.243 Ackley Improved

Talk about your favorite longguns here.
dtask

.243 Ackley Improved

Post by dtask » 01 Oct 2008, 07:08

I know that there are a lot of members who know a whole lot more than I do about different calibers and rifles, so I figured that I'd float this one by you all: What exactly is an ACK IMP or Ackley Improved .243? Is it worth trading my DPMS A3 lite along with my other DPMS upper (DPMS Bull Sweet 16) to get one that was built by Precision Guns (I guess they do everything for Impact Guns & many others)? The rifle is new and my DPMS rifle/uppers are close to new. :?:

murphies_finest
custom title: King Thread Killer.

Re: .243 Ackley Improved

Post by murphies_finest » 01 Oct 2008, 12:08

If im thinking correctly on this one the .243 ackly improved is whats called a "wild cat" round meaning you wont find it at the store, you will have to reload it yourself or find a reloader. "wild cat rounds" are made by the reloaders imagination or also by taking a common round such as the .243 and necking it up or down or changing the propellants inside the cartridge to get different performance out of it. if i had my "cartridges of the world" book I would be able to give you a better answer. but Im sure someone else will chime in shortly to correct/elaborate for me.
Keep Working Millions on Welfare Depend on YOU.

dtask

Post by dtask » 01 Oct 2008, 13:35

I've got that book and this round isn't even in it!

So far from what I've read today on the internet about the round, the .243ai is made from "fire formed" brass - factory loaded "parent" cartridges (in this case the .243) fired through the rifle which apparently reshapes the neck to where it needs to be so that you can then reload it. It can then be loaded with more powder to make it faster and more accurate.

The particular rifle that I am considering trading for is a custom build on a Remington 700 SA receiver that is supposedly been broken in properly but not shot much after that. The guy trading it is the original owner, but I want to know if a rifle like this is worth my lower and two uppers.

I have reloading equipment, so it being a wildcat isn't too much of an issue, but what I don't want to do is make a big mistake on the trade and regret it. I have to meet the guy and make a final decision by Friday, so I was hoping that I could get some forum members insight & opinions.

murphies_finest
custom title: King Thread Killer.

Post by murphies_finest » 01 Oct 2008, 17:22

I would trade maybe 1 upper and pay the rest in cash if you want it bad enough but a remington 700 I dont think I would give up a full rifle and a half.
Keep Working Millions on Welfare Depend on YOU.

dtask

Post by dtask » 01 Oct 2008, 19:20

Yeah, that is basically what I'm wrestling with. I have this idea, which may be better described as a perception, that DPMS rifles are "cheap". But really that isn't based on any bad experience - just a feeling, kinda like Wolf ammo is dirt ammo and then buying Wolf Gold for my 6.5 and still not being able to think of it as anything but cheap dirt ammo regardless of the fact that I haven't had any issue with it whatsoever.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.

Post by panzermk2 » 03 Oct 2008, 09:33

.243 Ackley Improved is one hell of a round.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

SpaceCoyote

Post by SpaceCoyote » 20 Nov 2008, 16:00

My cousin has a .219 Zipper Ackley Improved. There's one you can't get at wal-mart. If I'm not mistaken "Ackley Improved" has to do with modifying the case to accept more powder.

Ariac

Post by Ariac » 20 Nov 2008, 22:08

Never shot one myself, but my dad said he had a rifle in the calibur. He wishes he never got rid of it. Great round from what he said, dropped a lot of game.