corn er key holling

Forum for discussing factory & reloading non-5.7x28mm ammunition.
murphies_finest
custom title: King Thread Killer.

corn er key holling

Post by murphies_finest » 07 Sep 2009, 16:52

someone please explain to me what is "keyholing"?
Keep Working Millions on Welfare Depend on YOU.

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Re: corn er key holling

Post by Vortec MAX » 07 Sep 2009, 16:55

When the bullet hits the target sideways :?:

Mike

Grantness

Post by Grantness » 07 Sep 2009, 17:13

It can happen when you use bullets that are too heavy/long for the FsN (or what have you) to stabilize. Faster twist barrel, longer barrel, and adding more velocity are ways to fix the problem....and of course, you could use lighter bullets. Its odd, the conflicting reports that I've heard. Most people will tell you that the FsN won't stabilize a bullet over 55gr. Then I see load data for 60 & 70+ grain subsonic loads...that they say weren't keyholing. :?:

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 07 Sep 2009, 17:21

An unbalanced bullet will sometimes yaw and tumble (or if the barrel twist isn't correct) ; this is usually seen as "keyholing" in the target. The bullets leave elongated holes in the target as they strike at an angle. Once the bullet starts to tumble, accuracy is gone since the bullet will veer off in random directions. Not extreme changes for minute of bad guy distances though.

Here's a pic
http://www.kaneohegs.com/images/apr_23_9b.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.
Tactical Search Instructions & tips: http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12045

murphies_finest

Post by murphies_finest » 07 Sep 2009, 17:25

okay great input was reading the bad press about my tantal and had no clue as to what it was since alot of folks were complaining of this with the CIA rifles I have not checked mine on for that on the range yet other than fired to make sure it worked.

Wollychop

Post by Wollychop » 07 Sep 2009, 17:35

Keyholing can ALSO occur if something happens to the bullet after exiting the barrel, such as a baffle strike.

murphies_finest

Post by murphies_finest » 14 Jan 2010, 10:54

well my CIA polish tantal keyholes yay! as far as solving the problem goes im going to purchase a bulgarion parts set from atlantic firearms for about 300 thats cheaper than i have seen in the shotgun news.

VITALIY

Post by VITALIY » 15 Jan 2010, 09:01

What kind of ammo you shoot? If it is anything like surplus 53gr, than you need a new bbl, if it is 60+ gr, than yor bbl may be ok, and all you might need to do, is switch to a lighter bullit. Soviet block 70's surplus is a good one to try. I must tell you, it is dirty as hell, but function 100% :laugh:

murphies_finest

Post by murphies_finest » 15 Jan 2010, 12:06

VITALIY wrote:What kind of ammo you shoot? If it is anything like surplus 53gr, than you need a new bbl, if it is 60+ gr, than yor bbl may be ok, and all you might need to do, is switch to a lighter bullit. Soviet block 70's surplus is a good one to try. I must tell you, it is dirty as hell, but function 100% :laugh:
Im pretty sure it is the 53 grn bullet i bought a tin of 1080 for about 160 from the gunshow but i may try a heavier bullet. but really am gonna get the parts kit from atlantic

VITALIY

Post by VITALIY » 15 Jan 2010, 12:31

Now i,m 99.9% sure it's the shot out bbl. If the bparts kit is bulgarian, it must be good. I have RPK74 and AKS74 both build on bulgarian parts kits. Both function flawless.
I wish you a good luck. I know first hand how frostrating this kind of thing may be.

fatherfoof

Post by fatherfoof » 15 Jan 2010, 18:52

Speaking in general of all manner of handguns, since ammo from the factory varies so much, it is unavoidable. When we pushed troopers with issue weapon and ammo through qualification, we had almost none. However, since we made them also qualify on their personal off duty weapons, it was amazing how frequently quality guns would slap the target with name ammo. This is hundreds of troopers in a three week span and they all had a couple personal guns. One really can't assume all the correct caliber will be flawless in every gun.
Please PM Me for LE/Military Access

VITALIY

Post by VITALIY » 15 Jan 2010, 20:34

fatherfoof wrote:One really can't assume all the correct caliber will be flawless in every gun.
I agree.

murphies_finest

Post by murphies_finest » 12 Apr 2010, 07:27

Update I am shooting the 53 grn ammunition, as a quick fix I broke down this weekend and "shudders" purchased some wolf ammuntion the 60 grn ammo test fired my rifel at 15 thirty inch paces (we know its not accurate) without any keyholing and then I took it out to 45 paces and still no keyholing so i think it may be safe that im good to go with my rifle now and all I did was purchase a 6.75 box of 60 grain and a new front grip for 10 dollars.

murphies_finest

Post by murphies_finest » 14 Apr 2010, 05:29

I put two sets of speakers out to 70 paces used one for 53 grn (pics coming soon) and one for the 60.

53 grns went in clean and came out sideways hard to tell for a portion because shots were close together.

the 60 grn went in clean and came out clean.

User42

Post by User42 » 14 Apr 2010, 11:00

That sounds like good news, how many rounds did you test fire for each? If the 53 grain rounds are hollowpoints, they are intended to tumble in the target and you are only really worried about rounds entering cleanly.

Why shuddering about buying some wolf ammo? It's made on the russian military machines, and is actually cleaner to shoot than the 53 grain surplus considering it isn't corrosive. Now it's time for some 100 and 200 yard accuracy tests!
If a man dedicates his life to good deeds and the welfare of others, He will die unthanked and unremembered. If he exercises his genius bringing death and misery to billions, his name will echo down through the millennia for a hundred lifetimes.

murphies_finest

Post by murphies_finest » 14 Apr 2010, 11:58

User42 wrote:That sounds like good news, how many rounds did you test fire for each? If the 53 grain rounds are hollowpoints, they are intended to tumble in the target and you are only really worried about rounds entering cleanly.

Why shuddering about buying some wolf ammo? It's made on the russian military machines, and is actually cleaner to shoot than the 53 grain surplus considering it isn't corrosive. Now it's time for some 100 and 200 yard accuracy tests!

I test in groups of five its easier for me to track, the 53's are not HP and are really hit in miss sometimes they keyhole and other times they dont on paper, with the compensator off the 53 grn can be placed in the barrel up to the case mouth, whereas witht he 60 grn wolf there is a bout an 1/16th-1/8 gap between barrel and case mouth. Im am well aware of the wolf being cleaner than the military ammo by far but it is still some dirty stuff! i know you know this.