Holy EFF!!! ACR!!?!?!?!!!!

Talk about your favorite longguns here.
blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Re: Holy EFF!!! ACR!!?!?!?!!!!

Post by blueorison » 18 Jan 2010, 19:42

+1 Even my non-tacticool friends (I only have 2 tacticool friends thank heavens, can't take much of their technoblabbering, it hurts my head!) like the ACR. I, however, agree with you that it's highly overpriced and the SCAR is a much better platform. However, my dealer buddy has heard (not sure how credible) that the field units have shown cracks and breakage in the plastic stocks.
romer522 wrote: It pretty much means is a tossup as to whether a 75-77gr will stabilize properly in the ACR, and its not even chrome lined from what I have heard.

A gun is only as good as its barrel, at least with spending $2500 on a SCAR you know your getting one hell of a barrel, with the ACR, not so much.
+1, a gun is only as good as it's barrel&chamber. Was taught this by a man who trains Army SDMs and taught me to shoot hipower. From my experience, the 1/9 will stabilize 75gr/77gr, but NOT as well as a 1/7. From what I have shot/seen, 1/9 won't keyhole them but the groups aren't as tight, YMMV.

Of course, we ALL wouldn't mind testing one of the ACR's, yeah? :p
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

ynoty3k
custom title: Hoplophile

Post by ynoty3k » 18 Jan 2010, 19:50

Sign me up to test about 3 or so. Just to be sure the quality control is there :lmao:

I agree man, but I just cant stomach the looks of the scar. Call me tacticool if you want, but it's pretty hideous IMO. Granted, this is perspective and wholly my opinion, Now, Looks dont really matter compared to function, however for 3k, im not gonna buy something I dont find aesthetically pleasing.

I really like the original Magpul Masada prototype, but some of that is coming through in the ACR.

Only time will tell. Now on about an hour and counting.

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 18 Jan 2010, 19:50

Be glad when it comes out soooooo all the "this is better that is better" shit will stop.
I honestly think that the weapon lost ALOT of its appeal when Bushmaster/Remington
took over the project. It is NOT the Massada any longer, wonder just how much if any
input Magpul has had since they sold out the design??

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 18 Jan 2010, 20:07

ynoty3k wrote:Sign me up to test about 3 or so. Just to be sure the quality control is there :lmao:

I agree man, but I just cant stomach the looks of the scar. Call me tacticool if you want, but it's pretty hideous IMO. Granted, this is perspective and wholly my opinion, Now, Looks dont really matter compared to function, however for 3k, im not gonna buy something I dont find aesthetically pleasing.

I really like the original Magpul Masada prototype, but some of that is coming through in the ACR.

Only time will tell. Now on about an hour and counting.
I agree with ya, anything costing over 500$ has to at least look decent, unless it shoots homing missiles then it can look as ugly as it wants :lmao: I did think the RFB looked really good when many thought it was ugly, not just on this forum. Then again the pictures online were bad and it looks different IRL. Maybe I just am more tolerant of looks b/c the SCAR is so accurate? :?:

+1 with Toys. Not that impressed with Bushmaster or Remington in terms of the ACR. I'd go with Magpul all the way.

don't forget to call me if you find an ACR to test! haha
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

ynoty3k

Post by ynoty3k » 18 Jan 2010, 21:01

well that was a big nothing... its midnight here on the east coast and the launch site still isn't up.

What a disappointment.

P.s. It would seem that they plan on launching a whole host of accessories. If you look carefully in the flash video, the bolt is marked "mulit-cal" so hopefully they'll have plenty of options to go around.

PainKillaX
custom title: I rep that west

Post by PainKillaX » 18 Jan 2010, 21:03

blue, a test seems unlikely since theyre about to launch, but try watching Oprah. Maybe she'll put one under everyone in the audience's seat!! :p

romer522

Post by romer522 » 18 Jan 2010, 23:02

I had always silently hoped that bushmaster would take the full plunge on the ACR, nearly halt all AR production and really go full out with it as a viable replacement for both LEO and civs alike. Currently the ACR is the only thing bushmaster has that other manufacturers don't and it does appear that they aren't really that gung-ho about it. You make waves by jumping from the diving board not dipping your toe in the shallow end of the pool hoping that people want to buy $2700 ripples.

The only logical explanation I can think of is that its design is still not 100% finalized, maybe some final tweaking for MIL/LEO contracts or something and they aren't going to make the investment of mass production until they reach that point. There's no way the Magpul crew threw around $1500 repeatedly if they didn't know that the rifle could be produced for that much.

The illogical explanation would be that they think their rifle is that much better than the SCAR, which it might be, and that it automatically means its worth more and that sets the price. Problem being "cool-kid" pricing set the SCARs price due to limited availability, and if your going to let cool-kid pricing dictate your MSRP only the cool-kids are going to buy your shit.

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 19 Jan 2010, 10:17

I have read mid March on the release, so I think the clock is wrong!!

fooschnickens
custom title: ~( ̄∇ ̄~) (~ ̄∇ ̄)~

Post by fooschnickens » 19 Jan 2010, 10:18

For those who forgot about this thread, an update now that the specifics have been released:

http://www.bushmaster.com/Press-release-11810.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Suggested retail price: Basic $2,685 and Enhanced $3,061."

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :puke:

So much for everyone's $1,700 SCAR-killer. :laugh:

Now with the MW2 and first-run diehard tax it's prolly gonna be more expensive than the SCAR was from the gates.

Even ARfcom agrees:
It took years of late nights, false starts and expensive trial and error, but Bushmaster has finally figured out a way to get the weight of a plastic and aluminum 5.56 carbine within one pound of a walnut-stocked M1A. Welcome to the future!
They can keep it
I think I'll buy a SCAR before I buy and ACR.
Oh my, things are getting serious.
http://www.f00tography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Corporation: n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.
-Ambrose Bierce

ynoty3k

Post by ynoty3k » 19 Jan 2010, 12:36

Well, they finally put up a damn site, and info.

I want the extended stock on the basic upper. Oh wellz.

Not like i have 3k, or 2.5k...

Edit: looks like they did put out a full line, but a seemingly lacking full line

4 weapons, 2 versions of each, a std and an enhanced, one of each in black and tanish.

* 16 ½" cold hammer-forged barrel with innovative coating for extreme long life
* A2 "birdcage-type" hider to control muzzle flash
* Adjustable, two-position gas-piston-driven system, for firing suppressed or unsuppressed
* Tool-less quick-change barrel system available in 10.5", 14.5", 16.5" and 18" and in multiple calibers
* Multi-caliber bolt carrier assembly quickly and easily changes from 223/5.56mm NATO to 6.8mm Rem SPC
* Free-floating MIL-STD 1913 monolithic top rail for optic mounting
* Fully ambidextrous controls include magazine release, bolt catch and release, fire selector and non-reciprocating charging handle
* High-impact composite hand guard with heat shield – accepts rail inserts
* High-impact composite lower receiver with textured magazine well and modular grip storage
* Fixed high-impact composite A-frame stock with rubber butt pad and sling mounts
* Magpul MBUS front/rear flip sights
* Ships in oversized hard case for accessory storage, includes 30-round PMAG

Enhanced includes the following:
* AAC Blackout flash hider with exceptional signature reduction
* Three-sided aluminum hand guard with integral MIL-STD 1913 rail for accessory mounting
* Folding and six-position telescoping high-impact polymer stock with rubber butt pad and sling mounts
* 2-point push button sling

ChuckD
custom title: Tactical Tier2 Ninja

Post by ChuckD » 19 Jan 2010, 14:14

Sorry, I've yet to see the love for a $3,061 weapon.

romer522

Post by romer522 » 19 Jan 2010, 17:14

For 2600 you get a hand guard without rails, $90 sights, no legit magpul stock, "innovative" coating on barrel with no more specifics. Its really not going to go over well, anybody that wants to spend 2600 on a gun wants rails, a good stock etc.

rotorblade

Post by rotorblade » 19 Jan 2010, 17:21

I'll Chime in here. When I first saw the magpul masada and the specs and it being broken down I got the feeling that I was seeing the Future Assault Rifle of the US military. And a good shot at a new rifle for me. At the time I only rifle I had was the PS90. Then They released info about the PDR. I really really really want a PDR with 16" barrel to SBR or as SBR from the factory.
Then Bushmaster was announced as the builder. OH SNAP I said. Actually said more than that. Bushmaster stuff from anyone I know that had Bushy rifles and my own experience has been hit or miss. Ok new design with company building AR's for years magpul still involved, I'll give them a chance.

The ACR as released is going to be a good carbine BUT want a 18 to 20" barrel or model if Bushmaster actually makes a item number with a 18" or even 20" barrel. Not a carbine but a rifle. Got to have the barrel length to take advantage of the ACOG with horseshoe reticule. A true assault rifle just no full auto.
I actually like the fixed stock.

Then yesterday the price info was sent to me in an email. I about fell out of my chair. Somebody had to of Bumped Their Head. It had to be a typo called Customer service rep, yep 2700. When that lady said $3000.00 for enhanced model, I told her "Lady put the crack pipe down and step back". she hung up on me.
To me the ACR is like the girlfriend takes her top off, bra too, outside in the middle of july. Then says it sure is cold out here, and puts the top back on then throws you the bra, after you asked her to marry you. :huh: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :(

If I had 3 grand I would get one yes. BUT Not only No but Hell to the NO power get one right now. I'll wait. Everyone I know that wanted an ACR has said the exact same thing. One even says he has the 3 grand put back from waiting to get a SCAR but didn't like it when he found one to look says he's glad he didn't put it on order. Its just way too much sticker shock when we were told by magpul time after time $1500.

