.308 brakes

Talk about your favorite longguns here.
VeTTeMaNC486
Member
Posts: 400
Joined: 09 Jul 2010, 09:08

.308 brakes

Post by VeTTeMaNC486 » 22 Dec 2011, 00:00

I am getting a dpms LR-308 for christmas. I have not shot it yet but I know I am going to want a brake of some kind on it to reduce the recoil/muzzle climb. Any of you guys have any experience with 308 brakes? Recommendations? Noise/blast is not a concern to me.

Thanks

User avatar
Rapier1772
Global Moderator
Posts: 12133
Joined: 20 Aug 2008, 09:00
Location: American Falls, ID

Re: .308 brakes

Post by Rapier1772 » 22 Dec 2011, 00:31

I asked that question here a while back for my PTR & didn't get much response. A guy at the local gun shop put a Surefire on his (I think its a DPMS). Not sure what kind he has but this is the one I ordered for mine.
http://www.surefire.com/MB762-211C-Muzzle-BrakeAdapter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I actually put off ordering it until recently & they are on back order (expect Jan). Gave them CC info & I'll know when it ships because that is when they bill me :laugh:
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.
Tactical Search Instructions & tips: http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12045

VeTTeMaNC486
Member
Posts: 400
Joined: 09 Jul 2010, 09:08

Re: .308 brakes

Post by VeTTeMaNC486 » 22 Dec 2011, 05:22

Rapier1772 wrote:I asked that question here a while back for my PTR & didn't get much response. A guy at the local gun shop put a Surefire on his (I think its a DPMS). Not sure what kind he has but this is the one I ordered for mine.
http://www.surefire.com/MB762-211C-Muzzle-BrakeAdapter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I actually put off ordering it until recently & they are on back order (expect Jan). Gave them CC info & I'll know when it ships because that is when they bill me :laugh:
Cool. That one would be neato if one had a can to go on the end of it.

I was looking at the Primary Weapons FCS30. I don't care for the odd look, but it seems to be effective.

User avatar
jgreenberg01
Platinum Member
Posts: 3736
Joined: 17 Jul 2009, 14:32
custom title: FNP-45 Cylon
Location: Palm Coast, FL
Contact:

Re: .308 brakes

Post by jgreenberg01 » 22 Dec 2011, 05:56

I use a custom brake on my LR308 and unfortunately I don't have anything to compare it to, butttt...

I found that switching to a Restor hydraulic buffer was at least as effective as the brake with regard to reducing recoil.

YMMV of course.
0100001101101111011011010110010100100000011000010110111001100100001000000111010001100001011010110110010100100000011010010111010000101110

srt-4_jon
Senior Member
Posts: 868
Joined: 08 Jan 2010, 10:19

Re: .308 brakes

Post by srt-4_jon » 22 Dec 2011, 11:58

If you plan on hunting with it, get a removable brake.

VeTTeMaNC486
Member
Posts: 400
Joined: 09 Jul 2010, 09:08

Re: .308 brakes

Post by VeTTeMaNC486 » 22 Dec 2011, 13:29

jgreenberg01 wrote:I use a custom brake on my LR308 and unfortunately I don't have anything to compare it to, butttt...

I found that switching to a Restor hydraulic buffer was at least as effective as the brake with regard to reducing recoil.

YMMV of course.
What kind of stock does yours have? Can you get a hydraulic buffer that works with the carbine buffer tube? I am probably going to get an adjustable gas block, wouldn't that negate the effectiveness of a hydraulic buffer?

I guess I need to do some research about those things, I have never looked into them. (hydraulic buffer)
srt-4_jon wrote:If you plan on hunting with it, get a removable brake.
I wouldn't shoot it without hearing protection either way. Only way I would do that is life or death type situations.

User avatar
jgreenberg01
Platinum Member
Posts: 3736
Joined: 17 Jul 2009, 14:32
custom title: FNP-45 Cylon
Location: Palm Coast, FL
Contact:

Re: .308 brakes

Post by jgreenberg01 » 22 Dec 2011, 13:39

VeTTeMaNC486 wrote:
jgreenberg01 wrote:I use a custom brake on my LR308 and unfortunately I don't have anything to compare it to, butttt...

I found that switching to a Restor hydraulic buffer was at least as effective as the brake with regard to reducing recoil.

YMMV of course.
What kind of stock does yours have? Can you get a hydraulic buffer that works with the carbine buffer tube? I am probably going to get an adjustable gas block, wouldn't that negate the effectiveness of a hydraulic buffer?

I guess I need to do some research about those things, I have never looked into them. (hydraulic buffer)
The make a version for both fixed and collapsible stocks. I have a CAA stock with a monopod:

Image
Image
0100001101101111011011010110010100100000011000010110111001100100001000000111010001100001011010110110010100100000011010010111010000101110

FNtacticalNUT
Junior Member
Posts: 129
Joined: 10 Nov 2011, 13:47
custom title: GOOD ole VIRGINIA
Location: Charlottesville VA

Re: .308 brakes

Post by FNtacticalNUT » 22 Dec 2011, 14:57

Which Harris Bipod adapter did you use?
It is something I am looking for
What optic is on that beauty?
Beautiful rifle man
Can I have one?
Would love to shoot that awsome BABY

User avatar
jgreenberg01
Platinum Member
Posts: 3736
Joined: 17 Jul 2009, 14:32
custom title: FNP-45 Cylon
Location: Palm Coast, FL
Contact:

Re: .308 brakes

Post by jgreenberg01 » 22 Dec 2011, 15:21

Wow, the early onset Alzheimer's must be setting in. I can't remember which bipod adapter I used and I can't find the receipt, which is strange because I have like every receipt I ever got.

The scope is the one thing I really cheaped out on. My mission was to get a Nightforce but didn't have the $$$ at the time. I put on an Osprey 10-40x50 scope which is fine out to 200 yards. Any money that ended up burning in my pocket eventually went towards suppressors and ammo. If I can ever find a deal on a Nightforce, I will replace the optic.
0100001101101111011011010110010100100000011000010110111001100100001000000111010001100001011010110110010100100000011010010111010000101110

FNtacticalNUT
Junior Member
Posts: 129
Joined: 10 Nov 2011, 13:47
custom title: GOOD ole VIRGINIA
Location: Charlottesville VA

Re: .308 brakes

Post by FNtacticalNUT » 22 Dec 2011, 17:21

That sure is a sweet machine.
GREAT looking 7.62
Thanks for the info

User avatar
blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
Posts: 10628
Joined: 11 Apr 2009, 14:28
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain
Contact:

Re: .308 brakes

Post by blueorison » 23 Dec 2011, 12:19

VeTTeMaNC486 wrote:I am getting a dpms LR-308 for christmas. I have not shot it yet but I know I am going to want a brake of some kind on it to reduce the recoil/muzzle climb. Any of you guys have any experience with 308 brakes? Recommendations? Noise/blast is not a concern to me.

Thanks
Vette;

to answer your question, if you are searching for the brake that would suffocate the most felt recoil regardless of noise, etc.

Get the PWS. It's high value. And I mean, extremely high. Without machining your own, this is my suggestion. If you want a higher-dollar brake that is very effective, get a JP recoil elim.

If you want one that reduces the gas blast that won't affect you but will affect those around you, get a BC.

Hope that helps.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

User avatar
flyingirish04
Gold Member
Posts: 4783
Joined: 25 Aug 2008, 21:42
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland
Location: Great Plains, USA

Re: .308 brakes

Post by flyingirish04 » 23 Dec 2011, 22:12

Accuracy Systems Inc makes some really effective breaks. Check em out.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

User avatar
starfury
Junior Member
Posts: 134
Joined: 30 Dec 2008, 16:58

Re: .308 brakes

Post by starfury » 24 Dec 2011, 10:11

Here are some interesting ones ...http://www.ar15performance.com/muzzle_devices" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rotorman
Junior Member
Posts: 2
Joined: 04 Sep 2008, 07:23
Location: Lancaster, VA

Re: .308 brakes

Post by rotorman » 05 Jan 2012, 19:05

I put a Miculek Compensator on my LR308. It cut recoil to probably 1/3 of what it was. It's a real sweet shooter now.

VeTTeMaNC486
Member
Posts: 400
Joined: 09 Jul 2010, 09:08

Re: .308 brakes

Post by VeTTeMaNC486 » 09 Jan 2012, 11:52

Ordered the FSC30, as well as some other goodies. I hate ordering stuff online, the wait for it to arrive is KILLER. :laugh:

Thanks for the responses guys!

User avatar
blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
Posts: 10628
Joined: 11 Apr 2009, 14:28
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain
Contact:

Re: .308 brakes

Post by blueorison » 09 Jan 2012, 11:58

Congrats.

You'll like the FSC. The Miculek and JP are much louder.

Though I never cared how loud they were, haha.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

VeTTeMaNC486
Member
Posts: 400
Joined: 09 Jul 2010, 09:08

Re: .308 brakes

Post by VeTTeMaNC486 » 09 Jan 2012, 14:17

Yeah I dont really care how loud it is. I almost never shoot indoors. Always were hearing protection and double up inside. The flash supression is what did it for me. If it works almost as well as the 556 version ill be pretty dang happy.

VeTTeMaNC486
Member
Posts: 400
Joined: 09 Jul 2010, 09:08

Re: .308 brakes

Post by VeTTeMaNC486 » 12 Jan 2012, 23:39

Finally came today. Was so giddy waiting all day for my box-o-goodies. :D

Muzzle break went on okay, would liked to have gotten it tighter. If it loosens I will play with the shims more I guess. One thing I noticed, the Pmags do not fit very tight in the mag well, the wobble a decent ammo. We will see how this affects function tomorrow I guess. Also, I didnt insert a fully loaded mag, but with 13 or so rounds in it, the rounds rattle like a baby's toy. I cannot say that I am overly impressed by the Pmags. They look great though :laugh: .

User avatar
blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
Posts: 10628
Joined: 11 Apr 2009, 14:28
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain
Contact:

Re: .308 brakes

Post by blueorison » 12 Jan 2012, 23:44

What do you mean tighter? You shouldn't be able to get it "tight" or "loose" if you use the crush-washers. Once you align it and leave it, it's already set at tightness. If you loosen it even a bit, throw the washer out and use a new one.

Can't wait to see her roar!!!
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

srt-4_jon
Senior Member
Posts: 868
Joined: 08 Jan 2010, 10:19

Re: .308 brakes

Post by srt-4_jon » 13 Jan 2012, 02:06

he is using shims, not a crush washer.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests