Holy EFF!!! ACR!!?!?!?!!!!

Talk about your favorite longguns here.
MrSlippyFist
Global Moderator
custom title: Sweeper

Re: Holy EFF!!! ACR!!?!?!?!!!!

Post by MrSlippyFist » 18 Mar 2010, 08:55

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQwaXVdPFe4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Embrace the Suck

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 18 Mar 2010, 09:03

Photoshop'd.

ynoty3k
custom title: Hoplophile

Post by ynoty3k » 18 Mar 2010, 17:32

f3rr37 wrote:Photoshop'd.
was there any sarcasm in that fuzzy?

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 18 Mar 2010, 17:34

ynoty3k wrote:
f3rr37 wrote:Photoshop'd.
was there any sarcasm in that fuzzy?
:facepalm: Yes.

SamM

Re: New Bushmaster ACR

Post by SamM » 29 Sep 2011, 22:19

My experience with Bushmaster rifles has been the opposite of what has been reported here and I have carried them for many, MANY years. I've been a fan of the Bushmaster AR since I carried one in Army Basic Training many years ago. Not sure how it ended up in FT. Jackson, SC but I did carry one there. Could have been a replacement lower or something like that. Anyway, I've never had a failure of any kind with any of my Bushmaster AR rifles. A year ago, I gave my daughter my last Bushmaster M4 as a Christmas present. At that point I bought a new SIG556 Classic for myself. After shooting the SIG for quite awhile I decided that it was a real piece of crap. Bad fitting upper and lower parts, terrible accuracy and the general cheapness of the weapon killed it for me. The aluminum lower was horrible. I purchased a new VLTOR lower receiver to build a new AR for myself and sold both the SIG556 and it's 522 little brother. I loved the 522 but without the 556 I saw no reason to keep the 522. I was content to just build another AR and forget modern weaponary.

When I started building up the VLTOR lower I noticed a few oddites of that weapon too. It's a little different than a regular AR. The AR platform is great and I love them but it's the 21st century. After thinking about it, I need something a little more modern than ARs and AKs. What I ended up with is a new Bushmaster ACR Basic Folder. It cost me $2100 which is pricey but I sold the SIGs and 2 Glocks. This thing shoots pretty good. For now, I'm just looking for 200 yard battlerifle accuracy and it's good. The platform is too new for anything else right now. Once the aftermarket catches up, we'll see if more is possible.

To sum up, my daughter now has a complete VLTOR lower receiver that I will build using all new VLTOR parts, a Noveske barrel and an Adams Arms piston kit. Her Bushmaster is now mine and I have stripped it down. I will use Magpul parts to build that rifle along with another Adams Arms piston kit. My new ACR barrel has been taken off and shipped out to be cutdown to 14.5". It will be recontoured, dimpled, recoated (I didn't like the blued finish) and will get a new AAC Blackout suppressor pinned on it. The picture shows the ACR with my long-range optic, a Vortex Viper PST MRAD scope. The ACR will get a new red dot to keep the weight down to the minimum. The Gen 1 Magpul site will go and new Gen 2 sights will go on the ACR. A new Enhanced ACR handguard will also go on it. I've experienced no failures to this point but honestly, I've only put 100 rds through the ACR. The modular feature clearly sets it apart from everything else even the SCAR (it requires tools to change the barrel the ACR doesn't). All my other semi-auto rifles except the ACR and the Bushy AR are gone. All my AKs (3) have been given away to friends or traded. There simply is no reason to keep that many weapons, as I am trying to streamline my thinking. I can only shoot one at a time, why not make it the modular multi-caliber. When the 6.8SPC conversion kit is available, I'll jump on that. Hopefully the 7.62X39 won't be far behind and my Bulgarian waffle mags are waiting patiently. I see no reason to even think about the 5.45X39 cartridge anymore and I've got a case of it laying here. I'll probably give it to the friend that got my Russian AK74.

Here's the ACR with my 5.7 pistol.

SamM

Visceral_Malice

Post by Visceral_Malice » 30 Sep 2011, 18:29

I wanted the ACR so badly when it was the Masada. Once Bushmaster got involved they took away the cool stuff that made it stand out and cheapened it. It doesn't offer enough over any other piston AR to warrant the price IMO. Quick change barrels are useless with out the mythical conversion barrels.

SamM

Post by SamM » 30 Sep 2011, 21:13

So, the conversion barrels and bolts will never become available?

Honestly, I don't need the conversion parts today. I'm patient enough to wait while they workout the bugs, to get them right. The 6.8SPC barrels were supposed to be available in Nov. 2011. Apparently Bushmaster has pushed that back to Jan. 2012. I can wait. It's no big deal to me. Magpul will make the 6.8SPC and 7.62X39 magazines and they'll be right. The 7.62X39 conversion will require a lower receiver if Magpul can't get that caliber to feed from an AR type mag. Those calibers will turn the ACR into a deer rifle for me. As far as the price goes, it's come down a good but deals are out there to be found. I've seen them as low as $1800 for a new ACR. I didn't want the brown though.

Yesterday, I contacted Noveske to see if they would offer higher quality barrels for the ACR at some point in the future. The ACR uses a standard M4 barrel with a smaller gas port. We'll see what they have to say!

SamM

SamM

Post by SamM » 30 Sep 2011, 21:36

I think people are under the impression that Magpul has nothing to do with this rifle. That is not the case. My ACR has Magpul logos all over it, as all the plastic is manufactured by Magpul suppliers. Remington makes the military version with an aluminum lower receiver. I believe Bushmasters involvement is limited to fire control parts, aluminum upper receiver and assembly. The steel parts come from Remington. Some, if not all of that assembly has now been moved to Ilion, NY. Remington has a plant there. Not sure what's going on with it but things are changing. My Bushmaster fire control parts will be swapped out for something a little better.

SamM

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 30 Sep 2011, 21:43

If they had the 6.8 or AK barrels available I would consider getting one but I have no use for yet another 5.56.
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.
Tactical Search Instructions & tips: http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12045

SamM

Re: Modded ACR!

Post by SamM » 11 Dec 2011, 21:25

My ACR barrel has been shortened (14.5"), reprofiled and dimpled to reduce weight by ADCO Firearms. A Blackout flash hider has also been added along with a Geissele SSA-E trigger. Just waiting on my ELCAN Specter DR to arrive to finish it up. Awesome rifle! It's a little on the heavy side but nothing that can't be handled.

SamM

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 11 Dec 2011, 21:55

It does look good but I am still waiting on the other barrels before I consider buying one. I haven't seen one in anything but a 5.56
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.
Tactical Search Instructions & tips: http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12045

SeaHawkDriver-B
Location: Embarked on 2 acres of floating Soverign US Territory

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 12 Dec 2011, 00:30

I'm not against the ACR, and the "theory" of the multicaliber gun is pretty sound if they can actually get it to work the way it should. Seems to me the XCR beat it to market pretty badly, from a much smaller company with much less in the way of resources and capitol. I have owned a Bushy M4 and never had any serious issues with it, excpet a few AR-type FTF's that are common among most of the platforms.

The only thing that steers me away from the ACR is that every head-to-head comparison that I see that pits the SCAR and the ACR, the SCAR kicks the living crap out of the ACR, these are along the lines of individual reviews as well as the bigger gun mags...

So, if I dump $2g's on another short-stroke carbine, its going to be from FN.

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 12 Dec 2011, 06:55

Seahawk,

When did the ACR and SCAR go head to head? I can't seem to find any testing data. All the gun mags loved both rifles, but gun mags never do objective reviews, ever. Love to see one.

I will say that the five Bushmaster ARs that I have come across and used (friends, family, and I owned one at one point), two of them had gas tube blockages around the 1K mark, another one had the same issue, but around the 2K mark (round count). That one also had cracking in the upper. It was an AR-10 though, and I heard their AR-10s up till a few years ago were all crap and susceptable to cracked recievers. Word is that changed.

I don't buy bushmaster ARs because there are so much better and proven alternatives out there now. I looked at the ACR early on, but decided it was a lot like the SCAR. Overpriced for what you get compared to custom ARs. Again, just my opinion.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 12 Dec 2011, 07:15

Im not going to lie, I didnt read this whole thread but I was wondering what you guys thought about Remington getting the rights to make the ACR? From the little bit I read online, people liked the idea of the ACR but did not like the fact that bushmaster was the one making it. Now that Remington and bushmaster have been bought out by the mystery company, what does that mean for the ACR? Discuss...

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 12 Dec 2011, 09:49

Remington is owned by the Freedom Group which is a company owned and controlled by Cerberus Capital Management, L.P. It is the largest private equity firm in the nation. Nothing mysterious or shady about them at all. No need for tinfoil hats on this.

It means nothing for the ACR physically, except that now it has remington stamped on the reciever. Same gun. It could mean that if they don't see an uptick in sales, the gun will be dropped from the product line since the parent company didn't guide its development, but that isn't anything new really. Creative destruction has to occur. The nice thing though about it being privately owned however, would mean that the business isn't enslaved by quarterly P&L statements in order to keep the stock price up. They can pursue long term value rather than flash in the pan profits.
Last edited by flyingirish04 on 12 Dec 2011, 09:57, edited 1 time in total.

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 12 Dec 2011, 09:52

I knew I could count on you to bring tinfoil hats into the conversation! XoXo.

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 12 Dec 2011, 09:55

:laugh: Nice. Well maybe if you didn't look at every big company as if it were evil or sinister I wouldn't have to. No offense, but it is no different than the OWS thinking. :p

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 12 Dec 2011, 10:01

Haha, I do look at it like that though. Unfortunately you dont become a billionaire by NOT being corrupt. Just ask the pope...

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 12 Dec 2011, 10:16

Yeah, sorry. I thought you were serious for a moment. You got me.

The premise is interesting though, because people do think that. It is absurd though. Look at Koch Industries. THey are spending millions to allow street vendors to do business easier in cities, because they believe in free market principles. They are also lobbying to end ethanol subsidies, and they just purchased 3 ethanol plants. WHy? Because they believe in the free market and the ability for the best and brightest to win out.
Last edited by flyingirish04 on 12 Dec 2011, 10:35, edited 1 time in total.

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 12 Dec 2011, 10:29

I was being facetious, I guess I should have added a " :p "...