Wal-Mart Ammo Sale

Forum for discussing factory & reloading non-5.7x28mm ammunition.
ShockedNKansas
custom title: G0 SH0X

Wal-Mart Ammo Sale

Post by ShockedNKansas » 15 Sep 2012, 18:29

I was at Cabela's today shopping for stuff and when I was in the ammo section, I was notified by a fellow consumer that Wal-Mart had Federal 9mm for 20.00 per box of 100. I promptly went and bought two boxes. They also have Federal .45ACP for 30.00 per 100. I bought a box of that as well.

Those are some solid prices for range ammo this close to the election!

Buffman
Silver Member

Re: Wal-Mart Ammo Sale

Post by Buffman » 15 Sep 2012, 19:39

It's not a sale :) Normal Price :0

ShockedNKansas

Post by ShockedNKansas » 15 Sep 2012, 19:44

Buffman wrote:It's not a sale :) Normal Price :0
Wow!

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 15 Sep 2012, 19:54

I'd rather pay more then shop at Wal-Mart.

fd57

Post by fd57 » 15 Sep 2012, 20:06

srt-4_jon wrote:I'd rather pay more then shop at Wal-Mart.
Love it. Great response (even better action).

WISCOPROUD
custom title: New Hobby

Post by WISCOPROUD » 15 Sep 2012, 20:18

x2

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 15 Sep 2012, 20:22

I'd rather reload than shop at Walmart :laugh:

Although I do admit, I go there on rare occasions. Usually sometime between midnight & 3AM is a decent window.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

jgreenberg01
Platinum Member
custom title: FNP-45 Cylon

Post by jgreenberg01 » 16 Sep 2012, 04:18

C'mon, there is a certain... entertainment value associated with going to Wally-World:

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/photos/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
0100001101101111011011010110010100100000011000010110111001100100001000000111010001100001011010110110010100100000011010010111010000101110

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 16 Sep 2012, 07:29

Sorry to hear. More ammo for me :)

ShockedNKansas

Post by ShockedNKansas » 16 Sep 2012, 07:32

I did some checking and it appears it is a special price -- at least in some areas. This is the official Wal-Mart ammo thread on the web. http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/ammo-can/1 ... e-285.html

Another thing, ammo stock is very inconsistent around the U.S. If you have 100 round boxes available to you at the sale price, you seem to be lucky. I might go pick up some more today if there is any left. I think in Kansas the sale price is rarer because there are plenty of people here buying ammo regardless of price.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 16 Sep 2012, 08:22

Now there's a phrase I never thought I would see, "official Wal-Mart ammo thread."
Maybe its just me but that sounds so "blue light special" :D
Oh it's an XD forum, that explains it :p :laugh:

Checked the link - holy crap! 285 pages of walmart yap? :suicide:
Thank you for linking to the most recent so that we didn't have to sift through that.

MrSlippyFist
Global Moderator
custom title: Sweeper

Post by MrSlippyFist » 16 Sep 2012, 08:49

BOOM. Also, you left one store to save a few pennies at another? Reminds me of people who drive out of their way to wait in line to save 3 more cents per gallon on gas. Wow, your prius holds 9 gallons. You wasted 15 miles and another half hour of your life to save 27 cents. Kudos.
Embrace the Suck

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 16 Sep 2012, 09:13

MrSlippyFist wrote:You wasted 15 miles and another half hour of your life to save 27 cents. Kudos.
Hey now. That 27 cents adds up when up multiply it by fueling 14 times a year.
You just saved enough to buy another gallon of gas - provided you don't live in PRK.

