DPMS .308

Talk about your favorite longguns here.
NLVMike

DPMS .308

Post by NLVMike » 16 Apr 2012, 20:03

I bit off a pretty good chunk of .308 today, but I'm pretty sure I can chew it.

Image Image

I've been reading the threads about optics for it. I'm kind of leaning toward the Nikon M-308 with the BDC reticle. Every year the Antelope stand out there very comfortable at about 450-500 yards, knowing that I am just not confidant with my deer rifle at that range. I'm thinking with a lot of practice, I can reach them with this. This may sound strange, but the darn gun is MUCH bigger and heavier than I expected. I bought it online, and it may look like an AR, but the bolt alone weighs a couple of pounds. It is a beast, but I am pretty stoked.

CenCalSplicer

Re: DPMS .308

Post by CenCalSplicer » 16 Apr 2012, 20:12

I have that exact same gun. I put a Geiselle trigger on it, hydraulic buffer, muzzle break and Harris bipod. Since I couldn't afford NF or USO I decided to go with the Vortex Viper PST 4-16X50 mil/mil SFP. I am shooting a 175 SMK using Varget powder and am very pleased with the results I get. I would feel completely comfortable shooting an antelope out 500yds all day long.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 16 Apr 2012, 20:29

Very cool.

I had a chance to test out the Vortex scopes a couple days ago at the LaRue RO shoot. Compared the Viper line against the Razer line.

You're right about the .308's. I've used the Remy and the DPMS and they are both very hefty. The Remy was slightly lighter, with a fluted bbl. Definitely range guns, or hunting guns most would only carry a few hundred yards.

Still have yet to test a SCAR 17 against them. FAL's seem more balanced, but more cumbersome, against the Remy and DPMS .308 ARs.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 17 Apr 2012, 06:27

NLVMike wrote:I bit off a pretty good chunk of .308 today, but I'm pretty sure I can chew it.

Image Image

I've been reading the threads about optics for it. I'm kind of leaning toward the Nikon M-308 with the BDC reticle. Every year the Antelope stand out there very comfortable at about 450-500 yards, knowing that I am just not confidant with my deer rifle at that range. I'm thinking with a lot of practice, I can reach them with this. This may sound strange, but the darn gun is MUCH bigger and heavier than I expected. I bought it online, and it may look like an AR, but the bolt alone weighs a couple of pounds. It is a beast, but I am pretty stoked.

I like the M-223 and M-308 lines. I don't like the BDC reticle though, especially with the drop turret. I just got the nikoplex reticle with my M-223. Great Monarch grade glass though with them. I think they are a better value then the VX-2 quality Mark ARs from Leupold, and I am a Leupold fanatic. With practice, there is no reason why that can't be a 500 yard gun for hunting. Should be able to group that within 8 inches at that range, easy. The AR10 bolts are a lot beefier than the AR-15, for sure. ARs in general aren't light, at all. But they are FUN! Congrats.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

NLVMike

Post by NLVMike » 23 May 2012, 21:18

I haven't even fired it yet, and it is eating money. I got a Monarch 4 x 20/50mm scope for it. Still sitting in the box on the bedroom floor. I took the barrel off and gave it to a local gunsmith to have it threaded. I ordered a PWS FSC30 compensator. I would really like a can for it, but I don't have the patience. Then I saw the palm grip and Magpul stock, so I had to order those too. I still haven't got a scope mount yet. I like the Larue 104, but Nikon has a pretty cool one with 20 MOA of upward cant already built in. Too many variables. This is making my FsN habit look cheap.

c1demo
Platinum Member

Post by c1demo » 24 May 2012, 03:09

I have the same gun. I had it cut to 18" and muzzlebrake put on the end. Mine is also still in the box waiting for a scope. I am partial to Nightforce, and will probably go that route.

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 25 May 2012, 13:50

NLVMike wrote:I haven't even fired it yet, and it is eating money. I got a Monarch 4 x 20/50mm scope for it. Still sitting in the box on the bedroom floor. I took the barrel off and gave it to a local gunsmith to have it threaded. I ordered a PWS FSC30 compensator. I would really like a can for it, but I don't have the patience. Then I saw the palm grip and Magpul stock, so I had to order those too. I still haven't got a scope mount yet. I like the Larue 104, but Nikon has a pretty cool one with 20 MOA of upward cant already built in. Too many variables. This is making my FsN habit look cheap.
Trade the Monarch scope for the M-223 3-12 or 4-16. Same glass, but with drop turrets. You won't need 20x for the 223. You will probably get some cash on the deal.

But yeah. ARs can add up. My SI-Defense has close to 4K into it with the scope, EOTech, Mags, IR, laser, lights, stock, grip, trigger, and other accessories. Toying with a NVS system, but that is way down on the wish list.
Last edited by flyingirish04 on 25 May 2012, 13:54, edited 2 times in total.

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 25 May 2012, 13:53

c1demo wrote:I have the same gun. I had it cut to 18" and muzzlebrake put on the end. Mine is also still in the box waiting for a scope. I am partial to Nightforce, and will probably go that route.

NF is great. But on an stock AR, I would say that's overkill. Even on my custom billet. IMHO. To each their own.

But my 338LM Improved will have a NF on it. I used to think they weren't worth the money vs Leupold's VX-3 and Mk4 L and E/RTs, but now that I own em, they are definitely worth the money if you want a extreme distance optic. Leupy is solid, but NF is the gold standard to me. I probably wouldn't buy anything more expensive though. Shot S&Bs in the military, nice, but way too pricey for what you get.

c1demo
Platinum Member

Post by c1demo » 26 May 2012, 04:46

You are probably right. I have NF on my Sako 338LM, Cooper 22-250, and a Kimber .270, A MK4 on a Kimber LPT, the rest are shod with various Leupolds.

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 26 May 2012, 05:43

there is no such thing as overkill on optics imo. good optics last a lifetime.

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 26 May 2012, 07:23

Don't get me wrong. I think it would be a cool gun. Its just that I am a person that believes if a gun will shoot just as well with hundreds less invested, might as well do that and use the surplus to expand your collection.

But if you want NF on your DPMS, more power to ya!!

NLVMike

Post by NLVMike » 27 Sep 2012, 20:43

OK, it has been sitting on my desk for ages, as work has been kind of overwhelming. I finally got it out today. Our county outdoor range has lighting and now stays open till 10:00 (I just discovered that). I put 80 rounds through it and found out where to spend the money. AMMO!! I had a bag of Lake City surplus stuff that I thought I would try out. I about went crazy trying to zero the scope. It was all over the place. I ran out of that and broke out some Federal Premium .308 loaded with 168 grain Sierra BTHP. Presto, groups were inside the 2" bullseye. The guy at the bench next to me comes over and offers me some Federal Premium 7.62x51 with 175 grain Sierra BT solids. (box looked the same). Groups went down to holes overlapping. I was kind of shocked at the difference. I thought I was going crazy at first.

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 27 Sep 2012, 21:06

175 SMKs are very forgiving, and shoot very tight with a variety of loads. I would recommend shooting loads with them exclusively.