Reloading Dies for 5.7

General reloading

Moderator: Grantness

hosborn

Reloading Dies for 5.7

Post by hosborn » 19 Dec 2011, 17:44

What type of dies are everyone using to reload 5.7? RCBS? Hornady? Lee?

Also, what type of power are you using True Blue?
I can't seem to find True Blue locally so what else have people used?

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Re: Reloading Dies for 5.7

Post by Rapier1772 » 19 Dec 2011, 18:36

There is a lot of information on reloading, too much to list really. Dies, powder, presses, everything you need is listed on the forum.

I know its cliche but please give the search function a try.
And this thread: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=120" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

Fotis

Post by Fotis » 06 Jan 2012, 16:26

Lee. So far so good!

Rodentman

Post by Rodentman » 11 Mar 2012, 17:46

I use like Hornady the best. They have served me well for thousands of rounds. Ue rilfle primers too. True blue is good.

Kilibreaux

Post by Kilibreaux » 20 Jul 2012, 00:02

I just got a set of Lee dies and they work great.

The shell holder is a #15 which is listed for the .25ACP but works just fine with one tiny problem....it lacks the usual slot down the center which is a problem when trying to insert a fired case with a portion of the primer protruding. This can cause a few problems getting cases into the shell holder, but once in and the primer punched out they work fine. The shell holder is a tight fit which as I understand it, is desired in this cartridge.

For me the Lee dies have worked 100% in pushing out primers, reforming dented necks and pushing the shoulders back. Micrometer comparison between a factory unfired case and resized show the die squeezes the case back to factory spec. The exception is in the shoulder region...the NECK gets pushed back so the angle between it and shoulder is at the same location as an unfired case. The shoulder ends up more "rounded" than a factory case. I don't yet have a 5.7 chamber to test these in but I'm confident they'll chamber. I use Lee Case Lube...the stuff you apply with your fingers and it works fabulously...the cases slide right in with little resistance. and come out looking brand new. The lacquer coating is completely intact. I like the Lee lube because it dries and does not contaminate powder. Once might conceivably leave it on the cases to aid function.

The sizing die does not create any nicks, or scrapes on the cases.

I also use the Lee trimmer because I like the "standardized" approach. The trimmer cuts to 1.139" which works for me.

I bought the Lee dies from FS Reloading for $25.98 which I consider to be a steal.

Grantness

Post by Grantness » 20 Jul 2012, 00:21

Check out the wiki for all the 5.7 reloading basics.

...that being said: A lot of people including myself like the Lee dies. Hornady's are nice and you can't go wrong with Redding either. I don't care for the Lee shellholders. I generally use a RCBS #45 or the Hornady one (I forget the #). The RCBS trimpro with EA trimpro plate is a great setup. You can get a pilot that trims/chamfers/and deburs in one step.

If you are looking for other powders besides True Blue I would recommend Blue Dot, VVN105, Longshot, Acc#7, or HS7(discontinued) to name a few.