AR15 guys

Talk about your favorite longguns here.
flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Re: AR15 guys

Post by flyingirish04 » 29 Apr 2011, 11:06

Honestly I don't know off hand. I was just browsing the shop for a used eliptical and noticed several bowflex's there. Not sure what model.
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Post by Cyberfly » 29 Apr 2011, 11:30

Oh well.
Six of one or half dozen of the other.
I know what its worth to me.
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 29 Apr 2011, 13:12

Fly,

STAY THE SNOBBY CHINS AWAY FROM THIS OFFER. The Olympic arms isn't worth more than $450, at most.

I think Irish is on the money with RRA. BCM is also a decent choice, but overpriced a little bit.

STAY AWAY FROM:

Olympic Arms
Delton
Bushmaster (especially)
Stag

Like Irish says, there are people who shoot AR's, then there are people that SHOOT their ARs.

Out of any one on the forum I promise you I have seen the most AR builds and brands firsthand firing (and failing). I've RO'd hundreds of competitors at carbine matches, multigun matches, etc. that shoot custom billet ARs to Bushwackers. This has allowed me to gain firsthand data points and analyze the failures of different builds and brands. The last carbine and rifle match I was at was a national match with over 300 competitors. Surprisingly, I saw many failures in ARs. I was honestly shocked. But it was very beneficial to note the builds that failed and the problems they had in the sandy environment. Other builds had 0 issues (like mine. Sand all over till the rifle had a brownish-red tint, but 0 issues with bolt movement and locking and chambering).

As someone above stated, many times the mfg. claims to be solid and their chambers turn out to be out of spec. Have to be reamed. Have to be completely redone etc. Bushmaster is one of these guilty party's. They are full of it. I don't know if they have improved their shady practices, but the old ones are horrible. Cut corners.

I've also seen custom AR's that were so tight in fit that they completely failed in windy, sandy environments.

Just like the whole stupid ideology of "look at my SUPER TIGHT FIT 1911!!! FIT AND FINISH IS SUPERB"

Everytime I hear someone say that I laugh inside because I know and have seen tightly fit guns like their 1911's and STI's fail when a few grains of unburnt powder or sand get into them. They keep them in their precious hardcases and never use them in hard environments so they think their money spent translates into an excellent firearm.

Same with the custom ARs that are too tight on tolerances in the moving parts. But you don't have to worry about that if you're buying factory brands like RRA etc. that actually do real torture testing on their platforms.

Avoid this deal. Many people sell their AR's frequently. Wait for another deal.

Also, stay away from "other material" builds like Plumcrazy's polymer receivers and the "super light" stuff. BAAAD
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

Robar

Post by Robar » 29 Apr 2011, 13:32

blueorison wrote:Fly,

STAY THE SNOBBY CHINS AWAY FROM THIS OFFER. The Olympic arms isn't worth more than $450, at most.

I think Irish is on the money with RRA. BCM is also a decent choice, but overpriced a little bit.

STAY AWAY FROM:

Olympic Arms
Delton
Bushmaster (especially)
Stag

Like Irish says, there are people who shoot AR's, then there are people that SHOOT their ARs.

Out of any one on the forum I promise you I have seen the most AR builds and brands firsthand firing (and failing). I've RO'd hundreds of competitors at carbine matches, multigun matches, etc. that shoot custom billet ARs to Bushwackers. This has allowed me to gain firsthand data points and analyze the failures of different builds and brands. The last carbine and rifle match I was at was a national match with over 300 competitors. Surprisingly, I saw many failures in ARs. I was honestly shocked. But it was very beneficial to note the builds that failed and the problems they had in the sandy environment. Other builds had 0 issues (like mine. Sand all over till the rifle had a brownish-red tint, but 0 issues with bolt movement and locking and chambering).

As someone above stated, many times the mfg. claims to be solid and their chambers turn out to be out of spec. Have to be reamed. Have to be completely redone etc. Bushmaster is one of these guilty party's. They are full of it. I don't know if they have improved their shady practices, but the old ones are horrible. Cut corners.

I've also seen custom AR's that were so tight in fit that they completely failed in windy, sandy environments.

Just like the whole stupid ideology of "look at my SUPER TIGHT FIT 1911!!! FIT AND FINISH IS SUPERB"

Everytime I hear someone say that I laugh inside because I know and have seen tightly fit guns like their 1911's and STI's fail when a few grains of unburnt powder or sand get into them. They keep them in their precious hardcases and never use them in hard environments so they think their money spent translates into an excellent firearm.

Same with the custom ARs that are too tight on tolerances in the moving parts. But you don't have to worry about that if you're buying factory brands like RRA etc. that actually do real torture testing on their platforms.

Avoid this deal. Many people sell their AR's frequently. Wait for another deal.

Also, stay away from "other material" builds like Plumcrazy's polymer receivers and the "super light" stuff. BAAAD
:agree:

fzr confused

Post by fzr confused » 29 Apr 2011, 14:41

i thought stag was a good brand? my uncle (i call him uncle one-up) bought a stag not even 2 weeks after i bought my RRA and he was all "stag is the only way to go...blah blah blah....mine is soooo much better than yours...blah blah blah". but seems to be after reading this thread as well as a few more that he can shove it! lol

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 29 Apr 2011, 15:25

What many people don't realize is that there is a very solid line on which most if not all firearms operate.

