FNAR cleaning question

Discuss the FN lineup of tactical rifles; the FS2000, SCAR, and the venerable FAL.
no one

FNAR cleaning question

Post by no one » 02 Apr 2010, 20:04

From what I can tell, there is no way to remove the bolt from the receiver in order to clean it..The bolt rides inside a bolt carrier that has a sleeve on the top of it. Is there a reasonable way to clean and lubricate this?

From what I can see, the best that can be done to clean it is wipe out the bottom and insides of the receiver, and hope the bolt, bolt carrier and the sleeve don't have too much junk in/on them. I'm not really confident that aerosol sprays will really get all the dirt out as well as wiping it with a solvent soaked cloth, and scrubbing with a gun toothbrush.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

no one

Re: FNAR cleaning question

Post by no one » 03 Apr 2010, 06:45

I just found an excellent video on Youtube that explains how to remove, and replace the bolt, bolt carrier, and sleeve. Enter "FNAR bolt removal" on Youtube and you can see the video. It is far less complicated than I thought it would be.

I just received my FNAR, and so far it is a really neat rifle, but there are a few "issues" I have with the system.

1. You have to clean the barrel from the muzzle, or use a pull through from the breech; I would suggest some kind of a protective bushing to protect the crown of the barrel in either case.
2. The rifle is very complex, and in a field type environment, there are alot of really tiny parts that could easily be lost, thereby making the weapon inoperable.
3. Magazines are quite expensive, and cannot be disassembled for cleaning. The manufacturer suggests an aerosol cleaning spray.
4. Bolt removal is a bit awkward. Not impossible if you know what you are doing, just awkward. Fortunately, my initial belief that it cannot be removed for cleaning were incorrect. I am very pleased with that.

Overall though, I think when I consider the complexity of the system, all the machining and small parts, and the accuracy it will give, the FNAR is a pretty good value for the selling price. Mine has a very decent trigger, and I like that the stock is adjustable for length of pull, cast on or off, angle of the stock, and comb height.

The shortest length of pull I could get is 13 7/8 inch. I would prefer a length of pull around 13 1/2 inch, but that is just me. Perhaps at a later date I will consider acquiring a second stock to shorten. That way if I screw it up, or decide I don't like it, I can always put the factory stock back on and return the rifle to it's original configuration.

fooschnickens
custom title: ~( ̄∇ ̄~) (~ ̄∇ ̄)~

Post by fooschnickens » 03 Apr 2010, 14:31

1) Get a bore snake, it will solve ALL your cleaning woes. Well, not all, but at least those associated with cleaning your bore :laugh:
2) The rifle was designed to be issued to police ops, not ops in the field/jungle/desert/etc.
3) Yeah, it kinda sucks. I'm really hoping someone steps up and makes some aftermarket ones that are both cheaper and able to be cleaned.
4) Yeah, it's pretty involved. Involved enough that I only did it once every three range trips.

I'm pretty sure you can get replacement stocks, I think I talked to Tanner's a while back about getting one to put on an SLP and they said they could get them.
http://www.f00tography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Corporation: n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.
-Ambrose Bierce

tejohnson
custom title: a nobody

Post by tejohnson » 16 Apr 2010, 08:51

+1 on the bore snake!