SPR A1 300 WSM

Discuss the FN bolt action rifle lineup; the Patrol Bolt Rifle (PBR), Special Police Rifle (SPR), Tactical Sport Rifle (TSR), and Ballista.
Post Reply
romer522
Senior Member
Posts: 2494
Joined: 20 Aug 2008, 09:04
Location: WA

SPR A1 300 WSM

Post by romer522 » 08 May 2010, 12:57

So I've got a line on one of these, I've been looking for a while. Its got me all confused inside as I originally wanted the lighter weight PSR system for something I could pack around if I wanted to. Now I've gotta decide if I want to pay the $1600-1700 right around MSRP for it, and whether or not I want to chop the barrel when I get it threaded. If I'm never going to be able to turn it into the mid weight rifle I wanted is it worth losing barrel length for the minor added mobility.

Something tells me I'm not going to be able to pass up my opportunity for an FN chrome lined barrel in WSM and I'll have to figure out the plan after I make the purchase.

User avatar
blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
Posts: 10628
Joined: 11 Apr 2009, 14:28
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain
Contact:

Re: SPR A1 300 WSM

Post by blueorison » 08 May 2010, 19:23

romer522 wrote:So I've got a line on one of these, I've been looking for a while. Its got me all confused inside as I originally wanted the lighter weight PSR system for something I could pack around if I wanted to. Now I've gotta decide if I want to pay the $1600-1700 right around MSRP for it, and whether or not I want to chop the barrel when I get it threaded. If I'm never going to be able to turn it into the mid weight rifle I wanted is it worth losing barrel length for the minor added mobility.

Something tells me I'm not going to be able to pass up my opportunity for an FN chrome lined barrel in WSM and I'll have to figure out the plan after I make the purchase.
I'd do it if you really want one from FN.

A barrel's length does not necessarily define it's accuracy when it comes to match barrels that are made correctly. It does define what speeds your round is going to take and at what distances it becomes subsonic. That being said, taking length off your barrel will most likely only reduce speeds small enough that your reloading skills would be able to compensate for it.

I'd go for it. IMHO.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

User avatar
f3rr37
Site Admin
Posts: 14666
Joined: 19 Aug 2008, 12:09

Re: SPR A1 300 WSM

Post by f3rr37 » 08 May 2010, 19:51

From my research lately on some other forums, the shorter heavy barrels are giving a slight increase in accuracy because there is less... oh what the heck is the word I'm looking for? Anyway, the shorter barrels tend to be stiffer so the shock of the round traveling down the barrel and the explosion of gas doesn't flex/move (not the word, but it works) the barrel.

But like Blue said, you lose velocity, thus rounds will become subsonic at a lesser range than the longer barrels.

User avatar
panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Posts: 11553
Joined: 19 Aug 2008, 15:51
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.
Contact:

Re: SPR A1 300 WSM

Post by panzermk2 » 08 May 2010, 21:02

f3rr37 wrote:From my research lately on some other forums, the shorter heavy barrels are giving a slight increase in accuracy because there is less... oh what the heck is the word I'm looking for? Anyway, the shorter barrels tend to be stiffer so the shock of the round traveling down the barrel and the explosion of gas doesn't flex/move (not the word, but it works) the barrel.

But like Blue said, you lose velocity, thus rounds will become subsonic at a lesser range than the longer barrels.

The word your looking for is resonance. Shorter barrels vibrate at a lower frequency and impart less of this on the bullet then longer barrels.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz
Image

User avatar
f3rr37
Site Admin
Posts: 14666
Joined: 19 Aug 2008, 12:09

Re: SPR A1 300 WSM

Post by f3rr37 » 08 May 2010, 21:03

panzermk2 wrote:The word your looking for is resonance. Shorter barrels vibrate at a lower frequency and impart less of this on the bullet then longer barrels.
Bingo! You're the winner! You get 2 points for the day... :laugh:

User avatar
blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
Posts: 10628
Joined: 11 Apr 2009, 14:28
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain
Contact:

Re: SPR A1 300 WSM

Post by blueorison » 09 May 2010, 07:43

panzermk2 wrote:
f3rr37 wrote:From my research lately on some other forums, the shorter heavy barrels are giving a slight increase in accuracy because there is less... oh what the heck is the word I'm looking for? Anyway, the shorter barrels tend to be stiffer so the shock of the round traveling down the barrel and the explosion of gas doesn't flex/move (not the word, but it works) the barrel.

But like Blue said, you lose velocity, thus rounds will become subsonic at a lesser range than the longer barrels.

The word your looking for is resonance. Shorter barrels vibrate at a lower frequency and impart less of this on the bullet then longer barrels.
This thread is off to such a great start. I wonder how long it'd take to derail... :wall:

Fuzzy is right. Romer, harmonics and pressure curves also factor greatly into your barrel equation. Olympic shooters are aware of this. When training to become a better captain, I picked up an old Russian Hipower novel from the back of our office that was SUPER THICK and translated from Russian to English. It scientifically broke down every aspect of hipower shooting and the different competitors from Russia, America, etc.; what stances they took, the angles, everything they did at the International competitions (crazy Russians... that was for Vitaliy :laugh: )

A large part of the manual was dedicated to breaking down barrel forces and harmonics. It was quite enlightening, and I can bet you 99% of people shopping for sniper rifles or bolt guns don't know enough about them.

Keep us updated on your rifle! Sounds like an amazing build is comin up!
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

User avatar
flyingirish04
Gold Member
Posts: 4783
Joined: 25 Aug 2008, 21:42
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland
Location: Great Plains, USA

Re: SPR A1 300 WSM

Post by flyingirish04 » 09 May 2010, 10:59

Not sure you want a suppressor on a 300 WSM. I mean its cool if you do, just don't see the purpose unless you plan on needing you muzzle blast to be more concealed if you have to hold off a platoon of usurpers ;). I would just put the money into the optic if it were me. Schmidt and Bender or a Huskemaw.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

romer522
Senior Member
Posts: 2494
Joined: 20 Aug 2008, 09:04
Location: WA

Re: SPR A1 300 WSM

Post by romer522 » 09 May 2010, 16:14

Can is already in the works, I've wanted a 308 can for a while to get into 300 whisper, so having that capability on the WSM is just added.

If I end up buying the SPR a Nightforce 5.5-22 will be on the way and my Dillon 650 will be yet another 6 months away, least I'll have something to handload for in the meantime.

romer522
Senior Member
Posts: 2494
Joined: 20 Aug 2008, 09:04
Location: WA

Re: SPR A1 300 WSM

Post by romer522 » 24 May 2010, 15:30

Well I picked it up today, may get around to taking pics later this week. Its got me all anxious but I know its going to be a while before I pull the trigger. It needs to be threaded and I have to wait a while to buy an optic.



Test target has an acceptable group, .35 inches at 150 yards :clap: OK, its way more than acceptable :thumb:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest