New Military 5.56mm Rounds? M855A1?

Forum for discussing factory & reloading non-5.7x28mm ammunition.
Post Reply
User avatar
Vortec MAX
Gold Member
Posts: 1159
Joined: 09 Nov 2008, 17:56
Location: Idaho

New Military 5.56mm Rounds? M855A1?

Post by Vortec MAX » 29 Jun 2010, 08:17

This is the first I have heard of this. I saw this on Fox News.

New Military Rifle Rounds

Anyone else have more info on this? I would like to know the specifics of the round, such as velocity, projectile weight, and projectile composition.

Mike

User avatar
f3rr37
Site Admin
Posts: 14666
Joined: 19 Aug 2008, 12:09

Re: New Military 5.56mm Rounds? M855A1?

Post by f3rr37 » 29 Jun 2010, 08:21

I just saw this yesterday on Fox News. I did a little looking, not sure about the weight, but it has a steel penetrator and some sort of alloy core (I'm guessing something light like aluminum). I'm guessing it is in the 70grain range. Appears to be lead free... I think.

User avatar
MrSlippyFist
Global Moderator
Posts: 7018
Joined: 27 Aug 2008, 12:44
custom title: Sweeper
Location: Spokane, WA
Contact:

Re: New Military 5.56mm Rounds? M855A1?

Post by MrSlippyFist » 29 Jun 2010, 08:31

http://proceedings.ndia.org/0610/10169.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After significant test and evaluation, the team advanced a 3-piece, reverse-jacket bullet design incorporating a hardened steel penetrator and a lead-free slug. Ballistic test results for the new M855A1 cartridge show improved performance over M855 at both long and short ranges, and across an array of target sets.
Image
Embrace the Suck

User avatar
MrSlippyFist
Global Moderator
Posts: 7018
Joined: 27 Aug 2008, 12:44
custom title: Sweeper
Location: Spokane, WA
Contact:

Re: New Military 5.56mm Rounds? M855A1?

Post by MrSlippyFist » 29 Jun 2010, 08:33

Lots of fun facts in this slide show:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/33481923/M855A1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image
Embrace the Suck

User avatar
jmz5
Site Admin
Posts: 11105
Joined: 18 Aug 2008, 21:26
custom title: Proprietor
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: New Military 5.56mm Rounds? M855A1?

Post by jmz5 » 29 Jun 2010, 09:04

Looks sweet, wonder how long it will take us civies to get some of that.
I've got a few thousand rounds of M855 I have been saving for a rainy body armor wearing zombie infested day.
كاف

User avatar
jmz5
Site Admin
Posts: 11105
Joined: 18 Aug 2008, 21:26
custom title: Proprietor
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: New Military 5.56mm Rounds? M855A1?

Post by jmz5 » 29 Jun 2010, 09:10

I'm betting the core is copper and weights closer to 62gr. Bullet doesn't seem long enough for a aluminum core.
كاف

User avatar
jmz5
Site Admin
Posts: 11105
Joined: 18 Aug 2008, 21:26
custom title: Proprietor
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: New Military 5.56mm Rounds? M855A1?

Post by jmz5 » 29 Jun 2010, 09:14

Pigs must be flying somewhere...
During testing, the M855A1 performed better than current 7.62mm ball ammunition against certain types of targets, blurring the performance differences that previously separated the two rounds
http://www.military.com/news/article/ar ... stan-.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
كاف

Grantness
Senior Member
Posts: 4677
Joined: 19 Aug 2008, 09:13
Location: Virginia

Re: New Military 5.56mm Rounds? M855A1?

Post by Grantness » 29 Jun 2010, 09:18

Anyone find out how heavy that M855A1 is? The slide show slippy posted said the M856 tracer (which I assume is supposed to be the tracer version of the M855A1) will be 56gr...

Apparently there's another bullet called the SOST thats already out there which is better. http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/20 ... 5-56-ammo/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It has an open tip design and reminds me a lot of a trophy bonded bear claw or other similar hunting bullets.

I was under the impression that hollow point or open tip (whats the difference?) were illegal to use in war, so whats the deal here?

User avatar
blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
Posts: 10628
Joined: 11 Apr 2009, 14:28
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain
Contact:

Re: New Military 5.56mm Rounds? M855A1?

