look at the M-223 series for this AR build. The M-series is still made in the Philippines however. I would prefer USA, Japan, or Germany.

I think you have to go waaaay up the Nikon line to get something made in Japan. I have a Nikon fieldscope (spotting scope) made in Japan, but it was in excess of a thousand bucks.

Are the Monarch scopes made in the Philippines?

Mike

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 09 Mar 2013, 15:52

Vortec MAX wrote:
flyingirish04 wrote:That Nikon isn't cheap. It's Monarch Glass...
Well I guess it isn't "cheap," but I typically spend as much as I do on the rifle for a scope. I have an Illuminated Leupold Mark 4 3-10 x 40 LR on my Remmy 700. That is still a midrange scope compared to a Nightforce or Schmidt & Bender or even the higher end Leupolds. You can spend a helluva lotta money on glass.

flyingirish04 wrote:...frankly for an frankenstein AR you are wasting your money buying anything more expensive.
The HK upper is supposed to be pretty accurate. I don't yet know how accurate. I thought a mid-range scope was probably suitable. All my other ARs (which are Colts) shoot around 2 MOA. Not that great.

flyingirish04 wrote:That is unless you expect to be in battle anytime soon with that setup.
I don't expect to have to ever engage in a battle. This country is almost a liberal utopia. The transformation is almost complete. It will soon be sunshine, lollipops, and rainbows for everyone. There won't be any crime, and thus no need for anyone to own a gun. I'm not sure why I even need an AR-15. I mean who needs 10 bullets to kill a deer? Once the transformation is complete, I will just hand it in for scrap and buy a unicorn. :D

Mike

Yes I know. I own NF and custom Leupolds, and even a S&B. I know what quality glass is. And frankly, the Nikon M series are more value than the price tag.

Several scopes, like Swaros, are expensive but entirely lacking compared to others. Even the Conquest series of Zeiss are crap compared to the new VX-3s or Vortex's Viper and Razor line right now.

As far as your upper, it will have some effect on accuracy, but so will its overall fit with the lower you are using. There is a reason why Larue likes to build whole guns and not frankenstein versions. With autoloaders, it is imperative for true precision.

I gave shot the HK uppers and you will group under 1 MOA out to 200 on a normal lower. On a matched and trued billet lower you will shoot much much better. It's an improvement though to the have the upper. For sure.

If I were to go back, I would probably never buy a S&B. NF does everything under the sun necessary for far far less. That was my point with your AR and M-223. It reallly will do everything that rifle is capable of doing.

Clearly I'm not opposed to overkill. I mean I shoot several wildcats, one being a 338 Lapua Mag Imp 40º. Will it do more than a standard Lapua round to justify its extra expense? Probably not.

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 09 Mar 2013, 15:59

Vortec MAX wrote:
jgreenberg01 wrote:I also tend to go high-end with the glass, but I have a Nikon on my 10/22 and it definitely gets the job done.
I bought Nikon P-22s for both of my kids to put on their 10/22 Takedowns. They are actually pretty good scopes. That is what made me look at the M-223 series for this AR build. The M-series is still made in the Philippines however. I would prefer USA, Japan, or Germany.

I think you have to go waaaay up the Nikon line to get something made in Japan. I have a Nikon fieldscope (spotting scope) made in Japan, but it was in excess of a thousand bucks.

Are the Monarch scopes made in the Philippines?

Mike

Concerning yourself where a scope is made is like picking someone to marry based solely on who their parents are.

There is value in understanding it, but it is no guarantee of performance.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 10 Mar 2013, 19:01

M,

I deny you that unicorn.

I had already called dibs.

Regards,

J.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 10 Mar 2013, 21:28

Darn tootin.