Winchester Super Magnum Pics in OP

Talk about your favorite longguns here.
Stitches1974

Winchester Super Magnum Pics in OP

Post by Stitches1974 » 29 Jun 2013, 11:30

I just told my FFL to find me one in the Savage flavor 17 WSM( B Mag ). The $1400 low wall is a bit too pricey. The Savage model # 96901 has a MSRP of $349 and will cost me under $300. Ammo is running about $15 for a box of 50. The gun is very new on the market, but the ammo is not that old either. No clue when I will get mine, but will update after I get it and some ammo.

Here's another link and video as well: http://www.gunsandammo.com/2013/06/11/1 ... er-magnum/

Last edited by Stitches1974 on 11 Jul 2013, 12:42, edited 1 time in total.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Re: Winchester Super Magnum

Post by Rapier1772 » 29 Jun 2013, 12:47

Stitches1974 wrote:Link to supposid stats of the cartrage, as the Jpeg is too big...
Link to youtube, as the forum is not liking the link...
If only people would read the instructions... :skep: :p

Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.
Tactical Search Instructions & tips: http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12045

Stitches1974

Post by Stitches1974 » 29 Jun 2013, 12:55

I have posted pics and vids on this forum before, so I have read the instructions. Unless something has changed on the forum since I last posted a pic or vid and I missed that.

Thank you for getting it sorted out though.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 29 Jun 2013, 14:05

The regular image was too big for forum limits; you had to use the img2 tag which allows you set the dimensions for the pic. (It's the special note in italics on the instruction page)
If you followed the directions for the vid, then I dunno why it didn't work. I did it exactly the way it is explained & it worked fine for me. :ponder:
The most common mistake is people post the entire URL between the youtube tags, just need the last part [after equal sign (=)]

But in any case, the .17 is a fun gun to shoot but if I am going to get something smaller than a .22, I think I'd go with a cartridge that I can reload like the .204. My cuz already has one & I'll just have him reload it or borrow his dies :laugh:
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.
Tactical Search Instructions & tips: http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12045

Stitches1974

Post by Stitches1974 » 29 Jun 2013, 14:28

Rapier1772 wrote:The regular image was too big for forum limits; you had to use the img2 tag which allows you set the dimensions for the pic. (It's the special note in italics on the instruction page)
If you followed the directions for the vid, then I dunno why it didn't work. I did it exactly the way it is explained & it worked fine for me. :ponder:
The most common mistake is people post the entire URL between the youtube tags, just need the last part [after equal sign (=)]

But in any case, the .17 is a fun gun to shoot but if I am going to get something smaller than a .22, I think I'd go with a cartridge that I can reload like the .204. My cuz already has one & I'll just have him reload it or borrow his dies :laugh:
Thanks for the tips. Will have to read over the stuff again.

As for reloading, I don't trust myself to do it. Very short term memory loss and I don't want to double load or something.

For the case of the 17 WSM, it's a necked down .27 round that is used in nail guns. Weird how that turned into a firearm cartridge. :ponder: The main use for this gun will be fox hunting this fall. A friend open ranges his chickens in the day and he's had some issues lately. I considered a 17HMR and 22 Mag, but have read stories that if the bullet hits bone, the animal can just run off. Yet, Bella Twin can kill the world's largest grizzly ( record stood for I think 30 years ) with a single shot from a bolt action 22. For the 17 WSM, it's reaching into centerfire territory. So, it will eventually have multiple uses.

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 30 Jun 2013, 06:34

you can't double charge rifle powder.

Stitches1974

Post by Stitches1974 » 30 Jun 2013, 08:14

srt-4_jon wrote:you can't double charge rifle powder.
Never reloaded, but it's a term I hear a lot that causes bad things.

Stitches1974

Post by Stitches1974 » 01 Jul 2013, 10:23

Just picked up a B Mag off of Gun Broker today for $349.00. Just a bit under the $359 MSRP. I'll pay the small premium to get it now, instead of waiting my FFL to find one. Now, to find ammo and some glass for it. Anyone have any recomendations? Looking for something that won't break the bank, but still have a solid construction. Most of my shooting will be from 0-200 yards, with an occasional 300 yard max.

Thanks in advance.

Stitches1974

Re: Winchester Super Magnum Pics in OP

Post by Stitches1974 » 11 Jul 2013, 12:42

Added pics in OP

This rifle is very light and feels like a toy. Mag is interesting, but looks like my old Ruger 10/22 mag, only bigger. Not sure why people say the barrel looks like a straw, as it's not that thin. Still trying to decide if I like the stock or not. Have to get used to the safety behind the bolt as well. If you want specific pics of it, just IM me or post here.

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 12 Jul 2013, 09:11

How much you want to spend on glass? Best scope for the money right now is probably the Vortex Viper HS. But that will be $400 at least. Very close in most situations to a scope $200 more.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

Stitches1974

Post by Stitches1974 » 12 Jul 2013, 09:38

flyingirish04 wrote:How much you want to spend on glass? Best scope for the money right now is probably the Vortex Viper HS. But that will be $400 at least. Very close in most situations to a scope $200 more.
I ended going with this scope after a few positive recommendations of it. http://www.opticsplanet.com/redfield-re ... scope.html I went with the varmint reticle. Still trying to find ammo for it, but as long as I have it before fox season this fall, I'll be good.

EDIT: Just found a case for $200+ shipping. Now, I can go shooting next week.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.

Post by panzermk2 » 12 Jul 2013, 10:31

Stitches1974 wrote:
flyingirish04 wrote:How much you want to spend on glass? Best scope for the money right now is probably the Vortex Viper HS. But that will be $400 at least. Very close in most situations to a scope $200 more.
I ended going with this scope after a few positive recommendations of it. http://www.opticsplanet.com/redfield-re ... scope.html I went with the varmint reticle. Still trying to find ammo for it, but as long as I have it before fox season this fall, I'll be good.

Good scope, Leupold bought them out a few years ago after prior management took a once great scope maker and ran it into the ground.

Leupold retooled all of redfield and now uses them as an entry level scope. All the glass and guts are Leupold so you get a great deal.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

Stitches1974

Post by Stitches1974 » 12 Jul 2013, 10:44

panzermk2 wrote:
Stitches1974 wrote:

Good scope, Leupold bought them out a few years ago after prior management took a once great scope maker and ran it into the ground.

Leupold retooled all of redfield and now uses them as an entry level scope. All the glass and guts are Leupold so you get a great deal.
Thanks for reconfirming that they're good. This will be my first scope. Can't wait to shoot this thing.

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 12 Jul 2013, 11:06

Not a terrible pick for a scope at all. It is basically a VX-1 with a better reticle, so even a step up from Leupold's Rifleman Entry level scope. Should do just fine.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

ddouglas
Gold Member

Post by ddouglas » 18 Aug 2013, 17:56

Stitches1974 (or anyone else): what is your experience with the Savage B-Mag and the 17WSM cartridge? By some accounts, the combo is the greatest thing since sliced bread. By one account I heard today, the Savage is junky. I'm fascinated by the varmint potential for this round and I've started looking for a rifle. My local gun shops didn't have any but I did find the 20gr 17WSM cartridge at a local gun shop (at $16.99/50) and I bought a box. For those unfamiliar with the round, here's a photo of the 17WSM round compared to some others: (Left to right: 22LR, 17HMR, 17WSM, 5.7x28)
http://s808.photobucket.com/user/oregon ... 8.jpg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stitches1974

Post by Stitches1974 » 21 Aug 2013, 10:38

ddouglas wrote:Stitches1974 (or anyone else): what is your experience with the Savage B-Mag and the 17WSM cartridge? By some accounts, the combo is the greatest thing since sliced bread. By one account I heard today, the Savage is junky. I'm fascinated by the varmint potential for this round and I've started looking for a rifle. My local gun shops didn't have any but I did find the 20gr 17WSM cartridge at a local gun shop (at $16.99/50) and I bought a box. For those unfamiliar with the round, here's a photo of the 17WSM round compared to some others: (Left to right: 22LR, 17HMR, 17WSM, 5.7x28)
http://s808.photobucket.com/user/oregon ... 8.jpg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have no complaints at all with the rifle. I'd have to say if anything is weak on it, it's the flexible stock. There's practically no recoil, more accurate than I am, the accu-trigger is excellent right out of the box, and it's very light weight with the scope and bi-pod on it. The only issues I've seen with the rifle has nothing to do with the rifle, but the ammo itself. I've shot 29 rounds so far and had 4 split necks. Ranging from 3 minor to 1 good sized split. Mind you, it does NOT affect the accuracy or rifle at all.

Overall, I'm very happy and impressed with the platform. You can find more info and it's capabilities here:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/150237 ... ping_.html Eric Mayer is the guy that got me hooked on the platform. Later in that thread he's got photos and video of the rifle in action.