This is the line of failure.

People think that because their firearm has been through ____,000 rounds, that it means that it is a great firearm.

As I always phrase; correlation =/= causation.

Just because your firearm has been through that many rounds, it does not mean it is built with quality and correctly. Usually, thousands of rounds will be a good indicator. However, it could also be that your firearm has been riding the line of failure the entire time without crossing it, and all that is holding the function of the firearm together is a pin that is slowly wearing down and about to break.

Let me give you a perfect example. The one "tacti" buddy that I have (I cannot stand more than this one) had a Stag for 2 years. I can attest that this guy shoots his carbine all the time. And I mean, ALL THE TIME. He was one of those "carbine" guys. But I won't get into that mentality. I've since brought him over to the correct philosophies regarding shooting practically (< key word).

It took much too much pain and sweat to do so, and I will never try this insurmountable task again. Those of you who have friends with this mentality, just give up. It really isn't worth the pain.

Moving onwards; after thousands of rounds through his Stag upper, it kept working fine. In fact, I took him past the 100 yard line (imagine that! What incredible distance for a carbine guy! We pistol shooters shoot past 100 yds with our pistols.). Past 100 yards he was hitting the paper, a 8inch target, with his EOtech.

Good shooting.

Then, while the gun still functioned seemingly "perfectly" fine, and with ALL the reason to think that this carbine was a great quality upper from Stag, he brought it into the shop for maintenance and they found out that his barrel nut was completely loose.

If you're familiar with ARs, you know what this could have meant.

This was his and my firsthand experience with Stag. I hope that sheds some light. I've also had firsthand experiences with other less-than-acceptable company receivers such as Plumcrazy...etc...
Shoot more, worry less.

ChuckD
custom title: Tactical Tier2 Ninja

Post by ChuckD » 29 Apr 2011, 20:13

Sorry Jon, I agree there are some manufactures out there to stay away from, but I don't really see how you're calling BCM overpriced.
Just my honest opinion.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 29 Apr 2011, 21:12

I said a little overpriced. As in, their uppers would cost about $100 less if you'd built it yourself.
Shoot more, worry less.

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 29 Apr 2011, 21:25

Blue,

That is definitely true about custom ARs, especially custom forged receivers being to tight and not operating in less than ideal conditions. That is what I love about SI-Defense. They have completely tested their gear and stand behind it working no matter the condition. You get what you pay for with them.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 29 Apr 2011, 21:30

Irish,

will keep that recommendation in mind. One prototype billet AR I've had good experiences with is made by Mega. I did not have the chance to fire it for more than 6 hours in a dusty environment.
Shoot more, worry less.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.

Post by panzermk2 » 30 Apr 2011, 09:57

Get an FAL.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Post by Cyberfly » 30 Apr 2011, 10:45

Well, the kid kept after me and finally asked how much 'ta boot' I'd need to work this deal. I finally told him the least I could take would be $400, based entirely on forum member input. That was too rich for his blood so I was able to avoid the bullet so to speak.
Who knows? Maybe I'll just keep the Bowflex and start using it. Burn off some of this winter coat...from about five winters ago...hehehe
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 01 May 2011, 07:57

Might not be a bad idea. I know I can use my workout equipment more as well. I haven't worked out very constant since I got out of the service. It shows. My 'winter coat' is 30 pounds heavier than it was back then. :D

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 10 Jan 2014, 20:15

I "blinged" my AR. Nickle plating on the BCG, ~1/2 the bolt, & the trigger mechanism.
I wanted the BCG plated for cleaning reasons. I go through so much solvent & rags trying to clean that thing, it's ridiculous. But with the nickle plating, a dry rag is all you need to clean it, then some lube, drop it back in & you're done.
I was really hoping it would get my trigger down to ~3lb but they said anything less than 4.5lb can result in light primer strikes :( Maybe I wasted my money on it, will find out later.
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.
Tactical Search Instructions & tips: http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12045

Vortec MAX
Gold Member

Post by Vortec MAX » 10 Jan 2014, 21:50

You dug up a three year old post to show us that :)

Just kidding.

Did that Aussie guy from Idaho Falls do that for ya?

I didn't know you had a Colt.

Mike

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 10 Jan 2014, 22:29

Yes, unlike SOME people (you know who you are) I actually do a search before starting a new thread. Oh look, there's one that works... I'll just zombify that one instead of cluttering things with another thread about the same sort of thing. :monkey: :p

I'm not sure where he's from but yes, he does have an accent - Quality Arms out of Rigby. They're also the ones I am going to get a 6.5 Grendel upper from if/when I get the money.
They have a local guy in Chubbuck so I just gave him the lower & BCG. He took it up to their shop & brought it back a week later. No FFL fees & no shipping :thumb:
Tactical Search Instructions & tips: http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12045

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 11 Jan 2014, 10:33

FailZero Bolts are the way to go!

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 11 Jan 2014, 13:33

toyslr wrote:FailZero Bolts are the way to go!
Looks like about the same thing.
Cost is higher but then again, for $60 more than QA, you end up with a spare BCG. Pretty good deal actually considering what BCG's sell for.

Where the hell were you a week ago? :p :laugh: