Hornady Lock and Load AP review

General reloading

Moderator: Grantness

The Keymaster
custom title: Keeper Of The Keys

Re: Hornady Lock and Load AP review

Post by The Keymaster » 07 Dec 2010, 23:11

jmz5 wrote:From what I am reading, I should probably add one of 9mm Hornady's powder through expander to my list of things to get.

Make sure you get the NEWEST version of the PTE. There is a .355, and a .355A. They have 2 DIFFERENT PART NUMBERS. Get the 290030. It is designed to work with both lead and jacketed bullets. It is slightly longer than the previous model 290040. I had an animated discussion with Hornady about the issues I was having with the first model not expanding the case mouth sufficiently. A couple of weeks ago they called me to say they were sending me a FREE replacement that was a new model. When I asked what the difference was, I was told it was slightly longer. They probably figured it out when they tried to use the bullet feeder in conjunction with the old PTE. There was no way that bullet was going to sit on top of that case without being held in place with your fingers. The new one is MUCH better.

Hornady has some really good videos on Youtube that may help you set up your press. They are also available on their website.

jmz5
Site Admin
custom title: Proprietor

Post by jmz5 » 08 Dec 2010, 04:59

I have watched the videos, and more. I will be adding a case and bullet feeder to my setup after I get it and run some ammo through it.
كاف

jmz5
Site Admin
custom title: Proprietor

Post by jmz5 » 01 Jan 2011, 07:58

Like OP said, my indexing studs didn't come perfect from the factory, with about 30 minutes of screwing around with them, I finally got them indexing correctly.
I also took the advice and cleaned everything, then cleaned it again and had no problems with my powder dispenser.
كاف