Help on Ammo

Forum for discussing factory & reloading non-5.7x28mm ammunition.
RetiredBadge

Help on Ammo

Post by RetiredBadge » 22 Dec 2011, 02:16

I bought some cheaper ammo so I can get used to the pistol. I bough 300 round for practice. I am mailing my LEO credentials to Elite Ammo Momday. Until then I would like to purchase some ammo that was close to the LEO ammo.

What are some suggestions.

RB

Buffman
Silver Member

Re: Help on Ammo

Post by Buffman » 22 Dec 2011, 12:12

Closest you can get is SS198LF, which I think is $25.00 a box with LEO creds.

RetiredBadge

Post by RetiredBadge » 23 Dec 2011, 20:24

Thank you, which ammo will get me close to the LEO ammo?

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 24 Dec 2011, 10:25

SS195/SS192 is the closest you can get to SS198 in terms of velocity. Otherwise S4M is faster than SS198.

MrSlippyFist
Global Moderator
custom title: Sweeper

Post by MrSlippyFist » 24 Dec 2011, 12:51

If you're just breaking in the pistol and getting familiar with it, I would recommend whats cheapest and get/shoot as much as you can. You won't see much difference between 198 and 192/197. It's basically collectors ammo that people are hawking for extra cash because its collectability FAR suprasses any perceived extra performance.

However, once you get your paws on some Elite Ammunition, you will see an enormous difference.
Embrace the Suck

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Post by Cyberfly » 25 Dec 2011, 00:05

Yeah, Slippy's right. I think the SS198 is slightly better than civilian market stuff, but in reality, not enough to justify jumping through the hoops to get it (unless of course, you're going to order a couple of cases of it). If you want to see remarkable increase in performance, then you really need to switch to Elite Ammo.
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

RetiredBadge

Post by RetiredBadge » 25 Dec 2011, 22:47

MrSlippyFist wrote:If you're just breaking in the pistol and getting familiar with it, I would recommend whats cheapest and get/shoot as much as you can. You won't see much difference between 198 and 192/197. It's basically collectors ammo that people are hawking for extra cash because its collectability FAR suprasses any perceived extra performance.

However, once you get your paws on some Elite Ammunition, you will see an enormous difference.
I guess this was the answer I was looking for. I just did not know how to ask what I wanted to know. Old age catches up quick.

I am getting for LEO ID ready to send off to Elite Ammo. I did however ordered and received some ProtecTOR III. Praying not to have to shoot this much with the amount of money it cost me.
I will save it for the special bad folks.

Now I am working on the safety. Carried revolvers most of my career. I have always loved 1911's, but this safety is completely different.

Thanks folks. :thumb:

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 25 Dec 2011, 23:00

Best wishes on your ammo choice from EA. If you have ANY questions at all, please do not hesitate to ask. If you do not wish to ask on the open forum, you can always PM me and I will do my best to help. I have shot many of EA's ammo that is in their catalog... and those that aren't...

A note on your comment on the manual safety; When I show people how to shoot the FsN, I teach them not to use the safety.

This may be my preference, but the safety, in my opinion, is often misused and forgotten-to-be-disabled. Even with training.

When I use a neuralyzer (shot timer), you can see the pressure and stress cause the individual to forget to deactivate the safety and go immediately for the shot/trigger.

This was proven during a match I held a few months ago. I asked everyone to deactivate their safeties for a test. Many did not, as they preferred to carry with safety-on. This was their prerogative.

Thus, we have on film many users of the FsN looking silly while expecting booms with their safety on, jerking the deactivated trigger over and over again :D

Don't take my word for it... there are eye-witnesses on the forum...

that said, always do what works for you, as long as it is safe for everyone. :thumb:
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.