Re: I want an AR-15 for 600-700 bucks

Post by blacklabelop » 24 Aug 2012, 08:03

Sweet!

jmz5
Site Admin
custom title: Proprietor

Post by jmz5 » 28 Aug 2012, 03:47

Get a hogue grip too, they are worth their weight in gold.
كاف

FARGO

Post by FARGO » 28 Aug 2012, 11:04

Just built one, got the lower (a bushmaster) from a friend who got it at a gun show. It was brand new, 200 bucks with an A3 stock and LPK already installed. I ordered my upper from palmettostatearmory.com they do really nice work, their uppers are made from FN parts and are not too expensive, i paid 517 for a full upper. You can pick one up from them for about 300 bucks just depends on what you are looking for.

I built this one for the sole purpose of dragging it through the woods and not having to worry about scratching it up. Its extremely reliable, I would say this build is nicer than a few of my ARs that were in the $1500 to $2500 range. Its by no means a tack driver but hey, i can put MOA groups down range with open sights just fine.

Palmetto also has great prices on ammo, their PMC X-tac prices are always the best, free shipping included.

Cwc

Post by Cwc » 28 Aug 2012, 20:05

Anyone have any thoughts on Windham Weaponry. Looks to be a mil spec at a good price.

ShockedNKansas
custom title: G0 SH0X

Post by ShockedNKansas » 30 Aug 2012, 09:51

jmz5 wrote:Get a hogue grip too, they are worth their weight in gold.
I am definitely looking into a new grip, because the standard one that came with the rifle has a little edge around the bottom of the trigger guard that really irritates my finger. I think I've heard of people grinding that edge off, but I'd rather just get a new grip.

I have heard tremendous things about the Magpul MOE grip. Do you know anything about those?
FARGO wrote:Just built one, got the lower (a bushmaster) from a friend who got it at a gun show. It was brand new, 200 bucks with an A3 stock and LPK already installed. I ordered my upper from palmettostatearmory.com they do really nice work, their uppers are made from FN parts and are not too expensive, i paid 517 for a full upper. You can pick one up from them for about 300 bucks just depends on what you are looking for.

I built this one for the sole purpose of dragging it through the woods and not having to worry about scratching it up. Its extremely reliable, I would say this build is nicer than a few of my ARs that were in the $1500 to $2500 range. Its by no means a tack driver but hey, i can put MOA groups down range with open sights just fine.

Palmetto also has great prices on ammo, their PMC X-tac prices are always the best, free shipping included.
I think MOA groups are the definition of a tack driver aren't they? :) I've shot the rifle now and I can assure you, the gun is a helluva lot more accurate than I am. I need to find an outdoor range with a bench so I can really see what it does.

And yes, Palmetto has GREAT prices on ammo. I picked up a bunch of PMC ammo in all different flavors. But I didn't get free shipping. Free shipping must be a very special occurrence. Their shipping prices are VERY fair though.
Cwc wrote:Anyone have any thoughts on Windham Weaponry. Looks to be a mil spec at a good price.
Yeah, Classic Arms has one of their rifles. Apparently some of the original employees of Bushmaster (before it was sold) have started this new company and intend to build "the finest AR type rifles in the country." Take their bravado with a grain of sale, they are Bushmaster...

I would say to get the PSA long before you consider a Bushmaster/Windham, but feel free to research customer's experiences online. I'm sure there are plenty of people that have tried them out.

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 30 Aug 2012, 11:41

But Bushmaster is named after a snake!!!! And it has a snake on the lower!!!
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

jmz5
Site Admin
custom title: Proprietor

Post by jmz5 » 30 Aug 2012, 15:19

ShockedNKansas wrote:
I am definitely looking into a new grip, because the standard one that came with the rifle has a little edge around the bottom of the trigger guard that really irritates my finger. I think I've heard of people grinding that edge off, but I'd rather just get a new grip.

I have heard tremendous things about the Magpul MOE grip. Do you know anything about those?
I still prefer the hogue over the magpul. They are a great company, but if it says magpul on it, it does not mean it is the best.
كاف

ShockedNKansas

Post by ShockedNKansas » 30 Aug 2012, 15:27

jmz5 wrote:
ShockedNKansas wrote:

I still prefer the hogue over the magpul. They are a great company, but if it says magpul on it, it does not mean it is the best.
I will try and get my hands on both of those and see how they fit. My hands are not small.

Cwc

Post by Cwc » 02 Sep 2012, 19:22

Picked up a Windham yesterday with a recommendation from a friend at the range. Put 500 rounds thru it today. Superb accuracy and flawless operation.

ShockedNKansas

Post by ShockedNKansas » 02 Sep 2012, 20:48

Cwc wrote:Picked up a Windham yesterday with a recommendation from a friend at the range. Put 500 rounds thru it today. Superb accuracy and flawless operation.
I'm glad it's working out for you. I LOVE my PSA though.. :)

If you need a nice value optic for your nice value AR, check out my other thread on optics. They have my red/green dot scope on sale for 119.99. It is usually 170-180 everywhere else. Crazy sale!

Cwc

Post by Cwc » 03 Sep 2012, 17:40

I'll check it out. Thanks

ShockedNKansas

Post by ShockedNKansas » 05 Sep 2012, 10:44

I got access to an INDOOR 100yd rifle range the other day so I decided to bring the AR and get her sighted in. I chose to sight in the red dot first, and then the irons later. I was using PMC Bronze .223 55gr FMJ-BT. My red dot is 4 MOA, so it isn't exactly a very tiny dot. It would cover the blacked out portion of my target which was about 6 inches across. The bullseye was white and about 1.5 inches (no way I was going to see that).

There wasn't much airflow in that range, and being left handed, I got a healthy blast of gasses right in my face after each shot. Because of this I wasn't too steady handed and was holding my breath a lot. I understand why people complain about stock/milspec AR triggers as mine is pretty stiff (especially compared to my FsN). I will be looking for a new trigger and grip soon.

My spotter saw me hit a couple bullseyes in a row, but for the most part, each 3-5 shot group was in the 2-5 MOA range. I don't think that's too bad considering the gun is new, the trigger is stiff, my red dot is large, I wasn't breathing, and I was high on primer chemicals... A buttery smooth trigger probably would have made a difference. A 2 MOA red dot would be nice as well, but this gun is more for self-defense, so the 4 MOA dot is better for me. I would suspect that if I am going to do much long distance rifling, I should use a properly magnified rifle scope. I think my red dot scope is 1x mag? It's basically nothing.

ShockedNKansas

Post by ShockedNKansas » 05 Sep 2012, 10:52

On sighting in your "irons".

Now that my red dot is accurate, I want to align my irons to it. I have a Magpul MBUS for the rear sight and a standard A2 sight on the front. The thing that is kind of weird to me, is the rear sight hole seems quite large when co-witnessing through my scope. Perhaps I can explain further. You know how the front sight post in a pistol aligns tightly between the rear sights? Well, with my AR irons, the front post can move a lot to the left and right and still be inside the rear sight circle. Of course the idea is to put the front post in the middle of the circle, but it seems like this setup allows for a lot of error -- especially at long distances. Since my red dot sits on top of my front post and has no parallax beyond 50 yards, this isn't a huge problem. But for people that use irons only, how do you shoot accurately with so much room for your front post to move around in the large, rear sight circle?

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 05 Sep 2012, 11:45

You learn to be very steady. You may want to find the military's M16 user manual, it will give you a good start on getting proper sight alignment.

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 05 Sep 2012, 13:20

f3rr37 wrote:You learn to be very steady. You may want to find the military's M16 user manual, it will give you a good start on getting proper sight alignment.

Yep. :thumb:
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

Mister Freeze
custom title: 159.6

Post by Mister Freeze » 05 Sep 2012, 14:55

blueorison wrote:I have seen firsthand both S&W and PSA **** up.

Shoot 3G long enough, and you will see almost every brand **** up.

The end.

DPMS, Colt, GM Transmission Division, Mattel, Harrington & Richardson, and FN; all gave up the ghost at one point or another and needed at least a mag reseat or at worst a brekdown and thorough cleaning. Nature of the beast and all that.

PainKillaX
custom title: I rep that west

Post by PainKillaX » 05 Sep 2012, 15:35

Also with the irons, I can't speak for the Magpuls specifically but with the sights on our A4s and also my Troy backups, there's a big hole AND a little hole. The big hole is for low light conditions and under 200 yards, the small hole is for past that.

And as previously said, practice good sight picture. Build a good shooting position using the fundamentals. Control your breathing. When we were taught proper sight alignment they said get your sights on target, close your eyes and take a breath, and when you opened your eyes again and you were still on target you had natural sight something...I dunno. I'm learning it all again tomorrow so maybe I'll be more help :p

ShockedNKansas

Post by ShockedNKansas » 06 Sep 2012, 17:06

f3rr37 wrote:You learn to be very steady. You may want to find the military's M16 user manual, it will give you a good start on getting proper sight alignment.
Thanks for the tip! That was a good read...

http://archive.org/stream/OperatorsManu ... 0/mode/2up

ShockedNKansas

Post by ShockedNKansas » 06 Sep 2012, 17:10

PainKillaX wrote:Also with the irons, I can't speak for the Magpuls specifically but with the sights on our A4s and also my Troy backups, there's a big hole AND a little hole. The big hole is for low light conditions and under 200 yards, the small hole is for past that.

And as previously said, practice good sight picture. Build a good shooting position using the fundamentals. Control your breathing. When we were taught proper sight alignment they said get your sights on target, close your eyes and take a breath, and when you opened your eyes again and you were still on target you had natural sight something...I dunno. I'm learning it all again tomorrow so maybe I'll be more help :p
Yep, I inspected my Magpul MBUS more closely and it is indeed has two little flaps pressed together. One hole is bigger than the other. If you want the big hole you flip the smaller front hole flap down. I had been using the sight in the smallest hole configuration. I didn't know that I could separate those two little flaps until your advice made me look. Thanks! :thumb:

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 06 Sep 2012, 18:00

FYI those holes in the flaps are called apertures. One is made for your close range shots (the larger), and the other is made for more precise, long range shots.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.