F/S SIG 556 Pistol LOWER

Post firearms for sale or want to buy requests.
Forum rules
1. Prices MUST be listed. No "make offer" ads.

2. No links to auction sites.

3. List your location in either the title, thread content or your profile.

4. Dealers must subscribe or email me at [email protected] to discuss options.

5. You must have a minimum of 50 posts on this board to post WTS advertisements, or have a paid membership. Insignificant posts and smilies do not count.

6. Do not bump your ad unless it is no longer visible on the 1st page.

Thank you for your cooperation. If you have any questions, feel free to PM or email me.
SeaHawkDriver-B
Location: Embarked on 2 acres of floating Soverign US Territory

F/S SIG 556 Pistol LOWER

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 27 Jun 2010, 16:01

I have a NEW Sig Sauer 556-P Lower reciver (complete). I bought the gun new and am in the process of waiting the 4-6 months for the Form-1 to return, the upper will eventually be mated to a fully custom 552 Commando lower SBR which I have already purchased.

In the meantime, the lower is for Sale. Never been fired. This lower will allow you to take ANY 550-series rifle and add a stockless pistol, OR, purchase any of the serialized uppers and add this to make your own 556-P. I saw one on gubroker two days ago asking $480.

Of course, your state and local regulations would apply to whatever you decide to do with it.

Price: $375

again, the picture is accurate but i'm seling the lower receiver/complete trigger group, not the whole weapon. This is an unserialized part and requires no transfer of any sort.

AKStevoUSN

Re: F/S SIG 556 Pistol LOWER

Post by AKStevoUSN » 27 Jun 2010, 16:13

Awesome gun. I wish I would have went with the pistol. It seems like a better way to go for SBR than changing a barrel or upper,which is what I was thinking of doing with my patrol model.

Hey SeaHawk, is the 552 swap a direct fit? The Commando is the gun I originally wanted but pretty rare (and expensive) in my searches.

SeaHawkDriver-B

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 27 Jun 2010, 16:26

The 552 is a sentimental collection piece I've been itching to build for a while. There is no such thing as a civilian clone 552, only LEO or military can purchase the real thing. To make a civlian leagl clone, the SBR is mandatory. You can go two ways with it, start with a rifle, or start with the pistol. The pistol is by far the easiest way to get an accurate and dependable clone, but it still COSTS THE FARM to do.

First thing you need is the actual 556 pistol, around 1200 bucks at your local gun store.

Second thing you need is a 556 classic lower, they are rare and unless you feel like purchasing ANOTHER whole gun, you'll pay upwards of $800 for just the lower.

Now, take the stock off the classic lower, and replace it with an original SIG 552 stock (a few hundred more from Colorado gun sales). Next, get out your calculator and figure out how to be 922r-compliant. I put 4 US-made parts on the upper so I'm good to go, there are several options for the 55X series rifles so its not hard.

Now do the ATF Form-1 and wait.

In the meantime, get your upper and lower refinished in the original 552 Command GREY receiver. You'll also need to get the S and F (safety and fire) marks on the receiver done in red and white respectviely.

The 552 specific foregrip, retaining ring, and 552 flash suppressor can be purchaed from Mike Frost at MFIP. They are not as high a quality as I would like and even though I bought them for an exact match, I'm not going to install them. The plastic feels like its off an airsoft gun. Instead I"m going to keep the aluminum quad-rail on the front end and put a Gem-tech thread on the end of the barrel.

You'll have to also buy the hard-to-find clear SIG 552 AR magazines, and the rear drum sight.

After all that you've spent around $3500 for a rifle that is shorter and not nearly as accurate as a plain-old out-of the box AR. But hey, it sure looks cool :)

AKStevoUSN

Post by AKStevoUSN » 27 Jun 2010, 17:47

Man, talk about doing it right! Too bad about the foregrip and other pieces. If they fit the short gas system on the patrol (I assume it is the same length as the pistol variant) I might take a look as mine will never be the showpiece yours sounds like. Pics?

Coincidentally, The Bourne Ultimatum just came on. Nice 552 example.

So anyway, it sounds like you are pretty close to my ideal setup. 922r... don't get me started.
I will be happy with a budget SBR made of new pieces, but I was thinking about getting it done in that original commando color. What was your resource for that if you don't mind me asking?

SeaHawkDriver-B

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 27 Jun 2010, 18:44

My local gunsmith happens to be a Sig Freak and has access to equipment that puts the original style Sig finishes on whatever he wants.

I don't have pictures becuase all my parts are at the Gunsmith awaiting Form-1 approval... all the work is done, we just need word from Uncle Sam to put them together legally.

If you were going to go ahead with the build, you could do it on a budget of around $1800-2200 depending on how much luck you have finding canabalized parts, and what specific stock you wanted on the back. If you just want a 500 series rifle with all the same features as the 552, look into the 556-Swat SBR, pictured below:

This is a gun that is made FROM Sig, IN the US, which means you are not "making a weapon"; your local CLIII dealer can buy them from the factory this way and you just have to do the ATF transfer paperwork with $200 tax stamp. Its a lot easier in my opinion even though you have to pay the hefty fee to the government. Also, the 556 SWAT SBR has an AR-style hookup in the back that will mate to ANY AR-style stock, so your choice in stock are limitless.

For comparison, here is the EXACT 552 I'm building, right down to the ACOG 4x32 I'm putting on top, the only difference is that I'll be using a Surefire light on the side instead of the generic model you see in the picture (see below):

This one, as described, takes a little more attention to get right. You have a specific barrel length, colors on both the upper and lower receiver to match-up, foregrip, and lots of little pieces if you are a fanatic about details. It also requires the arduous and lenghty BATF Form 1 process which is all on you, the individual, to complete, not your local gun store. To me they are both functionally the same weapon, but the long road of ownging something truely rare is worth it to me.

AKStevoUSN

Post by AKStevoUSN » 27 Jun 2010, 21:26

Yeah, I already have the 556 patrol. The short handguard makes it look a little commando. Just trying to decide what direction to go.

Thats gonna be one nice setup when you get it back. I just really like the old 552 handguards though.

RaYhoLio

Post by RaYhoLio » 28 Jun 2010, 10:42

I don't know about the shorties... but I didn't like the full sized version at all... Seemed to shoot ok.. but it was pretty heavy... expecially in the front... Maybe if I ever get a shot at an SBR, I'll change my mind.. but I didn't see what all the hype was about with the 556. Sorta reminded me of an M14.. LOL

SeaHawkDriver-B

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 28 Jun 2010, 14:58

RaYhoLio wrote:I don't know about the shorties... but I didn't like the full sized version at all... Seemed to shoot ok.. but it was pretty heavy... expecially in the front... Maybe if I ever get a shot at an SBR, I'll change my mind.. but I didn't see what all the hype was about with the 556. Sorta reminded me of an M14.. LOL
RayhoLoi, most of the hype around the Sigs has mostly to do with their reputation as a company, and not the 556 rifle specifically. Sigarms has been manufacturing the military versions of the 500-series in Europe, and for other militaries/Law Enforcement, for a long, long time, and with a lot of success- Sig has been around in Switzerland since the mid 1800's. In the US, sig built their reputation on their highly successful pistols.

Until the 500 series rifles came on the US market, the direct-impengement AR-15 and all of the clones and manufactueres thereof, made up the lions' share of all the 5.56 rifles in the average gun store. The Sig represents a modern piston gun with the Sig reputation behind it, for not a whole lot of money when you compare it to other rifles of the same grade. You are right, they are heavy, but some people prefer machined aluminum parts to polymer these days, especially in battle rifles that are built for real-world torture in the hands of the average soldier, not just to look pretty in someone's gun closet.

Considering you can buy a Sig for just a few hundred more than a good name-brand AR-15, it isn't much of a stretch to see why they are so popular, considering AR-15 magazines and SIG 556 magazines are interchangable. A nice little selling point.

As seen below, the 55X series of rifles from the 550/STGW90, 551 variants, and the original 552 "commando", these are military rifles but serveral iterations of them have been produced:

Your average civilian 556 rifle looks something like this:

Last edited by SeaHawkDriver-B on 28 Jun 2010, 18:38, edited 3 times in total.

AKStevoUSN

Post by AKStevoUSN » 28 Jun 2010, 17:03

RaYhoLio wrote:I don't know about the shorties... but I didn't like the full sized version at all... Seemed to shoot ok.. but it was pretty heavy... expecially in the front... Maybe if I ever get a shot at an SBR, I'll change my mind.. but I didn't see what all the hype was about with the 556. Sorta reminded me of an M14.. LOL
You can save some weight if you stay away from the $300 quadrail option, and go for the short gas system and handguard, But I have to say SBR sounds like a better option.

SeaHawk, have you seen anyone with spare uppers?

SeaHawkDriver-B

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 28 Jun 2010, 18:35

Wow very nice 556 Classic you have there Stevo. They really did put together a nice package in that rifle, and the original 'classic' is getting harder to find these days with the new iterations on the market. Compared to the average DI AR-15, there really isn't much to say, the Sig stands head and shoulders above it, even though it is a heavier gun.

The uppers, being serialized, are just like AR lowers. I've seen them for sale online and in very good gun stores, but 99% of the time they are attached to lowers, Sig just sells them that way. I dont think they've been on the market long enough, and there aren't any "Sig Clones" out there making mega-stock of parts like there are for the AR crowd.

There's one on Gunbroker right now, asking $800, here's the auction number: Auction # 176544050, looks NIB. A lot of the spare uppers/lowers like mine are from people doing "builds", where becuase there are so many variants in each of the classes... i.e. 550-551-552-556, you get random NIB parts for sale; i.e. one guy taking part of one gun and slapping it on another. Hey, buy the one off GB and mate it to my pistol lower, you'll have an A-team gun, lol!

AKStevoUSN

Post by AKStevoUSN » 28 Jun 2010, 18:59

Have you heard anything about bbl swaps on the 556? I was wondering if it would be a good option for SBR. I assumed the gas system on mine was the pistol length and would allow a swap.

SeaHawkDriver-B

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 28 Jun 2010, 19:27

Unfortunately I know nothing about barrel swaps, that would be a question for either someone who is very knowledgable about the Sig rifles or a Sig-certified armorer. You could try calling their customer service line but that sort of stuff is a crap shoot.

SeaHawkDriver-B

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 08 Jul 2010, 15:26

One last BUMP, price drop to $325, tomorrow she goes on Gunbroker. Don't let this deal pass you up!