Saigas

Talk about your favorite longguns here.
VeTTeMaNC486

Saigas

Post by VeTTeMaNC486 » 08 Oct 2011, 17:55

I am thinking about buying a 5.45x39 saiga to play with. A website has them (and .223 or 7.62x39) for $289. That is a freaking smoking deal. Anyways, I am pretty sure I will call them on monday and order one as well as a "Conversion kit." My question is, first do the 5.45 saigas need a bullet guide to work ak74 mags specifically the tapco mags? I assume they do. Second, anyone know a decent looking forend to replace the hidious looking thing it comes with? I do not need a ton of tacticool rails etc, but I don't want it to look like crap. I have seen some clamp on things that let you use ak handguards but I do not like the though of clampimg crap to the barrel.

Anyone have any opinions on these guns? If I had money I would spring for a S12, have been drooling over those since I learned about them.

Visceral_Malice

Re: Saigas

Post by Visceral_Malice » 08 Oct 2011, 18:30

They are really nice guns and a hell of a lot of fun to shoot and convert. Yes, you will need the bullet guide. http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com ... StoreFront they have everything you could need including the bullet guide and the tools etc to install it properly.

Check out the hogue fore end. Its really nice and you can add rails if you like. I'm working on a build and I'm going to set it up like a galil with skeletonized stock and the tapco galil fore end. Also if you join the saiga12 forum, they have pictoral step-by-step instructions on the conversions. It'll take you between 1-2 hours the first time more than likely. My advice is buy some titanium drill bits for drilling out the rivets. It will make your life so much easier. Don't try to dremel the rivets out. I know a lot of tutorials recommend it, but drilling them out is the way to go.

Good luck and have fun.

VeTTeMaNC486

Post by VeTTeMaNC486 » 08 Oct 2011, 19:10

Visceral_Malice wrote:They are really nice guns and a hell of a lot of fun to shoot and convert. Yes, you will need the bullet guide. http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com ... StoreFront they have everything you could need including the bullet guide and the tools etc to install it properly.

Check out the hogue fore end. Its really nice and you can add rails if you like. I'm working on a build and I'm going to set it up like a galil with skeletonized stock and the tapco galil fore end. Also if you join the saiga12 forum, they have pictoral step-by-step instructions on the conversions. It'll take you between 1-2 hours the first time more than likely. My advice is buy some titanium drill bits for drilling out the rivets. It will make your life so much easier. Don't try to dremel the rivets out. I know a lot of tutorials recommend it, but drilling them out is the way to go.

Good luck and have fun.
That is the website I was looking at. debating on what stock to get. I like the wire folding stocks, but could be alot cheaper to get a generic plastic non folding stock :laugh:

Visceral_Malice

Post by Visceral_Malice » 09 Oct 2011, 10:23

If you have a dremel and patience, the internal receiver block makes the folding stocks look nice. You have to chop off the back tang where the normal stock attaches which takes about 20 mins of dremeling. It gives you a huge variety of stock to attach because you get to choose the stock attachment yourself.

Definitely make sure you get the Tromix redone g2 trigger kit. Its worth the extra money because they will fit all saigas and you don't have to worry about cutting anything down to function perfectly.

TheOtherDave

Post by TheOtherDave » 09 Oct 2011, 16:38

VeTTeMaNC486 wrote:I am thinking about buying a 5.45x39 saiga to play with. A website has them (and .223 or 7.62x39) for $289.
Which website is that?

VeTTeMaNC486

Post by VeTTeMaNC486 » 11 Oct 2011, 07:27

The one posted above.

Looks like its not gonna happen. They are in the same state as me so I have to pay sales tax, shipping and ffl fee. Not going to freaking happen. Their phone number is the same area code as mine, figured id just drive out there and pick one up, called them, they said they only do online sales. Screw paying close to 100 dollars extra on a <300 dollar gun especially if its close enough to just run over and pick it up. Might get one from jgsales, 320 shipped.

Visceral_Malice

Post by Visceral_Malice » 11 Oct 2011, 07:52

Classic arms has them for $310 right now. Probably about the best price you'll find.