ynoty3k
custom title: Hoplophile

Holy EFF!!! ACR!!?!?!?!!!!

Post by ynoty3k » 17 Jan 2010, 22:53

http://www.bushmaster.com/acr/

There's a count down on the Bushmaster ACR... Hoping for a release.... This might eff up all my procurement plans royally....

Totally worth it though....

Any FFL's on here got a good bushmaster distributor with a line on pricing and availability???

romer522

Re: Holy EFF!!! ACR!!?!?!?!!!!

Post by romer522 » 18 Jan 2010, 00:04

One of the rare times I am going to agree with the tools on barfcom but at 8.3 pounds, a 1/9 barrel and over 2k, I'm not going to touch it with a 50 foot pole.

The only way they would be able to stick with SCAR level pricing is if they released the entire package, barrels, stocks, multi calibers etc.

ChuckD
custom title: Tactical Tier2 Ninja

Post by ChuckD » 18 Jan 2010, 01:40

http://dynamicarmament.com/items/ar-15~ ... detail.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Could be a trap though.

jmz5
Site Admin

Post by jmz5 » 18 Jan 2010, 05:30

romer522 wrote:One of the rare times I am going to agree with the tools on barfcom but at 8.3 pounds, a 1/9 barrel and over 2k, I'm not going to touch it with a 50 foot pole.

The only way they would be able to stick with SCAR level pricing is if they released the entire package, barrels, stocks, multi calibers etc.
+1 Over priced, over hyped.
كاف

stg2ahn

Post by stg2ahn » 18 Jan 2010, 08:58

I don't believe the rifle exists, even with their new release date of march,2010.

So many other better options out there than the ACR...
IMHO.. :)

ynoty3k

Post by ynoty3k » 18 Jan 2010, 09:30

romer522 wrote:......The only way they would be able to stick with SCAR level pricing is if they released the entire package, barrels, stocks, multi calibers etc.
Well, I guess we'll find out in about 11 Hrs 30 Minutes.... :D

ChuckD

Post by ChuckD » 18 Jan 2010, 10:15

I think it will be overpriced.
Highly overpriced. That being said, I still like my AR.

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 18 Jan 2010, 10:24

:laugh: Change the clock on your computer so that it is past the launch time. :laugh: The launch time is based on your computer's time.

ynoty3k

Post by ynoty3k » 18 Jan 2010, 11:02

All it say's is ACR Launch. They have not put that site up yet it would appear.

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 18 Jan 2010, 12:21

ynoty3k wrote:All it say's is ACR Launch. They have not put that site up yet it would appear.
Yep, but it is funny that they just use the client's system clock and not their own, or just base it off of GMT and account for time zones.

ynoty3k

Post by ynoty3k » 18 Jan 2010, 12:55

Yea, I was wondering about that. You're in Oregon right? what time GMT is it set to go off? Mines 5am GMT, or 12- Midnight EST.

Edit: they also keep adding a new picture or angle every so often. A full weapon image is up now, but it would appear out of focus, on purpose...

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 18 Jan 2010, 13:50

ynoty3k wrote:Yea, I was wondering about that. You're in Oregon right? what time GMT is it set to go off? Mines 5am GMT, or 12- Midnight EST.

Edit: they also keep adding a new picture or angle every so often. A full weapon image is up now, but it would appear out of focus, on purpose...
GMT at the time of this post is 2150hrs, so it is an 8 hour difference. Who really knows that the real time is that it will go off though... since it is different for everybody. But it the launch will be at midnight... depending on what time zone you're in.

ynoty3k

Post by ynoty3k » 18 Jan 2010, 14:09

haha No, I know what time it was in GMT when you made that post, but what I was interested in was what time was Bushmaster's ACR release site saying it would be released, Midnight PST, EST, GMT? cause mine is set for Midnight EST. Which is 5am GMT, 9pm PST.

Just curious.

I don't have cash like that right now, so I'm going back and forth between a FNP 45 Tactical and a Ruger 10/22 Target Tactical... Well, between which to get first :D

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 18 Jan 2010, 14:16

ynoty3k wrote:haha No, I know what time it was in GMT when you made that post, but what I was interested in was what time was Bushmaster's ACR release site saying it would be released, Midnight PST, EST, GMT? cause mine is set for Midnight EST. Which is 5am GMT, 9pm PST.
And mine is set for Midnight PST... :laugh:

ynoty3k

Post by ynoty3k » 18 Jan 2010, 14:29

well hey now, How come the Brits get their ACR's first?!?!?!

At least I know I'll get it before you do, :p :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Even if you don't want one, haha.

Yea... So I understand what a twist rate is, but not BC and how twist rate affects it.

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 18 Jan 2010, 15:21

The following was taken from: http://www.exteriorballistics.com/ebexp ... 4th/46.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
To support this observation further, look at Figure 4.6-3 which shows the variation of measured ballistic coefficient of the .30 caliber 190 grain Hollow Point Boat Tail MatchKing bullet as a function of twist rate in the test barrel. Six barrels were used in this test, with twist rates varying from one turn in 14 inches to one turn in 8 inches. Fifteen rounds were fired through each barrel at velocities near 2350 fps. The ballistic coefficient for each round fired is plotted in the figure. The figure also lists the average value of ballistic coefficient for the 15 rounds, together with the standard deviation and extreme spread, for each of the six twist rates used. Note that one barrel chambered a .300 Winchester Magnum cartridge, while the other five barrels chambered the .308 Winchester cartridge.

We know from common knowledge that if the twist rate of a barrel is too slow, long and heavy bullets will not be well stabilized. They do not tumble in flight, but the holes in paper targets are elliptical rather than round, indicating that the bullets are coning. Figure 4.6-3 shows what happens to the measured ballistic coefficient in such cases. For the faster twist rates, out through one turn in 11 inches in the case of the 190 grain HPBT MatchKing bullet in this test, the average values of the ballistic coefficients differ very little, and the statistical spreads are tight. When a twist rate of one turn in 12 inches was reached, the average value of measured ballistic coefficient dropped by more than 2 percent, and the spread of the measurements increased substantially. At a twist rate of one turn in 14 inches, the average ballistic coefficient decreased by more than 30 percent, and the spread increased dramatically. We emphasize that none of the test bullets tumbled in flight; all were gyroscopically stabilized, though marginally for the slowest twist rate.

This test dramatically illustrates the effect of coning motion on measured ballistic coefficient. Figure 4.6-4 shows the same test conducted on the .22 caliber 69 grain Hollow Point Boat Tail MatchKing bullet, with the same obvious results. The conclusion is inescapable that coning motion reduces the average measured ballistic coefficient and increases the statistical spread of the measured values.

romer522

Post by romer522 » 18 Jan 2010, 16:02

ynoty3k wrote:well hey now, How come the Brits get their ACR's first?!?!?!

At least I know I'll get it before you do, :p :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Even if you don't want one, haha.

Yea... So I understand what a twist rate is, but not BC and how twist rate affects it.

It pretty much means is a tossup as to whether a 75-77gr will stabilize properly in the ACR, and its not even chrome lined from what I have heard.

A gun is only as good as its barrel, at least with spending $2500 on a SCAR you know your getting one hell of a barrel, with the ACR, not so much.

ChuckD

Post by ChuckD » 18 Jan 2010, 16:41

I think I read somewhere the barrel is 1/9.
& I think 1/9 can only stabilize 69gr or less.

ynoty3k

Post by ynoty3k » 18 Jan 2010, 17:37

... well I guess we'll all find out in a little while.

Thanks for the info on the twist rate, and if the barrel isn't chrome lined, and they have such shitty engineering... well I guess its just not the hot shit I had hoped for since the days of it being the Masada...

Shoulda known Bushmaster would kill a great design and ride off the name of the Masada...

bobapunk
Gold Member
custom title: EA's range buddy

Post by bobapunk » 18 Jan 2010, 17:38

f3rr37 wrote::laugh: Change the clock on your computer so that it is past the launch time. :laugh: The launch time is based on your computer's time.
All you have to do is right click on the timer and select "forward"....

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 18 Jan 2010, 19:42

+1 Even my non-tacticool friends (I only have 2 tacticool friends thank heavens, can't take much of their technoblabbering, it hurts my head!) like the ACR. I, however, agree with you that it's highly overpriced and the SCAR is a much better platform. However, my dealer buddy has heard (not sure how credible) that the field units have shown cracks and breakage in the plastic stocks.
romer522 wrote: It pretty much means is a tossup as to whether a 75-77gr will stabilize properly in the ACR, and its not even chrome lined from what I have heard.

A gun is only as good as its barrel, at least with spending $2500 on a SCAR you know your getting one hell of a barrel, with the ACR, not so much.
+1, a gun is only as good as it's barrel&chamber. Was taught this by a man who trains Army SDMs and taught me to shoot hipower. From my experience, the 1/9 will stabilize 75gr/77gr, but NOT as well as a 1/7. From what I have shot/seen, 1/9 won't keyhole them but the groups aren't as tight, YMMV.

Of course, we ALL wouldn't mind testing one of the ACR's, yeah? :p
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

ynoty3k

Post by ynoty3k » 18 Jan 2010, 19:50

Sign me up to test about 3 or so. Just to be sure the quality control is there :lmao:

I agree man, but I just cant stomach the looks of the scar. Call me tacticool if you want, but it's pretty hideous IMO. Granted, this is perspective and wholly my opinion, Now, Looks dont really matter compared to function, however for 3k, im not gonna buy something I dont find aesthetically pleasing.

I really like the original Magpul Masada prototype, but some of that is coming through in the ACR.

Only time will tell. Now on about an hour and counting.

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 18 Jan 2010, 19:50

Be glad when it comes out soooooo all the "this is better that is better" shit will stop.
I honestly think that the weapon lost ALOT of its appeal when Bushmaster/Remington
took over the project. It is NOT the Massada any longer, wonder just how much if any
input Magpul has had since they sold out the design??

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 18 Jan 2010, 20:07

ynoty3k wrote:Sign me up to test about 3 or so. Just to be sure the quality control is there :lmao:

I agree man, but I just cant stomach the looks of the scar. Call me tacticool if you want, but it's pretty hideous IMO. Granted, this is perspective and wholly my opinion, Now, Looks dont really matter compared to function, however for 3k, im not gonna buy something I dont find aesthetically pleasing.

I really like the original Magpul Masada prototype, but some of that is coming through in the ACR.

Only time will tell. Now on about an hour and counting.
I agree with ya, anything costing over 500$ has to at least look decent, unless it shoots homing missiles then it can look as ugly as it wants :lmao: I did think the RFB looked really good when many thought it was ugly, not just on this forum. Then again the pictures online were bad and it looks different IRL. Maybe I just am more tolerant of looks b/c the SCAR is so accurate? :?:

+1 with Toys. Not that impressed with Bushmaster or Remington in terms of the ACR. I'd go with Magpul all the way.

don't forget to call me if you find an ACR to test! haha
Shoot more, worry less.

ynoty3k

Post by ynoty3k » 18 Jan 2010, 21:01

well that was a big nothing... its midnight here on the east coast and the launch site still isn't up.

What a disappointment.

P.s. It would seem that they plan on launching a whole host of accessories. If you look carefully in the flash video, the bolt is marked "mulit-cal" so hopefully they'll have plenty of options to go around.

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 18 Jan 2010, 21:03

blue, a test seems unlikely since theyre about to launch, but try watching Oprah. Maybe she'll put one under everyone in the audience's seat!! :p

romer522

Post by romer522 » 18 Jan 2010, 23:02

I had always silently hoped that bushmaster would take the full plunge on the ACR, nearly halt all AR production and really go full out with it as a viable replacement for both LEO and civs alike. Currently the ACR is the only thing bushmaster has that other manufacturers don't and it does appear that they aren't really that gung-ho about it. You make waves by jumping from the diving board not dipping your toe in the shallow end of the pool hoping that people want to buy $2700 ripples.

The only logical explanation I can think of is that its design is still not 100% finalized, maybe some final tweaking for MIL/LEO contracts or something and they aren't going to make the investment of mass production until they reach that point. There's no way the Magpul crew threw around $1500 repeatedly if they didn't know that the rifle could be produced for that much.

The illogical explanation would be that they think their rifle is that much better than the SCAR, which it might be, and that it automatically means its worth more and that sets the price. Problem being "cool-kid" pricing set the SCARs price due to limited availability, and if your going to let cool-kid pricing dictate your MSRP only the cool-kids are going to buy your shit.

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 19 Jan 2010, 10:17

I have read mid March on the release, so I think the clock is wrong!!

fooschnickens
custom title: ~( ̄∇ ̄~) (~ ̄∇ ̄)~

Post by fooschnickens » 19 Jan 2010, 10:18

For those who forgot about this thread, an update now that the specifics have been released:

http://www.bushmaster.com/Press-release-11810.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Suggested retail price: Basic $2,685 and Enhanced $3,061."

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :puke:

So much for everyone's $1,700 SCAR-killer. :laugh:

Now with the MW2 and first-run diehard tax it's prolly gonna be more expensive than the SCAR was from the gates.

Even ARfcom agrees:
It took years of late nights, false starts and expensive trial and error, but Bushmaster has finally figured out a way to get the weight of a plastic and aluminum 5.56 carbine within one pound of a walnut-stocked M1A. Welcome to the future!
They can keep it
I think I'll buy a SCAR before I buy and ACR.
Oh my, things are getting serious.
http://www.f00tography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Corporation: n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.
-Ambrose Bierce

ynoty3k

Post by ynoty3k » 19 Jan 2010, 12:36

Well, they finally put up a damn site, and info.

I want the extended stock on the basic upper. Oh wellz.

Not like i have 3k, or 2.5k...

Edit: looks like they did put out a full line, but a seemingly lacking full line

4 weapons, 2 versions of each, a std and an enhanced, one of each in black and tanish.

* 16 ½" cold hammer-forged barrel with innovative coating for extreme long life
* A2 "birdcage-type" hider to control muzzle flash
* Adjustable, two-position gas-piston-driven system, for firing suppressed or unsuppressed
* Tool-less quick-change barrel system available in 10.5", 14.5", 16.5" and 18" and in multiple calibers
* Multi-caliber bolt carrier assembly quickly and easily changes from 223/5.56mm NATO to 6.8mm Rem SPC
* Free-floating MIL-STD 1913 monolithic top rail for optic mounting
* Fully ambidextrous controls include magazine release, bolt catch and release, fire selector and non-reciprocating charging handle
* High-impact composite hand guard with heat shield – accepts rail inserts
* High-impact composite lower receiver with textured magazine well and modular grip storage
* Fixed high-impact composite A-frame stock with rubber butt pad and sling mounts
* Magpul MBUS front/rear flip sights
* Ships in oversized hard case for accessory storage, includes 30-round PMAG

Enhanced includes the following:
* AAC Blackout flash hider with exceptional signature reduction
* Three-sided aluminum hand guard with integral MIL-STD 1913 rail for accessory mounting
* Folding and six-position telescoping high-impact polymer stock with rubber butt pad and sling mounts
* 2-point push button sling

ChuckD

Post by ChuckD » 19 Jan 2010, 14:14

Sorry, I've yet to see the love for a $3,061 weapon.

romer522

Post by romer522 » 19 Jan 2010, 17:14

For 2600 you get a hand guard without rails, $90 sights, no legit magpul stock, "innovative" coating on barrel with no more specifics. Its really not going to go over well, anybody that wants to spend 2600 on a gun wants rails, a good stock etc.

rotorblade

Post by rotorblade » 19 Jan 2010, 17:21

I'll Chime in here. When I first saw the magpul masada and the specs and it being broken down I got the feeling that I was seeing the Future Assault Rifle of the US military. And a good shot at a new rifle for me. At the time I only rifle I had was the PS90. Then They released info about the PDR. I really really really want a PDR with 16" barrel to SBR or as SBR from the factory.
Then Bushmaster was announced as the builder. OH SNAP I said. Actually said more than that. Bushmaster stuff from anyone I know that had Bushy rifles and my own experience has been hit or miss. Ok new design with company building AR's for years magpul still involved, I'll give them a chance.

The ACR as released is going to be a good carbine BUT want a 18 to 20" barrel or model if Bushmaster actually makes a item number with a 18" or even 20" barrel. Not a carbine but a rifle. Got to have the barrel length to take advantage of the ACOG with horseshoe reticule. A true assault rifle just no full auto.
I actually like the fixed stock.

Then yesterday the price info was sent to me in an email. I about fell out of my chair. Somebody had to of Bumped Their Head. It had to be a typo called Customer service rep, yep 2700. When that lady said $3000.00 for enhanced model, I told her "Lady put the crack pipe down and step back". she hung up on me.
To me the ACR is like the girlfriend takes her top off, bra too, outside in the middle of july. Then says it sure is cold out here, and puts the top back on then throws you the bra, after you asked her to marry you. :huh: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :(

If I had 3 grand I would get one yes. BUT Not only No but Hell to the NO power get one right now. I'll wait. Everyone I know that wanted an ACR has said the exact same thing. One even says he has the 3 grand put back from waiting to get a SCAR but didn't like it when he found one to look says he's glad he didn't put it on order. Its just way too much sticker shock when we were told by magpul time after time $1500.

The Massoud is up next. Then the PDR may or may not get its chance. BUT I doubt very seriously that Magpul will go Bushy for those 2. IT will be 2012 or later before the PDR gets its chance, big ifffff here. God I hope the mayans are not right and just smoked to much Weed or I will get a PDR in July on my birthday and december rolls around it will all just END.

OH well.

Now the 27th of January 2010 is going to be an interesting day for Apple I Hope. And I'm tired of having my hopes cut up into little pieces like some Kiddy scissor class had just made paper dolls. Get ready for something "insanely great" again.

I hope.

Sorry for the rant just the truth.

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 19 Jan 2010, 17:22

The site doesn't even look finished. There's left over Lorem ipsum (filler text) at the top right of the page

rotorblade

Post by rotorblade » 19 Jan 2010, 17:28

romer522 wrote:For 2600 you get a hand guard without rails, $90 sights, no legit magpul stock, "innovative" coating on barrel with no more specifics. Its really not going to go over well, anybody that wants to spend 2600 on a gun wants rails, a good stock etc.
The fixed stock is a magpul design along with the lower, which hasn't changed since inseption. Your right about the sights.
The barrel is 1/9 :skep: is how I feel, should have been 1/7 but ok 1/9 lets you shoot 193 easier, probably a good choice. The barrel coating on the other hand is :huh: if its nitrocarbarized then ion bonded OK "way cool". If its chrome lined well :wall: :wall: :wall: , better start lowering the price.

romer522

Post by romer522 » 19 Jan 2010, 17:44

Everyone wants chrome lined, its at least proven. The only viable alternatives I can think of are the people doing melonite in the bores, and the hard blue guys. Ionbond still cannot be applied in a chamber/bore and even if they could it would take a whole redesigned cartridge/weapon to correct for the pressure issues.

I know its a magpul stock but it has nothing to offer and does not belong anywhere near a $2600 weapon. I've never known anyone to have problems shooting 55gr in a 1/7 and with the recent move to 77gr as defensive ammo there's really no excuse for 1/9.

I have no problems with the gun itself, the base version is probably a great gun it just doesn't do anything to justify the cost. They have been throwing around $1500 forever and it would be an easy sell at that price.

SeaHawkDriver-B
Location: Embarked on 2 acres of floating Soverign US Territory

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 19 Jan 2010, 19:05

I think Bushmaster is guilty of trying to ride the Obama wave and get a lot of people rich who were "expecting money" out of this thing. Well the hype is going to leave them broke; they won't sell a 1/10th of the units they want to at that price. There's just too much competition out there throwing 5.56 lead downrange for them to justify the price.

downtrodden

Post by downtrodden » 19 Feb 2010, 22:25

Glad I'm not the only one who *REALLY* wanted a PDR.

Glad I'm also not the only one *REALLY* disappointed with the ACR- esp. the weight and price tag.

Didn't care much for the SCAR either though...

Didn't like the Sig 556 at all....

I guess I will look at Ruger's next.

<~~~ Lost in the piston "AR" world.

murphies_finest
custom title: King Thread Killer.

Post by murphies_finest » 11 Mar 2010, 06:23

way too expensive, I will just continue to move down the FN line up.
Keep Working Millions on Welfare Depend on YOU.

no one

Post by no one » 14 Mar 2010, 17:09

I'll wait and see when (maybe if) it ever does actually get released, and then see what they are selling for. If they do actually come out, and the early buyers give it good reports based on performance and price (value for the dollar) then I'll consider buying one.

Fortunately, I have plenty of other rifles, so I won't be upset if it never does come out. There are plenty of fine alternatives available that provide an excellent value/price/performance ratio. While having another choice is always nice, if Bushmaster overprices it, they know that people will simply go with another design that provides a better value/price/performance ratio.

A number of companies have killed their own pet projects by making it either too hard, or too expensive to buy components and parts...an excellent example is the 6.5 Creedmoor. Hornady is killing a wonderful cartridge by not having it standardized by SAAMI. The only reason I can figure out that they won't have SAAMI standardize it, is so that they can keep out the competition. That would be fine if brass wasn't over priced, and reloading dies so hard to get from alternative sources...all because it isn't SAAMI certified...

My point is that while the Bushmaster rifle is a wonderful concept, it if is over priced, or too hard to find either the rifle or parts, Bushmaster will have killed the project before it ever gets a fair chance in the market place. I hope they don't do that, but like I said, if they do kill it, I have plenty of other choices.

MrSlippyFist
Global Moderator
custom title: Sweeper

Post by MrSlippyFist » 18 Mar 2010, 08:55

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQwaXVdPFe4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Embrace the Suck

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 18 Mar 2010, 09:03

Photoshop'd.

ynoty3k

Post by ynoty3k » 18 Mar 2010, 17:32

f3rr37 wrote:Photoshop'd.
was there any sarcasm in that fuzzy?

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 18 Mar 2010, 17:34

ynoty3k wrote:
f3rr37 wrote:Photoshop'd.
was there any sarcasm in that fuzzy?
:facepalm: Yes.

SamM

Re: New Bushmaster ACR

Post by SamM » 29 Sep 2011, 22:19

My experience with Bushmaster rifles has been the opposite of what has been reported here and I have carried them for many, MANY years. I've been a fan of the Bushmaster AR since I carried one in Army Basic Training many years ago. Not sure how it ended up in FT. Jackson, SC but I did carry one there. Could have been a replacement lower or something like that. Anyway, I've never had a failure of any kind with any of my Bushmaster AR rifles. A year ago, I gave my daughter my last Bushmaster M4 as a Christmas present. At that point I bought a new SIG556 Classic for myself. After shooting the SIG for quite awhile I decided that it was a real piece of crap. Bad fitting upper and lower parts, terrible accuracy and the general cheapness of the weapon killed it for me. The aluminum lower was horrible. I purchased a new VLTOR lower receiver to build a new AR for myself and sold both the SIG556 and it's 522 little brother. I loved the 522 but without the 556 I saw no reason to keep the 522. I was content to just build another AR and forget modern weaponary.

When I started building up the VLTOR lower I noticed a few oddites of that weapon too. It's a little different than a regular AR. The AR platform is great and I love them but it's the 21st century. After thinking about it, I need something a little more modern than ARs and AKs. What I ended up with is a new Bushmaster ACR Basic Folder. It cost me $2100 which is pricey but I sold the SIGs and 2 Glocks. This thing shoots pretty good. For now, I'm just looking for 200 yard battlerifle accuracy and it's good. The platform is too new for anything else right now. Once the aftermarket catches up, we'll see if more is possible.

To sum up, my daughter now has a complete VLTOR lower receiver that I will build using all new VLTOR parts, a Noveske barrel and an Adams Arms piston kit. Her Bushmaster is now mine and I have stripped it down. I will use Magpul parts to build that rifle along with another Adams Arms piston kit. My new ACR barrel has been taken off and shipped out to be cutdown to 14.5". It will be recontoured, dimpled, recoated (I didn't like the blued finish) and will get a new AAC Blackout suppressor pinned on it. The picture shows the ACR with my long-range optic, a Vortex Viper PST MRAD scope. The ACR will get a new red dot to keep the weight down to the minimum. The Gen 1 Magpul site will go and new Gen 2 sights will go on the ACR. A new Enhanced ACR handguard will also go on it. I've experienced no failures to this point but honestly, I've only put 100 rds through the ACR. The modular feature clearly sets it apart from everything else even the SCAR (it requires tools to change the barrel the ACR doesn't). All my other semi-auto rifles except the ACR and the Bushy AR are gone. All my AKs (3) have been given away to friends or traded. There simply is no reason to keep that many weapons, as I am trying to streamline my thinking. I can only shoot one at a time, why not make it the modular multi-caliber. When the 6.8SPC conversion kit is available, I'll jump on that. Hopefully the 7.62X39 won't be far behind and my Bulgarian waffle mags are waiting patiently. I see no reason to even think about the 5.45X39 cartridge anymore and I've got a case of it laying here. I'll probably give it to the friend that got my Russian AK74.

Here's the ACR with my 5.7 pistol.

SamM

Visceral_Malice

Post by Visceral_Malice » 30 Sep 2011, 18:29

I wanted the ACR so badly when it was the Masada. Once Bushmaster got involved they took away the cool stuff that made it stand out and cheapened it. It doesn't offer enough over any other piston AR to warrant the price IMO. Quick change barrels are useless with out the mythical conversion barrels.

SamM

Post by SamM » 30 Sep 2011, 21:13

So, the conversion barrels and bolts will never become available?

Honestly, I don't need the conversion parts today. I'm patient enough to wait while they workout the bugs, to get them right. The 6.8SPC barrels were supposed to be available in Nov. 2011. Apparently Bushmaster has pushed that back to Jan. 2012. I can wait. It's no big deal to me. Magpul will make the 6.8SPC and 7.62X39 magazines and they'll be right. The 7.62X39 conversion will require a lower receiver if Magpul can't get that caliber to feed from an AR type mag. Those calibers will turn the ACR into a deer rifle for me. As far as the price goes, it's come down a good but deals are out there to be found. I've seen them as low as $1800 for a new ACR. I didn't want the brown though.

Yesterday, I contacted Noveske to see if they would offer higher quality barrels for the ACR at some point in the future. The ACR uses a standard M4 barrel with a smaller gas port. We'll see what they have to say!

SamM

SamM

Post by SamM » 30 Sep 2011, 21:36

I think people are under the impression that Magpul has nothing to do with this rifle. That is not the case. My ACR has Magpul logos all over it, as all the plastic is manufactured by Magpul suppliers. Remington makes the military version with an aluminum lower receiver. I believe Bushmasters involvement is limited to fire control parts, aluminum upper receiver and assembly. The steel parts come from Remington. Some, if not all of that assembly has now been moved to Ilion, NY. Remington has a plant there. Not sure what's going on with it but things are changing. My Bushmaster fire control parts will be swapped out for something a little better.

SamM

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 30 Sep 2011, 21:43

If they had the 6.8 or AK barrels available I would consider getting one but I have no use for yet another 5.56.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

SamM

Re: Modded ACR!

Post by SamM » 11 Dec 2011, 21:25

My ACR barrel has been shortened (14.5"), reprofiled and dimpled to reduce weight by ADCO Firearms. A Blackout flash hider has also been added along with a Geissele SSA-E trigger. Just waiting on my ELCAN Specter DR to arrive to finish it up. Awesome rifle! It's a little on the heavy side but nothing that can't be handled.

SamM

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 11 Dec 2011, 21:55

It does look good but I am still waiting on the other barrels before I consider buying one. I haven't seen one in anything but a 5.56

SeaHawkDriver-B

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 12 Dec 2011, 00:30

I'm not against the ACR, and the "theory" of the multicaliber gun is pretty sound if they can actually get it to work the way it should. Seems to me the XCR beat it to market pretty badly, from a much smaller company with much less in the way of resources and capitol. I have owned a Bushy M4 and never had any serious issues with it, excpet a few AR-type FTF's that are common among most of the platforms.

The only thing that steers me away from the ACR is that every head-to-head comparison that I see that pits the SCAR and the ACR, the SCAR kicks the living crap out of the ACR, these are along the lines of individual reviews as well as the bigger gun mags...

So, if I dump $2g's on another short-stroke carbine, its going to be from FN.

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 12 Dec 2011, 06:55

Seahawk,

When did the ACR and SCAR go head to head? I can't seem to find any testing data. All the gun mags loved both rifles, but gun mags never do objective reviews, ever. Love to see one.

I will say that the five Bushmaster ARs that I have come across and used (friends, family, and I owned one at one point), two of them had gas tube blockages around the 1K mark, another one had the same issue, but around the 2K mark (round count). That one also had cracking in the upper. It was an AR-10 though, and I heard their AR-10s up till a few years ago were all crap and susceptable to cracked recievers. Word is that changed.

I don't buy bushmaster ARs because there are so much better and proven alternatives out there now. I looked at the ACR early on, but decided it was a lot like the SCAR. Overpriced for what you get compared to custom ARs. Again, just my opinion.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 12 Dec 2011, 07:15

Im not going to lie, I didnt read this whole thread but I was wondering what you guys thought about Remington getting the rights to make the ACR? From the little bit I read online, people liked the idea of the ACR but did not like the fact that bushmaster was the one making it. Now that Remington and bushmaster have been bought out by the mystery company, what does that mean for the ACR? Discuss...

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 12 Dec 2011, 09:49

Remington is owned by the Freedom Group which is a company owned and controlled by Cerberus Capital Management, L.P. It is the largest private equity firm in the nation. Nothing mysterious or shady about them at all. No need for tinfoil hats on this.

It means nothing for the ACR physically, except that now it has remington stamped on the reciever. Same gun. It could mean that if they don't see an uptick in sales, the gun will be dropped from the product line since the parent company didn't guide its development, but that isn't anything new really. Creative destruction has to occur. The nice thing though about it being privately owned however, would mean that the business isn't enslaved by quarterly P&L statements in order to keep the stock price up. They can pursue long term value rather than flash in the pan profits.
Last edited by flyingirish04 on 12 Dec 2011, 09:57, edited 1 time in total.

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 12 Dec 2011, 09:52

I knew I could count on you to bring tinfoil hats into the conversation! XoXo.

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 12 Dec 2011, 09:55

:laugh: Nice. Well maybe if you didn't look at every big company as if it were evil or sinister I wouldn't have to. No offense, but it is no different than the OWS thinking. :p

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 12 Dec 2011, 10:01

Haha, I do look at it like that though. Unfortunately you dont become a billionaire by NOT being corrupt. Just ask the pope...

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 12 Dec 2011, 10:16

Yeah, sorry. I thought you were serious for a moment. You got me.

The premise is interesting though, because people do think that. It is absurd though. Look at Koch Industries. THey are spending millions to allow street vendors to do business easier in cities, because they believe in free market principles. They are also lobbying to end ethanol subsidies, and they just purchased 3 ethanol plants. WHy? Because they believe in the free market and the ability for the best and brightest to win out.
Last edited by flyingirish04 on 12 Dec 2011, 10:35, edited 1 time in total.

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 12 Dec 2011, 10:29

I was being facetious, I guess I should have added a " :p "...

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 12 Dec 2011, 10:33

THen I apologize. I didn't see the sarcasm alert. My bad. :facepalm: I edited. STill, check out those armadillo hats, way better than tinfoil :thumb:

SamM

Re: ACR

Post by SamM » 15 Dec 2011, 23:30

Perhaps more will be revealed about the ACR at the SHOT Show in January. Remington Defense makes the military version of the ACR which isn't for sale to civilians. You can't get a Remington ACR yet. Hopefully, that will change. Bushmaster has recently announced first quarter sales of conversion kits and shorter barrels :lmao: ...but they have said that before, so I'm not holding my breath.

It seems natural to me that Remington would sell a civilian version of the ACR, as that is what they do. Remington Defense could handle military sales and Bushmaster could be done away with. In this economy, I would think that would streamline the company a good bit. Honestly, I think of my ACR as a Magpul Masada anyway, as it has Magpul logos all over it but doesn't say Bushmaster anywhere on it. There is one B.F.I. stamp on it but it doesn't say Bushmaster and there is no snake logo on it either.

The rifle does shoot very nice. Much better than an AR does. I've shot 1-1.5" groups with mine at 100 yards. I looked at the SCAR but it has even less parts availability than the ACR. If you can believe that. Nothing is available for the SCAR from FN.

SamM

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 16 Dec 2011, 06:58

1.5 MOA is pretty standard with the ACR and SCAR. Definitely good. Nowhere as good as a custom billet AR, but as good or better than any forged production AR for sure.

And Remington will sell the civi version of the ACR. It won't change at all from what is being sold now I am told, other than the Remington labeling.

SeaHawkDriver-B

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 16 Dec 2011, 12:37

This being an FN Forum, I can't imagine too many ACR purchasers, considering that the SCAR and ACR are basically in identical categories with somewhat identical capabilities.

FNtacticalNUT
custom title: GOOD ole VIRGINIA

Post by FNtacticalNUT » 16 Dec 2011, 13:45

Look at the source

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 16 Dec 2011, 19:29

SeaHawkDriver-B wrote:This being an FN Forum, I can't imagine too many ACR purchasers, considering that the SCAR and ACR are basically in identical categories with somewhat identical capabilities.
ACRs around here are cheaper than SCARs. That would be the only reason I could see. I don't own either.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 16 Dec 2011, 20:44

Can the SCAR interchange calibers? IF the ACR ever gets the other barrels/assemblies (which is the whole point of the "Adaptive" ain't it?) out I will probably get one.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 16 Dec 2011, 20:45

SeaHawkDriver-B wrote:This being an FN Forum, I can't imagine too many ACR purchasers, considering that the SCAR and ACR are basically in identical categories with somewhat identical capabilities.
SCARS handle better than ACR's. I'm not speaking on ergonomics as it is different per person.

I am referring to the shooting of the firearm.
Shoot more, worry less.

SamM

Re: Bushmaster ACR

Post by SamM » 24 Feb 2012, 11:33

Here is my much modified Bushmaster ACR. It now has a Geissele SSA-E trigger and an ELCAN Specter DR sight. The rifle has been lightened to 7.5lbs. With the ELCAN sight as pictured it's 8.7lbs. Almost 1lb has been cut from the handguard and buttstock by doing some creative sculpting with a hacksaw, a rasp and some light sanding. I have a few more places on the rifle, that I would like to thin down but will wait for now.

Some parts have finally started to trickle out of Bushmaster/Remington. I have purchased 2 extra sets of gas system components but a few of the barrel parts are not available yet. So far, I have purchased a chrome-lined FN 5.56 NATO 1/7 barrel, 5.45X39, 6.8ARP and .223 Wylde melonite barrels. Still waiting on a 7.62X39 barrel, but I have purchased a new 7.62X39 bolt and a magazine.

The SCAR is an excellent weapon. I don't want to take anything away from it. The ACR has a couple of nice features that it doesn't though. AR triggers will work in the ACR. Geissele does make a trigger for the SCAR but it's a little more pricey. A standard Geissele AR15 SSA-E trigger can be picked up for $179 and some change. The ACR also uses a standard type M4 barrel. With a little machinework, they'll fit the ACR and are available in a wide range of calibers. The barrel needs to have a mid-length gas sytem and a gas block mount that's .750".

Not trying to change anyone's opinion about the ACR. Just trying to get some information out there.

SamM

16" Lightweight profile Melonite coated .223 Wylde barrel w/5R rifling

Bushmaster ACR gas system parts
Last edited by SamM on 25 Feb 2012, 05:47, edited 2 times in total.

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 24 Feb 2012, 12:09

Isn't the upper the registered part?

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 24 Feb 2012, 14:46

Great work, Sam.

I like the purposeful cuts you have done to your ACR platform.

That's a lot of calibers and a lot of keeping up with different mags. I'm sure you'll make an easy-to-use labeling system for the magazines.

Having AR compatibility is a big pro to the ACR. The G trigg for the SCAR goes for $400~. That's laughable, as any experienced person can do a very safe trigger job to most carbines; I'm pretty sure the SCAR is no exception.

G triggers are great, though. I use them very frequently, from the 2-stages to the S3G triggers for long matches and they have done well.
Shoot more, worry less.

SamM

Post by SamM » 25 Feb 2012, 05:21

Thanks blueorison!

The cuts make the weapon look a little more spaceage to me. In the end, it was well worth the effort. Cutting into a $2100 weapon made me a little nervous. I looked at it for about a week, before gathering up the nerve for the first cut. In my early life, I was a bit of an artist, so my attention to detail is sometimes over the top. More cutting is planned. I'm all in on the ACR weapon platform, so I don't expect the ACR to go anywhere soon. Besides, I've cut it up. It's a very nice shooting weapon. Recoil is smooth and the trigger pull is the best! Taking it to the range is a very interesting experience as everyone that sees it wants to shoot it. They all want to see how it comes apart too. Numerous times as they go and get their buddies, to come over to see it. I'll usually let anyone shoot it, if they have .223 rounds. I don't like to supply both the ammo and the rifle. :D One guy had some steel case that I had never ran through it. The ACR ate it. At first, I was concerned but it ran fine. I'll soon be doing some testing to see how well the ELCAN reticle tracks with the recommended 62Gr XM855 ammo. Recently picked up a 1200rd case of that from Cabela's.

All of my other rifles, have been sold off or given away. Last week, a Rem 700 and Marlin 1895 went down the road. I do have a custom Noveske N4 (M4) that I'm building up but even my hunting rifles have all been sold off. My daughter got the last of it. A Chinese AK, Bushmaster M4 and Rem 700 in .308. I'm trading another Bushmaster AR for some work on a motorcycle. My new Noveske will be a training rifle and backup to the ACR. I believe everyone should have at least one M4. I'm not a fan of DI guns, so it will be piston driven. My plan is to just have two primary multi-caliber rifles. The ACR and a new DTA SRS Covert bullpup rifle that I am saving up for. My plan is for just one higher end long-range optic that will be swapped from the ACR to the SRS. It will sit in a LaRue mount. It will probably be a Schmidt & Bender PMII or a Horus scope. The ACR has the ELCAN and I'll likely get an Aimpoint T1 for it, that will also be used on the Noveske. The DTA calibers will be: .243Win, .308Win, .300Win Mag and later a .338LM. All the barrels will be either 18 or 20".

The most important calibers to me, for the ACR are: 5.56X45, 5.45X39, 7.62X39 and the 6.8ARP. Anything else will be gravy. Many more calibers are possible. Everything from the .17 Remington and .204 Ruger to the .300 Whisper and maybe even the .458 SOCOM. The caliber selection that I'm looking at should give me good options for any shooting or hunting that I have planned. My big game hunting is limited to whitetail deer on my property. The 6.8 can handle that. The 5.56 and 5.45 are very similar but I'd like the option of shooting any 5.45 that I may come across. My 5.45 barrel is melonite coated. I have always be a fan of multi-caliber weapons. We've never before had the options that will soon be possible. There is still a long way to go with the ACR but Bushmaster has a July release date for the 6.8 bolt and the 7.62X39 bolt will soon be available from an aftermarket source. The magazines should be fairly easy to keep track of. For 5.56, I will use the Lancer L5 AWM, the 6.8 will use PRI or Barrett mags and the 5.45 will use regular aluminum GI type mags with modified followers. I just bought a 7.62X39 mag from PWS. It has a very noticeable curve and looks like nothing else. You're right though, they will all be marked to avoid confusion along with the bolts. The Noveske will get 7 Magpul M3 magazines.

I was the first person that was able to score gas system parts from Bushmaster. My call just happened to be on the release date for those parts. The barrel parts will be available as soon as they catch up with the demand for the new 5.56 barrel conversions. Meaning, all of those parts are being held for 5.56 barrel production. Bushmaster/Remington will be releasing those barrels in late March. That's what we have been told but we've all heard that before, with nothing happening. I remain confident that Bushmaster will support the platform. If not, the aftermarket will step up. It would be very easy to produce ACR bolts. Only one machining process is different. The cam pin is at a different angle.

As I go forward, I will post about the rifle and caliber conversions.

ELCAN optic w/ARD, Magpul MS3 sling & Lancer AWM

DTA SRS Covert w/16" .308Win barrel

Bushmaster ACR w/6.8ARP barrel installed
Last edited by SamM on 25 Feb 2012, 05:36, edited 1 time in total.

SamM

Post by SamM » 25 Feb 2012, 05:25

Isn't the upper the registered part?
srt-4_jon,
Yes, the upper is the registered part. Why do you ask?

SamM

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 25 Feb 2012, 19:53

Gotta hand it to you, Sam, you know what to do.

I do not have the option to be a gun collector, so I've arrived at your path before I even took it.

I plan to have only one long range system and one or two short-medium range system in different calibers.

As of yet, I'm not worried about getting a carbine or long-range rifle. I find it impractical to CCW most carbines, and when I do go hunting, I hunt with handguns. For multigun and 3Gun, my friends allow me to use their guns, or I would not be able to shoot at all.

I actually used the same sight setup and trigger setup in matches before; Elcans with G triggers. If you watched the last video I posted, you would be able to see two of the carbines I used, topped with different Elcans. One is owned by my good friend in the video, who is also a member of our forum. Today at 3Gun I was using (or RUNNING, because I feel that I'm tacticool..not :lmao: ) a LaRue 18in with Swar. 1-6x and G trigg. It RAN very well. I also did RUN with it and there was a stage wherein I did run and shoot while RUNNING (actually RUNNING my gun). Anyway, said that to say that I can empathize with your mindset, going into this form of firearm setup. :thumb:

I do like Aimpoints; the T1 has a very small footprint and takes up very little real-estate (operator talk). It's small and compact (regular talk). Though overpriced?/expensive.

I appreciate the fact that you are allowing for many calibers, though I feel it excessive. But that's none of my business, because it is your money!

The LaRue optic mounts are very good. I have only seen one that didn't work correctly, but it was a used one and I don't know what the previous owner did to it.

I was hanging out with Mr. LaRue's son today, coincidentally.

Anyway, cool beans. Sorry for the tangents, my brain is everywhere. I saw two guns blow up today, and am very sunburnt and tired.
Shoot more, worry less.

SamM

Post by SamM » 26 Feb 2012, 00:29

I appreciate the input blueorison!

There were just too many guns sitting here in my safe unused.Multi-cal is the way to go. That is a lot of calibers and it could easily change. I have already commited to the .223 Wylde, 5.56 NATO, 5.45X39, 7.62X39 and the 6.8 as I have purchased barrels in these calibers for the ACR. Like most, the 5.56 will be my 'go to' caliber of choice. The .223 Wylde barrel was purchased on a whim, before I found the 5.56 machinegun barrel from Spike's Tactical. That barrel is very thin and turns my cutdown ACR into a 7lb rifle. In a worse case scenario, the 5.45 and 7.62 Russian calibers let me shoot any of that ammo, that I may happen upon. Those let the ACR replace both my AK rifles. Which I felt was important. The 6.8 gets me in on pig hunting, deer hunting and medium range precision shooting with a better optic. With the exception of the .223 Wylde, I feel these are the minium in the ACR. A SBR .300BLK gets me a CQB platform from the same weapon. I may spring for a can later on.

The DTA Covert will be needed in .243 for coyotes, small varmit hunting and possibly deer. That rifle is very modular and very versatile. It would be a great ranch rifle in .243 with a smaller optic and then a precision tool in .300 Win Mag and a long-range optic. The .300WM was my regular deer caliber of choice (with heavier bullets) and after shooting .308 rifles for years, I really enjoy it for long-range shooting. I can hunt anything with that caliber. Those may be the only two calibers that I need. The .338LM is not really necessary and only on my wishlist at this point. The .308 may or may not happen. A .338 caliber DTA can lets me suppress this weapon platform in all the available calibers. It could happen as well.

I've also sold or given away all my Glock pistols. The wife got my G26. The G19 and G17 went down the road. My FiveseveN is my only current pistol. At some point, I'll need another CCW pistol. May go with a Gen 4 G19. Don't like the .40. Stuck on the 9mm since my GSSF and IDPA days.

The Vortex optics appeal to me but I'd rather step up to european glass for the DTA. There is a Vortex SPARC on my daughter's M4 and I have a Vortex Viper PST 1-4X24, that I just added (read: gave) to her Rem 700 (.308) with a Vortex QD Cantilver mount. It will also go right over onto the M4. The Aimpoint is pricey but with having far fewer rifles, I can afford it. Same with the ELCAN. It was very pricey but worth it in the end. I see two highend riflescopes for the DTA, in LaRue QD mounts. A 1-8X short range scope and a 5-25X for long range. Both with matching HORUS reticles. They would also work on the ACR. Just one man's, two gun plan! Well, three if you count the FiveseveN. I'll never get rid of it! Best weapon I have ever purchased!

Buying more and more, no longer appeals to me. As I get older, I feel that less is more! I'm in the process of building my wife a huge new house. It's taken much longer than I planned, due to her losing her job and a worsening economy. Soon there will only be the two of us and it's way too much for us. We'll probably give it to the daughter and move into my mom's little cottage that my father built her. It just makes more sense!

Thanks!

SamM

SamM

Re: Bushmaster ACR 1/7" twist 5.56x45 NATO conversion done!

Post by SamM » 10 Jun 2012, 22:47

Here is the first caliber conversion done on my Bushmaster ACR. The barrel pictured on the rifle is a 1/7" twist chrome-lined barrel in 5.56x45 NATO and made by FN for the M4. It's from Spike's Tactical and is 16" long. The barrel cost me $249. Yes, the .223 Remington has the same basic cartridge dimensions as the 5.56 NATO, but they are very different due to pressure differences. The ACR shoots very well in this caliber but is overgassed due to the larger gas port in the 16" FN 1/7" M4 barrel. Bushmaster does not offer the 1/7" twist barrel for the ACR yet. The only way to get this is to do it yourself. This barrel works very well with the M855 round that my ELCAN sight is calibrated for. A friend and I are planning to make an adjustable gas block to remedy the over-gassing problem. We will add a set screw to the gas block that will allow the amount of gas going into the system to be regulated. This has been done before and works great. It's ironic that my ACR now uses an FN barrel and the same PWS flash suppressor found on the FN SCAR. This is the way the ACR should have come from the factory.

I have also just finished a 5.45x39 Russian conversion for my ACR. It shoots fine but is over-gassed too. The gas block on that barrel will also be drilled for a set screw. The 5.45x39 conversion uses a melonite coated barrel from Spike's Tactical and bolt that was machined to fit the 5.45x39 cartridge. The new 5.45 bolt is just a stock Bushmaster ACR bolt that has been machined by Arctic Arms. My next move is to have both barrels cryo-treated by 300 Below Inc. All of my parts were recently sent to Argonauts ReInc in Colorado to be used in a 7.62x39 Russian barrel that I purchased from AR15 Performance. I'm sorry that I don't have an pictures of the 5.45x39. Didn't take any when I tested it and it's apart now for the cyro-treatment.

When everything is finished I plan to do some bench tested to see if the groups tightened up any from the cryo-treatment. I'll post pictures then. Once Bushmaster releases barrel parts, I will be able to shoot the 5.56x45 NATO, 5.45x39 Russian and 7.62x39 Russian. My next conversions are the 6.8ARP (an improved 6.8SPC) and the 6.5Grendel. After that we are going for the .204 Ruger and the .300 Blackout. These last two cartridges use standard .223 Rem magazines and bolts.

Thanks for looking!

SamM

SamM

Re: ACR 7.62x39 Russian caliber conversion

Post by SamM » 04 Jul 2012, 19:48

Here it is. The 7.62x39 Russian caliber conversion is finished. The bolt is from Argonauts ReInc. and the barrel is from AR15 Performance. This thing shoots nice. We are taking it to the range tomorrow for some testing. The magazines are from ASC. I'm forced to keep it this caliber because Bushmaster has not released barrel parts yet. Once they do, I'll be shooting the 5.56 NATO and 5.45x39 Russian calibers too. Next on the list is 6.8ARP. That barrel is getting ready to be machined to fit.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 04 Jul 2012, 20:14

Looks sweet!

Don't you have to re-zero every time you change calibers though? I notice, in the pics, your optics come & go.

SamM

Re: Changing calibers!

Post by SamM » 06 Jul 2012, 01:34

As I said, it is not really possible to change calibers yet. Remington has not released the required parts. It would required me buying extra rifles and parting them out to get what I need. I'm not quite ready to do that yet. Once they release the parts, I will have the 7.62x39, 5.45x39 and the 1/7" 5.56x45 NATO. Still in the works is the 6.8ARP (an improved Gen 3 SPC), 6x45, 300BLK and possibly the 6.5 Grendel. I'd also like to have the .204 Ruger later on for Coyotes.

The ELCAN does not loose zero when removed as long as the caliber remains the same. I've done this numerous times and it retains zero. When switching calibers the plan is to change back to the previous zero settings. The ELCAN uses external adjustments rather than internal adjustments. It only requires each caliber to be zeroed once. Write the settings down and then return to them as needed. Basically, you mark a starting point (somewhere in the middle) and all the settings for each caliber are measured from there. Simple and easy.

smpsmp

Post by smpsmp » 05 Sep 2012, 19:31

Well mine finally showed up. What interested me off the get go was it's stamped Ilion, NY which makes sense since Bushmaster doesn't own the Windham plant anymore. Other thing was it shipped from Tenn. Thought that was kinda odd.

I did file and sand down the safety on the one side, it was annoying my trigger finger when indexing on the side of the gun. Put a set of troy sights on, a foward grip and rail covers, and ordered my T1 awhile, so just waiting on that.

Next thing will be the Geiselle trigger for the ACR, another magnifier, then a new barrel and then the SBR route down to 12.5 inches. This is going to be long running project I imagine.

Overall, I got what I expected. It's nothing to do back flips over, but it will serve a purpose. Then again I can't remember doing back flips over any gun I own.

Would post pics, but my phone's camera sucks.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 05 Sep 2012, 20:21

Do they have the other caliber conversions for it out yet?

smpsmp

Post by smpsmp » 06 Sep 2012, 19:40

Negative ghostrider, no caliber conversions yet.

The T1 came into today, so that's on it now (our aimpoint sales guy is always fast, plus he's only in VA).

As far as re-barreling goes, I'm going to stick with 5.56. Just going to replace it with a better barrel (probably a Noveske, or a DD barrel if I feel like spending less), and then install a set screw in the gas block so it's not over gassed. The only conversion I'd care to have would be 300 blackout since I have an AR in one now, setup to reload for it, and have a can for it. But not in any real rush as of now.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 06 Sep 2012, 20:03

should replace it with krieger :D
Shoot more, worry less.

smpsmp

Post by smpsmp » 06 Sep 2012, 21:07

I'm thinking DD more and more. I can buy their barrels for about 180 at the shop, and I'm not going to get anywhere near the accuracy my AR has with the Noveske. I'll have to check and see what I can get FN's barrels (the ones spikes and PSA sell) for, cause if it's a lil less I might even consider that.

The big part of my decision will be if I can get FN barrels already at 12.5 like I can with DD. If I can't then DD it is, and if I can then who knows. But that's just me being lazy and not wanting to cut and crown the barrel.