Have you purchased a MAK-90 recently? *PLEASE READ*

Talk about your favorite longguns here.
fooschnickens
custom title: ~( ̄∇ ̄~) (~ ̄∇ ̄)~

Have you purchased a MAK-90 recently? *PLEASE READ*

Post by fooschnickens » 15 Jul 2012, 20:35

A buddy on a local forum brought this to everyone's attention today. Good info to know, unless you like federal PMITA prison. :p
There have been quite a few Mak-90's getting sold and traded on the site lately. They are some of the best AK-variants available and are built like tanks. I have personally sold 3 and noticed that many of the people that asked about trading were not really familiar with these particular guns. So, with that in mind I just wanted to post a picture of a rifle I ran across a few weeks ago. The gun was an excellent-condition Mak90 with beautiful wood furniture and was pre-stamped for an underfolder. The price was right and I set up a meeting with the seller.

I asked for some close-up pictures and liked what I saw... right up to the point where I saw the picture below. This particular gun was marked with "LABANU INC, Ronkonkoma, NY" as the importer. (not all rifles imported by Labanu are affected, they just seem to have gotten the lion's share of them) If you look above the magazine catch you will see that there are three rivets in a triangle pattern. The lower left pin should not be there and makes this gun an illegal "machine gun" in the eyes of the ATF. The fact that the hole is plugged means nothing and possession of this gun is a federal crime. If you come across one, do not buy it.

The picture below shows a Mak90 receiver without the "evil pin" or "evil hole".

http://www.f00tography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Corporation: n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.
-Ambrose Bierce

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Re: Have you purchased a MAK-90 recently? *PLEASE READ*

Post by Rapier1772 » 15 Jul 2012, 21:50

Good to know. Any corrections you can make if one has already purchased an illegal one - other than tell no one & hide it?
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.
Tactical Search Instructions & tips: http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12045

MrSlippyFist
Global Moderator
custom title: Sweeper

Post by MrSlippyFist » 16 Jul 2012, 06:56

Rapier1772 wrote:Good to know. Any corrections you can make if one has already purchased an illegal one - other than tell no one & hide it?
Grinder, putty, spray can.
Embrace the Suck

fzr confused

Post by fzr confused » 16 Jul 2012, 08:57

If they can track down the serial numbers to find out which ones and you grinded and filled yours, is that an added "crime"? Does that extra rivet actually let it go FA or something? Seems pretty bogus to me to buy a gun legally to find out later on that you committed a federal crime :(...should be finders keepers!

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 16 Jul 2012, 10:50

It doesn't let it go f/a but it makes it simple. It's like having a sear pin hole on an AR. If you block it off, it is not a problem.

There is no such thing as finders keepers with the ATF. Look at what happened with the Akins Accellerator.

fooschnickens
custom title: ~( ̄∇ ̄~) (~ ̄∇ ̄)~

Post by fooschnickens » 16 Jul 2012, 16:58

Rapier1772 wrote:Good to know. Any corrections you can make if one has already purchased an illegal one - other than tell no one & hide it?
Cut the receiver in half and use your parts in a new shell. That's really the only way to "be sure" you're in the clear given the ATF's nebulous rulings on such things.
http://www.f00tography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Corporation: n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.
-Ambrose Bierce

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Post by Cyberfly » 16 Jul 2012, 21:57

srt-4_jon wrote:It doesn't let it go f/a but it makes it simple. It's like having a sear pin hole on an AR. If you block it off, it is not a problem.
Okay, this is where I have a problem with our fedgov. This is just one more instance where they are attempting (if they actually have prosecuted anybody who purchased one of these weapons) to go after someone for something that hasn't been done, had no intentions of doing, and in a lot of people's cases, probably had no ABILITY to do.
Is this where Tom Cruise comes kicking in the door to arrest somebody for a Pre-Crime?
Its a FRIGGIN HOLE. No sear. No selector. Just...a hole.
Any butthead with a Black & Decker drill could turn their otherwise 'legal weapon' into 'a MACHINE GUN' in the eyes of the all-knowing federal government. :furious:

Just one more reason to overturn FOPA and do away with the registry altogether.
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**