Just starting out

General reloading

Moderator: Grantness

Tachycardia

Just starting out

Post by Tachycardia » 01 May 2011, 10:55

I decided I wanted to try reloading and I wanted to start with the 38 super and 9mm rounds.

I have yet to purchase any equipment as I wanted to pick the brain of the guru's here to see what you all like to use.

Any advice or good websites I could go to to get an idea of what I would need to start out?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Young Guns

Re: Just starting out

Post by Young Guns » 01 May 2011, 14:32

i just started reloading myself. i am only set up for .44 mag right now. i got a dillon 650 and it is awesome. i don't have a lot of time to spend reloading so i wanted a progressive. it is very user friendly and fast. i highly recommend it.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 01 May 2011, 14:43

You set up your dillon 650 for .44 mag.

If that isn't devastation I don't know what is. Awesome.

We need to get you an extreme capacity magazine now.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 01 May 2011, 14:48

If you are just sticking with straight case shells, definitely go progressive. (Some people here use progressives for necked rounds but not me)

I use the Dillon 550 & kinda wish I had gone with the 650 as it has a couple of options that would be nice - powder level sensor is a big one.
http://www.dillonprecision.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

Young Guns

Post by Young Guns » 01 May 2011, 16:53

blueorison wrote:You set up your dillon 650 for .44 mag.

If that isn't devastation I don't know what is. Awesome.

We need to get you an extreme capacity magazine now.

that's all i could afford to get for it after i bought the press! next up is .45 ACP, then .40 S&W.....

Tach, you won't be disappointed in the 650, I guarantee it...

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 01 May 2011, 19:07

Tachycardia wrote:I decided I wanted to try reloading and I wanted to start with the 38 super and 9mm rounds.

I have yet to purchase any equipment as I wanted to pick the brain of the guru's here to see what you all like to use.

Any advice or good websites I could go to to get an idea of what I would need to start out?

Thanks in advance for any help.

LEE has single stage starter kits that rock. Yes down the rounds get a progressive, but when your learning a single stage is great and you will always have a use for it. Plus most of the LEE kits come with LEE loading manual. It's fun read full of all kinds of great information.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

Visceral_Malice

Post by Visceral_Malice » 01 May 2011, 19:34

I've been reloading for about a year now and started with the Lee anniversary kit and as Panzer has stated, its a great beginners setup. Its pretty much everything you need for $100 minus a few tidbits like a caliper and tumbler. I started on that thing with 45 acp and moved on to 223 after a few months and I have made at least 1000 rounds of each with it.

Anyway you go, get yourself a good caliper and If you are end up doing any bottle neck cartridges get some case length gauges/trimmers. You can find all the latest reload data on powder manufacturer's websites also, but you should still get the Lee book as it covers all the basics and how to do everything in detail. You can find good brass for a good price on scharch.com also. You can check out firstclassbrassandbullets.com too as they have very competitive prices, but are really slow at shipping.

Tachycardia

Post by Tachycardia » 03 May 2011, 14:07

Thanks for all the advice guys, I am looking at a Lee setup right now.

I will post some updates as I progress

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 03 May 2011, 14:09

I started with forester and a RCBS buddy press with it. Love em both. For shotguns I have a Ponsness Warren progressive.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

jmz5
Site Admin

Post by jmz5 » 04 May 2011, 04:01

I got a second hand Rock Chucker when I started out, and still use it to load my match ammo.
كاف

VeTTeMaNC486

Post by VeTTeMaNC486 » 20 May 2011, 21:04

My first press was a lee hand press. Its really a neat piece. Hardly use it now but it works good as long as you dont use cases that are pretty large. I got it because initially I had no where to put a bench mounted anything.

Now that I have a bench I use a Classic Turret press. I would recommend this if you have a bench to mount the press to, its not quite a progressive but its still faster than single stage and you can still do single stage with it too if you would like. I like it. :thumb:

Tachycardia

Post by Tachycardia » 27 May 2011, 20:52

Thanks for all the help guys, got everything today and I am planning on sitting down in the morn and starting out with a 9mm.

I feel like a kid on Christmas day

Tachycardia

Post by Tachycardia » 27 May 2011, 23:06

I actually ended up with a Lee turret press and if need be I will look into a Dillon progressive as I gain some skill and knowledge

Tachycardia

Post by Tachycardia » 27 May 2011, 23:37

I just realized the Dillon main store is a mere 25 miles from my house!

I think a field trip is in order

VeTTeMaNC486

Post by VeTTeMaNC486 » 11 Jun 2011, 22:25

Tachycardia wrote:I just realized the Dillon main store is a mere 25 miles from my house!

For sure!
Tachycardia wrote:I actually ended up with a Lee turret press and if need be I will look into a Dillon progressive as I gain some skill and knowledge
How ya like it? I love mine! Although, I have not had alot of time to play with it lately.

Tachycardia

Post by Tachycardia » 12 Sep 2011, 20:26

VeTTeMaNC486 wrote:
Tachycardia wrote:I just realized the Dillon main store is a mere 25 miles from my house!

For sure!
Tachycardia wrote:I actually ended up with a Lee turret press and if need be I will look into a Dillon progressive as I gain some skill and knowledge
How ya like it? I love mine! Although, I have not had alot of time to play with it lately.
It is a good press but I ended up selling it and going with the Hornady L&L AP.
The 1000 free bullets sealed it for me and it is at the same level as the Dillon 650 and some of the features are better IMO.

I have been sick for a bit but I just got my bench made and I am mounting it tonight if all goes well and I am feeling up to it.

Tachycardia

Post by Tachycardia » 12 Sep 2011, 21:04

The worst thing about the L&L was the initial cleaning, but it gives you a good lesson on the workings of the press and Hornady offers some very good videos that saved me more than once.

Tachycardia

Post by Tachycardia » 13 Sep 2011, 21:44

Phase one is complete, got a bench started in the new garage and got the press mounted.

After I clean up the parts and build a few shelves I can get the rest bolted on, hopefully with a case feeder.

I have all my dies and what not coming in on Thursday and I want to start cranking out rounds on Friday.