Shooting the Barrett M107 .50 Caliber Sniper Rifle

Talk about your favorite longguns here.
Amsdorf
custom title: VDMA

Shooting the Barrett M107 .50 Caliber Sniper Rifle

Post by Amsdorf » 21 Jul 2013, 03:52

Last Thursday as I was participating in training at Asymmetric Solutions in Farmington, Missouri (awesome place!!), I was able to shoot a Barrett .50 Caliber sniper rifle, in fact the M107, the real deal military version of the famous Barrett.

A USAF EOD team was at the facility training, had been for the past couple weeks, and after they were finished for the day blowing up some very serious stuff, and I mean, really serious stuff, they let us take their Barrett out and shoot it.
a
They just received and we shot rounds 200-215 through it.

It was, and is, simply amazing.

The recoil is really not bad at all, thanks for the massive muzzle brake/compensator on the front of the barrel and the heavy springs that absorb a lot of the punishing recoil of a .50 BMG round.

It is a heavy rifle, no doubt about that. You just nestle it tight into your shoulder pocket, get a good cheek weld and it reminded me of shooting a 12 guage with a heavy slug shell.

The noise? If you are shooting the rifle, not bad at all. I had 33db foam plugs in my ear and Peltor electronic muffs on, so no issue shooting it. The real noise comes when you are standing anywhere to the side of the beast. Then you get a LOT of noise. I mean...a LOT.

The safety is just like that of an AR15, easy to manipulate. The trigger broke cleaning, but was a bit heavy. I did not get the details on the optic the USAF EOD unit had on it, but it was a darn big one.

They had it zeroed at 500 yards.

Here's the video of all the USAF team setting it up then letting the group of us out there shoot it.

A very satisfying experience, to say the least.

http://youtu.be/MvDn4-2mn1Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fd57

Re: Shooting the Barrett M107 .50 Caliber Sniper Rifle

Post by fd57 » 21 Jul 2013, 06:52

Why didn't anyone warn the older/grey haired gentleman that his thumb was riding high and very near the charging handle (10:48)?!?!?!

Watching it real speed you saw his thumb and the charging handle and it was like watching a train wreck coming. Disappointed that the instructor(s) didn't notice and halt the action. It appeared to be a group who have never fired this instrument, and so you'd think the instructor(s) would have been even more alert.

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 23 Jul 2013, 08:14

It's chAir Force, that's why ;).

Can't see the video because it has been removed. I could probably tell you the optic just by looking at it. The Zoomie EOD guys I worked with briefly in Iraq had Leupold Mk 4 6.5-20s with Barrett Borrs software on it.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 23 Jul 2013, 09:57

Where is the video?

Amsdorf
custom title: VDMA

Post by Amsdorf » 24 Jul 2013, 02:31

Sorry about that, here's the video, had to do a bit of editing on it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioJ8s7BsFDI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;