FNH Quality Control

Discuss the FN Handgun lineup; the High Power, FNP, and FNX line.
FNForever

FNH Quality Control

Post by FNForever » 26 Sep 2011, 15:03

I have heard alot of whining about poor QC out of FNH-USA. I have some friends that would argue that FN has some of the best quality control in the business. Has anyone ever toured the factory or had any personal experiences within the company?? I dont want to hear about wear and tear and whining about how your combat handguns dont look new anymore, that is one of my pet peeves. I just want to know if anyone has seen the facilities and know what the standards are in manufacturing.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Re: FNH Quality Control

Post by blueorison » 26 Sep 2011, 16:01

I haven't, but,
FNForever wrote:I dont want to hear about wear and tear and whining about how your combat handguns dont look new anymore, that is one of my pet peeves.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I knew you were cool like that!

FN makes the majority of the guns that our MIL uses. That itself speaks volumes.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

FNForever

Post by FNForever » 26 Sep 2011, 17:32

If I were half as picky as those people almost every gun I own would have been back for work at one point or another. The only gun I have ever "sent in" was a Springfield 1911 Trophy Match. After about 50 rounds the slide would actually completely bind upon a round being chambered. I sent it in and they found that a few parts had not been fitted properly. Those 1911's along with the TRPs are supposed to be hand fitted by their best too. I dont hold it against them though, they make great guns mine was just one of those Friday night things lol.

FNtacticalNUT
custom title: GOOD ole VIRGINIA

Post by FNtacticalNUT » 05 Dec 2011, 19:46

I will say that my FNP .45 TACT was quite dirty from the factory. I questioned this to BOB AILES from FN at that time. He said that every FNH weapon is fired from the factory from 5-25 times from the factory. After they fire them they ship them without cleaning them. I was really upset once I broke the gun apart to realize how dirty it was. But after a good cleaning I am extremelly happy with my .45 TACT. And for that all of my FNH products.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 05 Dec 2011, 20:50

I knew they fired it at least once but didn't know they did it that many times. That explains the condition I've seen a few other firearms in if other companies have the same practice.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 05 Dec 2011, 20:52

FNtacticalNUT wrote:I will say that my FNP .45 TACT was quite dirty from the factory. I questioned this to BOB AILES from FN at that time. He said that every FNH weapon is fired from the factory from 5-25 times from the factory. After they fire them they ship them without cleaning them. I was really upset once I broke the gun apart to realize how dirty it was. But after a good cleaning I am extremelly happy with my .45 TACT. And for that all of my FNH products.
JHS on the other forum claims they fire one magazine through the gun :) Although I do quite trust what Bob A had told me when he says they can fire anywhere from 25-100 rounds through a new pistol..

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 05 Dec 2011, 20:53

Certain models get that treatment. Not all. They are all fired at least once. Kimber cleans their guns after they fire them though. Others do too, or the gun seller will.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 05 Dec 2011, 20:55

Buffman wrote:
FNtacticalNUT wrote:I will say that my FNP .45 TACT was quite dirty from the factory. I questioned this to BOB AILES from FN at that time. He said that every FNH weapon is fired from the factory from 5-25 times from the factory. After they fire them they ship them without cleaning them. I was really upset once I broke the gun apart to realize how dirty it was. But after a good cleaning I am extremelly happy with my .45 TACT. And for that all of my FNH products.
JHS on the other forum claims they fire one magazine through the gun :) Although I do quite trust what Bob A had told me when he says they can fire anywhere from 25-100 rounds through a new pistol..
BTOWN ALERT!!! :clap:

What Bob said is true. Certain models do get a long of fire before shipping. My Sig 226 Navy is broke in according to NSW standards which means no less than 100 rounds. I believe the FNP45T is shot at least 25 rounds before shipping, but don't quote me on that.

As far as what btown said, I don't know for sure, but it is possible. I know a QC test firing is common practice for all mainstream gun manufacturers.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

FNtacticalNUT

Post by FNtacticalNUT » 06 Dec 2011, 13:30

Well from what both BOB and TIM at the time told me was that every gun is fired at different levels. There is no standard protocol to what sequence. It could be 1 to what ever. I would just like to have the target that they used with every product as well as the first fired casing. That way it is proof to the customer that your high end product did this at the factory before shipping. I think this would seperate them from the competition.
I have no issues with cleaning my gun even though it is new. I always clean every firearm when I first fire it so that I have done a thorough job inspecting it. I did get a KIMBER once that had not been cleaned from them. This was unusual from them in my expeience. That pistol for some reason always faught me and I was never happy with it from day one. Had to get rid of it but kept my othe KIMBERS. :clap: :thumb:

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 06 Dec 2011, 15:06

FNtacticalNUT wrote:I was really upset once I broke the gun apart to realize how dirty it was. But after a good cleaning I am extremelly happy with my .45 TACT. And for that all of my FNH products.
I dont get extremly happy till my gun Gets dirty. I like beating the piss out of my stuff. Reassure myself of the quality....

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 06 Dec 2011, 16:00

MikeSantor wrote:I like beating the piss out of my stuff.
Yeah we heard that about you :p
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 07 Dec 2011, 01:34

MikeSantor wrote:
FNtacticalNUT wrote:I was really upset once I broke the gun apart to realize how dirty it was. But after a good cleaning I am extremelly happy with my .45 TACT. And for that all of my FNH products.
I dont get extremly happy till my gun Gets dirty. I like beating the piss out of my stuff. Reassure myself of the quality....
Mike and I are ISOLATIONISTS on this one. Unlike many we like to use our gear hard and we think a large scratch on the frame of the gun actually adds character.

I do not try to be creative and go out of my way to abuse my guns. However, I have a history of breaking things that have to do with firearms. That said, it means that if my gear can survive my hard use, then it is ten times the better because I can have confidence in it. If I'm sliding on my sidearm holster while doing a transition stage with my rifle and it survives, I know that if I have to fall fast behind cover, my gun is secure.

I honestly don't know why people get annoyed when their gun comes dirty from the factory. IT'S GOING TO GET DIRTY THE FIRST TIME YOU FIRE IT ANYWAY. It makes me happy when I see my gun dirty from the factory because I know it was put through it's paces. :lmao:

That said, FN quality is great. My FsN has jammed as all guns have. But I've shot many others and talked to many FsN owners and I know I got one that just needs a little more loving. I CAN tell you that the plastic they use is REALLY dense and hard. I take dremels to Glocks and it takes me a few seconds to grind the frame down. When I was modifying my FsN frame, it took ages just to put a nick in it.
Shoot more, worry less.

FNtacticalNUT

Post by FNtacticalNUT » 07 Dec 2011, 18:42

BLUE
My main problem with getting such a dirty pistol wasn't really an issue of needing to clean it. I was wondering if the gun shop that I had bought it from as new was selling me a used pistol. I was really skeptical at first as I had never bought an FN product from the factory that was fired that much. But I was able to trace down the lifeline of my stainless .45 Tactical and to verify it was indeed a new pistol. I do have some friends in good positions to verify some good INFO. But I do agree that if the factory puts so ammo through my firearm it is great to know that product is ready. Needless to say it has been flawless after finding out what to feed it.
It's like like a baby.
Why feed it something if it is only going to spit it out. Feed it what it wants and it will love you forever
And yes FN quality is great :agree: :clap:

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 07 Dec 2011, 19:53

super-awesome.

:thumb:
Shoot more, worry less.

sabotteur
custom title: Big Dog Outfitters

Post by sabotteur » 08 Dec 2011, 06:21

We've started noticing issues with some of the handguns. Specifically, cracks in the base plates of the magazines on the FNX-40s and scuffed up sites on both the FNX-9 and FNX-40s. Also, we receive handguns all the time that are missing one or more of the backstraps that are suppose to go with the guns. I received one FNX-40 from the distributer where the front site dot had fallen out. I've never had an issue with any of their long guns or shotguns.

FNForever

Post by FNForever » 14 Dec 2011, 19:11

I like the fact that a gun is fired numerous times before being released from the factory. You dont run into assembly related malfunctions in one shot. I think all manufacturers should run at least a mag through a gun before sending it out clean or dirty; that way if they run into an oddity they can correct it on spot instead of you being without a gun for weeks(or months if you are some clown companies)