Springfield 1911 A1 vs FNP 45 Tactical

Discuss the FN Handgun lineup; the High Power, FNP, and FNX line.
DJFIT3

Springfield 1911 A1 vs FNP 45 Tactical

Post by DJFIT3 » 25 Aug 2011, 20:59

Today shooting at the range with 200 grain round nose FMJ loads. I wanted to shoot a little diversity with the Springy 1911 A1 and the FNP 45 Tactical. I am still getting used to the FNP 45 with its high profile sites, but I am THOROUGHLY convinced that the FNP has SUPERIOR ACCURACY to the 1911. I've always been a 1911 fan though. Of course this may vary per shooter, but I think the proof is in these first two picture comparisons. If you can shoot good, this FNP is DEAD NUTS. I've been out of shooting for a while, mostly due to some medical problems, but I'm just starting to get back into things. Not the best here, but I'm tryin to come back. I hope this is a good post for people who are curious about the accuracy on the FNP 45 Tactical.

The first two pictures are of steady standing 5 round groups at 30 feet with the 1911 and FNP. The 1911 was a pretty decent group, HOWEVER, look at what the FNP did. It cut 5 bullets side by side! Oh and there is nothing wrong with the sights from left to right. I think it was just my grip. Consistent though.

The next two pictures are the same thing, steady standing 5 shot groups, but at 25 yards (75 feet). I flinched on one, and it went way left, but the group is still tight on the other 4 for that distance. IMO.

The next two pictures were quick draw drills with 3 shots, with 2 body shots and one head shot at 20 feet. Both of them were pretty much the same. That FNP still hits lower than your dead on aim though because of the high profile sights, and again, I'm still trying to get used to that 12 o clock aiming point.

The next two pictures, all body shots, were at 30 feet with each gun and their full mags. The FNP with 15 rounds, and the 1911 with 7 rounds. AGAIN, 4 of the rounds cut each other on the FNP group in picture 7 just to the left of the number 9 in the bottom left lung.

The last and final 2 pictures, were again both quick draws at 30 feet with both guns and with full mags on each again. With the 1911, I intended 4 body shots and 3 head shots. With the FNP 45, I intended 10 body shots and 5 head shots, but I only landed 2 actual head shots, 1 neck shot, 1 on the upper left lung (your right), and I completely missed one shot and couldnt figure out where the hell it went. You can tell when I tense up or loosen up too much on the FNP because of my 4 low body shots on the last picture in the stomach area. Other than that though, you can tell the guns accuracy when a shooter is accurate because of the groupings in the heart area, dead center.

All in all, I am falling more and more in love with this FNP. Between this, and one day hitting one of those orange, self healing, shooting blocks at 100 yards, 7 times out of 15 rounds just goofing off; I think the FNP is a keeper!

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Re: Springfield 1911 A1 vs FNP 45 Tactical

Post by blueorison » 25 Aug 2011, 21:25

Great report, welcome to the forum :)

I always hear reports on how this gun is more "accurate" than this other gun. My opinion is that with today's tech, most guns are very accurate, and it is the harmony between the shooter and the tool that defines the personal accuracy of the person using that tool. I believe that if both firearms are operating correctly, that they will both be as accurate.

You definitely are more "harmonious" with your FNP. Great shooting!
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

DJFIT3

Post by DJFIT3 » 25 Aug 2011, 21:34

Thanks! I am also new to the FN family, as I just got the FN AR! That's for another post and thread though :). Oh and I should mention, my first time out in the high desert a month back with FNP was a doozy. A badger popped out of a hole only 10 feet away. He got it. I agree with you on the harmony between the tool and shooter as well. These were all single action shots. Thanks for the warm welcome, and here's to many more to come.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 25 Aug 2011, 21:45

Wonderful!!

To note, the FN45Tac has been the softest shooting .45 I've shot to date. The FNAR has a good factory 2 stage trigger with expert accuracy! The first time I peeked at the price-tag I thought it had to be wrong for a FN-built semi-auto .308 with a match, fluted bbl.

Simply amazing value. Same goes for the FNP line; the price-points for the value are very low. Even the most expensive on the line, the TAC45; threaded bbl, pre-milled MRD mount, upgraded sights - they would have cost more than a few hundred more if you purchased an FNP45 and had the work done to it.

Looking forward to your FNAR review :)
Shoot more, worry less.

smpsmp

Post by smpsmp » 25 Aug 2011, 23:26

I'll back blue up on the FNP being the softest shooting .45 out there that I've fired as well. The sights being so high do take some getting used to if you aren't cowitnessing (which in and of itself takes getting used to). DJ, I have noticed as well that tends to be the most accurate .45 for people that I've let shoot compared to a few other major ones out there. The gun is very easy to pick up on for accuracy, and pretty soon 25 will be nothing to you with that gun for shooting a static target. I usually try and challenge myself and go back to 35 and 50 with it (35 is the current max distance to qualify for police in PA, and 50 used to be the max distance). One of these days I'll have to post pics of targets as well, but as you said if you're even half decent at shooting that gun seems to just aim itself (minus my one friend, and there's really no hope for him anyway. He's a trap shooter, and slaps the trigger :laugh: ). Excellent pics, and very well done.

