why is all the good ammo out of stock?

Forum for discussing factory & reloading non-5.7x28mm ammunition.
jnomad66

why is all the good ammo out of stock?

Post by jnomad66 » 07 Mar 2011, 15:46

So, I recently purchased a glock 17 gen 4, and am looking for some good JHP's for CCW. I love my 5.7, but the 9mm is so much cheaper to own and practice with, it just makes sense to carry it. After some research, ive decided I want either 127g +p+, or 147g rounds, and I really want to try out some Winchester RA9T and RA9TA.

Does anyone know someplace that they can be ordered from? Everywhere I look is out of stock.

SeaHawkDriver-B
Location: Embarked on 2 acres of floating Soverign US Territory

Re: why is all the good ammo out of stock?

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 07 Mar 2011, 15:56

Good ammo is always out of stock becuase a good portion of our population is preparing for the inevitable SHTF/WROL scenerio.

I have noticed the sgammo.com stocks a large variety of the Winchester Ranger series, as well as most other SHTF style rounds. FMJ target plinking rounds in most calibers are cheaply bought at any Wal Mart.

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 07 Mar 2011, 16:31

I use 9mm HST, so can't help you. But Hornady has some great FTX out that is all over here in ND. We have plenty of solid SD rounds on the shelf. No rush on ammo here.

I wouldn't use the FMJ Walmart WInchester stuff. It is crap.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

jnomad66

Post by jnomad66 » 07 Mar 2011, 16:56

Thanks, I just checked SGammo.com, they have what im looking for, decent price too. If their shipping prices are reasonable, I think we have a winner.

ynoty3k
custom title: Hoplophile

Post by ynoty3k » 07 Mar 2011, 17:46

SeaHawkDriver-B wrote:Good ammo is always out of stock becuase a good portion of our population is preparing for the inevitable SHTF/WROL scenerio.
No, not really. Just the population of barf.com

murphies_finest
custom title: King Thread Killer.

Post by murphies_finest » 08 Mar 2011, 06:09

i dont know tony I dont mess with those guys at all and have around 500 per weapon.

SeaHawkDriver-B
Location: Embarked on 2 acres of floating Soverign US Territory

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 08 Mar 2011, 06:23

I'm trying to stock up to around 2000 per caliber in 9mm and .45, and about 4000 in 5.56... a smattering of 12 ga and 7.62x51 will top me off.

I'm not on barf.com but maybe I should be?

jnomad66

Post by jnomad66 » 08 Mar 2011, 10:23

Why all the hatred for ar15.com? There are some good resources there, if your into 5.56. Although you should avoid any discussion of m193 vs m855 vs ss109, they turn into flame wars fast.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 08 Mar 2011, 10:40

jnomad66 wrote:Why all the hatred for ar15.com? There are some good resources there, if your into 5.56. Although you should avoid any discussion of m193 vs m855 vs ss109, they turn into flame wars fast.
THAT is why there is hatred for ARFcom and that is not the only subject it happens with. Plus there are a lot of poser/mall ninja types over there. Yes, if you want to take the time to sort through everything and can tolerate the flamers then more power to you.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 08 Mar 2011, 10:48

As with (most) any forum there is a good deal of knowledge and some excellent members over at AR15.com I'm sure. There are just some forums *cough*FNForum.net*cough* that are maybe not "worse" but uh "less good" :laugh:

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 08 Mar 2011, 11:09

jnomad66 wrote:Why all the hatred for ar15.com? There are some good resources there, if your into 5.56. Although you should avoid any discussion of m193 vs m855 vs ss109, they turn into flame wars fast.
Actually, it just sounds like he's stating facts.

Ponder the percentage of people who actually train, research, create progress versus people who say they'll do it one day, call mag dumping "practice", have never shot a rifle past 100 yds, etc. and rely on OTHERS to do the training and research for them that they could be doing themselves but are too timid.

Of course, there are good resources on the site. There are many vendors that sponsor them and most of the good information come from those vendors and their staff and the actual warfighters. Al large population sit and bicker over calibers and rounds, salivate over what weapons to use in event of a zombie attack, and order more Hornady to stockpile for their stash they hardly have the skill to use. On this forum when we want to answer a question we load up a round and go test it ourselves, then report. Over there they rely on a select few to actually do the reporting for them.

I find that people that come over here from there think we have some "superiority" complex and they are incredibly hypersensitive (see: butthurt) to actual informative responses that are not offensive at all. It seems that some are just not used to actual truth-speaking rather than babysitting.

There is a reason why forums like Lightfigher exist. To put up barricades for the purpose of keeping those people out. The ones that get high off vicariously living through a "military" mindset wherein they simply buy Level IV plates and parade around.

This is just my personal opinion. I have many friends on that site. They are good people, and not part of the ignorant majority.

______

Let us know if the ammo works out for you! HST works great and their velocities are surprisingly very close to the published ones. (I tested them out of a 4" bbl; I expect all ammunition companies to test out of a full sized 5" bbl and plus, they tend to publish higher than actual velocities). Winchester Ranger SXT Gen 4 looks great, I will have to get a box or two and test the different grainers. RCBD, Pow'r Ball, Buffalo Bore, and Double Tap are the velocity pushers. I like fast, light rounds, but when they aren't rifle rounds like the 5.7x28mm, I truly want to test them on media to check out their impact characteristics.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

romer522

Post by romer522 » 08 Mar 2011, 11:14

There's some good sections of ar15.com, not so bad if you ignore most of the areas that contain all the BS.

romer522

Post by romer522 » 08 Mar 2011, 11:20

To answer the OP here you go :thumb:

http://www.kylesgunshop.com/store.php?s ... er=5&num=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php ... mo/sort/2a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 08 Mar 2011, 11:35

ar15armory, where EA is also a sponsor, has substantially less morons that seem the gravitate to barf.com. 68forums.com also runs low on dipsticks.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 08 Mar 2011, 11:48

Sorry to hijack your thread :p

m4carbine is a pretty good resource with more... "adults" :)

I found this place: http://www.smokewagongear.com/p-1927-wi ... of-50.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

it has better prices than most. Let me know if it works out for you!
Shoot more, worry less.

murphies_finest
custom title: King Thread Killer.

Post by murphies_finest » 13 Mar 2011, 06:41

just joined m4carbine.

fatherfoof

Post by fatherfoof » 14 Mar 2011, 00:07

Gawdy love, how'd we get so far off post""? I will not carry a 9mm, but if that is your choice, enjoy. All the premiums will work if you shoot right. Everyone here will disargree, but in a 9 the military through and through concept on a cardiovascular/cranial shot is perfect. Problem is, none of us who have been in real gun battles can claim to be certain to make such shots. Just get premium anybrand. It will work while you cal 911.
Please PM Me for LE/Military Access

Valorius
Banned
custom title: 5.7 proponent

Post by Valorius » 12 Apr 2011, 10:41

I like Corbon Powrball in 9mm. In my P7 it chronos at 1500fps and 500fpe of energy, and shoots very flat due to it's velocity. The gel tests i've seen show .64" expansion and 12.1" penetration. This round actually outperforms some factory .357 magnum loads in velocity, energy, and penetration.

As a bonus, it won't clog on clothing, and has a FMJ feed profile for maximum reliability.

The reason i really like it though, is because all the local gunshops carry it. :)

If you're a believer in "pressure wave wounding", the Corbon Powrball is the only round in 9mm that meets the criteria of 500fpe energy release per 12" penetration, yet still meets the FBI 12" minimum penetration standard.
Last edited by Valorius on 12 Apr 2011, 10:44, edited 1 time in total.

Bones
custom title: Bones

Post by Bones » 12 Apr 2011, 10:44

Yes sir! :thumb: Power ball is GRRRRRREAT :D

Valorius
Banned

Post by Valorius » 12 Apr 2011, 10:46

The only complaint i have with Powrball is that i wish the bullet was a bonded core type. I've seen some water tests where the bullet shed's it's jacket. Still, i think at this time, it is the best self defense hollowpoint on the market in 9mm.

Standard pressure 147gr 9mm makes no sense to me at all, unless you want the most anemic and underpowered rounds the caliber has to offer. So if the goal is to make your 9mm into a .38spl performance wise, the 147gr is a great choice.

I much prefer the lightweight +P and +P+ offerings in 9mm to get the energy up to nearly .357 magnum levels.

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 12 Apr 2011, 10:58

Not sure why you're discounting 147gr 9mm? It expands very well (HST .75") and has no problems penetrating 12"...

Valorius
Banned

Post by Valorius » 12 Apr 2011, 13:34

Because the OP mentioned he might consider using that weight.

A lot of people put stock in the amount of energy a round delivers. When compared to the lighter +P+ loadings, 147gr is very low powered ammunition in 9mm.

That's why.

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 12 Apr 2011, 17:56

Well energy is one thing, but ballistic testing is another. Quite a few tests show 147gr 9mm to be as good if not better than your lighter loading +p rounds. .75" Diameter and 12+ inches is fine by me.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 12 Apr 2011, 18:10

Did you mean .357SIG or Magnum?
Shoot more, worry less.

Valorius
Banned

Post by Valorius » 13 Apr 2011, 01:05

Buffman wrote:Well energy is one thing, but ballistic testing is another. Quite a few tests show 147gr 9mm to be as good if not better than your lighter loading +p rounds. .75" Diameter and 12+ inches is fine by me.

If you are a believer in pressure wave wounding the +P+ rds are the way to go.

To each their own, i don't want to get hit with any of them.