Reloading Questions

General reloading

Moderator: Grantness

Post Reply
57js
Member
Posts: 382
Joined: 21 Mar 2009, 18:16

Reloading Questions

Post by 57js » 03 Oct 2011, 20:31

Since I might be getting a 10mm in the near future, and I have been interested in a .44 Magnum for a long time (and it will probably be a while before I get one), I am thinking about reloading at some point. The problem is I live in a very small apartment, and I am not sure how much room I need. How much space does all the equipment take up? I am not even sure what equipment I need yet as I would have to start researching everything. If I do get into reloading, probably makes sense to reload .357 Magnum, 5.7, 5.56, 9mm, 10 mm, and .44 Magnum. Don't think .38 Special is worth it, but don't know.

Am I out of luck since I don't have a lot of space?

RAIDENelder
Junior Member
Posts: 38
Joined: 22 Jul 2010, 06:54
Location: Oklahoma

Re: Reloading Questions

Post by RAIDENelder » 04 Oct 2011, 04:55

I reload all of the above in my house. A small bookshelf holds all of my supplies and my press clamps onto the counter in the kitchen. I have no problem with any of this and my house (rented near my collage) is small and shared with 3 others... Personally, I think your good to go



P.S. I reload .38 spl too, I use them in my .357mag to shoot turtles..... :thumb:

57js
Member
Posts: 382
Joined: 21 Mar 2009, 18:16

Re: Reloading Questions

Post by 57js » 04 Oct 2011, 06:41

RAIDENelder wrote:I reload all of the above in my house. A small bookshelf holds all of my supplies and my press clamps onto the counter in the kitchen. I have no problem with any of this and my house (rented near my collage) is small and shared with 3 others... Personally, I think your good to go



P.S. I reload .38 spl too, I use them in my .357mag to shoot turtles..... :thumb:
Do you have any recommendations on where to get started? Books to read, equipment to get, etc.? I know people recommend reloading other calibers than 5.7 first which is how I plan to handle it though most of the brass I have laying around is 5.7. Guess that means I should go shoot some ammo.

User avatar
jmz5
Site Admin
Posts: 11105
Joined: 18 Aug 2008, 21:26
custom title: Proprietor
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Reloading Questions

Post by jmz5 » 04 Oct 2011, 06:56

Start with this book.

http://www.amazon.com/ABCs-Reloading-De ... 054&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then get this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Lee-2nd-Reloading ... 087&sr=1-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then get a single stage press, I was able to get a great deal on a used press when I started reloading years ago.

Don't be afraid to start with the 5.7, you just need to take your time. reloading is very rewarding.

There is probably over a hundred years of collective reloading experience here easily, we can help you as you go. :)
كاف

Visceral_Malice
Junior Member
Posts: 196
Joined: 19 Jan 2011, 01:30
Location: Louisiana

Re: Reloading Questions

Post by Visceral_Malice » 04 Oct 2011, 07:12

I reload in my house, but space is very tight and I actually use an end table for all my reloading. It's not ideal, but I've loaded several thousand rounds on it. I started with .45acp then .223 I recently started loading 357 sig and I have everything to start 5.7 now.

Personally, I think its best to start with a straight wall cartridge on a single stage press. Bottleneck cartridges aren't any harder, but the case prep is significant and tedious where with a straight wall you just clean it and size it and you're ready to go. Bottlenecks require less actual steps on the press though.

I bought a turret press about 3 months ago and it was an amazing step up after the single stage. I started with all Lee stuff and here and there I pick up a few RCBS items I have read are worth my time. I would recommend getting some kind of decent trimmer (Trim Pro, Zip trim) as soon as you start with any bottleneck.

Visceral_Malice
Junior Member
Posts: 196
Joined: 19 Jan 2011, 01:30
Location: Louisiana

Re: Reloading Questions

Post by Visceral_Malice » 04 Oct 2011, 07:23

Here are a couple of pics of my current setup. At least most of it.

This is my rickety ass end table with my press and trimmer mounted on it:
Image

I have a shelf on the wall with all the dies, bullets, and odd and ends:
Image

User avatar
jmz5
Site Admin
Posts: 11105
Joined: 18 Aug 2008, 21:26
custom title: Proprietor
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Reloading Questions

Post by jmz5 » 04 Oct 2011, 07:24

Trim pro is great, don't waste money on anything else.
كاف

57js
Member
Posts: 382
Joined: 21 Mar 2009, 18:16

Re: Reloading Questions

Post by 57js » 04 Oct 2011, 07:52

jmz5 wrote:Start with this book.

http://www.amazon.com/ABCs-Reloading-De ... 054&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then get this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Lee-2nd-Reloading ... 087&sr=1-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then get a single stage press, I was able to get a great deal on a used press when I started reloading years ago.

Don't be afraid to start with the 5.7, you just need to take your time. reloading is very rewarding.

There is probably over a hundred years of collective reloading experience here easily, we can help you as you go. :)
I will certainly order the first book today, and then start looking at the second book. That second book seems to be out of print, but will probably get that used book with the link you provided.

How much should the equipment cost?

Thanks. I will probably end up with a lot of questions once I decide to get started.

57js
Member
Posts: 382
Joined: 21 Mar 2009, 18:16

Re: Reloading Questions

Post by 57js » 04 Oct 2011, 07:56

Visceral_Malice wrote:I reload in my house, but space is very tight and I actually use an end table for all my reloading. It's not ideal, but I've loaded several thousand rounds on it. I started with .45acp then .223 I recently started loading 357 sig and I have everything to start 5.7 now.

Personally, I think its best to start with a straight wall cartridge on a single stage press. Bottleneck cartridges aren't any harder, but the case prep is significant and tedious where with a straight wall you just clean it and size it and you're ready to go. Bottlenecks require less actual steps on the press though.

I bought a turret press about 3 months ago and it was an amazing step up after the single stage. I started with all Lee stuff and here and there I pick up a few RCBS items I have read are worth my time. I would recommend getting some kind of decent trimmer (Trim Pro, Zip trim) as soon as you start with any bottleneck.
Since I live in a tiny apartment, space would be very tight as well. I might have to adjust my dining room table for my computer, and reloading materials. I will probably start with .357 Magnum or 9mm before moving up to the 5.7. Really glad I all ammo I bought has reloadable brass.

Visceral_Malice
Junior Member
Posts: 196
Joined: 19 Jan 2011, 01:30
Location: Louisiana

Re: Reloading Questions

Post by Visceral_Malice » 04 Oct 2011, 08:07

57js wrote: How much should the equipment cost?
You can still get the lee anniversary kit for around $100 and it has most of what you need. A good caliper is a must and a tumbler is a good buy also. Besides that you'll need the components (bullets, brass, primers, and powder) and dies. You can find the most up to date loads on all the powder manufacturer's websites. Hodgdon's has a ridiculous amount of load data for everything imaginable, except the 5.7 of course.

User avatar
jmz5
Site Admin
Posts: 11105
Joined: 18 Aug 2008, 21:26
custom title: Proprietor
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Reloading Questions

Post by jmz5 » 04 Oct 2011, 11:53

To save on space, you can attach your press to a table or bench with wing nuts, that way you can box it away when it's not in use.
كاف

User avatar
f3rr37
Site Admin
Posts: 14666
Joined: 19 Aug 2008, 12:09

Re: Reloading Questions

Post by f3rr37 » 04 Oct 2011, 19:19

jmz5 wrote:To save on space, you can attach your press to a table or bench with wing nuts, that way you can box it away when it's not in use.
Or if you're really lacking space, try a Lee Hand Press, they're wonderful for when you're limited on space or need to load some ammo when you're not home. :)

57js
Member
Posts: 382
Joined: 21 Mar 2009, 18:16

Re: Reloading Questions

Post by 57js » 05 Oct 2011, 06:35

f3rr37 wrote:
jmz5 wrote:To save on space, you can attach your press to a table or bench with wing nuts, that way you can box it away when it's not in use.
Or if you're really lacking space, try a Lee Hand Press, they're wonderful for when you're limited on space or need to load some ammo when you're not home. :)
I will have to look into that. I bought one of the recommended books yesterday, and should have it next week. Once I read up on reloading, I may try to get into it. I already feel sorry for the delivery guy who has to lug all the ammo and supplies I buy, but if I get reloading equipment shipped in, I am going to have to consider a nice Christmas bonus.

User avatar
jmz5
Site Admin
Posts: 11105
Joined: 18 Aug 2008, 21:26
custom title: Proprietor
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Reloading Questions

Post by jmz5 » 05 Oct 2011, 17:08

Don't listen to Jake, the hand press sucks.

J/k it doesn't suck*














*(it really does suck for loading a lot of rounds)
كاف

User avatar
jmz5
Site Admin
Posts: 11105
Joined: 18 Aug 2008, 21:26
custom title: Proprietor
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Reloading Questions

Post by jmz5 » 05 Oct 2011, 17:10

I have a Lyman reloader's data log, it's kinda pricey, but it's a lot better than the notebook I used to keep my load data in.
كاف

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest