tight chamber solutions

Forum for discussing factory & reloading non-5.7x28mm ammunition.
NYPD3765

tight chamber solutions

Post by NYPD3765 » 27 Dec 2011, 20:52

I just bought a Kimber Raptor 2 in 5", I have been reloading for about 30 years and haven't had much problems with the technical aspects. I had big problems with reloading for this tight chambered Kimber in .45 auto,unlike my Glock 30 & 21, and my H&K usp .45. which feed and fire everything I throw at them. The slide on the kimber wasn't closing all the way,and the bullet specked out to .475 where the bullet was seated in the case. I was a little stumped, I adjusted and readjusted my Lee seating taper crimping die. I later found out my Lee die was manufactured before 1986 and had some issues. Also I had over 1000 pre-made rounds made with those dies. I bought a Lee factory crimp die. It post sizes and taper crimps the newly made or previously made bullets to true factory specs. Even if I replace that aging,poorly made pre '86 lee die I would continue to use this die as it really brings my ammo to factory specs. It comes in many different calibers for rifle and pistol. I have been miking all my friends reloads. they are within specs but still tight in my Kimber. After Lee FCD those samples fed without issues. For me this is a better solution than a re-ream of the match grade chamber.