New Tactical .45 owner

Discuss the FN Handgun lineup; the High Power, FNP, and FNX line.
Hebs

New Tactical .45 owner

Post by Hebs » 03 Mar 2012, 15:15

Looking forward to shooting this pistol...

Ubetit

Re: New Tactical .45 owner

Post by Ubetit » 04 Mar 2012, 11:13

I've been tempted to pick one up myself. I like the looks of that pistol in that color

Hebs

Post by Hebs » 04 Mar 2012, 18:42

It shot great today. The wife shot both eyes out of the zombie with her first two shots...

Thedirtyheat

Post by Thedirtyheat » 04 Mar 2012, 18:45

Zombie targets.... Nothing else prepares you for the pending attack

Glad to hear the successful range visit!

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 04 Mar 2012, 18:52

Awesome shooting! Great to hear you brought your wife out! :)
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

Hebs

Post by Hebs » 04 Mar 2012, 19:14

Ha... she shot the SCAR more than I did. She told me these two are her new favorites. In her words, "the SCAR is much sexier than the the M&P15... I wish I had one."

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 04 Mar 2012, 19:19

wow.

just

wow.

So much awesome. You must have smiled, really wide. :)

I know I would have. :thumb:
Shoot more, worry less.

Thedirtyheat

Post by Thedirtyheat » 04 Mar 2012, 19:47

That's the best when wife wants it takes much less convincing to get what you want. Or in a better way I think less begging for forgiveness.

Hebs

Post by Hebs » 05 Mar 2012, 04:59

The only thing that wowed me that day was how accurate she was with the 45. (and the Range Officer as well I'm sure since he was watching.) I figured the first shot was luck. So when I told her to take out the other eye and she did, I must say I was quite proud. We're already looking at the next addition to the SCAR...

http://www.opticsplanet.net/opmod-eotec ... r-tan.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Burt Gummer

Post by Burt Gummer » 29 Sep 2012, 00:41

The point of an FN Tactical is adding an RMR site.

If not, an HK tactical is a better choice. Just IMO. Not trying to offend, since this is indeed an FN forum.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 29 Sep 2012, 01:26

Burt Gummer wrote:The point of an FN Tactical is adding an RMR site.

If not, an HK tactical is a better choice. Just IMO. Not trying to offend, since this is indeed an FN forum.
I sincerely doubt and hope that no one is offended, just because you offered something that was preferred by yourself; even if it is an FN forum.

I think most of us are pretty open minded, though there are a few that DEFINITELY aren't. :)

Let's look at a few things;

Value: FN TAC wins hands down. No question. HK is overpriced, and FN gives you a ridiculous amount of HIGH-end extras that you would have to pay big money to get (raised suppressor-compatible night sights, MRD sight/"site" option, FDE for those who like it, higher capacity (IIRC), more magazines included.

Trigger: I would have to go with FN TAC. If it was an HK45 or USP Expert or HK USP .45 with dropped-in upgraded trigger, it would be neck and neck. However, the HK TAC USP .45, the older model, doesn't have as good as a single action as the FN TAC or the HK45.

Looks: I don't care about looks that much, at all, so whatever. But the FN would win, hands down.

Accuracy: Probably on par with each other.

Speed/Shootability: FN wins. Lower bore axis.

I'll let you be the judge. :)

Btw... I don't care about brands, just the product, and if it works. Since I don't need the extras like threaded bbls, suppressor sights, MRD sight-cuts, etc.

I would say the HK45 and FNP .45 would be neck and neck for me if price were NOT in the equation, and if asked the question; "Which .45 pistol would you buy from HK or FN?" However, FNP .45's were going for $500ish and the HK 45s are $1000, twice the price. Also, the FNP's have a lower bore axis. That alone eliminates most pros/cons from the argument, for me. The FNP .45 has replaceable backstraps... has dual-tone variants... ~50% higher capacity...

The one thing I like much better on the HK45 is the ergonomics. Though you can change the backstraps on the FNP .45, the HK45's ergos wins hands-down, for me. I also like it because it is lighter. Looks-wise, this time, the HK45 wins, hands-down. The FNP does not have the bad-affery as the FN TAC, does.

However, as I understand it, most people don't see it my way. They hear other people's glowing reviews of HK's (which also are influenced by the "I paid a lot for this firearm, therefore it must be awesome" effect) and build up a theory/image in their head that HK's are the bomb. So, when you ask them, "Why'd you get the HK?" Instead of giving physical facts/evidence, they just repeat what the other HK fan said; "Because HK's are just so well-built, they are so accurate, the SF guys use them...etc. etc."

Instead of really answering the question, "Why is the HK better than the FN, other than what you FEEL."

FYI, I like many of HK's firearms. I do think they are well-built and engineered. Since they are operator, and have SPECIALFORCES input (just like, apparently, every gun apparatus out there; though the input this time was from Hackathorn and Vickers) you can sleep better at night because you own one and that makes you a tactical ninja. The same, sadly, cannot be claimed by FN.

Here is one youtuber's and firearm reviewer's review of the HK45 and the FNP45.

Shoot more, worry less.