HK MR556 Upper

Talk about your favorite longguns here.
flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Re: HK MR556 Upper

Post by flyingirish04 » 09 Mar 2013, 15:52

Vortec MAX wrote:
flyingirish04 wrote:That Nikon isn't cheap. It's Monarch Glass...
Well I guess it isn't "cheap," but I typically spend as much as I do on the rifle for a scope. I have an Illuminated Leupold Mark 4 3-10 x 40 LR on my Remmy 700. That is still a midrange scope compared to a Nightforce or Schmidt & Bender or even the higher end Leupolds. You can spend a helluva lotta money on glass.

flyingirish04 wrote:...frankly for an frankenstein AR you are wasting your money buying anything more expensive.
The HK upper is supposed to be pretty accurate. I don't yet know how accurate. I thought a mid-range scope was probably suitable. All my other ARs (which are Colts) shoot around 2 MOA. Not that great.

flyingirish04 wrote:That is unless you expect to be in battle anytime soon with that setup.
I don't expect to have to ever engage in a battle. This country is almost a liberal utopia. The transformation is almost complete. It will soon be sunshine, lollipops, and rainbows for everyone. There won't be any crime, and thus no need for anyone to own a gun. I'm not sure why I even need an AR-15. I mean who needs 10 bullets to kill a deer? Once the transformation is complete, I will just hand it in for scrap and buy a unicorn. :D

Mike

Yes I know. I own NF and custom Leupolds, and even a S&B. I know what quality glass is. And frankly, the Nikon M series are more value than the price tag.

Several scopes, like Swaros, are expensive but entirely lacking compared to others. Even the Conquest series of Zeiss are crap compared to the new VX-3s or Vortex's Viper and Razor line right now.

As far as your upper, it will have some effect on accuracy, but so will its overall fit with the lower you are using. There is a reason why Larue likes to build whole guns and not frankenstein versions. With autoloaders, it is imperative for true precision.

I gave shot the HK uppers and you will group under 1 MOA out to 200 on a normal lower. On a matched and trued billet lower you will shoot much much better. It's an improvement though to the have the upper. For sure.

If I were to go back, I would probably never buy a S&B. NF does everything under the sun necessary for far far less. That was my point with your AR and M-223. It reallly will do everything that rifle is capable of doing.

Clearly I'm not opposed to overkill. I mean I shoot several wildcats, one being a 338 Lapua Mag Imp 40º. Will it do more than a standard Lapua round to justify its extra expense? Probably not.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 09 Mar 2013, 15:59

Vortec MAX wrote:
jgreenberg01 wrote:I also tend to go high-end with the glass, but I have a Nikon on my 10/22 and it definitely gets the job done.
I bought Nikon P-22s for both of my kids to put on their 10/22 Takedowns. They are actually pretty good scopes. That is what made me look at the M-223 series for this AR build. The M-series is still made in the Philippines however. I would prefer USA, Japan, or Germany.

I think you have to go waaaay up the Nikon line to get something made in Japan. I have a Nikon fieldscope (spotting scope) made in Japan, but it was in excess of a thousand bucks.

Are the Monarch scopes made in the Philippines?

Mike

Concerning yourself where a scope is made is like picking someone to marry based solely on who their parents are.

There is value in understanding it, but it is no guarantee of performance.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 10 Mar 2013, 19:01

M,

I deny you that unicorn.

I had already called dibs.

Regards,

J.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 10 Mar 2013, 21:28

Darn tootin.