Shooting some Magnums :)

Talk about your favorite longguns here.
Post Reply
Buffman
Silver Member
Posts: 2881
Joined: 12 Jan 2009, 22:48
Location: SW Michigan
Contact:

Shooting some Magnums :)

Post by Buffman » 27 Mar 2012, 18:33

This gun has no practical use, other than making a lot of noise, and costing a lot of money for me to shoot. But it is fun, even if I have Mall Ninja accuracy!






I did order some binary targets, and a Bipod, so there will be follow up videos :)

User avatar
panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Posts: 11542
Joined: 19 Aug 2008, 15:51
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.
Contact:

Re: Shooting some Magnums :)

Post by panzermk2 » 27 Mar 2012, 20:12

It is a great Deer and Elk gun.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz
Image

User avatar
blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
Posts: 10628
Joined: 11 Apr 2009, 14:28
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain
Contact:

Re: Shooting some Magnums :)

Post by blueorison » 27 Mar 2012, 21:32

Yeah, it's like, you don't even have to gut it.

You shoot it with the 300 RUM and it goes from deer to gutted, skin flies off/skinned, and meat already grounded and processed, ready for jerky.

:lmao:
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

User avatar
Rapier1772
Global Moderator
Posts: 12133
Joined: 20 Aug 2008, 09:00
Location: American Falls, ID

Re: Shooting some Magnums :)

Post by Rapier1772 » 27 Mar 2012, 23:50

blueorison wrote:You shoot it with the 300 RUM and it goes from deer to gutted, skin flies off/skinned, and meat already grounded and processed, ready for jerky.
:lmao:
You laugh but that is what happens when you shoot a grouse with a 30-06. Except for the jerky part, it's just dinner.
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.
Tactical Search Instructions & tips: http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12045

Alexader
Junior Member
Posts: 3
Joined: 31 Oct 2011, 13:00

Re: Shooting some Magnums :)

Post by Alexader » 29 Mar 2012, 00:29

i use one for moose/bear
also carry a 357mag for wolves/spruce hens(little big for the hens but if you hit them in the head you don't have to chop it off later)

User avatar
flyingirish04
Gold Member
Posts: 4783
Joined: 25 Aug 2008, 21:42
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland
Location: Great Plains, USA

Re: Shooting some Magnums :)

Post by flyingirish04 » 30 Mar 2012, 12:08

Buffman wrote:This gun has no practical use, other than making a lot of noise, and costing a lot of money for me to shoot. But it is fun, even if I have Mall Ninja accuracy!






I did order some binary targets, and a Bipod, so there will be follow up videos :)

I don't agree at all. For long range hunting, or for dangerous game, they have plenty of use. That being said the 338 RUM is the least capable of those types of guns. Never figured out why Remington shortened their 300 RUM (404 Jeffrey) case to make the 338 RUM. The necked up 338 Edge (338-300RUM) is a much more efficient round for pushing those high BC 300 gr Hybrids or SMKs. Cheaper than the Lapua (not as good of brass though).

If I am shooting further than 600 yards, I used my 338 Lapua on game. Soon it will be my Yogi for that. Keeping that projectile supersonic for as long as possible ensures you have ethical shots well beyond that 1000 yards.

Sure a marksman can be accurate with a 308 past a thousand, but when you can have as much energy at 1000 yards with the big 338s as a 308 has at muzzle point, that goes a long way in shooting.

Personally, the only gun I am comfortable taking a 600 yard shot on Big Game, is a big 338, like the RUM, Edge, Lapua, -378, or Yogi (Lapua Imp)
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

srt-4_jon
Senior Member
Posts: 868
Joined: 08 Jan 2010, 10:19

Re: Shooting some Magnums :)

Post by srt-4_jon » 30 Mar 2012, 12:25

what 338 has the same energy at 1000 as 308 at the muzzle?

User avatar
flyingirish04
Gold Member
Posts: 4783
Joined: 25 Aug 2008, 21:42
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland
Location: Great Plains, USA

Re: Shooting some Magnums :)

Post by flyingirish04 » 30 Mar 2012, 12:55

338 Edge, Lapua, -378, even the RUM is close. Energy, not velocity. Handloads of course you can get to within a few hundred ft-lbs. Factory, best I have seen will keep just under 1800 Ft-lbs to a 308's 2300 ft-lbs. I don't shoot factory loads.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

Buffman
Silver Member
Posts: 2881
Joined: 12 Jan 2009, 22:48
Location: SW Michigan
Contact:

Re: Shooting some Magnums :)

Post by Buffman » 30 Mar 2012, 16:58

flyingirish04 wrote:
Buffman wrote:This gun has no practical use, other than making a lot of noise, and costing a lot of money for me to shoot. But it is fun, even if I have Mall Ninja accuracy!






I did order some binary targets, and a Bipod, so there will be follow up videos :)

I don't agree at all. For long range hunting, or for dangerous game, they have plenty of use. That being said the 338 RUM is the least capable of those types of guns. Never figured out why Remington shortened their 300 RUM (404 Jeffrey) case to make the 338 RUM. The necked up 338 Edge (338-300RUM) is a much more efficient round for pushing those high BC 300 gr Hybrids or SMKs. Cheaper than the Lapua (not as good of brass though).

If I am shooting further than 600 yards, I used my 338 Lapua on game. Soon it will be my Yogi for that. Keeping that projectile supersonic for as long as possible ensures you have ethical shots well beyond that 1000 yards.

Sure a marksman can be accurate with a 308 past a thousand, but when you can have as much energy at 1000 yards with the big 338s as a 308 has at muzzle point, that goes a long way in shooting.

Personally, the only gun I am comfortable taking a 600 yard shot on Big Game, is a big 338, like the RUM, Edge, Lapua, -378, or Yogi (Lapua Imp)
I meant practical use for me where I live. The most dangerous game down here are probably 2 legged kind. I really wish the gun was set in a bigger and heavier stock to reduce recoil.

I think I should save up some coin and get a muzzlebrake.

User avatar
flyingirish04
Gold Member
Posts: 4783
Joined: 25 Aug 2008, 21:42
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland
Location: Great Plains, USA

Re: Shooting some Magnums :)

Post by flyingirish04 » 30 Mar 2012, 17:39

Or sell it and buy a sendero with one already. ;)

Just not an A-Bolt fan. I know I am in the minority. Looks nice, for sure.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

Buffman
Silver Member
Posts: 2881
Joined: 12 Jan 2009, 22:48
Location: SW Michigan
Contact:

Re: Shooting some Magnums :)

Post by Buffman » 30 Mar 2012, 18:23

I'm not normally a rifle and or even bolt action guy, but given what I paid for it, Im not complaining

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests