Five seven for home defense?

Discuss the FN Five-seveN line of pistols and accessories.

Moderator: blueorison

eagleshotz
custom title: You like that

Five seven for home defense?

Post by eagleshotz » 24 Aug 2008, 07:08

Check out what some people had to say about the five seven :ponder:

Is the five seven worth buying for retail price in your opinion? (NOT wanting this as a carry weapon.) im finding them around $800-1000 range. any suggestions?
3 weeks ago
Report Abuse
by Gabe Member since:
July 03, 2008
Total points:
304 (Level 2)
Add to My Contacts

Block User

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
I bought the FNH Five-Seven a few months ago. After looking at the stats and watching a few youtube videos of it, I was sold. I had been in the market for a pistol for home protection for a while.

It is made by the same company that makes most of the small arms for the US military, so I felt that I was getting good quality. The magazine capacity is wonderful, and it handles beautiful - follow up shots are great. Everything is right where you want it with very little extra to get in the way.

After buying it, I have come to really hate the cartriage. The idea was the bridge the gap between the .223 and the 9 mm. It seems very underpowered - even by handgun standards. Also, the selection of bullets seem very, very limited. We cannot buy all the ones listed on thier website. Another down side is that it costs about $10 to fill up the magazine; 250 rd are selling for a little over $100.

Due to the cost of the ammunition, I have not been able to get in the practice that I want. An hour and a half at the range will set me back three figures. Simply put, it costs too much to shoot. If you are able/happy to have the added expense and are not going to use it for personal protection, you should get one. They really are fun to shoot.
3 weeks ago
67% 2 Votes
Report Abuse Is this what you are searching for?Rating: Good Answer Rating: Bad Answer
0 stars - mark this as Interesting! Who found this interesting?
Be the first person to mark this question as interesting!
Email
Comment (0)
Save
Add to private Watchlist
Save to My Web

Add to My Yahoo!

Add to Del.icio.us

RSS
There are currently no comments for this question.

* You must be logged into Answers to add comments. Sign in or Register.

Other Answers (5) Show: All Answers Oldest to Newest Newest to Oldest Rated Highest to Lowest
by DJ Member since:
June 13, 2006
Total points:
29891 (Level 7)
Add to My Contacts

Block User

If it's your first gun or only gun, it's a terrible choice. Learn from Gabe!

The 5.7 is interesting, but it's a curiosity or novelty that should only be purchased for the person who has a lot of money to invest in rare guns or has an interest in reloading the round for experimentation.

Worth it? Yes, that's the price and they are selling them at that. A good choice for the average gun owner, no way.
3 weeks ago
0% 0 Votes
1 Rating: Good Answer 0 Rating: Bad Answer Report Abuse
by H Member since:
June 27, 2006
Total points:
21392 (Level 6)
Add to My Contacts

Block User

I bought an FN-Hestal 5.7mm a couple of years ago. In fact, I just threw the receipt away this morning. It was just under $1,200 US dollars so $800 to $1,000 is certainly cheaper than what I paid for mine. Was it worth? I don't know. I still don't know what to use it for. Price of ammo finally came down. Originally I paid $59.95 for a box of fifty. It is well made, accurate enough and it hasn't jammed. It certainly is high capacity and it has no recoil impulse to speak of but it is loud (say as loud as my Glock Model 26 with service ammo). When I bought it I just didn't want another one out in the street that could possibly defeat body armor. At least that was what I told myself to justify the high asking price. It is fun to shoot and I'm glad I got it but I can't find any practical application for it.

H

3 weeks ago
0% 0 Votes
0 Rating: Good Answer 0 Rating: Bad Answer Report Abuse
by Kurdis P Member since:
April 16, 2008
Total points:
907 (Level 2)
Add to My Contacts

Block User

I've read that the cartridge is basically a .22 magnum and not all that great. I can also confirm what Gabe says that the 5.7 ammo is really expensive and not exactly easy to find.

It's a cool curio and I'd add one to my collection if I ever hit the lotto but as a range toy or an HD gun I think there are better choices out there.
3 weeks ago
0% 0 Votes
1 Rating: Good Answer 1 Rating: Bad Answer Report Abuse
by david m Member since:
December 19, 2006
Total points:
6505 (Level 5)
Add to My Contacts

Block User

The 5.7 is best used as a target pistol (plastic tip rounds) or a miltary weapon (firing AP rounds). The round is very deadly but like the old 7.62/7.63 rounds, 5.7 works best in rapid fire (preferably in the P90 carbine-it's original home).
3 weeks ago
0% 0 Votes
0 Rating: Good Answer 0 Rating: Bad Answer Report Abuse
by aznsurfe... Member since:
May 14, 2008
Total points:
2108 (Level 3)
Add to My Contacts

Block User

In my opinion, the only thing the 5.7 is good for is target shooting. Self-defense, you'd be better off buying a 9mm.
3 weeks ago
33% 1 Vote
1 Rating: Good Answer 1 Rating: Bad Answer Report Abuse

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Re: Five seven for home defense?

Post by Cyberfly » 24 Aug 2008, 07:16

I'd almost bet money that none of those people actually own one. They either talked to a guy or heard of someone who has one. Either that, or its a very OLD posting.
There's just not that many people that I've run across that hasn't fallen totally in love with the weapon after they bought it and damn few people are going to drop a grand or more on something then talk trash about it and compare it to a .22 magnum.
Nope. My guess is, none of them actually own a FiveseveN or they'd have a friggin clue what they were talking about. And ammo prices aren't nearly that bad anymore, so I'm guessing it's pretty old posts.
Just my 2 cents. And I probably owe you a nickel change.
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

Wollychop

Post by Wollychop » 24 Aug 2008, 08:31

Yeah I think Panzer has it. If you look at prices for, as an example, 45 ACP or 9mm, and remember that it is no problem to pick up 5.7x28 for 19-22 dollars per box of 50, their arguments are a bit silly.

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseP ... =653***691***" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseP ... =653***691***" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for the mystical "stopping power" (you know -- you shoot someone in the toe and they keel over dead, or you hit them in the stomach and they fly back fifty feet doing summersaults the whole way) I have killed plenty of game with the cartridge, to include a whitetail (ss197 headshot @ about 50 yards). The 197 did phenominal damage to the head, nearly the entire crown wsa shattered off and the brain was absolutely pulp. What's that really important thing? Oh, shot placement. Too many knuckleheads, I think, give themselves a false sense of security and confidence based soley on the diameter of their round.

I've got a small stockpile of ss197, 195, superraptor, varmintor and protector. I actually have no problem at all with the 197 and 195, just remembering what they are for. The 197 is a 40 grain bullet with a ballistic tip. As another has shown from personal experience, that particular round may be limited if you may have a need to engage targets or attempt to suppress through limited cover, like walls or doors. But it messes up a fleshy pretty nice. Are they all they could be? No, but they do perform. Just like EAs rounds have niches that they fill. I've taken everything from old roasts to refrigerators to sheets of aluminum and glass and I have no doubt that I would be better off with a 5.7 than a 9mm, like the last poster said, keeping in mind what ammo I am carrying. If I could carry one for my job I would in a heartbeat.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 24 Aug 2008, 09:24

It seems very underpowered - even by handgun standards.

What a load of pure BS. Who ever made that statement should not be allowed to own a firearm.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

Grantness

Post by Grantness » 24 Aug 2008, 10:41

I dont think there is a firearm more hated on (on the internets) than the FsN. Its amazing how often u hear people argue how it is nothing more than a .22 mag and will only kill if it happens to hit a vital organ. Of course, these people neglect to point out that our military happens to utilize the same size bullet in conflicts all across the world. I once read a post where some idiot, when confronted with this fact, tried to say that NATO adopted 5.56 because it is more humane and leaves cleaner wounds! If they lose that argument, then they just start talking about how the 5.7 doesnt have the muzzle energy and stopping power of the 9mm. Well, maybe u could say that, but the 9mm doesnt tranfer all of its energy if it exits the target, the 5.7 almost always tranfers all of its energy (plus tumbling action opens up a larger wound cavity). My biggest problem with internets is that u cant reach out at slap people when u really want to. :wall:
Last edited by Grantness on 24 Aug 2008, 11:03, edited 2 times in total.

jmz5
Site Admin

Post by jmz5 » 24 Aug 2008, 10:45

Well, I can say that the FiveseveN isn't my first choice has a home defense weapon either.
كاف

Wollychop

Post by Wollychop » 24 Aug 2008, 11:16

1st choice: 12 guage.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 24 Aug 2008, 12:21

My first choice is a carriage mounted 88mm
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

FN ADDICT

Post by FN ADDICT » 24 Aug 2008, 12:44

Well this just proves that you can't argue with stupid people, because they bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. I have to agree with cyber, sounds like a lot of hearsay. This looks like a Yahoo answers question, which is sad because a lot of people will read this and think its accurate. :cry:

Esteves
Wiki Moderator
custom title: Shhh!

Post by Esteves » 24 Aug 2008, 12:55

FN ADDICT wrote:This looks like a Yahoo answers question, which is sad because a lot of people will read this and think its accurate. :cry:
It is: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 133AA8dnne" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
--
S
© 2004-2019 Esteves

Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative,
and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want
people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

jmz5
Site Admin

Post by jmz5 » 24 Aug 2008, 16:22

I normally go through and give all of those bad answers thumbs down.
كاف

Wollychop

Post by Wollychop » 24 Aug 2008, 16:25

Yahoo answers is even worse than Wikipedia. Best to totally ignore both.

EARS

Post by EARS » 24 Aug 2008, 16:36

The only negatives with this gun (either USG or PS90) are those placed on it by New York State. I've carried nothing since (except KelTec 380 as backup). Under powered?? Stand in front me and let me shoot you. See if you have anything to say. Oh, I forgot, you won't be able to say anything. Idiots that's all they are.

H2oStone

Post by H2oStone » 24 Aug 2008, 19:39

I live in flordia where all the walls are made of sheetrock. My bedroom is on the end of the house. Anything i shoot is goimng to go completly thru my house. I use to use a 45ASP but was frightened of killing a family member if they heard a noise and sat up in bed. That is why i got the 57 i dont think it will go from one end of the house to the other. Pat :clap:

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 24 Aug 2008, 20:09

Wasn't someone planning on doing a test like that? Old forum of course but I think it was something about setting up a series of sheet rock & insulation just to see how far it would go. I only have the 197s right now, no EA's yet, but would still be interesting.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

FN ADDICT

Post by FN ADDICT » 24 Aug 2008, 20:21

I am not sure where I had heard or read it, maybe on the forum. Tests were done with bullet penetration through, I believe, three thicknesses of sheet rock. They were also spaced, I think, 10 feet apart. The 57 only made it through two pieces. The rest of the rounds (other caliber), made it through more. I believe I read it somewhere that was trying to denounce the 57. I am sure more of these tests have been done.

You know what, I was wrong, I just read it in the May 2008, Tatical weapons review, on the FNHUSA website for the FsN. The walls were further apart but I remebered the article. Maybe that would help.

ArtosDracon
Banned

Post by ArtosDracon » 24 Aug 2008, 23:27

I can say for darn sure that the FsN with SS197 will carry lethal force through two pieces of drywall spaced about 3.5" apart. I'm sure that SS195 or better round would not have an issue doing the same. #1 for home defense, a shotgun, whatever you like.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 25 Aug 2008, 01:35

FN FAN has a cows head we are going to shoot. If I have the time I am going to make a section of code studded wall with sheet rock and shoot it also.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

navon

Post by navon » 02 Sep 2008, 15:30

Grantness wrote:My biggest problem with internets is that u cant reach out at slap people when u really want to. :wall:
LMFAO!!! :lmao: You've just put into words what I've felt many times over. Kudos!

Reverend Herc
Platinum Member
custom title: Outstanding!!!

Post by Reverend Herc » 02 Sep 2008, 15:38

If I had a nickle for every idiot that posted, BS on any forum I would be a billionaire. They would be lucky if they just got slapped...

murphies_finest
custom title: King Thread Killer.

Post by murphies_finest » 04 Sep 2008, 04:15

I look at it like this "anything in a pinch" right. but would I use my Ps90 as a home defence probably not. I have my 20 gauge for the house.
Keep Working Millions on Welfare Depend on YOU.

harm152

Post by harm152 » 08 Sep 2008, 06:33

I have one and I would not feel under gunned using it for HD. However, I think w/o a suppressor, you'd get some permanent hearing loss pretty quick inside a house.... Not that it would be a concern at that point, but good luck calling the cops or communicating with others in the house after shots have been fired.... Of course, I do not claim to actually have dB ratings on the 5.7, just my own observations from the range.

I have seen a few posts on the cost of 5.7 ammo. It is up there for plinking ammo. However, if you look at the cost of 9mm XTPs / Golden Sabers / Win Ranger etc, the cost per 20 is usually about $15-18. So, $19-22 for 50 5.7 rounds that is "defensive" quality ammo isn't bad. At least you are practicing with your carry load for a -lot less than if you were shooting 9mm, 40 or 45 carry ammo for practice....

prc-104

Post by prc-104 » 14 Sep 2008, 08:42

Gosh I really like this forum and the main group of posters on it.

I hear so much cr*p about the poor poor pitiful 5.7 in so many places and all the BS about it by folks that never shot one, don't own one and probably can't afford one.

God, with all the nerds out there running their mouths with no regard to reality, I feel like I'm surrounded by politicians.

BTW, I don't remember who did the above post about owning a 5.7 instead of a .45 so it wouldn't go thru the drywall of his house. I think he got it backwards. I don't know about his 5.7 but mine will clean out a couple of rooms of drywall. Generally Colt .45 auto won't. And I agree with the shotgun post. Shotguns are two things. Intimidating and darned effective for close in work.

Thanks for letting me vent and BTW, anybody who doesn't like their 57 or ps90 can feel free to pass it along to me.
/John