DSA SA58 OSW SBR

Discuss the FN lineup of tactical rifles; the FS2000, SCAR, and the venerable FAL.
SeaHawkDriver-B
Location: Embarked on 2 acres of floating Soverign US Territory

DSA SA58 OSW SBR

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 19 Aug 2011, 08:54

Thats a mouthful of acronyms. Didn't know a FAL could be made to look so sexy, and a short-barrel folding-stock 7.62 at that. About $500 less than a SCAR-17, and still an FN product.

http://www.dsarms.com/Mini-SA58-FAL-OSW ... o/SA58OSW/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thoughts? I am thinking about this as an alternative to that Kel Tec RFB I want. The FAL seems to have the upper hand in reliablity.

Zhurdan

Re: DSA SA58 OSW SBR

Post by Zhurdan » 19 Aug 2011, 09:32

Aside from the 7.62x51 losing a lot of poop out of a barrel, that is a sexy gun. I've got an 18" and a 16" FAL and they are a whole lot of fun to shoot. Not sure what the barrel length is on the SCAR sbr, but either way, I'd stick with the 13" FAL at a minimum (vs.11"). The FAL runs better with more gas and the shorter the barrel gets, the less gas you have. They have an adjustable gas block on them but from all the accounts I've heard, they are finicky when you get shorter than 16". Been bothering DSA to sell me a 13" upper, but they won't budge as it is the serialized portion of the gun. I could slap that on the 16" Para lower and rock out with my fireballs out.

Either way, SCAR or FAL, a shorter barrel essentially turns it into a much shorter range weapon, but I guess that's the purpose of an SBR anyways.

Zhurdan

Post by Zhurdan » 19 Aug 2011, 09:33

BTW, DSA is FINALLY selling the 30 round magazines for the FAL. I bought 4 and they are waaaaaay fun.

As an aside, not sure where you are located, but the 18" FAL is going up for sale soon.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Post by Cyberfly » 19 Aug 2011, 10:25

That was going to be my ONLY downside. I've heard a lot of people talk about the availability of FAL mags. If you decide to get it (and I wish I could join you in this venture), be sure to load up on mags while you can!
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

SeaHawkDriver-B

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 19 Aug 2011, 10:32

I'm not interested in cutting-down a SCAR 17 barrel, I think a full-length 7.62 in my arsenal is something I can't live without the the SCAR-H is ideal. I was thinking of this as an SBR addition to the 7.62 SBR/BULLPUP gap I have. Only thing I dont like is that there is no magazine interchangability between the FAL and SCAR.

If only NATO would standardize the 7.62 mags just like they did the 5.56 and we wouldn't have this problem.

I haven't been able to dig up much info on the above DSA FAL. I have no idea how reliable they are. I only own one other DSA product and I can't say anything bad about it, it functions as advertised, although their stuff is a little on the pricey side, and they aren't really interested in talkign to you if you're not a dealer.

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 19 Aug 2011, 10:37

Advantages to the Kel-Tec are that it's ambi, close to same OAL with much better velocity, save $200 on a stamp.

SeaHawkDriver-B

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 19 Aug 2011, 10:45

srt-4_jon wrote:Advantages to the Kel-Tec are that it's ambi, close to same OAL with much better velocity, save $200 on a stamp.
Agreed Jon... a few counter points.

1- The verdict is stil out on the RFB, very limited thus far from what I've seen.
2- FAL is FN, and has been proven the world over as a reliable/durable a platform as there ever was.

Kel Tec vs FN... I'm not sure if its much of a comparison. On name alone I'm going with FN. I'm going to give the RFB a very thorough consideration but it would have to impress the hell out of me to warrant picking it over the SBR above.

MrSlippyFist
Global Moderator
custom title: Sweeper

Post by MrSlippyFist » 19 Aug 2011, 11:13

Problem with Kel-Tec is it's inherent habit of spontaneous diss-assembly.
Embrace the Suck

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 19 Aug 2011, 11:17

Have there been alot? I have seen pictures of a few . I have seen more pictures of Ford Raptors with bent frames Ford is doing nothing about. At least Kel Tec stands behind their stuff

Zhurdan

Post by Zhurdan » 19 Aug 2011, 11:29

Both of my DSA built FAL's run great. I did have to send the Para back to them for repairs once though. the bolt face failed at the 200 round mark. Improper heat treatment was the cause. Repaired and shipped for free in about two weeks.

As far as FAL magazines, they are still plentiful, you just have to dig a little.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 19 Aug 2011, 17:07

Not going to turn this into RFB vs. SCAR. Apples to oranges.

SCAR Heavy = no matter what, FN versus Keltec, FN wins in quality and materials. Barrel especially, no competition.

RFB = amazing gun. Like FsN, one of a kind. Best bullpup trigger, MOA or below.

SCAR will have much faster followup shots. I would go with SCAR if you want a long-lasting gun. It is more-tested through military than RFB.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 19 Aug 2011, 17:25

OP is considering a SBR FAL and a RFB. He said the only SCAR 17 he wants is full size

SeaHawkDriver-B

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 21 Aug 2011, 13:14

Now I just have to figure out how to buy this dang thing. Its a factory SBR, sort-of....My guess is that I'm going to have to go to a dealer and have the Class II/III dealer order it direct from DSA and then buy it off the dealer with a SBR tax stamp approved. Great.. another six month wait. I might as well break down and buy a few 'cans', since the paperwork routing is a 3-ring circus and it pays to do your Form-1's in bunches.

Can anyone reccomend a fantastic 7.62 suppressor to go with this thing? The Gemtec sandstorm has been at the forefront of my christmas list, but its so small as compared to the big-ass AAC it makes me wonder if its effective. I'd like the 7.62 to be able to threat-onto my SCAR-17 as well, ... also thinking about having my Steyr Elite Scout 7.62 threaded to accept a can on the end :D

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 21 Aug 2011, 13:51

It would be a Form 3 to transfer from MFG to dealer. Then a Form 4 from dealer to you. Form 1 is if you made it yourself.

As far as suppressors go, here is a test of a few different ones.
http://www.silencerforum.com/forum/show ... 700-AAC-SD" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lazi

Post by lazi » 23 Aug 2011, 05:51

nice! wish I was in line for one.

a shorty still weighing in at 9lbs. worth it!

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 23 Aug 2011, 06:54

Quality of components in RFB compared to SCAR is the same. There really isn't any difference. The SCAR has not fared well in military testing FWIW. It lost the landfare weapon bid for the USMC and the Squad auto as well. Don't get me wrong, it is cool, but it isn't really anything special.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

SeaHawkDriver-B

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 23 Aug 2011, 07:34

You always hear about the gun that didn't make the so-and-so competition for the army, marines, socom, etc. Seriously, WHO DOES win those stupid competitions, they are numerous, they have different names, they are under ambiguous titles, they hold them frequently, and we still have nothing but a glorified Armalite as the US main battle rifle after 40 years. The only end result out of them is two bullets on a powerpoint presentation given at some BS annual Army conference in Crystal City with doughnuts and refreshments for the horde of GS contractors circling like vultures.

Its just another General officer who rotates in every 30 months and thinks he's going to leave his mark on the procuremnet process by selecting the next M-16.

I digress, the original post in this threat was never meant to draw the SCAR vs RFB discussion into the mix. The question is weather or not you'd want a Shorty FAL like the one from DSA, or an RFB. Pros and Cons... pls leave the SCAR out of it.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 23 Aug 2011, 10:03

Shorty FAL like the one from DSA has my vote.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz