Looking for a great deal on a reflex-type sight for AR-15

Talk about your favorite longguns here.
ShockedNKansas
custom title: G0 SH0X

Looking for a great deal on a reflex-type sight for AR-15

Post by ShockedNKansas » 12 Aug 2012, 14:17

http://www.classicfirearms.com/accessor ... ctro-sight

I'm looking for an inexpensive holographic type sight for an AR. This one has mixed reviews. Any opinions?

**EDIT** I changed the thread title to something more descriptive.
Last edited by ShockedNKansas on 13 Aug 2012, 14:17, edited 1 time in total.

ShockedNKansas

Re: Barska Multi Rectical Electro Sight

Post by ShockedNKansas » 12 Aug 2012, 14:31

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/SCP-270

Wow, this one might be even better. And only 40 bucks?

Esteves
Wiki Moderator
custom title: Shhh!

Post by Esteves » 12 Aug 2012, 14:44

How about one of these? Only $16.99
http://www.crosman.com/optics/sights/0290RD" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have one on a 2240 and don't see why it wouldn't work fine on an AR.

Opinions? Save your money and buy something else with fewer negative reviews from a manufacturer with a solid reputation.

Do the math on a screwed up optic - how much money do you save when you can't hit the target?

More opinions: Do you have the basics down, can you shoot well with irons? If not, screw the optic and buy more ammo for practicing your basic marksmanship.
--
S
© 2004-2019 Esteves

Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative,
and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want
people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

ShockedNKansas

Post by ShockedNKansas » 12 Aug 2012, 16:06

Here's a guy demonstrating the red dot from 100yds. He seems to like it. I'll probably shoot the AR a couple times a year. Isn't this good enough? I'm not going to Irag. :)

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 12 Aug 2012, 16:53

Quality doesn't come cheap and cheap is rarely quality. Save the money from the optic to buy a decent rifle, learn the weapon, and move on from there. Otherwise one day you'll want a new rifle and new optics and everything else was a waste. Remember, more often than not, the shooter makes the gear, the gear doesn't make the shooter.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 12 Aug 2012, 16:56

ShockedNKansas wrote:
Here's a guy demonstrating the red dot from 100yds. He seems to like it. I'll probably shoot the AR a couple times a year. Isn't this good enough? I'm not going to Irag. :)
Where is "Irag"?

Why not just sell everything and buy .22 platforms in order for the cheap sights to work and not break with real recoil?
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

ShockedNKansas

Post by ShockedNKansas » 12 Aug 2012, 17:26

blueorison wrote:
ShockedNKansas wrote:
Where is "Irag"?
Hmmmm... good question.
blueorison wrote:
ShockedNKansas wrote:
Why not just sell everything and buy .22 platforms in order for the cheap sights to work and not break with real recoil?

At 1/10th the price of an EO Tech, you would think it has to be a piece of #### right? From some of the latest reviews I've read, it keeps its zero on shotguns shooting 3in mag shells, AK's, and of course AR's. I'm thinking it will work fine for my gun, which will spend the majority of its life sitting in a case, as long as I don't get a lemon. It's advertised as shock proof and water proof... The gun comes "optic ready" so I don't even think it has iron sights. I just want something that I can aim with that will hold a zero. I expect that if I drop the rifle on the sight it will break, I'm okay with that.

I can get the rifle for 699 + 15 shipping + 25 FFL fee + 40 for the optic. That might be a lot of fun for 780.00! And understand, this is my first AR. I just want to get my feet wet.

ShockedNKansas

Post by ShockedNKansas » 12 Aug 2012, 17:30

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Post by Cyberfly » 13 Aug 2012, 06:33

You could get a Bushnell for just a little more.
More rugged, will hold zero and is made for heavier caliber rifles.
Heck, they even make one that looks similar to an ACOG.

I'm just saying..
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

fzr confused

Post by fzr confused » 13 Aug 2012, 07:36

I agree with the above. Those will not work long and you will end up tossing them. I've used similar ones and anything bigger than my 10/22 they s*ck.

