5.45x39mm rounds compared

Forum for discussing factory & reloading non-5.7x28mm ammunition.
KiloTrooper

5.45x39mm rounds compared

Post by KiloTrooper » 15 Jun 2010, 07:25

I know there is probably limited interested in 5.45x39mm here. However, being an former AK-74 aficionado and having a S&W M&P15r for round commonality, I thought it would be interesting to compare some available ammo with available data on the internet. Went to the range yesterday evening with the chrony. 77degrees F; low humidity, minimal wind. Shot ten rounds with each type and here is what I got:

1. Silver Bear 60gr FMJBT, bimetal, new manufacture
Avg. FPS: 2834, Standard Deviation: 21; Extreme Spread: 78 Group size: 1.4" x 2" after throwing out 2 rounds
4 shot group 1.625"
2. Wolf 60gr FMJ, lead core,,new manufacture
Avg. FPS: 2531,Standard Deviation:34; Extreme Spread 117 Group size: 2.25" x 2" after throwing out 2 rounds

3. Bulgarian Surplus 53 gr FMJBT steel core
Avg FPS: 2975, Standard Deviation: 38; Extreme Spread 119 Group size 1.25" x 1.75" after throwing out 2 rounds
4 shot group: 2"
4. Golden Tiger 59 gr FMJBT lead core?
Avg FPS: 2832, Standard Deviation: 20; Extreme Spread 60 Group size: 3.75"x1.625" after throwing out 2 rounds

For me it is Silver Bear, more accurate, higher velocity, non-corrosive. True, Bulgy Surp is higher velocity, but the Silver Bear groups were much tighter. Forget Wolf- lower velocity- and Golden Tiger- inaccurate as all get out! that is why no 4 round group for each.
wouldn't even want to try Wolf 70gr at this point. With Wolf at minus 300fps, i can only imagine what the 70gr would do.

Regards to you 5.45x39mm shooters- buy Silver Bear, a.k.a Barnaul if you can.

Kilo

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Re: 5.45x39mm rounds compared

Post by blueorison » 15 Jun 2010, 11:16

Great report, Kilo. I'm guessing the range was at 100yds?

I always liked the round, close competitor to the 5.56 and for ALOT less. However I don't plink enough to afford the upper; I wish I did. Shooting rifles long range are so much fun.

Big thumbs up :)
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

sabotteur
custom title: Big Dog Outfitters

Post by sabotteur » 15 Jun 2010, 11:28

That's a bit disappointing about the golden tiger. We usually hype up their ammo due to the extra layers of Laquer they use around the primer and the shoulder to help fight humidity. I'll admit I've never seen their 5.45 rounds though, only their 7.62mm.

Eitherway, great report. Need to get you some of that russian corrisive surplus that's out there and have you add that to your comparison. Would be curious to see where that fits in.

KiloTrooper

Post by KiloTrooper » 15 Jun 2010, 12:36

Send me a few boxes and I will shoot it! :thumb:

Kilo

ChuckD
custom title: Tactical Tier2 Ninja

Post by ChuckD » 15 Jun 2010, 16:33

I like this.

I'm trying to sell my 5.56 to fund a 5.45 upper.

AKStevoUSN

Post by AKStevoUSN » 15 Jun 2010, 17:44

I have been very curious about this caliber. Not a huge AK47 fan, but maybe a 74 could be in the cards. Anything else use this caliber besides AR conversions?

KiloTrooper

Post by KiloTrooper » 21 Jun 2010, 07:18

Only ones I know of are AK-74/RPK-74 builds and S&W M&P15r. Seen Model 1 Sales in Shotgun News has them as well... can't really talk to them as I have no experience with their stuff.

Overall, I think 5.45 is on par with 5.56 as a military cartridge. However, I think it has less accuracy compared to the AR57 I have, and I've found that I like shooting my AR57 a whole heck of a lot more than the standard fare AR.

I opted a while back not to get 5.56/.223 or .308. I like unique and it is more affordable sometimes.

Kilo

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 21 Jun 2010, 11:01

KiloTrooper wrote:Only ones I know of are AK-74/RPK-74 builds and S&W M&P15r. Seen Model 1 Sales in Shotgun News has them as well... can't really talk to them as I have no experience with their stuff.

Overall, I think 5.45 is on par with 5.56 as a military cartridge. However, I think it has less accuracy compared to the AR57 I have, and I've found that I like shooting my AR57 a whole heck of a lot more than the standard fare AR.

I opted a while back not to get 5.56/.223 or .308. I like unique and it is more affordable sometimes.

Kilo
I agree with ya there, Kilo. 5.45 and 5.56 to ME are pretty much the same 300 yds and below for effect and relative POI. AND the 5.45 is MUCH cheaper.

But you have to get a .308. I don't ever have the urge to get a .45 and am not one of those "9mm vs .45 gotta have a big bore" guys because of the tech now they have for higher vel. 9mm's and much better expansion.

But .308. Man. I've seen it's power. hahahaha. You gotta get one. Everyone needs a Savage or a Remy or a Sako or whatever. .308 baby.

Or you could be like the overkill kid like SOMEONE and get a .50 Beowulf SBR. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Shoot more, worry less.

sabotteur
custom title: Big Dog Outfitters

Post by sabotteur » 21 Jun 2010, 11:08

It has been a while since I reviewed russian ammo, but if I remember correctly, and I may be a little fuzzy on this, but here is the uniquness to the 5.45:

The military 5.45 has an air pocket in it that allows a rear knocker to fly forward upon stricking a hard target, begining a spin cycle which as most of us know causes much more cavitational damage to tissue when it strikes. The design allows the bullet to pass through foliage and other lighter obstructions prior to tumbling, which has always been one of the biggest downfalls of the 5.56.

As for guns, you can buy a Nodak Spud receiver built Century AK-74 with three bulgarian mags for $369 shipped from Centerfire systems. Even comes with a bayonette that the sales idiots at Century didn't realize can't fit over the birdcage flash suppressor.... :lmao: The builds are quire nice and are usually something we stock on a regular basis for our gunshows.

Quality isn't too bad. When you add in you can get 2200 rounds shipped for around $275 from Copes Distributing, you can have a nice package for $650 bucks.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 21 Jun 2010, 11:32

sabotteur wrote: Even comes with a bayonette that the sales idiots at Century didn't realize can't fit over the birdcage flash suppressor.... :lmao: .

Century arms, if they ever stopped doing what they do I would get VERY worried.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

KiloTrooper

Post by KiloTrooper » 21 Jun 2010, 11:40

Blue: already too far down the road on .243... from what I have been reading, it has been gaining amongst tactical comp shooters and very early on was a favored SWAT sharpshooter round.

Sabot: I hear ya. I got mine from Ohio Rapid Fire- absolutely excellent work on Bulgy parts kits. What turned me off was finally getting a ZFK scope and putting it on, only to find out that in order to get any sort of accuracy with a rail mounted scope, an AK received needs to be milled, not stamped. Used to think that AK-74 was the ultimate... times and perspectives change... I don't do stamped anymore and Given $329, I think I'd rather get a Stevens 200 bolt action or the new Savage Edge in .243.

I think what killed the AK for me was building my AR57. I discovered what kind of accuracy one can get from a good sight mounted to a finely machined Picatinny rail. Oh yeah, I also discovered MAGPUL.

Aim Surplus out of Columbus, OH is my ammunition go to by the way.

Kilo

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 21 Jun 2010, 11:43

Thanks, Charles. I second Kilo.

You just made me salivate for an AR upper, actually. I really want this in AR upper config for blasting or perhaps a carbine course or just carbine practice.

Oh, it would be so nice to blast with my AR. So nice. I've never done it before, because all I do with it is shoot nice ammo out of it that I probably can't afford :D

One day I'll find one for a good deal or trade. I just don't shoot carbines/rifles much except for hipower practice or matches and the occasional carbine course. Even then, for the latter, I shoot it with my pistol.

But everytime I see the 5.45 prices on ammo, my trigger finger twitches with anticipation....
Shoot more, worry less.

KiloTrooper

Post by KiloTrooper » 21 Jun 2010, 12:06

The things I like about the AR57:
- round commonality, perfect companion for 57 pistol
- black rifle platform, I get to try out all the MAGPUL & TAPCO stuff
- <1" at 100 yards, accurate to 300; 'nuff said!
- 50 round magazines,
- reloadable ammo
- its fun to shoot

dislikes:
- about a pound too heavy
- quick reloads- not so much as compared to AR mags

I've found "blasting" ain't all that fun without good targetry, i.e. steel targets at 100-400 yards.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 21 Jun 2010, 12:56

Yeap, there's just something reactionary about that steel ringing and dinging in the distance.

It's why steel matches are so fun!!! Shooting cardboard is ok when you're running around, but the limited movement in steel is madeup for the difficulty and precision and DING DING DING :D

Sadly, my range doesn't allow steel targets. They play it safe, which is good. But sometimes, there IS too safe.
Shoot more, worry less.

ChuckD

Post by ChuckD » 21 Jun 2010, 16:04

Adams Arms came out with a conversion kit that has a barrel, bolt, harder hammer spring, and flash-hider for around $380.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 21 Jun 2010, 20:03

ChuckD wrote:Adams Arms came out with a conversion kit that has a barrel, bolt, harder hammer spring, and flash-hider for around $380.
That's a sick price; but I'd rather not take apart my handguards etc etc. just get a used upper. However, in the long run, I'd probably get a 1:7 18in Krieger or WOA. I'm just not a blasting guy with rifles; though I'm a huge blaster with the pistols.
Shoot more, worry less.

ChuckD

Post by ChuckD » 22 Jun 2010, 00:38

I found it for 350. It even comes with a mag too Blue!

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 22 Jun 2010, 09:45

ChuckD wrote:I found it for 350. It even comes with a mag too Blue!
Stop..

it... :lmao:

I just spent a bunch of EA S5, but saved a bunch by switching to Geico!! :lmao:

I thought about it, Chuck, but I would really never blast much with rifles. I blast more with pistols. The next rifle is either an RFB or a high-end 1:7.7 18in 5.56 upper. The upper would be cheaper. But those are the only two rifles I'd ever really want to get.

Tony says I'm weird, because my gun list has less than 5 guns on it. Yeah I'm pretty specific to what I like :lmao:
Shoot more, worry less.