Wolf- %$# Russians

General reloading

Moderator: Grantness

fatherfoof

Wolf- %$# Russians

Post by fatherfoof » 02 Mar 2011, 01:33

Not Jay and Lisa- we'd never trade in our den mother, although in Jay's case... Anyway, I always try to play American-Winchester, Remington, Federal... But, about a year and a half back things were short on supply so I put a box of 1,000 primers on the shelf in large and small pistol each. It has always been climate controlled, out of sunlight, and I simply don't have much in the way of problems. In 9mm, 5.7, 45ACP the Wolf primers have beautiful pin marks, but every 4th or 5th round failed to go bang. Anybody else have this trouble, or did I simply get a couple of boxes that dried out after a tropical storm? I'll never use Wolf again--now I need to pull them all down. As an ex-cop it's hard enough to act like a clergyman and not cuss--this is more than my tongue can control. They breed with their canine mothers...
Please PM Me for LE/Military Access

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Re: Wolf- %$# Russians

Post by blueorison » 02 Mar 2011, 01:45

Wolf primers, in rounds I've shot in the past, and recently from other competitors have had failures. Just my personal experience. This was for handguns.

Come to think of it, I remember an AR shooting wolf primers wherein a shot didn't go off and it had a good hit. Some don't seem to have trouble with Wolf primers, though.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

jmz5
Site Admin

Post by jmz5 » 02 Mar 2011, 04:21

Most people either love or hate wolf primers, I have read that they don't like ball powder, and since that's what I mostly shoot, I have never tried them.
كاف

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 02 Mar 2011, 04:44

Wolf had a recall of small pistol primers last year. I bought over 10k of wolf primers and I have had no problems with them. They were all from a recent batch though

Bones
custom title: Bones

Post by Bones » 02 Mar 2011, 04:50

I have used them with no problems. I guess anything could go bad depending on how they are stored. I still use Federal and CCI but did use a few k of Wolf primers with no issues in 556

SeaHawkDriver-B
Location: Embarked on 2 acres of floating Soverign US Territory

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 02 Mar 2011, 16:36

I've had some bad experiences with Wolf primers.

SpaceCoyote

Post by SpaceCoyote » 16 Mar 2011, 19:49

I havn't tried the "wolf" primers but I got some Russian made PMC primers that do the same thing.

Probably the same source but imported under diff brands.

I've often wondered if the Russians & Chinese don't just sell us their factory seconds.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 16 Mar 2011, 20:11

Hell NO! PMC primers are NOT wolf primers. Premium Metallic CRAP.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

ddouglas
Gold Member

Post by ddouglas » 16 Mar 2011, 20:23

I used 1K Wolf LP primers for .44Mag and .45LC loads and I've had no misfires, and fairly consistent speeds for all the loads I measured. I bought them at a time when other brands weren't available and I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

SpaceCoyote

Post by SpaceCoyote » 17 Mar 2011, 05:20

panzermk2 wrote:Hell NO! PMC primers are NOT wolf primers. Premium Metallic CRAP.
Okay. But they are both Russian made and both apparently suck.

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 17 Mar 2011, 08:34

They dont suck. There are bound to be some bad batches but overall, I have been pleased. I have loaded up 3800 (counted old primer trays) and have had only one primer fail. But that one primer fired on the second hit. They work perfect for practice ammo.

romer522

Post by romer522 » 17 Mar 2011, 09:58

Confused how we have a Wolf bashing thread on our forum, when most of the match shooters have replaced Federal Gold Medals with Wolf and seen improvements.

Maybe Wolf Pistol = hit or miss and rifle = amazing? :ponder:

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 17 Mar 2011, 10:50

I have never had issues, actually nothing but great performance from Wolf LP Primers.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

SpaceCoyote

Post by SpaceCoyote » 17 Mar 2011, 16:47

Funny to see everyone rushing to the defense of wolf.

As I said before, I have not personally used them so I shouldn't have just come out and brashly said "they suck".

It should also be noted that even if you store primers properly, you never know how they were handled before you buy them. I've wondered if that wasn't the problem with the Russian made PMC I ran into.

romer522

Post by romer522 » 17 Mar 2011, 17:05

SpaceCoyote wrote:Funny to see everyone rushing to the defense of wolf.

As I said before, I have not personally used them so I shouldn't have just come out and brashly said "they suck".

It should also be noted that even if you store primers properly, you never know how they were handled before you buy them. I've wondered if that wasn't the problem with the Russian made PMC I ran into.

Not really rushing to their defense, just noticing a anomaly to the pattern that I've seen with Wolf primers. Or is it just funny to see a Wolf product that is actually good? :p

I would venture a guess that over the past 2 years, more Wolf primers have been sold for reloading than any other 2 manufacturers put together, if there's only been a few complaints out there and what looks to be a one or two bad batches I think it's more than stellar performance.

dirtsmith

Post by dirtsmith » 11 Dec 2011, 20:33

When I first tried Woof! primers I had similar (bad) experiences. I swore I'd never use them again, then I read something somewhere about them being somewhat sensitive to seating pressure and had to be seated FIRMLY. I tried paying more attention to that and wonder of wonders, had not a single misfire or hangfire since.

dirtsmith