I have the bushnell one that resembles the acog and I love it. Bought it from Charles.

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 13 Aug 2012, 07:42

You get what your pay for both in weapons and optics. Saving up to buy an optic that you may use for 10-15 years makes more sense than paying $40.00
for something you will need to replace in 3 months. I've had an original aimpoint m2 and a eotech 512 for almost 10-12 years and have been mounted on many
different platforms. Even though they mainly shoot paper or steel, I know that if it ever comes down to SHTF they'll work

ShockedNKansas

Post by ShockedNKansas » 13 Aug 2012, 08:39

Cyberfly wrote:You could get a Bushnell for just a little more.
More rugged, will hold zero and is made for heavier caliber rifles.
Heck, they even make one that looks similar to an ACOG.

I'm just saying..
I'll check into it..

I'm hearing great things about Primary Arms Micro Dot's for around 80 bucks. Apparently they are Aimpoint clones and function well beyond their price point. But their website is always "sold out" as their reputation precedes them.

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 13 Aug 2012, 10:38

toyslr wrote:You get what your pay for both in weapons and optics. Saving up to buy an optic that you may use for 10-15 years makes more sense than paying $40.00
for something you will need to replace in 3 months. I've had an original aimpoint m2 and a eotech 512 for almost 10-12 years and have been mounted on many
different platforms. Even though they mainly shoot paper or steel, I know that if it ever comes down to SHTF they'll work

Optics, yes. Weapons, not always.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 13 Aug 2012, 12:57

Its not even worth the effort to have this discussion since you know it all.....

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 13 Aug 2012, 13:12

Now...he's trying to ask advice and defend his desires at the same time.
At least he's willing to research some of the lower priced options we are suggesting.
I wanted an ACOG forever. Never could afford one. My kids 'thought' they bought me name brand scope at a gun show and it turned out to be a very well made knock off. They paid a lot for it, but it was still a clone. We were all sick about it.
It works well on my Ruger SR22 though, so...not all was lost.
I did eventually pick up a used EOTech and was quite happy with it. It was a very much like new, barely used unit and I got it very cheap.
However, there are cheaper units out there that will fit your needs, and thats why I pointed you towards the Bushnell. Yes, it will cost you a bit more than the el-cheapo you are looking at, but at least it will last longer.
They used to make a red dot very much like the one you are looking at, and sometimes you can find old stock at places like Academy, but good luck with their mounting hardware...ask me how I know.
Would I trust it to stand up to the rigors of an AR? Probably not. But their heavier scopes will, and that's why I pointed you in that direction.
True...a wee bit more money, but worth it for the lack of frustration you'll go through later.

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 13 Aug 2012, 13:59

That wasn't directed at the OP or his questions! Sorry for the confusion

ShockedNKansas

Post by ShockedNKansas » 13 Aug 2012, 14:01

http://www.opticsplanet.com/bushnell-fi ... sight.html

I looked at this one and I am intrigued, but at its price, it is getting dangerously close to a Burris which can be obtained at around 200.00 bucks. Just to clarify, the Bushnell I have linked above is called a "reflex sight" correct? I definitely want a sight like that versus the traditional "scope" tube design. Reflex sights are easier to acquire targets than regular scopes right? I'm trying to run a crash course in sight education while finding a bargain.

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 13 Aug 2012, 14:05

Heard good things about these

http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/red_dots" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ShockedNKansas

Post by ShockedNKansas » 13 Aug 2012, 14:09

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDeta ... ku=ARR-119

I like the handle because it makes the AR look like the old school M16. The handle is actually an iron sight as well right? My AR is a flat top so without the handle or something like a Magpul MBUS, I only have a front post correct? If I have the handle attached, can I still put a reflex sight on it? It doesn't seem like there would be any room.

After much research and the opinions of those in this thread, it appears like there really aren't very many reliable bargains in optics under 100.00. These guys are the closest to a perfect "cheap optic" there is it seems, but they never have anything in stock.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Red_Dot_Sig ... _s/903.htm

People actually wait months in line to pick up one of their little "gems". Apparently they work closely with the manufacturers to make the sights as good as they can be for the money. And their customer service is excellent.

ShockedNKansas

Post by ShockedNKansas » 13 Aug 2012, 14:14

toyslr wrote:Heard good things about these

http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/red_dots" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes! I have too. But the one everybody raves about for around 150.00 is a normal "tube" scope. Forgive my description because I barely know what I'm talking about. If you notice, their reflex sight is 599.00... :(

People in the optics game are really out of their mind. I was looking at Trijicons for 1,200.00.. I mean, wtf man??!! Does it fire laser-guided bullets for you like the kind Greenberg carries? It's just a friggin' piece of glass with a light. Perhaps if it had a HD video camera included..

ShockedNKansas

Post by ShockedNKansas » 13 Aug 2012, 14:25

toyslr wrote:Heard good things about these

http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-riflescope-sfrd.html

I think this is the one everybody raves about. It just seems to me that traditional scopes are slower to acquire targets with. I envision having to cramp up really close in to the lens and focus. I shot an AR with a reflex-type sight at the range and putting the red dot on the target was super quick and a breeze.

Listen to the reviews on this scope though, pretty compelling:
For the price you really can't beat this optic. It offers everything that those $500.00 optics offer and you can afford to spend the cash saved on ammo!!!
Stop looking!!Buy One or two!! I picked up the red dot and the red/green dot both fine optics stilled zeroed after 100 rounds of 5.56
Mounted this scope on my flat top AR. Shot low out of the box,after about about 3 adjustments I was shooting a 2" group at 75 yards. Super sweet relief with or with out magnifier..(included in box 2X )I own a aimpoint Comp 2 also. This scope is as good for the money. 169.95 plus shipping. Great middle of the road scope.
Very impressed with the quality of this site given its price. Everything is o ring sealed. The mount is nice and solid. The sight comes with a 2x magnifier. The housing is all aluminum except for the control housing which is plastic. I put this on a vector ak and it sighted in fast. It seems to hold its position pretty darn well.
I can't say how just damned suprised I am at the quality of the optic at the price it goes for. I really don't see the need for aimpoint at 5x the cost. Now, I haven't beat the crap out of this thing yet, but it looks to be built solid, and Vortex stands behind their kit. What more can you ask for. The 2 x magnifier does shrink the FOV but it does work, and the fact that Vortex just throws it in with the optic...my hats off to you. Hope they don't stop providing well built affordable equipment. opened my eyes, thats for sure. Have always run EOTechs since 2004 in Iraq. Never cared for ACOG's unless in a DRM position on the team, and wasn't a huge fan of Aimpoints, but thought I'd give this a try. This sight is mounted on a DRM/ Sniper .308 AR platform for a move to position optic, then swaped with glass. So far, once zero'd, has held true. ring it comes with is very robust with 6 hex head screws.

romer522

Re: Looking for a great deal on a reflex-type sight for AR-1

Post by romer522 » 13 Aug 2012, 14:52

Cheapest red dots I would put on an AR..

https://www.primaryarms.com/Red_Dot_Sig ... _s/903.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ShockedNKansas

Post by ShockedNKansas » 13 Aug 2012, 14:58

romer522 wrote:Cheapest red dots I would put on an AR..

https://www.primaryarms.com/Red_Dot_Sig ... _s/903.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yep, I just mentioned them as most likely the unequivocal market leader in quality "cheap" red dots. But they are as rare as hen's teeth because people literally camp out for them.

Esteves
Wiki Moderator
custom title: Shhh!

Post by Esteves » 13 Aug 2012, 16:02

Maybe this thread needs a poll...
--
S
© 2004-2019 Esteves

Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative,
and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want
people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Piston Driven
custom title: Exultant Ruler

Post by Piston Driven » 13 Aug 2012, 16:44

:ponder: What about Trijicon????? About $400 last for 10 years up ????

ShockedNKansas

Post by ShockedNKansas » 14 Aug 2012, 12:49

Well my journey has come to an end. I have purchased optics for my AR. What does everybody think I went with?

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 14 Aug 2012, 13:21

Hopefully something better than $49.95 quality!

jgreenberg01
Platinum Member
custom title: FNP-45 Cylon

Post by jgreenberg01 » 14 Aug 2012, 13:22

ShockedNKansas wrote:Well my journey has come to an end. I have purchased optics for my AR. What does everybody think I went with?

A sssnake ssscope???

0100001101101111011011010110010100100000011000010110111001100100001000000111010001100001011010110110010100100000011010010111010000101110

Piston Driven

Post by Piston Driven » 14 Aug 2012, 14:21

jgreenberg01 wrote:
ShockedNKansas wrote:Well my journey has come to an end. I have purchased optics for my AR. What does everybody think I went with?

A sssnake ssscope???

Erin Andres isnt laughing! Uhhh a telescope???

ShockedNKansas

Post by ShockedNKansas » 14 Aug 2012, 23:33

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... ckage.html

I got a Vortex StrikeFire AND a Black Rear Magpul MBUS Gen2 for 179.99.

What do ya think? I'm happy.

ShockedNKansas

Post by ShockedNKansas » 14 Aug 2012, 23:53

On another note...

Palmetto State Armory is the ****

I bought this deal, plus 5 mags (great mags), and 400 rounds of ammo and shipping was only 12 bucks for everything??!! :clap:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... m-mag.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... tegory/53/

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... -20rd.html

Cyberfly
Global Moderator

Post by Cyberfly » 15 Aug 2012, 05:49

Not familiar with the Vortex.
But good luck with it. Test it out and let us know how it works.

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 15 Aug 2012, 08:01

I've heard good things! Never used them myself but hope it works out for you. Keep us posted on how it goes

fzr confused

Post by fzr confused » 15 Aug 2012, 11:09

Hmmm, that does look interesting. Please let us know how it works out!

ShockedNKansas

Post by ShockedNKansas » 15 Aug 2012, 12:44

I will test it out for sure. It usually lists for around 170.00 but PSA was tossing in a free Magpul MBUS (valued at 40-50.00) for the same price. It was a great deal. Since I read that a fool carries optics only with no backup irons, I knew I needed the Magpul MBUS.

Here are some reviews on the scope. They are pretty stellar.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews/rev ... -sfrd.html

Piston Driven

Post by Piston Driven » 15 Aug 2012, 17:12

Sounds good but I just order a Burris 5x prism, looks sooooo gooodddd :drool:

ShockedNKansas

Post by ShockedNKansas » 30 Aug 2012, 12:00

Well, I have been shooting and testing my new red dot and it seems great. I haven't gotten to "sight it in" beyond about 20 yards. It has a 4 moa dot so I don't know what that's going to be like at 100 yards. Perhaps too big?

I was wondering, for those of you that use red dots, is the dot always perfectly crisp and perfectly formed? It seems like when I blink my eyes the red dot changes shape a bit. I wear contacts and they can dry out a bit outdoors, that can obviously affect clarity and blur. But I was wondering if any of you ever notice your red dot being a little less than sharp depending on your eye angle, dust, heat, dryness, and the other multitude of factors. Do 500.00 scopes always have a perfectly formed red dot?

By the way, I just found one of the most informative reviews on my scope available on the web. The review is made by our dear friend Nutnfancy. He sounds like a tool, but he does a great job on the review.

Enjoy:

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 30 Aug 2012, 12:29

Vortex is a great economical choice. It isn't made to the quality of an EOTech or Aimpoint, but it is a red dot scope, so the drop off from one tier to the next isn't as drastic as with scopes (Of which Vortex Viper line is pretty decent. Stay away from their crossfire or diamondback lines).

I would buy one if I had a black rifle laying around without an optic on it for sure.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

ShockedNKansas

Post by ShockedNKansas » 02 Sep 2012, 20:45

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... n-dot.html

Ummm... Palmetto State Armory has my scope on sale for 119.99 using coupon code "STRIKE". That is pretty much an unbelievable price. What's the deal with these guys? Some of their sales are unbelievable.