Post by blueorison » 29 Jun 2010, 09:22

jmz5 wrote:Pigs must be flying somewhere...
During testing, the M855A1 performed better than current 7.62mm ball ammunition against certain types of targets, blurring the performance differences that previously separated the two rounds
http://www.military.com/news/article/ar ... stan-.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dr. Roberts must have been their testor. Wait, nvm, he thinks the 5.56 is inadequate.

I'm always a fan of shot placement and HP's.

Pretty sure JMZ's on the money. OAL. Probably just a solid copper body or something quite similar and a steel penetrator. Woopdeedoo. Was overtime, anyway. It's like the entire piston AR trend. Been around for ages, then you finally incorporate it?

Glad for the troops. Probably will see some stupid Barf.com hype followed by insane prices on this ammo for civvies, then after 10 years or so the price will go down to the regular prices and Barf.com will switch back to their milspec loads of M193 or something.

ZZZ Already is old news haha. Now what I want is the match loads made for the SCAR. That would be legit.

If not, I'm for HP's all the way with a polymer tip. I don't like the 75grainer Amax's too much, so I'll have to keep settling for the 77gr SMK.

And I'm right there with you, JMZ. Though not parallel in quantity, I have purchased some hundreds of ss109 for a relatively compact cache. I need to get M855 like yours, though. Mine are Euro spec and not US, hence missing the M855 designation and different character.
Last edited by blueorison on 29 Jun 2010, 09:28, edited 1 time in total.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

User avatar
jmz5
Site Admin
Posts: 11105
Joined: 18 Aug 2008, 21:26
custom title: Proprietor
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: New Military 5.56mm Rounds? M855A1?

Post by jmz5 » 29 Jun 2010, 09:25

Grantness wrote:Anyone find out how heavy that M855A1 is? The slide show slippy posted said the M856 tracer (which I assume is supposed to be the tracer version of the M855A1) will be 56gr...

Apparently there's another bullet called the SOST thats already out there which is better. http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/20 ... 5-56-ammo/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It has an open tip design and reminds me a lot of a trophy bonded bear claw or other similar hunting bullets.

I was under the impression that hollow point or open tip (whats the difference?) were illegal to use in war, so whats the deal here?
http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/20 ... o_021510w/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
كاف

User avatar
blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
Posts: 10628
Joined: 11 Apr 2009, 14:28
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain
Contact:

Re: New Military 5.56mm Rounds? M855A1?

Post by blueorison » 29 Jun 2010, 10:16

jmz5 wrote:
Grantness wrote:Anyone find out how heavy that M855A1 is? The slide show slippy posted said the M856 tracer (which I assume is supposed to be the tracer version of the M855A1) will be 56gr...

Apparently there's another bullet called the SOST thats already out there which is better. http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/20 ... 5-56-ammo/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It has an open tip design and reminds me a lot of a trophy bonded bear claw or other similar hunting bullets.

I was under the impression that hollow point or open tip (whats the difference?) were illegal to use in war, so whats the deal here?
http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/20 ... o_021510w/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HEY GUYS

Let's spend billions on developing a new, more advanced round that is more efficient!

BUT

It can't be TOO efficient, cuz then, it would be against the rules. Because in war, we try not to hurt our enemies.

- International Home Owners Association
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

sabotteur
Senior Member
Posts: 1490
Joined: 21 Aug 2008, 07:39
custom title: Big Dog Outfitters
Location: A small farm in BFE Virginia
Contact:

Re: New Military 5.56mm Rounds? M855A1?

Post by sabotteur » 29 Jun 2010, 10:19

Yeah, USMC is testing the SOST right now. We are actually going to be involved with that a little in my office. Don't know much on it yet, as we are still working out the program issues.

The M855A1 is copper, and for the life of me I forgot how much the damn thing weighs....we were just talking about it last week when I was up at MARCORSYSCOM. Damn thing is expensive...so when and if it hits the civie market expect it to be expensive and or be from a failed military lot.

The tracer version will have a different weight, which is one the big issues the USMC is having with the new round...part of why we are looking into the SOST. It took us over a year to get the lawyers to give the ok that we could get around the Geneva Convetion with the SOST as it OTM round that some consider to be a hollowpoint.

Anyway, when I get more info that I can actually release, I'll keep the board updated.

User avatar
blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
Posts: 10628
Joined: 11 Apr 2009, 14:28
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain
Contact:

Re: New Military 5.56mm Rounds? M855A1?

Post by blueorison » 29 Jun 2010, 10:32

sabotteur wrote:Yeah, USMC is testing the SOST right now. We are actually going to be involved with that a little in my office. Don't know much on it yet, as we are still working out the program issues.

The M855A1 is copper, and for the life of me I forgot how much the damn thing weighs....we were just talking about it last week when I was up at MARCORSYSCOM. Damn thing is expensive...so when and if it hits the civie market expect it to be expensive and or be from a failed military lot.

The tracer version will have a different weight, which is one the big issues the USMC is having with the new round...part of why we are looking into the SOST. It took us over a year to get the lawyers to give the ok that we could get around the Geneva Convetion with the SOST as it OTM round that some consider to be a hollowpoint.

Anyway, when I get more info that I can actually release, I'll keep the board updated.
It's supposed to replace the M855, so it should have the same weight and retain same zero, right? I think I read a report on it that it had VERY similar trajectory, so the current optics would still work. Lookin forward to your report, Charles!! :thumb:

The HP vs OTM semantics is still making me shake my head. :facepalm:
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

User avatar
jmz5
Site Admin
Posts: 11105
Joined: 18 Aug 2008, 21:26
custom title: Proprietor
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: New Military 5.56mm Rounds? M855A1?

Post by jmz5 » 29 Jun 2010, 11:15

Depending on the scarcity, I am definitely going to find at least one for my ammo collection.
كاف

User avatar
flyingirish04
Gold Member
Posts: 4783
Joined: 25 Aug 2008, 21:42
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland
Location: Great Plains, USA

Re: New Military 5.56mm Rounds? M855A1?

Post by flyingirish04 » 29 Jun 2010, 12:18

I know the 77 gr MOD1 rounds were a long time coming too. Since Mogadishu in fact. I don't doubt the lawyers were way into this round as well.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

User avatar
blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
Posts: 10628
Joined: 11 Apr 2009, 14:28
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain
Contact:

Re: New Military 5.56mm Rounds? M855A1?

Post by blueorison » 29 Jun 2010, 14:54

jmz5 wrote:Depending on the scarcity, I am definitely going to find at least one for my ammo collection.
Man I want a box to shoot! If I find one, JMZ, I'll keep a round for you and shoot the rest :) Promise.

Then I'll send you the brass so you can inspect it hahaha

But seriously, I saw the accuracy report for it with a 300 yd target WOW. It was lustful.

My only gripe is that now I'll have to listen to my tacticool friends tell me how it's the new cure for cancer. Better go buy new hearing protection, my foam buds are wearing out.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

Grantness
Senior Member
Posts: 4677
Joined: 19 Aug 2008, 09:13
Location: Virginia

Re: New Military 5.56mm Rounds? M855A1?

Post by Grantness » 29 Jun 2010, 15:14

Im pretty sure you can buy hunting ammo off the shelf that is just as good or better than the SOST.

User avatar
flyingirish04
Gold Member
Posts: 4783
Joined: 25 Aug 2008, 21:42
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland
Location: Great Plains, USA

Re: New Military 5.56mm Rounds? M855A1?

Post by flyingirish04 » 29 Jun 2010, 18:09

yep, you can.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

Surfgun
Junior Member
Posts: 15
Joined: 28 Feb 2009, 19:17

Re: New Military 5.56mm Rounds? M855A1?

Post by Surfgun » 30 Jun 2010, 17:55

As I understand this round it is has a bismuth core, steel tip and a jacket that is made of copper. The current primer may be leaded, but they intend to go lead free. I hope they develop a primer that does not go dead with age. Bad primers = dead combatants.

KiloTrooper
Junior Member
Posts: 98
Joined: 28 Jan 2010, 07:56
Location: Carlisle, PA

Re: New Military 5.56mm Rounds? M855A1?

Post by KiloTrooper » 02 Jul 2010, 10:08

Saw a write up in the Army Times this week on it. Its just another "green" bull--it. 62 gr. military ammo. So what?! It ain't freakin magic and it goes in the same rifles we already got. The real "savings" is to the environmental cost of tons of lead on military ranges that won't get cleaned up anytime soon.....

whatever.

Kilo

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest