Time at the range with two new guns

Discuss the variety of handguns out there.
57js

Time at the range with two new guns

Post by 57js » 09 Dec 2011, 18:04

I went to the range today to shoot my new CZ 75B and Glock 20SF. I have to say that the CZ is everything Blue, Jay, and everyone else said it was. I dry fired it over the last month quite a bit per the recommendations here, and shot off about 200 rounds. The gun felt great, and it was very accurate. I was with a group of people, and they all shot it as well. They also liked it very much. Very tight groups, and I was better with the CZ than the Glock 19 I shot that someone else brought.

I have some EA 10mm ammo, but haven't shot it since I haven't gotten my new barrel for the 20SF yet. Hopefully in a few weeks it will be in. Some of my friends warned me about the huge recoil of the 10mm, but I don't understand their complaints about the recoil since the recoil seemed quite manageable, and no more that my .357 mag revolvers. I definitely noticed the difference when I went from the Glock to the CZ since there is a recoil difference between the 9mm and 10mm. My only real annoyance with the 20SF is that I shot around 250 rounds, and the spent brass went flying everywhere so I couldn't get much of it. I don't reload yet, but I am thinking about it.

I enjoyed shooting both guns, and look forward to my next trip to the range.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Re: Time at the range with two new guns

Post by blueorison » 09 Dec 2011, 22:29

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11996" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 09 Dec 2011, 23:52

57js wrote: Some of my friends warned me about the huge recoil of the 10mm, but I don't understand their complaints about the recoil since the recoil seemed quite manageable, and no more that my .357 mag revolvers.
What kind of ammo were you shooting. Most 10mm ammo on the shelf is just a little hotter than 40S&W. When you get into the more expensive ammo, you will see the major recoil difference.

57js

Post by 57js » 10 Dec 2011, 09:11

srt-4_jon wrote:
57js wrote: Some of my friends warned me about the huge recoil of the 10mm, but I don't understand their complaints about the recoil since the recoil seemed quite manageable, and no more that my .357 mag revolvers.
What kind of ammo were you shooting. Most 10mm ammo on the shelf is just a little hotter than 40S&W. When you get into the more expensive ammo, you will see the major recoil difference.
I was shooting Federal American Eagle 180 grain FMJ. I know they weren't as hot as Jay's stuff or Buffalo Bore, but I was expecting a lot more recoil. Most of my friends don't reload, and buy most of their ammo in Walmart or other stores. Very few of them use Buffalo Bore or other "specialty" ammo. It is also possible that my friends were shooting other 10mm guns so it is possible that the recoil might be worse on those guns.

Once my new barrel comes in, I will try out Jay's rounds as well as some other hotter rounds I have. I suspect I might post that recoil is a little worse with those rounds. I plan on keeping the stock 17 lb spring though.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 10 Dec 2011, 11:24

57js wrote:
I was shooting Federal American Eagle 180 grain FMJ..

Those are literally loaded to 40S&W specs.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

57js

Post by 57js » 10 Dec 2011, 13:52

panzermk2 wrote:
57js wrote:

I knew the off the store shelf is not as hot as other ammo, but I was hoping it was more powerful than the .40S&W. I guess I know what it is like now to shoot a .40S&W.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 10 Dec 2011, 14:12

10mm factory is pretty weak. They are slowwwww. I shot and chrono'd some 10mm through a full-sized EAA. It was really sad. If you handload you can get your ammo a lot better.

When you shoot EA 10mm as I have, you'd better be prepared.
Shoot more, worry less.

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 10 Dec 2011, 16:06

57js wrote:
panzermk2 wrote:
57js wrote:

I knew the off the store shelf is not as hot as other ammo, but I was hoping it was more powerful than the .40S&W. I guess I know what it is like now to shoot a .40S&W.
actually, 40 will be easier controlled due to the larger frame of the 10mm gun vs a normal 40 gun.

57js

Post by 57js » 10 Dec 2011, 17:12

blueorison wrote:10mm factory is pretty weak. They are slowwwww. I shot and chrono'd some 10mm through a full-sized EAA. It was really sad. If you handload you can get your ammo a lot better.

I think I cleaned out the last of EA's inventory of 10mm. I guess we will have to wait until they enter production again. In the meantime, I bought some Buffalo Bore and Underwood ammo. Hopefully my new barrel will be in soon as my trip to the range will probably be next month.

I don't handload any ammo at this time, but I have some books on it. Will consider it in the future. I was hoping to collect all the brass I shot so that I would have it should I start reloading. That didn't work out so well with it flying everywhere.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 10 Dec 2011, 19:55

57, it would be really great if you could chronograph the Buffalo Bore and Underwood for data for the forum :)

Do you have a chronograph?
Shoot more, worry less.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 10 Dec 2011, 22:41

57js wrote:
blueorison wrote:10mm factory is pretty weak. They are slowwwww. I shot and chrono'd some 10mm through a full-sized EAA. It was really sad. If you handload you can get your ammo a lot better.

I think I cleaned out the last of EA's inventory of 10mm. I guess we will have to wait until they enter production again. In the meantime, I bought some Buffalo Bore and Underwood ammo. Hopefully my new barrel will be in soon as my trip to the range will probably be next month.

I don't handload any ammo at this time, but I have some books on it. Will consider it in the future. I was hoping to collect all the brass I shot so that I would have it should I start reloading. That didn't work out so well with it flying everywhere.
We are awaiting delivery of a 10mm/357sig and other common calibers dedicated press.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 10 Dec 2011, 23:01

Brb, changing my pants. I just dirtied them.

I think a very special lady would also be excited. I'm going to send her a link to this thread.
Shoot more, worry less.

57js

Post by 57js » 11 Dec 2011, 12:19

blueorison wrote:57, it would be really great if you could chronograph the Buffalo Bore and Underwood for data for the forum :)

Do you have a chronograph?
Unfortunately, I do not have a chronograph. I know both manufacturers post information on their websites though only Buffalo Bores states with what gun was used in recording the numbers.

57js

Post by 57js » 11 Dec 2011, 12:21

panzermk2 wrote:
57js wrote:

We are awaiting delivery of a 10mm/357sig and other common calibers dedicated press.
When do you expect to begin selling 10mm (.44mag? .357 mag?) ammo again?

nrv216

Post by nrv216 » 11 Dec 2011, 17:04

57js,

You keep saying you are waiting for your new barrel before shooting hotter loads. May I ask why? I have heard about glock chambers bulging brass but from what I have seen/ experienced that is only an issue if you plan on reusing the brass. Does EA suggest not shooting their ammo out of stock glock barrels?

nrv216

edit: I just saw that you said you are planning on reloading. Sorry. But my EA question still stands.

57js

Post by 57js » 11 Dec 2011, 17:09

nrv216 wrote:57js,

You keep saying you are waiting for your new barrel before shooting hotter loads. May I ask why? I have heard about glock chambers bulging brass but from what I have seen/ experienced that is only an issue if you plan on reusing the brass. Does EA suggest not shooting their ammo out of stock glock barrels?

nrv216

edit: I just saw that you said you are planning on reloading. Sorry. But my EA question still stands.
There shouldn't be a problem firing from the gen 3 barrel though I understand the gen 2 barrel could have problems. EA and other manufacturers of hotter ammo recommend aftermarket barrels to make sure the round is fully supported. The KKM, Storm Lake, and Lone Wolf barrels are fully supported. The gen 2 Glock barrels aren't fully supported so there could be some issues there. Gen 3 barrels are better supported, but manufacturers still recommend a different barrel (and some recommend a stiffer spring).

nrv216

Post by nrv216 » 11 Dec 2011, 17:16

57js wrote:
nrv216 wrote:57js,

nrv216

There shouldn't be a problem firing from the gen 3 barrel though I understand the gen 2 barrel could have problems. EA and other manufacturers of hotter ammo recommend aftermarket barrels to make sure the round is fully supported. The KKM, Storm Lake, and Lone Wolf barrels are fully supported. The gen 2 Glock barrels aren't fully supported so there could be some issues there. Gen 3 barrels are better supported, but manufacturers still recommend a different barrel (and some recommend a stiffer spring).

Yeah, I have heard that before. I have a gen 3 glock 29sf and have never had any issues with anything I have run through it. SO... being the cheap as that I am, I have left it as is.

nrv216

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 11 Dec 2011, 17:26

Actually third party chrono testing of all these rounds have been done including video taping of them.

All test performed under the same conditions including location.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... l=en#gid=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.youtube.com/user/drsjr1969?feature=watch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition