Uppers and Lowers...to match or not to match?

Talk about your favorite longguns here.
nrv216

Uppers and Lowers...to match or not to match?

Post by nrv216 » 24 Sep 2011, 12:42

Guys,
I am admittedly more of a pistol shooter, and while I have owned ARs in the past, I am by no means an expert. My younger brother is looking to build or buy a precision AR chambered in 5.56/.223 and was asking my advice as to what brand to buy. I had a bunch of suggestions but he was also wondering if he could save some money by purchasing a cheaper lower and spending more on the upper. I know that this is possible but what effects does this have on accuracy and overall function. I would think that, as long as the two receivers fit tight, function would not be affected.

I have seen other discussions on this topic on other forums where people were saying that all lowers are made by a handful of manufacturers and are basically of the same quality but I do not necessarily believe this. Overall, I was wondering how you guys feel about mixing and matching uppers and lowers. My brother's purpose is long range (for the cartridge) accuracy, target shooting and some competition. An example of the match he proposed was a lwrc piston upper on a dpms or rra lower. Thanks in advance for any input

nrv216

Visceral_Malice

Re: Uppers and Lowers...to match or not to match?

Post by Visceral_Malice » 24 Sep 2011, 13:44

It should be fine. The only thing the lower does is hold the mag and the FCG. The upper is where you should spend the money to make sure you have good, functioning parts and an accurate barrel, etc.

If you are looking for a cheap lower, I keep hearing the plum crazy polymer lowers are great. They are really light, being all polymer. The only issue I have heard is 9mm uppers tend to tear up the hammer, but otherwise they are supposed to be good to go. Spike's are good too.

Team Helotes

Post by Team Helotes » 24 Sep 2011, 16:07

All of mine match, but I am anal with my guns.

nrv216

Post by nrv216 » 24 Sep 2011, 18:48

Visceral_Malice wrote:It should be fine. The only thing the lower does is hold the mag and the FCG. The upper is where you should spend the money to make sure you have good, functioning parts and an accurate barrel, etc.

If you are looking for a cheap lower, I keep hearing the plum crazy polymer lowers are great. They are really light, being all polymer. The only issue I have heard is 9mm uppers tend to tear up the hammer, but otherwise they are supposed to be good to go. Spike's are good too.
Thanks! Yeah, I have heard of both of those and will pass the info on to my brother.
Team Helotes wrote:All of mine match, but I am anal with my guns.
I am the same way with my guns! However, as much as I could try to sway my brother to build the AR I want :evil: I do keep forcing myself to remember that it is his gun.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 24 Sep 2011, 19:45

nrv216 wrote:Guys,
I am admittedly more of a pistol shooter, and while I have owned ARs in the past, I am by no means an expert. My younger brother is looking to build or buy a precision AR chambered in 5.56/.223 and was asking my advice as to what brand to buy. I had a bunch of suggestions but he was also wondering if he could save some money by purchasing a cheaper lower and spending more on the upper. I know that this is possible but what effects does this have on accuracy and overall function. I would think that, as long as the two receivers fit tight, function would not be affected.

I have seen other discussions on this topic on other forums where people were saying that all lowers are made by a handful of manufacturers and are basically of the same quality but I do not necessarily believe this. Overall, I was wondering how you guys feel about mixing and matching uppers and lowers. My brother's purpose is long range (for the cartridge) accuracy, target shooting and some competition. An example of the match he proposed was a lwrc piston upper on a dpms or rra lower. Thanks in advance for any input

nrv216

This was started by OCD gun owners. AKA 99% of gun owners, who want their things to look pretty and unscratched etc.

It really won't effect accuracy for what your brother is doing, it's a marketing ploy which works on the majority of gun owners. But if your brother is building a serious long range platform, they by all means spend the extra $50 or whatever to get a matching, tight upper/lower. It'll make him feel better about it (I'm not trying to be sarcastic, just an honest statement).

Myself and other long range rifle shooters will tell you the same.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

nrv216

Post by nrv216 » 24 Sep 2011, 20:54

So I am correct in my understanding that the tight fit of a matching upper/lower is the factor that provides the biggest return in terms of accuracy. In that case, I do keep hearing that the plum crazy lowers are reputedly very tight fitting for most uppers so that might be a good bet if he chooses to go the mix and match route. Once again, you have all given me a lot to think about. Thanks.

nrv216

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 24 Sep 2011, 21:52

...negative. I was contributing that the tight fit does not provide a big return in accuracy.

Also, do not buy a plum crazy lower. They have great stock triggers, but do not buy one.
Shoot more, worry less.

jmz5
Site Admin

Post by jmz5 » 25 Sep 2011, 04:21

Out of all of mine, only two match. I shoot some of my best groups from a gun that has a hodgepodge of parts. But those groups come from my own ammo, and IMHO, you have to roll your own for real accuracy. Cartridge makers make ammo that has to fit in feed in every gun, you only have to make ammo that fits and feeds in your gun.

Blue has shown my ammo works well in his AR also. :D
كاف

nrv216

Post by nrv216 » 25 Sep 2011, 08:50

blueorison wrote:...negative. I was contributing that the tight fit does not provide a big return in accuracy.
Right, I understand its not a big return but it is the issue at hand when discussing accuracy being affected by mismatched receivers. Poor wording on my part.
blueorison wrote: Also, do not buy a plum crazy lower. They have great stock triggers, but do not buy one.
May I ask why?

Thanks for the feedback jmz5
Last edited by nrv216 on 25 Sep 2011, 12:29, edited 1 time in total.

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 25 Sep 2011, 10:16

If you're worried about the upper and lower not fitting tightly together, you can just install an accuwedge and things should be quite snug with very very little play between the upper and lower.

57js

Post by 57js » 25 Sep 2011, 13:09

blueorison wrote:...negative. I was contributing that the tight fit does not provide a big return in accuracy.

Also, do not buy a plum crazy lower. They have great stock triggers, but do not buy one.
Why not buy a plum crazy lower? I was considering putting my AR57 upper on a plum crazy lower at some point.

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 25 Sep 2011, 13:20

I was a big fan of the plum crazy lowers until lowers started getting priced cheaper. You can have this forged one for only $20 more.

http://www.slickguns.com/product/ar-15- ... grip-13999" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 25 Sep 2011, 14:58

nrv216 wrote:
blueorison wrote:
blueorison wrote: Also, do not buy a plum crazy lower. They have great stock triggers, but do not buy one.
May I ask why?

Bad QC. They are not robust enough for long-term use. Magazines sometimes get stuck in the magwell. Many other reasons I don't want to get into. This isn't internet hearsay; I do not know what they say about Plumcrazy online. I only give advice from my personal experience.
Shoot more, worry less.

57js

Post by 57js » 25 Sep 2011, 16:34

blueorison wrote:
nrv216 wrote:
blueorison wrote:
May I ask why?

Bad QC. They are not robust enough for long-term use. Magazines sometimes get stuck in the magwell. Many other reasons I don't want to get into. This isn't internet hearsay; I do not know what they say about Plumcrazy online. I only give advice from my personal experience.
Magazines getting stuck in magwell don't matter much to me since I would use it exclusively with the AR57 upper which ejects casings down the magazine well. The bad QC is something that concerns me. Is there any other manufacturer that makes a good polymer lower?

nrv216

Post by nrv216 » 25 Sep 2011, 19:27

blueorison wrote:Bad QC. They are not robust enough for long-term use. Magazines sometimes get stuck in the magwell. Many other reasons I don't want to get into. This isn't internet hearsay; I do not know what they say about Plumcrazy online. I only give advice from my personal experience.
If they do indeed have bad quality control, how is their customer service? How many lowers did you go through before you arrived at your conclusion and wrote the company off entirely? Even large companies like fn let a bad product through once in a while. Since this post is to gather information for my brother's use, I will inform him as to what all of you have said but, as with any other information I research on the internet, I do take everything I hear on this forum for what it is worth...basically internet hearsay. As always thanks for all of the input. I for one would still consider the plum crazy lowers. A new polymer product that some people love and other's hate... kind of reminds me of a polymer pistol that changed the face of the firearms industry forever. Some people still hate Glocks but mine have served me well for years. For 120 bucks I could see giving a new product a try.

nrv216

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 25 Sep 2011, 19:35

nrv216 wrote:
blueorison wrote:Bad QC. They are not robust enough for long-term use. Magazines sometimes get stuck in the magwell. Many other reasons I don't want to get into. This isn't internet hearsay; I do not know what they say about Plumcrazy online. I only give advice from my personal experience.
If they do indeed have bad quality control, how is their customer service? How many lowers did you go through before you arrived at your conclusion and wrote the company off entirely? Even large companies like fn let a bad product through once in a while. Since this post is to gather information for my brother's use, I will inform him as to what all of you have said but, as with any other information I research on the internet, I do take everything I hear on this forum for what it is worth...basically internet hearsay. As always thanks for all of the input. I for one would still consider the plum crazy lowers. A new polymer product that some people love and other's hate... kind of reminds me of a polymer pistol that changed the face of the firearms industry forever. Some people still hate Glocks but mine have served me well for years. For 120 bucks I could see giving a new product a try.

nrv216
GREAT JOB!!!! :) :) :)

You actually get what I've been trying to say. Don't take what I say as truth, make sure you buy one and try it out for yourself, that way you'll REALLY know firsthand!!! :)

That's exactly what I've been saying the entire time. I've tried 3 Plumcrazy's. I do not remember if the mag stuck in all of them. Please go ahead and buy one and then we'll have more input from users :)
Shoot more, worry less.