Blue, can I get a legit for DJ?

soap_box

Post by soap_box » 26 Aug 2011, 09:32

IMO the softest shooting .45 is my HK Mark23, however, I also use it as an anchor for my john boat. The FN Tac is a very close second suppressed or unsuppressed. This will be my first year to go hog hunting in west Texas and not bring my beloved Mark 23 and I can't wait to use my FN Tac .45. I 100% agree with Blue about harmony with any weapon and hope to harmonize with some pigs in a few months. Great post DFJ!!!

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 26 Aug 2011, 13:47

smpsmp wrote:I'll back blue up on the FNP being the softest shooting .45 out there that I've fired as well. The sights being so high do take some getting used to if you aren't cowitnessing (which in and of itself takes getting used to). DJ, I have noticed as well that tends to be the most accurate .45 for people that I've let shoot compared to a few other major ones out there. The gun is very easy to pick up on for accuracy, and pretty soon 25 will be nothing to you with that gun for shooting a static target. I usually try and challenge myself and go back to 35 and 50 with it (35 is the current max distance to qualify for police in PA, and 50 used to be the max distance). One of these days I'll have to post pics of targets as well, but as you said if you're even half decent at shooting that gun seems to just aim itself (minus my one friend, and there's really no hope for him anyway. He's a trap shooter, and slaps the trigger :laugh: ). Excellent pics, and very well done.

Blue, can I get a legit for DJ?
His first post was... pretty legit. :thumb:
Shoot more, worry less.

smpsmp

Post by smpsmp » 26 Aug 2011, 16:33

:agree:

FNForever

Post by FNForever » 26 Sep 2011, 15:16

Nice Post. I have yet to shoot a FNP45. But i owned a Springfield Loaded full size and still own my M&P 45. Needless to say my Smith and Wesson was more accurate (for me) than my 1911. Alot of 1911's are hit or miss as far as build tolerances and inherent accuracy even from the big names like Springfield and Kimber. Ive seen a 1911 push 5 shots within 3/4 inch on a ransom rest at 15 yds. Ive also seen and shot 1911s that threw 4 or 5 inch groups at 15 feet. And that was off a sandbag rest. That FNP45 shines like it should...a great design, a great caliber, and a great 45ACP offering for the shooting community.

stevelkinevil

Post by stevelkinevil » 14 Oct 2011, 14:13

Just shot mine today, and seemed very accurate. Just wish I didnt have the issues with FTF and Winchester white box.

FNtacticalNUT
custom title: GOOD ole VIRGINIA

Post by FNtacticalNUT » 05 Dec 2011, 19:39

stevel
Get over the issue of WBB. It is crappie ammo. Why do you keep harping on that.
You have a fine weapon just feed it what it likes.
WBB is expensive and is crappie AMMO.
Those of us who continue to love our 45 tac have learned to climb that mountain and ditch WBB.

Do your self a favor either realize WBB is S**T or sell me your .45 tact if you can't afford to shoot what it want's and not what you want. There is better ammo that is cheaper

DJFIT3

Post by DJFIT3 » 22 Dec 2011, 20:00

FN Tactical NUT, I'd consider selling you my FNP 45 Tactical.

FNtacticalNUT
custom title: GOOD ole VIRGINIA

Post by FNtacticalNUT » 27 Dec 2011, 12:40

DJFIT3
I have 2 already but offer me a sweet deal and lets see.
Send me a PM

DJFIT3

Post by DJFIT3 » 27 Dec 2011, 14:27

Lol, nevermind then. I was going to say $1000 with a brand new Blade Tech Holster.

AlaBill

Post by AlaBill » 29 Dec 2011, 11:51

DJFIT3,

Great report! I've been a 1911 guy almost to the exclusion of everything else but walked into the local tactical gun shop and fell in love with the FNP 45 Tactical. Talk about cool plus 15 round magazines, wow!

blue,
After finding this board I continue to read and learn from your posts. Thanks for your effort on this forum. There seems to be a lot more civility and shared information here compared to the 1911 boards.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 29 Dec 2011, 15:06

AlaBill wrote:DJFIT3,

Great report! I've been a 1911 guy almost to the exclusion of everything else but walked into the local tactical gun shop and fell in love with the FNP 45 Tactical. Talk about cool plus 15 round magazines, wow!

blue,
After finding this board I continue to read and learn from your posts. Thanks for your effort on this forum. There seems to be a lot more civility and shared information here compared to the 1911 boards.
AlaBill;

your comment is much appreciated. Most of the effort I put into is on the members-only forum where there are video tutorials I have posted on the FsN (FiveseveN). This includes POI/POA, ballistics testings on different materials including AR500 steel, chairs, doors, etc. I also have a few videos on the shooting mechanics of the FsN.

That said, if you have any questions about the above or otherwise, feel free to PM me and I will send you the unlisted links to the videos. :cya:

If you're searching for SD ammunition, check Elite Ammunition out, they are the go-to for 5.7x28mm users and the only viable innovators of the round I use for SD or hunting. Jay and Lisa from Elite are always swamped, but if you have any questions I might be able to help. :thumb:
Shoot more, worry less.