PTR-91

Talk about your favorite longguns here.
ChuckD
custom title: Tactical Tier2 Ninja

Re: PTR-91

Post by ChuckD » 11 Dec 2009, 11:47

I do recall its VERY tough to find wood stocks for the heavy buffer.

I bought a 2pack of stocks from cheaperthangoldflakes and spent 3 hours modifying it to hold the larger buffer.

This is because I didn't know I had the heavy buffer and read that the cetme wood would only require "slight" modification.
I later purchased real HK wood with a light buffer for 30 bucks. A Steal in my opinion.

fooschnickens
custom title: ~( ̄∇ ̄~) (~ ̄∇ ̄)~

Post by fooschnickens » 12 Dec 2009, 00:55

You could always just buy my FNAR. Sure it can't be full auto, but it is accurate out of the box and well under what most decked out PTR clones go for. :D
http://www.f00tography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Corporation: n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.
-Ambrose Bierce

Sniperjoe
Gold Member
custom title: What is love?

Post by Sniperjoe » 12 Dec 2009, 07:10

fooschnickens wrote:You could always just buy my FNAR. Sure it can't be full auto, but it is accurate out of the box and well under what most decked out PTR clones go for. :D
unfortunatly FA means nothing to me, how much?

fooschnickens

Post by fooschnickens » 12 Dec 2009, 12:01

Sniperjoe wrote:
fooschnickens wrote:You could always just buy my FNAR. Sure it can't be full auto, but it is accurate out of the box and well under what most decked out PTR clones go for. :D
unfortunatly FA means nothing to me, how much?
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=6104" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll even honor the special pricing. :thumb:
Corporation: n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.
-Ambrose Bierce

Sniperjoe
Gold Member

Post by Sniperjoe » 12 Dec 2009, 23:14

Wow nice rifle, unfortunatly i'm in no position to buy as of yet, and I can't local pick up cause I live to far :laugh: , but good luck with it :thumb:

fooschnickens

Post by fooschnickens » 14 Dec 2009, 01:20

It's going good so far. There's on guy in GA bidding on it right now, so I hope he wins it to save me some paperwork at the very least :laugh:
-Ambrose Bierce

Sniperjoe
Gold Member

Post by Sniperjoe » 14 Dec 2009, 06:25

theres alot of paperwork when dealing with shipping a gun out of state?

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Post by Cyberfly » 14 Dec 2009, 07:02

Nope. Just get a copy of the receiving FFL, stuff it all in a box and send it out via UPS.
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 14 Dec 2009, 09:17

Talked to my dad about the price on his PTR. He agreed to sell it for 2,000 plus shipping. If the person who buys the rifle also wants the ammo, he'll sell it for 1,000 plus shipping. Please note that shipping on that much ammo might be fairly expensive since it weighs about 200 pounds. It would probably have to ship in several packages.

If anyone is interested, let me know.

Mike

tombirdman

Post by tombirdman » 06 Feb 2010, 15:11

AN_OLD_LADY wrote:I had a CAI CETME sitting on the counter ready to buy, when a voice inside my head said, "there is plenty of time, go home and research.." Well, I'm glad I did because I've read countless horror stories... That's the background to my question.

I decided that I want a detachable box magazine fed, semi-automatic 7.62 NATO (.308 win) rifle. I've always admired the G3 platform and found the above CETME at a local gun shop for $629, (they even had a crappy FAL clone too). Anyway, after my digging on the interwebs, I discovered the PTR-91. Does anyone here own one? What do you think of it? Pros/Cons of the .308 cartridge? Ect. Ect.

From my weeks worth of researching, I'm pretty sure I'm going to purchase one in the beginning of next year. Unless somebody here changes my mind... and please, try.

I have a Century Cetme with wood stocks. Pretty crude but have about $350.00 in it,used-little. Goes bang - what can I say. It is fairly accurate and dependable. I've heard others say they were'nt so I dont know but for the price I couldn't pass it up. Mine is in the serial no range of { C2637X }. Can anyone give me an idea about the gun.

I have had HK91s and 93s and liked them, although I liked my FALs better. Knocked out a front window of my car
with brass while firing out of the car window. Not suppose to do that but I did it anyway.

Just because I haven't had trouble doesn't mean they are a well made gun.

AN_OLD_LADY

Post by AN_OLD_LADY » 06 Feb 2010, 22:39

A POEM TO MY NEW BEST FRIEND

Just came back from the big city
I got my self a gun, oh so pretty
She's long, black, and heavy, (no inapropriateness intended)
And when I hold her, she's rock steady,
I could continue with my lengthy list,
Dang! I wish women were more like this! (no offense to females)
---------

All meant in good spirits of course!
After months of searching, and refusing to purchase online I found a nice "A" s/n JLD Inc. PTR-91 KFM4
It's got a tapco 6 position M4 style retractable stock. It's got 3 Rail Interface System attachments on the fore-grip. 16" BBl
So excited to shoot it tomorrow after church!!!
Sorry, VortecMax, but I didn't want to have it mailed to an FFl and all that jazz when my hopes to find one locally paid off.

I paid $1,242 for the Rifle, 2x 20rd DBM's, and 50 'no-brand' 150gr. FMJ bullets.

I have to say, this is the first gun to make me feel like a moron when I tried to strip it down. (not so much the stripping as the putting back together...) I'll post how it works in 20 degree F weather later next week after some shooting.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 09 Dec 2010, 21:00

Found this thread after I posted in the newest addition thread, oops :D

Anyway, this just got in today.
PTR-91 Super Sniper. .308 caliber, 20" bull barrel, Millet 4-16x50 scope, 50rd drum
Just a little too much scope for this rifle, it sits too far back. But I can't move the scope any more forward, it will prevent the cocking handle from locking open or even reaching the full rearward position.
The scope has an illuminated mildot reticle (green) with variable brightness like the REMT3 - 11 settings even (1 is for night vision) It is certainly nice, I would like to keep it but if it gives me scope eye then its gotta go. :skep:
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.
Tactical Search Instructions & tips: http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12045

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 09 Dec 2010, 21:31

That thing is SERIOUSLY sweet!

Mike

SSBiggun

Post by SSBiggun » 13 Dec 2010, 20:18

Rapier, New addition to the safe thread is a good place too.When I started that thread it was for moments like this:-) You need to post when you find out what she likes ammo wise.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 14 Dec 2010, 22:43

Its official - I don't like the trigger. It would good for a combat rifle but not for long range. I am going to contact Williams but would like to know about other options as well. Forget the PSG-1 trigger - IF you can find them, they're about $1,000. Anything else?

Just for giggles I put the Viridian X5L on it under the barrel. The light wont do any good but I want to see how far the laser goes :laugh: Might be cool and it might even get more use. With no holster for it, I am not using when I carry anyway :?:
Tactical Search Instructions & tips: http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12045

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 18 Dec 2010, 16:21

WAH! I finally fired the new rifle today. Forget reloading the brass :wall:
All of the brass was dented and the fluted chamber is pretty cruel as well. Well, I guess I can just save the brass for recycling & maybe offset some of the cost for new ammo that way?

On the good side though: it gets people's attention :D With both looks and its bark. I took it to the indoor range since it was snowing kinda hard. I made no attempt to hide it but apparently they didn't see me bring it in. I had already talked to them about the Dan Wesson & they only though I was shooting the 10mm. After my 3rd shot, the asst manager came in & asked what the hell I was shooting. Apparently they could feel it in the floor, it is very loud :p One of the other guys shooting said the muzzle flash was about 18" long. I know the flash filled the scope with every shot. Not sure how to fit that thing with a muzzle break, do those clamp on? I don't need it to divert the recoil, just the muzzle flash.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 21 May 2011, 12:15

I am considering what tweaks to make to the rifle. I have already put a port buffer on so I can keep the brass for reloading.
Buttstock monopod - as you can see in the pics, it is not equipped with anything of the sort. I was thinking I might be able to drill & tap some holes & stick one of my extra rails on it (several monopods mount to rails) but that's a lot of recoil & not sure how it would hold up. Anyone have experience doing this & can provide some pointers?
Muzzle brake - a local shop is willing to turn down the barrel & thread it. But what is a good muzzle brake for a .308? The barrel must be turned & threaded anyway so thread size doesn't matter. The main goal is that I do not want the muzzle flash filling up the scope. But since I have to do the thing for the buttstock monopod, minimizing recoil would also be a good idea. I know someone who uses a surefire & loves it but I think it also kind of ruined the looks of his rifle; I know they also make other models which I would consider. Anyone have certain preferences?

fooschnickens

Post by fooschnickens » 22 May 2011, 20:58

Rapier1772 wrote: On the good side though: it gets people's attention :D With both looks and its bark. I took it to the indoor range since it was snowing kinda hard. I made no attempt to hide it but apparently they didn't see me bring it in. I had already talked to them about the Dan Wesson & they only though I was shooting the 10mm. After my 3rd shot, the asst manager came in & asked what the hell I was shooting. Apparently they could feel it in the floor, it is very loud :p One of the other guys shooting said the muzzle flash was about 18" long. I know the flash filled the scope with every shot. Not sure how to fit that thing with a muzzle break, do those clamp on? I don't need it to divert the recoil, just the muzzle flash.
pfffff, what you need is one of these:

If you got it, flaunt it! I'm considering getting one of their .30 cal versions to stick on the SKS since the fireball isn't big enough already :laugh:
-Ambrose Bierce

TheOtherDave

Post by TheOtherDave » 21 Aug 2011, 03:16

Rapier1772 wrote:One of the other guys shooting said the muzzle flash was about 18" long. I know the flash filled the scope with every shot. Not sure how to fit that thing with a muzzle break, do those clamp on? I don't need it to divert the recoil, just the muzzle flash.
If you've changed your mind and want kinda the opposite effect, Cabela's has .308 tracer ammo on sale. Or at least they did a few days ago.

(Thread necro, I know... but you've got no one to blame but yourself :p )

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 21 Aug 2011, 07:32

Necro-thread? That's a new one :D I don't blame people for resurrecting old threads - its better than making new ones which cover the same topic & having to link or merge them.

No, I haven't changed my mind. I need the muzzle flash out of my scope & I hope that surefire will work cuz I ordered it :?:
I guess I could use those tracers to see where I am hitting at extended ranges (if they have the same flight characteristics) :ponder:

Unfortunately, the nearest Cabela's is about 200 miles away :wall: