NEWB: New to the gun scene. New to the gun lingo.

Discuss the variety of handguns out there.
KWAviper

NEWB: New to the gun scene. New to the gun lingo.

Post by KWAviper » 14 Nov 2012, 00:27

Please define:

SD/HD
FMJ

I chose the five-seven considering it's rarity and home defense. I can't say I regret the move for a first fire-arm but the only flaw like most would say is the availability of ammunition.

Also

How many rounds ti'll I've officially broken the gun in and magazines in, on my five-seven?

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Re: NEWB: New to the gun scene. New to the gun lingo.

Post by Cyberfly » 14 Nov 2012, 06:04

Welcome to the forum KWAviper.
As for the definitions, I need coffee this early in the morning. I can tell you that FMJ is full metal jacket.
The SD/HD...? The only thing popping into my mind without the aid of caffeine is Standard Definition/High Definition, but since we aren't talking telivisions or other audio-visual devices, I doubt seriously that is what you are looking for.
The problem with finding ammunition has been an ongoing struggle for many. With BamBam's reelection it only got worse. Seems like feast or famine, mostly famine.

Man...that SD/HD thing has me...can you give me an example how it was used?
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

Esteves
Wiki Moderator
custom title: Shhh!

Post by Esteves » 14 Nov 2012, 06:09

Could be: self defense/home defense
FMJ: Full Metal Jacket
--
S
© 2004-2019 Esteves

Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative,
and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want
people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 14 Nov 2012, 09:16

This might help you KWA: Acronyms and Abbreviations Cheat Sheet Guide
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10044" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Esteves was right about the SD/HD.

One more thing, since you're new to gun lingo & I know you haven't made the mistake yet but I feel that I should forewarn you about "clips" vs mags. Thanks to hollywood & news media, a lot of people use the terms interchangeably but that is wrong. There is a difference & we will point it out :laugh:

Also, if you want some tips on running a search or posting pics/vids, there are links in my sig line. Any questions, feel free to ask - we may not always have an answer but we'll do what we can.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

Oldbindlestiff
Gold Member

Post by Oldbindlestiff » 14 Nov 2012, 09:58

KWAviper wrote:Please define:

SD/HD
FMJ

I chose the five-seven considering it's rarity and home defense. I can't say I regret the move for a first fire-arm but the only flaw like most would say is the availability of ammunition.

Also

How many rounds ti'll I've officially broken the gun in and magazines in, on my five-seven?
Typically I do not consider a pistol "broken-in" until I have put at least 300 or more rounds through it. Usually, I try to vary the types of projectiles and velocity to which they are loaded. This also helps to select a type/brand that shoots and functions well in that pistol. Use different magazines as well to isolate any feeding problems. The 5.7 doesn't have many choices in ammunition, but, you should include EA's hotter loads after feeding it FN fodder for about 200-300 rounds. Clean it well after every outing. Your pistol will love you for it.

Enjoy!
Karma. Serving up justice one a**hole at a time.

panzermk2wife
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2wife » 14 Nov 2012, 10:23

Welcome

HD= Home Defense
SD=Self Defense
Visit Us on FaceBook
https://www.facebook.com/EliteAmmunition5.7x28mm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Leave Us Feedback on the Forum
http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=8630" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 14 Nov 2012, 11:39

Oh right, break in... Sorry, forgot about that part. Most people who actually believe in break-in periods (some don't) & gunsmiths recommend 300-500 rounds.

KWAviper

Post by KWAviper » 14 Nov 2012, 12:43

Thank you guys for the help.
I've put in about 150 rounds of the ss195s, my ss197s just came in. I've been reading up on which certain rounds to use for SD/HD which people recommended EA's S4ms. But the issue is availability. I' leaning to getting the Protectors 40grain Hornandy V maxs, but I too live in California.. another downside to owning the five-seven. Are the ss197s that bad for SD/HD? I know it's all about shot placement.. then again it isn't a JHP.

Thanks for the magazine and clip comparison. I honestly did not know what a clip was but I personally never have made the mistake of calling magazine a clip. lol

If I were to get a primary pistol to put my five seven aside which do you guys prefer in reliability, availability of ammunition, and cleaning between these:
Springfield XD-45s, XD-9
Beretta 92FS

I've shot these before and I had fun with the XD's. Not sure of reliability and cleaning though.
Any recommendations to similar firearms good for SD/HD?
I know any gun can be this but .. I want a assuring round to out the bad guy down.
I'm looking because even practice "plinking" rounds are pricey for the fiveseven.
I want to make my fiveseven my primary once I have a decent amount of ammunition.

So far so good in this forum. Everyone seems eager to help! I know I have plenty to learn, I appreciate all the help I can get.
Thanks guys!

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 14 Nov 2012, 16:03

Personally, I do not think the 197's are a bad round, just that they could be better. I have used 197's for carry ammo & I would do it again if I didn't have something better suited.

The 197 is a kind of hollowpoint. That blue tip is basically just a polymer plug. Upon impact the plug is shoved into the bullet & it forces expansion. It is supposed to be a varmint round which does not over penetrate so as to protect the hide of critter. Little hole in, no hole out - in theory.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Post by Cyberfly » 15 Nov 2012, 07:23

Of the two other platforms you mentioned, the 92 and the XD/XDM series, both are excellent.
It will really come down to personal preference. You will find people here on this forum that will love or hate either but both have proven themselves.
If I were to choose...well, I'm a Ruger guy myself and anybody who has been on these forums long enough knows that. So I fall back on what I said before. Check them both out. Find a place that will allow you to either rent both weapons, stick with the 9MM on the XD series since ammunition will be cheaper and will give you an apple to apple comparison with the 92 and shoot them side by side and just see which feels right in your hand. You'll know when you're done and you'll be better suited to decide which weapon should go home with you.
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

KWAviper

Post by KWAviper » 16 Nov 2012, 02:35

I appreciate the advice Cyberfly.

Thank you