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 16 Sep 2012, 10:28

A few pennies? You can't touch 10.00$/box for new 9mm anywhere. Even bulk online orders. The only local options I have are gander mountain. $25/50 for .45 ACP sorry I'll support Walmart :). That's about all I buy there besides brake cleaner and other random stuff

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 16 Sep 2012, 11:18

Buffman wrote:A few pennies? You can't touch 10.00$/box for new 9mm anywhere. Even bulk online orders. The only local options I have are gander mountain. $25/50 for .45 ACP sorry I'll support Walmart :). That's about all I buy there besides brake cleaner and other random stuff
Every purchase of 9mm has been under for under $10 a box, brass or steel-cased.

Even as I type this, these sales exist.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 16 Sep 2012, 11:51

Buffman wrote:A few pennies? You can't touch 10.00$/box for new 9mm anywhere. Even bulk online orders. The only local options I have are gander mountain. $25/50 for .45 ACP sorry I'll support Walmart :). That's about all I buy there besides brake cleaner and other random stuff
You need to up your google-foo

http://gun-deals.com/ammo.php?caliber=9mm+Luger" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 16 Sep 2012, 13:11

srt-4_jon wrote:
You need to up your google-foo

http://gun-deals.com/ammo.php?caliber=9mm+Luger" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All of that sub $10 is all steel cased. Again for brass cased, reliable NEW ammo you can't get it pretty much cheaper than Federal Champion from WM :) Don't forget to count in shipping as well.

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 16 Sep 2012, 15:32

I didn't see brass as a qualifier in your original post. also, freedom munitions and aim surplus offer new 9mm ammo under $10 per box and aim surplus even does free shipping quite frequently. plus for the $10 box at Wal-Mart, don't forget gas and tax.

again, I'd rather pay more to not shop there. it's been quite a few years Wal-Mart got any of my money.

ShockedNKansas

Post by ShockedNKansas » 16 Sep 2012, 16:33

What the hell? I start a thread about a great price I found on ammo and I'm rewarded by a member inferring that I am the kind of ignorant that would drive miles to save a few pennies? Sweet bunch! :skep:

And for the record, if anybody read my thread in the gun forum they would know that I had just bought a new 9mm pistol at Cabela's and needed some ammo right away. The best price Cabela's had on 9mm was 15 per 50, and in .45ACP, 25 per 50. Wal-Mart's price was 20 per 100 and 30 per 100 in 9mm and .45ACP respectively.

At Wal-Mart I paid 70.00 total for 200 rounds of 9mm and 100 rounds of .45ACP. At Cabela's I would have paid 110.00 so yeah, I think the price of a full tank of gas is worth driving a couple miles. And FYI, my car gets 40-45mpg's in city driving. :)

Cwc

Post by Cwc » 16 Sep 2012, 17:41

So much for trying to help someone out. My local Wal Mart usually has great prices, they just stay sold out. Ill pick up a 100 at a great price any day to send down range. Extra bonus I can re load the brass.

fd57

Post by fd57 » 16 Sep 2012, 17:55

Speculating that some folks aren't keen on ChinaMart and that they'd rather support other sources with perhaps better business objectives (environment, employee benefits, etc.). That's why the "anti-Walmart" posts perhaps. They'd rather spend a little more to give an American health benefits, or support a locally owned business, etc. Because at the end of the day if it's solely about the dollar, well then every sector will go the way of Wall Street a few years back.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 16 Sep 2012, 18:58

fd57 wrote:Speculating that some folks aren't keen on ChinaMart and that they'd rather support other sources with perhaps better business objectives (environment, employee benefits, etc.). That's why the "anti-Walmart" posts perhaps. They'd rather spend a little more to give an American health benefits, or support a locally owned business, etc. Because at the end of the day if it's solely about the dollar, well then every sector will go the way of Wall Street a few years back.
Selfish vs Selfless.

Great post, FD57. That's all I have to comment.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 16 Sep 2012, 19:21

I guess I'm sorry that I'm a person who seeks out the best deal when possible. I'm sorry my local stores gouge the geebus out of everyone for ammo, and the only local store worth a damn is 45 minutes away..

99% of my shopping goes elsewhere to places like Meijer, Hardings, D&W, etc.

MrSlippyFist
Global Moderator
custom title: Sweeper

Post by MrSlippyFist » 16 Sep 2012, 20:50

fd57 wrote:Speculating that some folks aren't keen on ChinaMart and that they'd rather support other sources with perhaps better business objectives (environment, employee benefits, etc.). That's why the "anti-Walmart" posts perhaps. They'd rather spend a little more to give an American health benefits, or support a locally owned business, etc. Because at the end of the day if it's solely about the dollar, well then every sector will go the way of Wall Street a few years back.

Bingo. Been to far too many towns where the quality of life has been lessened so that everyone could 'save money'. There is always a cost. Ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
Embrace the Suck

fd57

Post by fd57 » 16 Sep 2012, 21:15

Buffman wrote:I guess I'm sorry that I'm a person who seeks out the best deal when possible. I'm sorry my local stores gouge the geebus out of everyone for ammo, and the only local store worth a damn is 45 minutes away..

99% of my shopping goes elsewhere to places like Meijer, Hardings, D&W, etc.
No need to apologize. Still (kinda) land of the free here in the US so you can (kinda) make your choices. No one appears to be speculating on goodness or intent, and if you're seeking the best deal from a direct price point then maybe Walmart is your answer.

We also enjoy finding the best deal, but for us our definition is not always lowest direct price. That's all.

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 16 Sep 2012, 21:37

You probably didn't know this, but Walmart actually treats their employees quite fairly, as they've player the lawsuit games with people... employees have mandatory paid breaks and a 1 hour lunch. If you clock in before your time is up you can get in trouble.
Every employee after 1 year of employment is eligible for health benefits. Doesn't matter if it someone who works 2 hours/week or is salaried. They even have different tiers you can purchase. Not only that, employees get a discount card that is good for 10% off anything but groceries.
If you work your butt off and do a good job you can move up the promotion ladder very quickly. I know a guy (married w/2 kids) who was having trouble finding a job when the economy took a dive. It was the only work he could find, so he went and unloaded trucks during the night shift. In about 2 years he moved up to and is now assistant manager of a store making great money.

Don't get me wrong, there have been problems in the past and will be in the future, just like any company... but they're actually a pretty decent employer.

I've bought plenty of ammo there, back in 2006/7 it was $14.97/50 for .45ACP, I don't think I've ever seen it cheaper since then (locally).

ShockedNKansas

Post by ShockedNKansas » 16 Sep 2012, 21:44

Let me preface by saying that I have more formal education in economics than 98% of the policy makers in Washington. Let me finish by saying that there is nothing wrong with the expanded productivity created by a company as lean and efficient as Wal-Mart. We live in a global economy and thus have to adjust our perspective globally. There is much more I could say, but I presume furthering this discussion would cause a lot more problems than any "snake thread" could ever hope to.

P.S.

In before: "But what about the small businesses that closed in our town?" "But what about all the products from China?" "But what about the poor workers without insurance?"

The laws of economics and free markets is your friend.. even if they don't always seem friendly. I won't be answering any questions on the subject.

Good Night! :)

fzr confused

Post by fzr confused » 17 Sep 2012, 08:51

I buy most of my handgun ammo from Walmart. Carol (the sporting goods manager) calls me whenever they get .45acp or 9mm in stock. She always puts whatever I want aside. She is the ONLY helpful person I have ever met that was a Walmart employee....and no, I do not know her outside I Walmart. She was behind the counter 1 day when I was looking for ammo, she asked if she could put me on a list, and I said sure. I saw her list only had a few poeple on it, but when I got my first call I was very surprised!

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 17 Sep 2012, 09:21

f3rr37 wrote:
You probably didn't know this, but Walmart actually treats their employees quite fairly, as they've player the lawsuit games with people... employees have mandatory paid breaks and a 1 hour lunch. If you clock in before your time is up you can get in trouble.
Every employee after 1 year of employment is eligible for health benefits. Doesn't matter if it someone who works 2 hours/week or is salaried. They even have different tiers you can purchase. Not only that, employees get a discount card that is good for 10% off anything but groceries.
If you work your butt off and do a good job you can move up the promotion ladder very quickly. I know a guy (married w/2 kids) who was having trouble finding a job when the economy took a dive. It was the only work he could find, so he went and unloaded trucks during the night shift. In about 2 years he moved up to and is now assistant manager of a store making great money.

Don't get me wrong, there have been problems in the past and will be in the future, just like any company... but they're actually a pretty decent employer.

I've bought plenty of ammo there, back in 2006/7 it was $14.97/50 for .45ACP, I don't think I've ever seen it cheaper since then (locally).
:agree:
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

Grantness

Post by Grantness » 17 Sep 2012, 09:22

ShockedNKansas wrote:Let me preface by saying that I have more formal education in economics than 98% of the policy makers in Washington. Let me finish by saying that there is nothing wrong with the expanded productivity created by a company as lean and efficient as Wal-Mart. We live in a global economy and thus have to adjust our perspective globally. There is much more I could say, but I presume furthering this discussion would cause a lot more problems than any "snake thread" could ever hope to.

P.S.

In before: "But what about the small businesses that closed in our town?" "But what about all the products from China?" "But what about the poor workers without insurance?"

The laws of economics and free markets is your friend.. even if they don't always seem friendly. I won't be answering any questions on the subject.

Good Night! :)
We're always looking for guest lecturers here at business school. Perhaps we could set something up on skype?

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Post by Cyberfly » 17 Sep 2012, 09:27

ShockedNKansas wrote:Let me preface by saying that I have more formal education in economics than 98% of the policy makers in Washington.
Well, judging by the policy makers in D.C., that could be limited to half a semester of high school economics, but, I'm not judging you... :D

While I may use WalMart for bulk ammo on things like shotgun shells for our July 4th skeet shoots or for practice ammo, I don't use them for carry ammo. I've not found a WalMart yet that carried match grade or Corbon or...plinking stuff? Sure. Better stuff? Nope. I'll hit the hunting supply or the police supply houses for that.
Groceries, blue jeans or DVD's? If I'm there, why not? But I try to avoid WalMart like the plague.
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 17 Sep 2012, 11:52

Yeah I buy my carry ammo from ATG, Wideners, etc. I only buy 50 rd boxes of carry ammo

fzr confused

Post by fzr confused » 17 Sep 2012, 12:24

I agree, I only buy plinking ammo there as well. Strangely enough all my carry ammo (5.7, .45, 10mm) is all from EA :)

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 17 Sep 2012, 12:40

Cyberfly wrote:
ShockedNKansas wrote:Let me preface by saying that I have more formal education in economics than 98% of the policy makers in Washington.
Well, judging by the policy makers in D.C., that could be limited to half a semester of high school economics, but, I'm not judging you... :D

While I may use WalMart for bulk ammo on things like shotgun shells for our July 4th skeet shoots or for practice ammo, I don't use them for carry ammo. I've not found a WalMart yet that carried match grade or Corbon or...plinking stuff? Sure. Better stuff? Nope. I'll hit the hunting supply or the police supply houses for that.
Groceries, blue jeans or DVD's? If I'm there, why not? But I try to avoid WalMart like the plague.

I agree. If you want quality, you don't shop Wally World. If you want bulk, or just a functional item with no frills, go there. For many communities without luxuries like Costco, Wal-mart is the only choice.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 17 Sep 2012, 13:56

There are some things are WM that are very good quality. But are more along the lines of hardware then consumer electronics. Their brake cleaner is good, along with their SuperTech motor oil and filters..

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 19 Sep 2012, 12:22

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 19 Sep 2012, 14:51

Bought some 9mm yesterday, not on sale... for $23.97/100.