Scope Question

Talk about your favorite longguns here.
57js

Scope Question

Post by 57js » 26 May 2011, 19:41

I currently have an AR-15 type lower receiver, and tomorrow I should have an AR57 upper arrive. The last part I need is a scope. I am looking at a Vortex or Leupold. Once I make a decision, I will need to attach the scope to the AR57. I never had a rifle before so what is the best way to attach the scope to the picatinny rail of the AR57? I gather I need to get an accessory kit with rings, but do those rings attach to the rail?

I know Leupold is one of the better manufacturers out there. Their hunting scopes are significantly cheaper than their Mark 4 and other scopes. Is there an issue using a hunting scope instead of one of a tactical scope even though I don't intend to hunt? I want a good product, but don't want to go crazy with the price so those $1000+ Leupolds are out of the running.

Thanks.

MrSlippyFist
Global Moderator
custom title: Sweeper

Re: Scope Question

Post by MrSlippyFist » 26 May 2011, 20:48

Are you set on a scope? A red-dot or holographic sight would be better suited for this upper. If you want a scoped rifle you might want to hold out for the Savage. And yes, you will need rings to mount the scope, but you will have difficulty mounting it in a fashion that will allow proper magazine changes. That is, unless you get some REALLY tall rings. Such as these:

http://www.primaryarms.com/product.sc;j ... uctId=1182" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Embrace the Suck

CenCalSplicer

Post by CenCalSplicer » 27 May 2011, 01:23

I currently have a Leupold mark AR scope on my AR and am using 3/4 height XTR Xtreme Tactical Rings by Burris for my 1" scope. They work really well for my needs and the price was right. I even bought a set for my Vortex Viper PST that sits on my .308. Just my 2 cents

57js

Post by 57js » 27 May 2011, 07:11

MrSlippyFist wrote:Are you set on a scope? A red-dot or holographic sight would be better suited for this upper. If you want a scoped rifle you might want to hold out for the Savage. And yes, you will need rings to mount the scope, but you will have difficulty mounting it in a fashion that will allow proper magazine changes. That is, unless you get some REALLY tall rings. Such as these:

http://www.primaryarms.com/product.sc;j ... uctId=1182" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A holographic sight? I was thinking of getting a red-dot for a .22 upper (should I ever get one since it seems to be back ordered), but some people recommended a scope for the AR57. What benefits would the holographic sight bring?

I heard about the magazine/scope issues with the AR57.

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 27 May 2011, 07:54

57js wrote:
MrSlippyFist wrote:Are you set on a scope? A red-dot or holographic sight would be better suited for this upper. If you want a scoped rifle you might want to hold out for the Savage. And yes, you will need rings to mount the scope, but you will have difficulty mounting it in a fashion that will allow proper magazine changes. That is, unless you get some REALLY tall rings. Such as these:

A holographic sight? I was thinking of getting a red-dot for a .22 upper (should I ever get one since it seems to be back ordered), but some people recommended a scope for the AR57. What benefits would the holographic sight bring?

I don't want to say a scope shouldn't be put on the AR57, but in all honesty, that isn't a precision shooting rifle at more than a hundred yards. And it sounds like it is more of a SD or plinking gun, so I think a holographic sight is plenty. Get an EOTech.

As far as which scope, any Leupold VX will be durable. Plus they have excellent warrantees. The Vortex is a good optic too for the money. But I just think that a scope would be more than what you would need for an AR57. My two cents.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

Bones
custom title: Bones

Post by Bones » 27 May 2011, 08:43

flyingirish04 wrote:
57js wrote:

I don't want to say a scope shouldn't be put on the AR57, but in all honesty, that isn't a precision shooting rifle at more than a hundred yards. And it sounds like it is more of a SD or plinking gun, so I think a holographic sight is plenty. Get an EOTech.

As far as which scope, any Leupold VX will be durable. Plus they have excellent warrantees. The Vortex is a good optic too for the money. But I just think that a scope would be more than what you would need for an AR57. My two cents.
It looks as if Irish and I agree.... :thumb: Eotech :thumb:

jgreenberg01
Platinum Member
custom title: FNP-45 Cylon

Post by jgreenberg01 » 27 May 2011, 09:48

FWIW, I have an AR57 which I had originally put a 4x32 ACOG on. Irish & Bones are correct, you are not going to be shooting it more than 100 yards so a holographic sight makes more sense. I replaced the ACOG with an EOTech XPS2-2 and i couldn't be happier: both eyes open when shooting and it is a tack driver to 50 yards. 100 yard shots (without magnification) will still be accurate enough to give the BGs a less-than-excellent day!

If you want to see a video review of it look here:

http://fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=10776
0100001101101111011011010110010100100000011000010110111001100100001000000111010001100001011010110110010100100000011010010111010000101110

57js

Post by 57js » 27 May 2011, 09:48

flyingirish04 wrote:
57js wrote:

I was thinking of getting an EOTech red dot for a .22 upper receiver at some point since I doubt that the .22 will be as accurate as the AR57. But I will look into the holographic sight and EOTech before I buy anything.

I have my AR57 together now, just need a scope to finish her off so I can shoot it.

MrSlippyFist
Global Moderator
custom title: Sweeper

Post by MrSlippyFist » 27 May 2011, 09:50

57js wrote:I have my AR57 together now, just need a scope to finish her off so I can shoot it.
I recommend getting some iron sights on that rifle before deciding on anything else.
Embrace the Suck

57js

Post by 57js » 27 May 2011, 10:05

jgreenberg01 wrote:FWIW, I have an AR57 which I had originally put a 4x32 ACOG on. Irish & Bones are correct, you are not going to be shooting it more than 100 yards so a holographic sight makes more sense. I replaced the ACOG with an EOTech XPS2-2 and i couldn't be happier: both eyes open when shooting and it is a tack driver to 50 yards. 100 yard shots (without magnification) will still be accurate enough to give the BGs a less-than-excellent day!

If you want to see a video review of it look here:

http://fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=10776
Really nice review. I will check out the EOTech and add that to the list of items to consider.

Thank you.

SHEEPDOG
Gold Member
custom title: A.K.A. DW

Post by SHEEPDOG » 27 May 2011, 11:55

I'll add one more, I agree with Irish and Bones. EOtech! I chuckle when I see huge scopes on AR's.

57js

Post by 57js » 28 May 2011, 12:02

Just to let everyone know, I picked up the Vortex SPARC red dot unit today. Other than all your viewpoints, I also had a tough time with the magazine clearing the scope mounts. I also have a Leupold unit which I might just stick on one of the auction websites. I got a good deal on it so either I will keep it to put on the .223 that may come in the future or auction it off to help pay the SPARC and other goodies I got for the rifle.

I picked up a sling and a quick release mount for it. I watched jgreenberg's youtube link, and will probably get the vertical grip next. I was going to get backup sights, but the store was out of the polymer black ones, and I didn't think it would look good with black rear sights, and tan front sights.

Thanks to everyone for their helpful advice.

Bones
custom title: Bones

Post by Bones » 28 May 2011, 16:51

:thumb: The thing about the advise you get here is that most of us are or have been in the "industry" (around the block or box) and have had first had experience with the tools in real worst case conditions. On the flip side others outside the "industry" also have really good advise from making mistakes in the past. Its always nice to be able to help someone out and save them some cash from making an ill informed decision from seeing it on TV or from the guy behind the counter tying to push something you really dont need. Lord knows I have made some bad choices in the past and I am sure I will again :facepalm: :laugh: Rest assured these are a great bunch of guys & gals and always want to help :thumb:

Beecher Tool

Post by Beecher Tool » 26 May 2013, 17:27

Much as I try not to ressurect "dead" threads...in this case it seems better than going ahead and rehashing a topic. I have just finished a build with an AR57 upper....and not the question of sights/optics rears its head. As background, I have an Elcan Specter DR2 1.5-6X on my SCAR 17H, a combination of Aimpoint 3X Magnifier and Comp. 4S on my SCAR 16, an almost new Vortex Viper PST 1-4 sitting in the safe, together with a the super high Badger Ordinance Rings....I spent the better part of an afternoon try ing to figure a way to mount the Viper on the AR57 and have concluded that it is a no unless I am willing to go to the 9PM position on the left rail....there is no reasonable way to get the magazine to clear. I took it to the range yesterday with a Burris Fastfire III that I "borrowed" off of my Benelli M3.....me thinks the Fastfire is going back on the Benelli...which leave me contemplating. My own history is that I have had nothing but BAD LUCK with Eotechs....over a dozen years I have had three die on me. SO the question becomes Aimpoint Micro T......or somethig else out there I haven't seen yet......suggestions appreciated.

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 27 May 2013, 09:58

I would say you have had bad luck. SO much that I would blame operator error. I used EOTechs for years in the military and personally and even had one that went through an explosion, and it still worked, with cracked glass and all. None of the aimpoints that got blasted held up.

That being said, for the OPs usage, I don't think that matters. Both would be good, the Aimpoint isn't as fast and as natural to use, but still a good choice. EOTech would be my choice.

But to say EOTech died 3 times, well, sorry, don't believe it, unless you were trying to make them die. You sure you aren't using a bit of hyperbole?

Beecher Tool

Post by Beecher Tool » 27 May 2013, 10:10

You are entitled to your opinion...and I take it for what it's worth...and won't elaborate...and ask yourself would I invent it. I don't owe you a rat's arse...and no won't produce documentation....gonna stop at that...wouldn't use an Eotech at this point if it was given to me. As for service experience....I won't take the bait and engage in THAT contest..thanks.

Respectfully to the forum....I am closed out on this thread....I will pursue the issue in an alternate space.

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 27 May 2013, 13:06

It isn't an opinion. It's a educated observation. It isn't bait either. It is a fair challenge to what I observe to be an inane assertion.

And I don't expect documentation.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday weekend though!

Beecher Tool

Post by Beecher Tool » 27 May 2013, 13:11

Very simple reply...you are lacking in tact, education, skills and brains.....last of my response to your inappropriate comment......and no if someone offered me an Eotech I would gladly spit at them.

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 27 May 2013, 13:14

So much for closing out on this thread. And at no time did I personally attack you. I challenged your argument.

Notice I don't attack you now, even after you have attacked me.

Again, enjoy the rest of your Memorial Day weekend.

Beecher Tool

Post by Beecher Tool » 27 May 2013, 13:16

Wish your PM stood the same test..

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 27 May 2013, 13:20

:laugh:

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 27 May 2013, 13:22

So this is what you meant by this:
Beecher Tool wrote:Respectfully to the forum....I am closed out on this thread....I will pursue the issue in an alternate space.

:facepalm:

Beecher Tool

Post by Beecher Tool » 27 May 2013, 13:25

In 1996, EOTech debuted its holographic sighting technology to be used in sport shooting and hunting applications to increase target accuracy and speed of target acquisition. ...first public access to Eotech ...and the citation is http://www.eotech-inc.com/company-history" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 27 May 2013, 13:26

Happy Memorial Day to me! Oh and I think you told me what you truly believe:
Beecher Tool wrote:I stand by my words....and what I posted was factual ..you don't like it shove it...nuff said...without my telling you what I truly believe.. I don't have a shard of respect for your experience, service or you personally as a human being...guess what...straight back up and in your face.

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 27 May 2013, 13:28

Beecher Tool wrote:In 1996, EOTech debuted its holographic sighting technology to be used in sport shooting and hunting applications to increase target accuracy and speed of target acquisition. ...first public access to Eotech ...and the citation is http://www.eotech-inc.com/company-history" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You didn't read it did you:

After winning the "Optic of the Year Award" from the Shooting Industry Academy of Excellence, EOTech later introduced their military and law enforcement HWS in 2001. Since then, the HWS has been standardized by US Special Operations Command (SOCOM), FBI, DEA, State Department, US Border Patrol, Immigration & Customs Enforcement (ICE), NYPD, LAPD, Texas State Police, and many international special operations forces, just to name a few.

Sounds like something to spit about.

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 27 May 2013, 13:30

Either way,

EOTech is an excellent HWS, which frankly can't be beat in its class. I hope the OP enjoys using his.

Troll feeding notwithstanding.

Beecher Tool

Post by Beecher Tool » 27 May 2013, 14:01

Stand by comment.....Aimpoint is a better tool than Eotech will ever be...have a pair of 552 paperweights to prove it..

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 27 May 2013, 14:01

Ok. Send them to me. I will get them fixed for sure. :D

jmz5
Site Admin

Post by jmz5 » 28 May 2013, 03:45

Beacher, this is your second warning. 3 and you are out.
كاف

Beecher Tool

Post by Beecher Tool » 28 May 2013, 04:14

Noted...unfortunately.....I ought have put this on ignore earlier.....