Best gun for Ankle-Carry CCW??

General discussion.
SeaHawkDriver-B
Location: Embarked on 2 acres of floating Soverign US Territory

Best gun for Ankle-Carry CCW??

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 01 Aug 2010, 16:22

My Glock 29 is a fantastic belt-carry weapon, but here in Florida we wear such light clothing, that I rarely carry concealed unless fully dressed.

Been thinking about supplementing with an Ankle holster when wearing long pants. What are your favorite guns for carrying on the ankle? It would havey to be VERY small, and I dont like the idea of a .380 auto... I would prefer a 9mm if in Auto, and a .357mg/.38spl if a revolver.

romer522

Re: Best gun for Ankle-Carry CCW??

Post by romer522 » 01 Aug 2010, 17:07

Everybody I talk to always shuns ankle carry because its hard to get to etc but its better than nothing IMHO. To me it all comes down to how big your ankles/calves are as far as it being viable. I have an ankle holster for my Kahr PM9 and while it fits and is comfy I have to wear pretty baggy pants to get it to disappear because of my legs not being twiggy. Then again a bit of printing on an ankle holster isn't too big of a deal because nobody looks down there, the biggest issue is getting pants the perfect length that still cover it up when your sitting down.

Either way the PM9 seems like the gun your after if you don't want a tiny .380 as those were pretty much my criteria as well.

SHEEPDOG
Gold Member
custom title: A.K.A. DW

Post by SHEEPDOG » 01 Aug 2010, 17:25

None.
I think I have tried everyone made. Expensive, cheap you name it. They are uncomfortable and hard to get to. About as discreet as an ankle monitor.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 01 Aug 2010, 18:14

SeaHawkDriver-B wrote:My Glock 29 is a fantastic belt-carry weapon, but here in Florida we wear such light clothing, that I rarely carry concealed unless fully dressed.

Been thinking about supplementing with an Ankle holster when wearing long pants. What are your favorite guns for carrying on the ankle? It would havey to be VERY small, and I dont like the idea of a .380 auto... I would prefer a 9mm if in Auto, and a .357mg/.38spl if a revolver.

Alloy framed 44spl. snubbie.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

sabotteur
custom title: Big Dog Outfitters

Post by sabotteur » 02 Aug 2010, 04:01

Get a little .380 like a kel tec or ruger LCP. You can either put it in your pocket, or if you wear boots, you can usually fit it right in along the inside of your boot.

gotants

Post by gotants » 02 Aug 2010, 05:37

Beans I live here in south floriduh, it's an issue I deal with daily.

I have the Sig P239 in .40 S&W and carry it IWB. I can wear shorts, and even a t-shirt with it. The only downside is weight, but after a while I got used to it. I carry over my right front hip, 1:30-2:00 position. A sweep on my left hand and it's an easy draw.

How easy is it to get to an ankle holster? I'm assuming you don't need it as a duty BUG, hence why the need to conceal it.

In the winter time, and either flannel shirt, or jacket, I carry my 5/7 with a paddle holster, concealed.
Last edited by gotants on 02 Aug 2010, 08:41, edited 1 time in total.

Ariac

Post by Ariac » 02 Aug 2010, 06:30

I use a Polish P-64 that i changed the trigger spring with a wolff. Works great and the Makarov has decent power in the ranges I would use it for. Plus I got it on sale for $200<.

EARS

Post by EARS » 02 Aug 2010, 16:04

I would go for the KelTec .380 also. I use as a back-up while in uniform and also have a "wallet holster" and carry in my rear pocket. No outlines and still accessible.

SeaHawkDriver-B

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 02 Aug 2010, 18:12

I think I've decided on the Ruger LCP. I'm not thrilled about picking up another caliber of handgun, I do my absolute best to limit how many different types of ammo I stock. But the .380 in certain loadings comes very close to 9mm performance. Like many of you have stated, Ankle-carry isn't ideal due to accessability, concealement, bulk, and limited options when it comes to pants.

I think I'll get multiple styles of holsters and see which ones suit me best.. the wallet-holster will probably be ideal.

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 02 Aug 2010, 18:21

Ruger LCR in a Wolverine ankle holster (Sportmansguide.com) for $24.95

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 02 Aug 2010, 18:37

Sig 238.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

SeaHawkDriver-B

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 06 Aug 2010, 18:23

flyingirish04 wrote:Sig 238.

Ironic that you said this flyingirish. I went in today to pick up an LCP, and the guy happened to have a Sig 238 on sale. After comparing the two side-by-side for several minutes, I finally decided to go with the Sig.

* 1911 style single-action Condition-1 carry (something i'm mused to)
* Sig reliability, Sig name
* MUCH better sights
* Considerably more accurate than the Ruger or Keltec

owsi26

Post by owsi26 » 12 Aug 2010, 23:13

I live in southern Georgia, so I suffer from the same weather that you do. For many years, I carried via ankle carry and it was my only pistol. I had a huge wake-up call one day. Had those three armed men targeted me, I would be dead before I could draw my pistol - a .380.

That incident may have sent me too far the other way as I openly carried a 14 round .45 with two extra magazines, along with a .380 on my left ankle. On my right ankle, I carried extra .45 and .380 magazines. I forget the actual number of rounds I carried, but it was in the 70s.

Personally, I've tried carrying higher calibers, than a .380, but they printed too much for the jeans I wear. I used to carry a Colt Mustang Pony, but now I carry a Ruger .380 with a Crimsion Trace laser. As an added benefit, my colt .380 magazines also work with the ruger.

I have a Walther PPS, in .40, that might be one that could be ankle carried. Use the other ankle for extra mags, knife, pepper spray, etc. I've found that not only does it make both ankles feel the same - weight wise, but if your carry ankle has a noticeable buldge, your other ankle could be made to appear the same.

As for a primary pistol, I open carry. There have been several wake-up calls that caused me to make that choice. Plus, with a permit, it is legal in my state to OC.

SeaHawkDriver-B

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 13 Aug 2010, 08:27

owsi26 wrote:I live in southern Georgia, so I suffer from the same weather that you do. For many years, I carried via ankle carry and it was my only pistol. I had a huge wake-up call one day. Had those three armed men targeted me, I would be dead before I could draw my pistol - a .380.

That incident may have sent me too far the other way as I openly carried a 14 round .45 with two extra magazines, along with a .380 on my left ankle. On my right ankle, I carried extra .45 and .380 magazines. I forget the actual number of rounds I carried, but it was in the 70s.

Personally, I've tried carrying higher calibers, than a .380, but they printed too much for the jeans I wear. I used to carry a Colt Mustang Pony, but now I carry a Ruger .380 with a Crimsion Trace laser. As an added benefit, my colt .380 magazines also work with the ruger.

I have a Walther PPS, in .40, that might be one that could be ankle carried. Use the other ankle for extra mags, knife, pepper spray, etc. I've found that not only does it make both ankles feel the same - weight wise, but if your carry ankle has a noticeable buldge, your other ankle could be made to appear the same.

As for a primary pistol, I open carry. There have been several wake-up calls that caused me to make that choice. Plus, with a permit, it is legal in my state to OC.
I'm not familiar with your stories and wake-up calls, but it sounds like you've had some run-ins with trouble.

Personally, I view my CCW simply as a retreat buffer. I have no intention of ever going into a true gun-fight with a pistol, especially a small .380, or subcompact revolver. Obviously as a last resort, sure, if thats all you've got and your back is to the wall, better to have a pistol than nothing at all. As long as simply having the pocket-carry pistol or moderate-sized CCW allows me enough time to get out of a bad situation, out of the line of fire, or would simply deter at attacker from engaging, then it has done its job. I think the word "deterrent" best describes any CCW. My immediate action plan is to use the small pistol to allow cover to get to a more formidable weapon, i.e. a carbine or shotgun that I would keep in my house or vehicle. There are very few circumstances where people are not in the vicinity of one or the other, their residence or car. In circumstances where I cannot get to a better-suited weapon, then having several magazines or even a backup carry gun becomes important.

I wish we could open carry in Florida but we can't. So when the weather is hot, all I've got is a 7-shot .380, but when its cold, I'm carrying a custom Glock 29 full of Jay's 10mm's. :evil: , and the .380 as a backup.

SHEEPDOG
Gold Member
custom title: A.K.A. DW

Post by SHEEPDOG » 13 Aug 2010, 08:51

I live in south Texas and we have the same weather problems. I carry my 57 to Sig 220s w/ shorts and a t shirt. I think allot of it has to do with you body type. If you are 6', 165 it will probably harder to conceal than if you are 5'10 220 w/ 50" chest and 36" waist. As I stated before I hate ankle holster.
I just purchased 2 com-tech, 2crossbreeds reviews and pics to follow after some carry time. My first impression with them is if you can't conceal with these get a jacket.

owsi26

Post by owsi26 » 13 Aug 2010, 19:40

swe123 wrote:I live in south Texas and we have the same weather problems. I carry my 57 to Sig 220s w/ shorts and a t shirt. I think allot of it has to do with you body type. If you are 6', 165 it will probably harder to conceal than if you are 5'10 220 w/ 50" chest and 36" waist. As I stated before I hate ankle holster.
I just purchased 2 com-tech, 2crossbreeds reviews and pics to follow after some carry time. My first impression with them is if you can't conceal with these get a jacket.
I meant to mention that. My favorite mode of carry, when wearing shorts, is with the "Thunderwear" holster. Ahthough it can be used with pants and a tucked in shirt; I mainly use when wearing shorts. An untucked shirt allows almost any handgun to be used. " SmartCarry" also makes them, but since they copied (stole) Thunderwears design, I don't do business with them. Both holsters have two pockets to be used how you wish. I use the extra pocket for spare magazines.

A retraction to my previous post: I no longer carry what I used to carry, but my experiences have not been forgotten. I carry a primary and secondary gun, along with extra magazines that are usually out out of sight. Most of what I've experienced can happen to anyone.

It is just my opinion, but I do not rely on another firearm that isn't within feet of me. One could be in the rear area of Walmart and a back-up gun, in your car, will do you no good at all. The gunfight will be over before you could ever make it to your vehicle. I'm a huge believer in carrying a back-up, whenever it is possible to do so. A second gun, on me, is much more useful than one in my car.

bayhawk2

Post by bayhawk2 » 16 Aug 2010, 05:59

When going above the .380 auto,it gets harder to pick areas of carry that will
remain "comfortable".They say the odds of actually getting into a position of
having to shoot another person are a "million to one" at best.If that is
the case,then why would you want to leave the house with a gun so
big,that you would think today is the day?My Ruger LCP .380 goes where I
go.I keep it loaded with hollow points.7 shots that will "stop"any threat.A
very comfortable to carry pistol.My opinion>:)

Ariac

Post by Ariac » 16 Aug 2010, 06:37

bayhawk2 wrote:When going above the .380 auto,it gets harder to pick areas of carry that will
remain "comfortable".They say the odds of actually getting into a position of
having to shoot another person are a "million to one" at best.If that is
the case,then why would you want to leave the house with a gun so
big,that you would think today is the day?My Ruger LCP .380 goes where I
go.I keep it loaded with hollow points.7 shots that will "stop"any threat.A
very comfortable to carry pistol.My opinion>:)
I wish I was so lucky in the lottery. I have been in two situations where my sidearm probably saved myself or others from bodily harm/ death. Just Saterday I stopped a 45-50 man from getting beaten by two 19-20 males. One of the younger men had a bike that he was useing as a make shift club. I open carry and interviened. That said, I did not need to draw my weapon, but I am 6'2 and 210 with the Marines and years of martial arts behind me. After they saw I was armed and willing to act they complied and waited for the police to arrive. If I was a smaller statured woman then that firearm may be a lifesaver. To me it seems better to be over prepaired, rather then under.

bayhawk2

Post by bayhawk2 » 16 Aug 2010, 06:52

Ariac:It's good to see we have people like you that aren't afraid to interviene.
Yes that million to one odds is based on Nation wide odds.According to my
CCW class anyway,and actually going all the way of pulling your weapon and
shooting.I certainly see your point of slightly showing the big guns to the
bad guys.It would certainly be a deterent.By the way?I thank you for serving our
Country.

SeaHawkDriver-B

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 16 Aug 2010, 07:00

You live in the People's Republic of Detroit, the New Orleans of the North. I'd open carry if I were you too.

Ariac

Post by Ariac » 16 Aug 2010, 12:06

My pleasure to serve.

A far as it being the Peoples' republic of Detroit you are right, well at least many politicians think so. Fortunatly many of the men on the ground aren't inclined to agree with policy. None of the responding officers even questioned my open carry, and many of me friends who are leo refuse to enforce laws that are beyond reason (ie the new smoking ban) or against our constitution.

Sorry for the hijack

VeTTeMaNC486

Post by VeTTeMaNC486 » 17 Aug 2010, 20:56

Get a keltec pf9. Bought one at the last gunshow. Was about to fork over money for a LCP to a dealer at it, then right before i bought it I saw the little pf9 sitting there. Compaired the two side by side. Barely any larger at all. Extremely light. The keltec was 10 bucks cheaper if I remember correctly. You get a full size caliber in a gun thats extremely compact.

bayhawk2

Post by bayhawk2 » 18 Aug 2010, 06:59

Speaking on caliber?I am not an expert on getting shot or which bullet
hurts the most.Which bullet I'd rather get shot with?Or not?I
would think I'd rather get shot with a .22 rather than a .44 Mag?
I'm just saying,unless you are a "Gangsta",live or visiting a high crime
area,or just plain paranoid,then just what becomes the gun to carry?
I'm going to carry.I'm going to carry sensibly,accordingly,and as comfortable
as possible.That could go for any of my pistols..22,.380,9MM.38,.45,.44,.410/.45.
Personal favorite?I use a back pocket,billfold style (activeprogear) holster.
It holds my Ruger .380 LCP perfectly.Looks just like a billfold in my back pocket.The LCP is 5 inches long and only a hair
over 1/2 inch thick.O.K. so it's a maucho thing?.380 is a womans gun?
A .380 is no less than a 9MM short.Is the bad guy going to say ""A .380?I've been shot by a womans bullet,therefore I am not hurt and therefore I will not stop my attack?"Put 6 more where that one came from.A .380 or any caliber is always better when it holds several bullets.
I also understand that the bigger the bullet,
the bigger the hole.I would not go below the .380 for concealed carry,however
the .380 with the elite defensive rounds of the day?Along with the newly manufactured Ruger LCP?
Super short,thin and accurate.VettMan:don't get me wrong,I carry a 9MM with me along with a Judge
according to occations.Those .410 000Buck in the Judge are nasty.:)

bayhawk2

Post by bayhawk2 » 18 Aug 2010, 07:52

Sorry to have strayed away from the topic.As far as "ankle carry"?I think
VetteMan has a good choice.I will also say that 9MM ammo is much easier to
find than other calibers.These days that seems to come into play regurlarly
as people are starting to buy ammo up and leaving the supply depleted at
most dealerships.