The Massoud is up next. Then the PDR may or may not get its chance. BUT I doubt very seriously that Magpul will go Bushy for those 2. IT will be 2012 or later before the PDR gets its chance, big ifffff here. God I hope the mayans are not right and just smoked to much Weed or I will get a PDR in July on my birthday and december rolls around it will all just END.

OH well.

Now the 27th of January 2010 is going to be an interesting day for Apple I Hope. And I'm tired of having my hopes cut up into little pieces like some Kiddy scissor class had just made paper dolls. Get ready for something "insanely great" again.

I hope.

Sorry for the rant just the truth.

PainKillaX
custom title: I rep that west

Post by PainKillaX » 19 Jan 2010, 17:22

The site doesn't even look finished. There's left over Lorem ipsum (filler text) at the top right of the page

rotorblade

Post by rotorblade » 19 Jan 2010, 17:28

romer522 wrote:For 2600 you get a hand guard without rails, $90 sights, no legit magpul stock, "innovative" coating on barrel with no more specifics. Its really not going to go over well, anybody that wants to spend 2600 on a gun wants rails, a good stock etc.
The fixed stock is a magpul design along with the lower, which hasn't changed since inseption. Your right about the sights.
The barrel is 1/9 :skep: is how I feel, should have been 1/7 but ok 1/9 lets you shoot 193 easier, probably a good choice. The barrel coating on the other hand is :huh: if its nitrocarbarized then ion bonded OK "way cool". If its chrome lined well :wall: :wall: :wall: , better start lowering the price.

romer522

Post by romer522 » 19 Jan 2010, 17:44

Everyone wants chrome lined, its at least proven. The only viable alternatives I can think of are the people doing melonite in the bores, and the hard blue guys. Ionbond still cannot be applied in a chamber/bore and even if they could it would take a whole redesigned cartridge/weapon to correct for the pressure issues.

I know its a magpul stock but it has nothing to offer and does not belong anywhere near a $2600 weapon. I've never known anyone to have problems shooting 55gr in a 1/7 and with the recent move to 77gr as defensive ammo there's really no excuse for 1/9.

I have no problems with the gun itself, the base version is probably a great gun it just doesn't do anything to justify the cost. They have been throwing around $1500 forever and it would be an easy sell at that price.

SeaHawkDriver-B
Location: Embarked on 2 acres of floating Soverign US Territory

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 19 Jan 2010, 19:05

I think Bushmaster is guilty of trying to ride the Obama wave and get a lot of people rich who were "expecting money" out of this thing. Well the hype is going to leave them broke; they won't sell a 1/10th of the units they want to at that price. There's just too much competition out there throwing 5.56 lead downrange for them to justify the price.

downtrodden

Post by downtrodden » 19 Feb 2010, 22:25

Glad I'm not the only one who *REALLY* wanted a PDR.

Glad I'm also not the only one *REALLY* disappointed with the ACR- esp. the weight and price tag.

Didn't care much for the SCAR either though...

Didn't like the Sig 556 at all....

I guess I will look at Ruger's next.

<~~~ Lost in the piston "AR" world.

murphies_finest
custom title: King Thread Killer.

Post by murphies_finest » 11 Mar 2010, 06:23

way too expensive, I will just continue to move down the FN line up.
Keep Working Millions on Welfare Depend on YOU.

no one

Post by no one » 14 Mar 2010, 17:09

I'll wait and see when (maybe if) it ever does actually get released, and then see what they are selling for. If they do actually come out, and the early buyers give it good reports based on performance and price (value for the dollar) then I'll consider buying one.

Fortunately, I have plenty of other rifles, so I won't be upset if it never does come out. There are plenty of fine alternatives available that provide an excellent value/price/performance ratio. While having another choice is always nice, if Bushmaster overprices it, they know that people will simply go with another design that provides a better value/price/performance ratio.

A number of companies have killed their own pet projects by making it either too hard, or too expensive to buy components and parts...an excellent example is the 6.5 Creedmoor. Hornady is killing a wonderful cartridge by not having it standardized by SAAMI. The only reason I can figure out that they won't have SAAMI standardize it, is so that they can keep out the competition. That would be fine if brass wasn't over priced, and reloading dies so hard to get from alternative sources...all because it isn't SAAMI certified...

My point is that while the Bushmaster rifle is a wonderful concept, it if is over priced, or too hard to find either the rifle or parts, Bushmaster will have killed the project before it ever gets a fair chance in the market place. I hope they don't do that, but like I said, if they do kill it, I have plenty of other choices.