FNAR pads

Discuss the FN lineup of tactical rifles; the FS2000, SCAR, and the venerable FAL.
bpdenverco

FNAR pads

Post by bpdenverco » 17 Sep 2012, 19:32

anybody have the thick pads for their fnar, that they want to sell, I saw a post above, about mag issues, any input on that post.

fooschnickens
custom title: ~( ̄∇ ̄~) (~ ̄∇ ̄)~

Re: FNAR pads

Post by fooschnickens » 18 Sep 2012, 06:21

I think I may have the thick pads from my old FNAR. I forgot to include them when I reverted it back to stock and sold it years ago.

I'll have to dig around a bit, they're probably in a box somewhere...

As far as mag issues, are you talking about availability? The mags are pretty much always readily available, just very expensive. Be prepared to spend $60 or more for a single mag. Unless you're using it for multi-gun style matches, I don't much see why you'd need more than one mag, though.
http://www.f00tography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Corporation: n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.
-Ambrose Bierce

bpdenverco

Post by bpdenverco » 18 Sep 2012, 11:58

Thanks, well I just got a used fnar, and I think the mag is bad, I kinda have push up on it,
The 20 round mag is kinda hard to sight in on a rest, so will get 10 round mag. In addition to see if that corrects my mag feed issue, I will get another 20.

fooschnickens

Post by fooschnickens » 18 Sep 2012, 12:32

Push up as in when inserting the fresh mag into the receiver? I've noticed that the mags sometimes won't seat right with the bolt forward. Try locking it back and see if that helps. I don't recall if the mags are user serviceable, I'll take a look when I get home. If they are, check inside for dirt or other debris that might be making the follower or spring bind up.

If all you're going to be doing is bench-style shooting I wouldn't bother with the 20s. They're a PITA swap out on a rest and just generally get in the way of everything else while shooting.

I have two 10 round mags right now and I only ever use one of them at any given time. There was only one time where I wished I had them both and that was when I was teaching a friend some of the broader points of precision shooting (as I'm still getting the finer points myself :laugh: ) and were going through rounds a bit faster tan usual since we had the whole range to ourselves.
Corporation: n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.
-Ambrose Bierce

bpdenverco

Post by bpdenverco » 18 Sep 2012, 14:40

Correct, was doing bench work, and it does get in the way, i took the fnar for the first shoot, but when I got home, I did a full break down, even took out the bolt. The mag is clean andi it still had the same issue with the mag. The mag just needs that little extra push, then it will be ok until empty
And I did try with the bolt back.

Ok you got me going, so the mag has some front to rear movement , if I push the lower part of the mag, it will pivot upwards, then we are good. So maybe the mag receiver is worn. Will try to get a picture on
you will see that scrape on the left
http://www.flickr.com/photos/87357536@N05/8001365575/

fooschnickens

Post by fooschnickens » 18 Sep 2012, 15:52

Hmm, perhaps one of the feed lips on the mag is slightly bent?

Are there similar contact marks on the magazine?
-Ambrose Bierce

bpdenverco

Post by bpdenverco » 18 Sep 2012, 16:08

Not really, the owner history is weak, the previous owner said it had low rounds, No Way, and it was used in WW1, so forget about any history. No scrapes on the mag...

fooschnickens

Post by fooschnickens » 18 Sep 2012, 16:31

Sounds to me like you oughta be talking to the Smithsonian instead :laugh:
-Ambrose Bierce

bpdenverco

Post by bpdenverco » 20 Sep 2012, 18:34

Well,got the 10 round mag today and seems to feed fine. Will take to the range for the real test...