Shipping Ammo

Forum for discussing factory & reloading non-5.7x28mm ammunition.
Grantness

Shipping Ammo

Post by Grantness » 01 Feb 2009, 15:44

*sorry, i know this subject has been discussed before....but I cant find it, and I figured it would make for a helpful thread anyways.*

What is the procedure for shipping ammo non-ffl to non-ffl? Are there any differences between USPS and FedEx/UPS/DSL? Recommendations?

Esteves
Wiki Moderator
custom title: Shhh!

Re: Shipping Ammo

Post by Esteves » 01 Feb 2009, 16:36

USPS won't ship ammo.

I use UPS (no reason other than I already have a login ID and our regular driver likes the 5.7x28mm and we usually chat a bit.) It should be marked ORM-D. Ship using ground service (no air). UPS stores "won't" take it, so I usually give it directly to the driver.

YMMV.
--
S
© 2005-2017 Esteves

Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative,
and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want
people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

5Jeffro7

Post by 5Jeffro7 » 01 Feb 2009, 17:56

I know some of the regs are confusing, but I'll speak of only what I know....FedEx.

There is a LOT of confusing information with regargs to shipping ammo via FedEx, and everything I state, has either been learned from their FAQ's or directly from their customer service agents.

In order to ship ammo, you must have an account (without an account, you cannot simply package it up and take it to a FedEx terminal to ship as they won't accept it from non account holders).

You must arrange for a carrier pickup or take the package(s) to the local terminal-FedEx/Kinkos locations are not allowed to accept ammunition & its a very good possibility tyhat if you attempt to use a FedEx drop box, you could have your account terminated.

All packages (as stated above) SHOULD be marked ORM-D on several sides of the package (I go to http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsfo ... -Ammo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; where I've got the choice of 3 different styles of labels, and print them out on self-adhesive label paper. this necessitates cutting out the individual labels, but considering the xost of buying labels, its well worth it)

When shipping Ammunition, it is not considered "hazzardous material", so don't be confused into shipping it as HazMat, thus almost doubling the cost

You might want to avoid shipping to AK or HI: All other shipments must go ground, however, AK & HI, due to their location, must go air. Because it is ammo & going Air, it is then necessary to ship as a Hazardous Material. In addition to the higher fees for ground, the HazMat fee for ammo going air is an additional $32.50. HI is obvious why it must go air, the reason for necessitating air shipment to AK is a little more convoluted: If shipping to AK, ground transportation can be used, however, it goes through a foreign country (canada). Canada will seize ammunition, regardless of where it is going or from where. As a "seller", you'd have to refund the monies & be out both the funds as well as the product...not economically viable.

I did a “lets see” for a 2# shipment (6x6x6) from Illinois to Honolulu & Anchorage. per fedex rules, it can only go either priority overnight or 2-day (for "Inaccessible dangerous goods-inaccessible meaning that the package doesn't have to remain accessible to fedex during the entire shipping process-think live plants or animals)...HI 2-day service: $68.54, overnight: $93.47; AK 2-day service: $$68.54, Standard overnight: $88.40, Priority overnight: $109.54

sorry for the lengthy post-hope this can help at least one person out

Jeff

gotants

Post by gotants » 01 Feb 2009, 18:36

Esteves wrote: UPS stores "won't" take it
Don't tell the guys at my local store. I have shipped and received without ant problems. Heck, the ammo can I got from Ray (w/ss192 inside) only had clear tape keeping it shut.

So, no probs here with UPS. (yes, I tell them what I`m shipping)

MGL2
Banned
custom title: Rim-job giver

Post by MGL2 » 02 Feb 2009, 09:27

There have been a lot of inquiries into how to ship ammunition and questioning whether you can ship it at all with today’s transportation laws. Well, we did some extensive research to get the correct answer for you and here it is:

According to UPS, shipping ammunition is allowed, but there are some stipulations. The stipulations are not put in place by UPS, but instead, by the Department of Transportation. The D.O.T. has a classification called Title 49 CFR that spells out the details. We have summarized those details for you specific to shipping ammunition. FedEx has the same requirements, but also wants you to include a “Shippers Declaration for Dangerous Goods” form which is on their site if you do a search for “Dangerous Goods Forms”. The USPS follows the D.O.T. requirements but in talking to some of the USPS locations, the managers stated they would not accept the packages anyway in this day and age, so we recommend only using UPS or FedEx to ship ammo.

Title 49 CFR states in Chapter 1, section 173.63 the packaging exceptions to full regulation. Under that section, (b) Cartridges, small arms, may be reclassed, and offered for transportation, and transported as ORM–D material when packaged in accordance with paragraph (b)(2) of this section; such transportation is excepted from the requirements of subparts E (Labeling) of part 172 of this subchapter. Cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices that may be shipped as ORM–D material is limited to:

Under this “limited to” section, there is item (i) Ammunition for rifle, pistol or shotgun; and (iv) Ammunition not exceeding 12.7 mm (50 caliber or 0.5 inch) for rifle or pistol, cartridges or 8 gauge for shot shells.

This is the critical part to shipping ammunition. If it is 50 caliber or less, or 8 gauge or less, UPS will take the shipment in a sturdy box marked with a ORM-D, Cartridges, Small Arms label on the outside of the box. UPS does recommend using this label as opposed to a regular ORM-D label from our research and inquiries to UPS themselves. Part 172, subchapter E states the label should be affixed near the shipping address location on the package. By placing it here, the carrier will see it as they direct the package to the correct location during shipment.

Now, under section 173.115, part (v) it states that cartridges, and 22 caliber rim-fire cartridges may be packaged loose in strong outside packaging. The label marking is the same as above.

There have been a lot of questions about Hazardous Material training for shipping ORM-D materials. This is a true fact. UPS or any other carrier does not require training. It is required by the D.O.T. and is listed under section 172.74 were the training can be performed by yourself and all you need to have is a documented record of the following:

* Hazmat employee name
* Training date
* Copy of the training materials
* Name and address of person providing training (This can be yourself)
* A certificate showing the employee is trained. (This can be made in house)

A description of the training is found at hazmat.dot.gov on the Internet without the www and click on rules and regulations. The key part of the in house training is you don’t have to pay someone to train you. Just read this section and put together the emergency contacts, and procedures in case there is a issue. Easy stuff. With that, anyone can ship ammunition with ease, and the correct way.

Key resources for this ammunition shipping guideline included UPS through their hazardous materials department at 800-554-9964, FedEx 800.463.3339 through Dangerous Goods, USPS local locations and the Department of Transportation Classification division at 800-467-4922 and the Office of Hazardous Materials Safety on line at hazmat.dot.gov were all the documentation is listed. Knowing how to ship ammunition or ammo the correct way is important.

Grantness

Post by Grantness » 02 Feb 2009, 09:57

wow...thank guys! I couldnt have asked for better information :thumb:

panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.

Post by panzermk2 » 02 Feb 2009, 10:00

Sticker should be white back round and blue text.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

Grantness

Post by Grantness » 02 Feb 2009, 10:06

anyone got a link to one like panzer describes?

MrSlippyFist
Global Moderator
custom title: Sweeper

Post by MrSlippyFist » 02 Feb 2009, 10:10

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&f ... a=N&tab=wi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Embrace the Suck

foulsevent

Post by foulsevent » 11 Feb 2011, 01:27

You should use shipping that has an insurance and secured. It is not really matter if it is fast or not. So, I think you can use UPS, or FedEx for shipping the package.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 11 Feb 2011, 17:54

Zombie thread!!!! Wow, this one was 2 years dead :laugh:

Just messing w/you foulsevent. Good to know people still read these old things & the info isn't wasted :D
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.
Tactical Search Instructions & tips: http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12045