Mossberg 500 problems

The section for big boomers.
Sniperjoe
Gold Member
custom title: What is love?

Mossberg 500 problems

Post by Sniperjoe » 14 Oct 2008, 15:03

So i went to my place upstate a few weeks ago, went to the range and fired off my mossy a few times, the first couple of times there was no problem, then i noticed it was starting to jam. Now i have never had a jam in this gun ever so i sort of just let it go, it kept happening. :wall: so now im getting pissed. I take the thing home and i notice the top of the inside of the reciver is scratched and dented. So idiot me decided to pump it a few times to see whats the problem and it seems like like the bolt is hitting the top of the reciver but now its so bad i cant pump it at all :furious:. The only thing I personally think may have caused the problem was my sh*tty side saddles screw got stripped which just so happens to be the thing that replaced my trigger housing pin, so idk if that could have anything to do with the problem or what. Now ive ben meaning to post this for a while but lazy ass me decided to wait till now (right around hunting season :cry: ) to do it. So if anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this it would be greatly aperreicated :)

stg2ahn

Re: Mossberg 500 problems

Post by stg2ahn » 14 Oct 2008, 20:32

sounds like a QUALIFIED gunsmith should look at it, or if the cost is too high to repair, I would just get a new mossberg.

Maybe send it into mossberg. Mossberg, I heard, has great customer service and they might just replace the bolt or even give you a new shotgun. You might be surprised what they do for you.

good luck and update us please.. I love mossbergs. American quality, with made in china prices!!! :thumb: :cool: :D

ArtosDracon
Banned

Post by ArtosDracon » 14 Oct 2008, 22:30

I'd say call mossberg. My 500 had feeding issues about a year ago, had to pay shipping there but, they picked up shipping back when the found what was wrong. I don't actually remember what broke, but it was obvious to them that it was a factory issue so they fixed her and sent her back, i was only out like $40 for shipping, and she was like new again. They didn't even flinch at the modifications. She had a top folding stock with pistol grip, top rail for a red-dot, a vertical front grip and tube extension.

Sniperjoe
Gold Member

Post by Sniperjoe » 15 Oct 2008, 06:31

the only problem with sending it back is that it was purchased in the 80s by my father lol. He gave it to me about a year and a half to two years ago. I realy dont think the warranty will still be good. Idk, i never field stripped the thing, i figure i may as well learn how to feild strip it, then maby i can find out if its a simple bs problem. I got a very good freind of mine who comes up with us hunting all the time whose in the coast guard and i know he had some experiance with them, maby he can help as well :ponder:

Worst comes to worst im going to have to bring it to a smith, but its just un fu*king beliveable that this would happen :(

A new mossberg is sort of out of the question because this was my first gun, i cant just buy a new one like that.

ArtosDracon
Banned

Post by ArtosDracon » 15 Oct 2008, 06:55

a 20 year old mossy that hasn't been well cleaned in the last two years, I'd say there's a decent chance that it needs to be completely torn down, check all the parts, big or little, for anything thats out of spec. I'd say in the very least, a few springs need replacing.

Sniperjoe
Gold Member

Post by Sniperjoe » 15 Oct 2008, 07:02

ArtosDracon wrote:a 20 year old mossy that hasn't been well cleaned in the last two years, I'd say there's a decent chance that it needs to be completely torn down, check all the parts, big or little, for anything thats out of spec. I'd say in the very least, a few springs need replacing.

yea, idk, i mean it gets fired only about 5-6 times a year but your probly right. the only reason i was blaming the fu*king side saddle trigger houseing pin was because it fu*ked up on me the same day the mossy busted. Idk im going to probly, as you said, strip the damn thing. Oh and btw theres a decent chance it hasnt ben well cleaned in the past 20 years lol :( , my old man dont realy mess with his guns to much. il take some pictures if i dont fix it, maby even a video of the problem if i cant fix it. I think il post an older pic of the thing on in a little while

Llagoud
custom title: A is A

Post by Llagoud » 15 Oct 2008, 07:54

I think I have a Mossberg 500 Amorers DVD around here somewhere.....

edit: yup, found it. It was under the cat.

AGI Technical Manual & Armorer's Course-Mossberg 500 Series Shotguns

w/ printable schematic

Sniperjoe
Gold Member

Post by Sniperjoe » 15 Oct 2008, 16:35

Llagoud wrote:I think I have a Mossberg 500 Amorers DVD around here somewhere.....

edit: yup, found it. It was under the cat.

AGI Technical Manual & Armorer's Course-Mossberg 500 Series Shotguns

w/ printable schematic
i think i got that, just never botherd to watch it lol, now might be a good time to though

stg2ahn

Post by stg2ahn » 15 Oct 2008, 16:56

I am sure youtube got some videos out there that might help you

Boxing Buffalo
Banned

Post by Boxing Buffalo » 16 Oct 2008, 13:45

Two or three times I've had a problem with my brand new 500.

What happens is you'll fire, and when you go to eject the spent cartridge the slide won't move. The magazine release will be stuck in the release position. The only way you can get the shell to eject is to muscle it. I think it's just needing broken in as the gun doesn't even have 100 rounds through her yet. But, when I go to clean her this week I'll be doing some closer inspecting for odd wear.

Like all the other guys, I'd suggest calling Mossberg and sending it in.

Sniperjoe
Gold Member

Post by Sniperjoe » 20 Oct 2008, 18:32

WOW, do i feel like an asshole. I go upstate with my freind, reeady to strip the whole thing, figure out whats wrong etc. when as im looking for the directions he goes "is this the problem" and twists the little screw inside the reciver and all of a sudden it works like new. It turns out the bolt was running into the little screw (which was loose because of that stupid side saddle) and that was causing the problem :( . Well at least the mossys fixed so thats good :D

How i didnt see that before is beyond me but thanks for your help everyone, i do appreciate it :)

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 20 Oct 2008, 19:18

Its always the small/simple things that cause the biggest problems :)

jmz5
Site Admin
custom title: Proprietor

Post by jmz5 » 21 Oct 2008, 04:38

Glad you got it operational.
كاف

stg2ahn

Post by stg2ahn » 21 Oct 2008, 07:14

I always get a lil rusty when it comes to cleaning/taking apart my shotgun. Just don't do it much at all.
gosh a pistol is so much easier
:laugh:
Glad your problem is solved.

Sniperjoe
Gold Member

Post by Sniperjoe » 21 Oct 2008, 16:18

f3rr37 wrote:Its always the small/simple things that cause the biggest problems :)
yea, especialy when your as stupid as i am :D lol

jmz5 wrote:Glad you got it operational.
Thank you, hopefully it STAYS operational lol

stg2ahn wrote:I always get a lil rusty when it comes to cleaning/taking apart my shotgun. Just don't do it much at all.
gosh a pistol is so much easier
:laugh:
Glad your problem is solved.
yea, plus i got a colapsible stock with a pistol grip on mine that blocks the trigger houseing, so id have to take the buttstock off as well :wall: , but thankfuly it didnt come to that :D.

Never cleaned a pistol, but so far, to me the AK is by far the easyest thing 2 clean :D