Whats the best shotgun to buy?

The section for big boomers.
blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Re: Whats the best shotgun to buy?

Post by blueorison » 04 Feb 2010, 21:21

I am not very fluent in shotties, but my buds use shotties don't buy em, because of the lower quality. I think Rapier is pretty much spot on about the rusting thing, they have had complaints of rust on the receiver too.

But I'm sure there are good mossberg's out there with anti-weather finishes. I'd just stay away from the low low end models. Honestly the 870 is a great shotgun, people have them for over 40 years without changing a thing. The one I use is a 30 yr old one. Works everytime. Since 870's only cost $200 used and $400 new, why bother looking elsewhere?
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 04 Feb 2010, 22:11

The Mossberg 590A1s have a parkerized finish like that on the AR-15 style rifles. I have not had any trouble with the finish. The 500s are NOT the same as the 590A1s. The 590A1s have a parkerized finish, thicker barrels and all metal trigger housings. I would look specifically for the "A1."

Mike

PainKillaX
custom title: I rep that west

Post by PainKillaX » 04 Feb 2010, 22:21

My 500 is still peachy, and I've run all sorts of shells in all sorts of conditions. Then again, I take good care of my weapons.

fatherfoof

Post by fatherfoof » 05 Feb 2010, 02:10

freeliener, oh you da man... the only surfer here, Grew up on a Hobie longboard in the 60's. Mariner is cheap--same as any other Moss 500, but oh what a difference!! You cannot corrode it, nor diminish its functionality. Contact Mossburg directly for more info-- you can thank me over lunch when we surf after I lose 100 lbs. :laugh: ff
Please PM Me for LE/Military Access

Captan Harold D

Post by Captan Harold D » 05 Feb 2010, 08:39

Are all Mossberg 590 (590A1)?
If wishes were horses, hobos would ride!

TackKS

Post by TackKS » 05 Feb 2010, 10:03

Remington 870.

Then go to Walmart and buy some $12.50 (15-rd) boxes of their Winchester Super X Magnum Buckshot loads (15-pellets per round). These rounds work real good.

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 05 Feb 2010, 12:32

blueorison wrote:...they have had complaints of rust on the receiver too.
I thought the Mossberg 500/590 receivers were made of an aluminum alloy. I would be a little surprised to see aluminum rusting. I will have to double check mine.

Mike

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 05 Feb 2010, 12:34

Mossbergs rust like its there job. I take very good care of all my weapons, and Mossbergs are terrible. They are cheap POS's.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

freelienr

Post by freelienr » 05 Feb 2010, 15:48

Vortec MAX wrote: I thought the Mossberg 500/590 receivers were made of an aluminum alloy. I would be a little surprised to see aluminum rusting. I will have to double check mine.

Mike
Aluminum won't rust, but it has it's own version of corrosion build up.

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 05 Feb 2010, 16:41

Vortec MAX wrote:
I thought the Mossberg 500/590 receivers were made of an aluminum alloy. I would be a little surprised to see aluminum rusting. I will have to double check mine.
I just checked. The receiver is aluminum alloy. No chance in hell it will rust... ever. I officially call BS on Mossberg 590s with rusty receivers.

Mike

P.S. freelienr is right in that aluminum can corrode, but only bare aluminum. It just gets a patina on it. The aluminum on the Mossberg receiver is parkerized. An AR-15 has the same chance of developing corrosion (patina).

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 05 Feb 2010, 19:52

Vortec MAX wrote:
Vortec MAX wrote:
I just checked. The receiver is aluminum alloy. No chance in hell it will rust... ever. I officially call BS on Mossberg 590s with rusty receivers.

Mike

P.S. freelienr is right in that aluminum can corrode, but only bare aluminum. It just gets a patina on it. The aluminum on the Mossberg receiver is parkerized. An AR-15 has the same chance of developing corrosion (patina).
..and anything with patina likes to be called 'vintage' by the hippies here, haha.

I'll have to check on the reports of corrosion on receiver. I think it was a review on budsguns that I read.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

ynoty3k
custom title: Hoplophile

Post by ynoty3k » 05 Feb 2010, 20:11

flyingirish04 wrote:Mossbergs rust like its there job. I take very good care of all my weapons, and Mossbergs are terrible. They are cheap POS's.
I still think this is a little harsh on Mossbergs, more like an opinion. I didn't miss a clay last weekend, they can't be too bad.

freelienr

Post by freelienr » 06 Feb 2010, 02:06

Another note-able observation from reviews was that alot of the Mossy vs Remmie came down to personal taste and opinion. They all agreed that the remmies were of slightly higher quality, but over all very comparable.

Like I said though, it's good to know more than less. So i appreciate all comments and feedback. :)

Rocky123

Post by Rocky123 » 07 Feb 2010, 23:05

freelienr wrote:The benelli is a piece of work, very nice. Way out of my spending range though (im not allowed to spend that much on a gun since i got the ps90 :wall: ).
I don't know squat about shotguns, but here's what I heard: The Stoeger is the exact Benelli design (several models) but made in Hungary? so the price is much less.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day; teach him to confiscate your fish and he'll eat as long as you fish!

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 08 Feb 2010, 07:09

Rocky123 wrote:
freelienr wrote:The benelli is a piece of work, very nice. Way out of my spending range though (im not allowed to spend that much on a gun since i got the ps90 :wall: ).
I don't know squat about shotguns, but here's what I heard: The Stoeger is the exact Benelli design (several models) but made in Hungary? so the price is much less.

not accurate. Totally different guns.

Buy a Rem 870. You won't be disappointed. Virtually same price as a Mossberg 500, twice the gun.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.

Post by panzermk2 » 09 Feb 2010, 12:58

Weatherby Orion or this hot little number,

Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

freelienr

Post by freelienr » 09 Feb 2010, 20:47

i could buy like... 3 mossies or remmies (get one of each!) for those prices! They look very pretty though

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 09 Feb 2010, 20:55

Captan Harold D wrote:Are all Mossberg 590 (590A1)?
No. A 590A1 shares many of the same parts as the regular 590, but the "A1" is the military version which has an all metal trigger housing and a thicker barrel.

One drawback to the 590A1 is the cool "heat shield" that you see on some 590s will not fit on the 590A1 because of the larger outside diameter of the A1 barrel.

There is a company that makes a heat shield for the A1, but I cannot remember who.

By the way, I scored a perfect score on the police shotgun course with my mossy. It is a fine shotgun. Don't let these naysayers fool ya.

Mike

stateofbliss
custom title: Unamazed - Unphased

Post by stateofbliss » 14 Apr 2010, 22:14

You want to hunt or you want home defense?

A BENELLI Super Black Hawk can do both, with some one used to quick reloading like experienced in TX dove hunts (or getting badbutting with a let them fly skeet shooting opportunity). The 3.5" chamber allows too many opportunities.

On my Moss Marine stainless (nickle) by the bedroom door (cause it IS a 2 income family and therefore it should be a 2 person defense apparatus) has both a laser and surefire on separate end cap switches that can be activated when the pump slides battery.

A 3" chamber in #4 buck will perforate with little secondary outer wall penetration. With a laser you need to be concerned about smart vs dumb thieves who would duck or dodge. How good are you with a moving target?

Pistol or shotgun, for defense or hunting, the ultimate defense is the hunter being the hunted - waiting for an arrival, anticipating it and dealing with it as fleeting a moment it may be.

The disclaimer goes here...

And, I'd never own a Remington, again... after being told my new gun had a mfg defect and they wanted me to pay to fix it.

There's guns out based upon the 'inertia' vs gas design. The former being so easy to cycle over the later, but if you really want a gun loaded with 2 3/4 ready to go, cheap, it's the old Browning auto N2000 with a finger eating side feed that you can remove the shell limiter to (and change barrels if desired) give you a whopping 6 rounds of reliable cycling and power starting for less than $300).

Another disclaimer please, as the crowd cheers...
So little time, so much to do and hopefully while it's still legal...

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 15 Apr 2010, 11:22

Mossberg just beat out Remington for the U.S.M.C. contract. So must not be too big of P.O.S.
In a fight I would and feel that I could dependon either an 870 Remi or Mossberg 590/590A1.
For those with bigger pocket books, Benelli can never be overlooked